Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,148 members, 7,811,263 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:47 AM

Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. (79189 Views)

Japa: I Need Assistance On My Planned Relocation To Denmark / JAPA: I Used To Enjoy A Comfortable Life Back Home - Man Laments In UK (video) / JAPA: I Want To Leave Nigeria To New Zealand Or UK (advice Needed) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by Usefulsense: 3:27pm On Sep 01, 2023
This is my story. Please advice.

I sent my wife to Australia in 2021 on student visa.

She has invited us, myself and our children aged 12 and 9 and our visa is out. I have also paid like 6 months fees for my children school which was a requirement for the visa.

Owing to her performance at her work place, the company she works for has promised to sponsor for PR. Infact, the process just began and we are sure of having the PR.

I am currently 48 and won't be able to support my family working in Nigeria. Wify has encouraged me that we will be fine that abroad is meant for 2 people.

My only constraint is my age, hence my question. If you are in my shoe, will you travel?

By the way, I work for a private firm here in Nigeria and you know what it is working for a family company.

76 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by felixzo1(m): 3:39pm On Sep 01, 2023
If I may ask what was your motive for sending your wife for studies? Why do you think at 48 you cannot change profession or starting a different Field. You are still young, Nigeria makes one feel too old

714 Likes 47 Shares

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by Wodu89: 3:41pm On Sep 01, 2023
Usefulsense:

She has invited us, myself and our children aged 12 and 9 and our visa is out. I have also paid like 6 months fees for my children school which was a requirement for the visa.

Owing to her performance at her work place, the company she works for has promised to sponsor for PR. Infact, the process just began and we are sure of having the PR.

I am currently 48 and won't be able to support my family working in Nigeria. Wify has encouraged me that we will be fine that abroad is meant for 2 people.

My only constraint is my age, hence my question. If you are in my shoe, will you travel?

By the way, I work for a private firm here in Nigeria and you know what it is working for a family company.

You will receive satanic advice that will scatter what you've been building privately. Oga travel and explore, see the world. Refuse to the caged. You can't earn lower than Nigeria in Aussie, not even it's equals. So why stalling ?

601 Likes 37 Shares

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by Kriss216: 3:43pm On Sep 01, 2023

You try o.

You're one of the few strongest men in Nigeria.

343 Likes 23 Shares

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by ednut1(m): 3:47pm On Sep 01, 2023
Why are you scared You are not confident of your own skills You dont want to take courses or certifications that will improve your chances Abeg pack ya bag

196 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by Usefulsense: 3:50pm On Sep 01, 2023
felixzo1:
If I may ask what was your motive for sending your wife for studies? Why do you think at 48 you change profession or starting a different Field. You are still young, Nigeria makes one feel too old

To be honest with you, the plan is for the entire family to migrate.

In fact, i did my ielts last year and made 7,7, 7.5, 7

As soon as our visa grant came out, I started developing cold feet on account of age.

She has advised that I go and learn forklift driving.
I will commence that this month.

289 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by Offpointng: 3:58pm On Sep 01, 2023
Usefulsense:

As soon as our visa grant came out, I started developing cold feet on account of age.

Adding to your skills also, Learn how to kill snakes in Nigeria, starting from, Boas to Pythons, Vipers and the likes It'd be an essential skill when you get to Australia

Like this like this, I don make like $250 today alone killing snakes for my neighbours. I not only have free money from this skill, I also have free meat for the whole of September. Thank allah for my blasting freezer

256 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by Xscape1993(m): 4:01pm On Sep 01, 2023
Just 48 age?

56 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by mokset123: 4:10pm On Sep 01, 2023
Usefulsense:

how much do you earn monthly, if is not in the range of 600 and above. Just kukuma join her. She is right oh, abroad is meant for 2 except you want to loose her

152 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by mokset123: 4:12pm On Sep 01, 2023
Usefulsense:

good option

9 Likes

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by gaby(m): 4:14pm On Sep 01, 2023
This is an opportunity to go get your life properly sorted and to secure your children's future.

Grab it like BAT would say and run away with it my friend.

Are you seriously asking this question considering the Nigeria that is starting you in the face?

My only advice for you will be to work on yourself as per our culture of "I am the head of the house in the African way" and you are good to go.

This is a lifetime opportunity on a platter, bro.

Run with it.

100 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by Pappij: 4:14pm On Sep 01, 2023
Usefulsense:

Age is not a barrier, your mindset could be.

I'm about your age and made a similar move earlier this year, although with a slightly larger family composition.

See, with your work experience; you are good to go. One or two certifications on the side will be the icing on the cake.

Just pray and concentrate on your craft, you will be fine. Jitters are fine but shouldn't deter you.

89 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by ojun50(m): 4:22pm On Sep 01, 2023
Baba befor I close my eye nd open am, make you don leave this country sharp sharp. Sha you like suffer Ni.

You no get problem go sharp sharp sharp has he dey hot

84 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by Usefulsense: 4:23pm On Sep 01, 2023
mokset123:
how much do you earn monthly, if is not in the range of 600 and above. Just kukuma join her. She is right oh, abroad is meant for 2 except you want to loose her

I earn a little less than, N1.1m monthly net.
I am a qualified accountant.

But you see, working for a private company in Nigeria, not easy bro.

29 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by Usefulsense: 4:25pm On Sep 01, 2023
gaby:
This is an opportunity to go get your life properly sorted and to secure your children's future.

Grab it like BAT would say and run away with it my friend.

Are you seriously asking this question considering the Nigeria that is starting you in the face?

My only advice for you will be to work on yourself as per our culture of "I am the head of the house in the African way" and you are good to go.

This is a lifetime opportunity on a platter, bro.

Run with it.

Thank you sir.

Even while we were together in Nigeria, I cook for the family, I wash my children cloths.
Wify does those too. It's actually nothing to me.

My children once told my wifey that I cook better than her.

112 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by Kenn55: 4:26pm On Sep 01, 2023
@op.
First of all, there is no 100% guarantee in life. Not everyone who migrates or don't migrate abroad will be successful. Have this at the back of your mind. Life itself is a risk.

Let me tell you about my own philosophy. I subscribe to the view that the first 30 years of your life is yours. Enjoy every bit of it, you can think about yourself alone, you can be selfish and take decisions that benefit you and you alone. If you want to explore in sambisa, do it, it's all yours

After 30 years of age with kids coming or about to come, your life is no longer yours alone. You should dedicate your life to your next generation, your kids. At this point, your decision in anything you do should be based on first how it benefits your kids or future kids before yourself. If it benefits you but not your kids, I'll say no but if it benefits my kids and not me, I'll say yes. While you were greedy and selfish before 30, this stage requires you to be selfless and be ready to be a sacrificial lamb and allow your family to be greedy. This is my own philosophy that guides me, anyone can have a different philosophy.

This philosophy helped me make decision years ago about migrating. I asked myself, how do I ensure my children are better positioned with more opportunities when they grow up especially in today's uncertain times? After some research, I came to the conclusion that giving them the opportunity to become global citizens will give them more and better options down the road. They won't be restricted to just Nigeria, they will have options in other countries as well. Since I didn't give birth to them abroad, the only option was to relocate. Because I had the money and opportunity to migrate LEGALLY, I took the chance. I wouldn't have done that if there was no legal way to do that even with my desires. I discourage illegal immigration, it is not worth it.

I had no reason to migrate cos I was doing well but I put them first. Before I left, recognizing that there is no guarantee abroad, I had already conditioned my mind that even if I end up not getting what I worth abroad but my children succeed, I'm okay, it is a sacrifice I'm willing to make. But at the end, thank God it worked fine for me, i made a career pivot when i got abroad and boom, i became even more successful than i was in Nigeria but I was ready to accept my fate if it didn't work out.

As Canadian citizens, I and my children can decide to come back to Nigeria tomorrow to work or do business, can decide to work or do business in Canada or the US. These are 3 options available to my kids now and I have never been happier.

Note that there are kids or people who have 5 strong passports but are useless so it is not always a guarantee but I believe as a parent, it is my duty to do the best I can to position them in a way they can become more successful and hope it works out at the end.

The decision to migrate is solely based on your view. Look at what you desire most and see how your decision will affect it. Again, there are no guarantees anywhere in this world, we just have to do the best we can to achieve our desires.

273 Likes 43 Shares

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by Usefulsense: 4:27pm On Sep 01, 2023
Pappij:

Age is not a barrier, your mindset could be.

I'm about your age and made a similar move earlier this year, although with a slightly larger family composition.

See, with your work experience; you are good to go. One or two certifications on the side will be the icing on the cake.

Just pray and concentrate on your craft, you will be fine. Jitters are fine but shouldn't deter you.

Currently studying day and night for Australian CPA examination.

Thank you so much sir. I'm motivated by your kind words.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by Usefulsense: 4:31pm On Sep 01, 2023
Kenn55:
@op.
First of all, there is no 100% guarantee in life. Not everyone who migrates or don't migrate abroad will be successful. Have this at the back of your mind. Life itself is a risk.

Let me tell you about my own philosophy. I subscribe to the view that the first 30 years of your life is yours. Enjoy every bit of it, you can think about yourself alone, you can be selfish and take decisions that benefit you and you alone. If you want to explore in sambisa, do it, it's all yours

After 30 years of age with kids coming or about to come, your life is no longer yours alone. You should dedicate your life to your next generation, your kids. At this point, your decision in anything you do should be based on first how it benefits your kids or future kids before yourself. If it benefits you but not your kids, I'll say no but if it benefits my kids and not me, I'll say yes. While you were greedy and selfish before 30, this stage requires you to be selfless and be ready to be a sacrificial lamb and allow your family to be greedy. This is my own philosophy that guides me, anyone can have a different philosophy.

This philosophy helped me make decision years ago about migrating. I asked myself, how do I ensure my children are better positioned with more opportunities when they grow up especially in today's uncertain times? After some research, I came to the conclusion that giving them the opportunity to become global citizens will give them more and better options down the road. They won't be restricted to just Nigeria, they will have options in other countries as well. Since I didn't give birth to them abroad, the only option was to relocate. Because I had the money and opportunity to migrate LEGALLY, I took the chance. I wouldn't have done that if there was no legal way to do that even with my desires. I discourage illegal immigration, it is not worth it.

I had no reason to migrate cos I was doing well but I put them first. Before I left, recognizing that there is no guarantee abroad, I had already conditioned my mind that even if I end up not getting what I worth abroad but my children succeed, I'm okay, it is a sacrifice I'm willing to make. But at the end, thank God it worked fine for me, i made a career pivot when i got abroad and boom, i became even more successful than i was in Nigeria but I was ready to accept my fate if it didn't work out.

As Canadian citizens, I and my children can decide to come back to Nigeria tomorrow to work or do business, can decide to work or do business in Canada or the US. These are 3 options available to my kids now and I have never been happier.

Note that there are kids or people who have 5 strong passports but are useless so it is not always a guarantee but I believe as a parent, it is my duty to do the best I can to position them in a way they can become more successful and hope it works out at the end.

The decision to migrate is solely based on your view. Look at what you desire most and see how your decision will affect it. Again, there are no guarantees anywhere in this world, we just have to do the best we can to achieve our desires.

If my children ever schooled abroad, then it is mission accomplished for me.

I will go with this philosophy. Thank you.

63 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by Acidosis(m): 4:37pm On Sep 01, 2023
As long as your wife can/will feed you without complaints (just in case things do not turn out well for you), then you will be fine.

Your concerns are very valid. Not many 48 year old men would leave a N1.1m accounting job in Nigeria to go kill snakes in Australia as someone suggests here. I won't do it at gun point.

98 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by Berrityga: 4:37pm On Sep 01, 2023
Even if you no wan live there just go knack your wife come back e get y!!

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by eniolorunfe: 4:56pm On Sep 01, 2023
You don’t have to resign your job just yet. You can take leave and go with the kids to survey the land.

70 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by gaby(m): 5:04pm On Sep 01, 2023
Usefulsense:

Thank you sir.

Even while we were together in Nigeria, I cook for the family, I wash my children cloths.
Wify does those too. It's actually nothing to me.

My children once told my wifey that I cook better than her.

You are all set, mate.

Go live life, mate. Emphasis on "life".

No be live we dey live life for Nigeria, here. We dey endure life.

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by Usefulsense: 6:05pm On Sep 01, 2023
Acidosis:
As long as your wife can/will feed you without complaints (just in case things do not turn out well for you), then you will be fine.

Your concerns are very valid. Not many 48 year old men would leave a N1.1m accounting job in Nigeria to go kill snakes in Australia as someone suggests here. I won't do it at gun point.

Thanks Acidosis.

Is it the snake killing part that you cannot do at gun point or leaving a #1.1m salary a month for another job in Australia?

14 Likes

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by CedarHoldings: 6:07pm On Sep 01, 2023
Offpointng:

Adding to your skills also, Learn how to kill snakes here in Nigeria starting from Boas to Pythons, Vipers and the likes It'd be an essential skill when you get to Australia

Like this like this, I don make like $250 alone killing snakes for my neighbours. I not only have free money from this skill, I also have free meat for the whole of September. Thank allah for my blasting freezer
killing snakes,how?

12 Likes

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by mokset123: 6:09pm On Sep 01, 2023
Usefulsense:

I agree with you and also understand your fears, put everything in God's hand and it would go well, years from now your choice to migrate with your family won't be a decision you would regret, listen to madam, learn the forklift, also explore what and what it takes to practice as an accountant there then you take the leap of faith, trusting that God won't fail you

15 Likes

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by CJStarz: 6:40pm On Sep 01, 2023
So at 48, U don dey see yourself as an old man yet our Chicago bobo at almost 90,dey bounce and even dey threaten to go to war.U got to work on your mindset,man. Better join your wife. Infact,you have a good wife. Unless u dey eye one girl like dat for Naija here,guy confess😆

48 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by Focusmind: 7:07pm On Sep 01, 2023
I feel you. It is not always an easy decision, especially if you are doing well and already well established. Nevertheless, go with your kids and settle them first. Then, let madam feel you small, tongue, stay with them and survey the life style....you can give yourself a timeline to get done with Nigeria and go join them. You can agree with madam to relocate finally in the next 2,3 or 4 years. But you should always endeavour to visit during summer and spend quality time with family till you finally join them.

15 Likes

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by stagger: 7:34pm On Sep 01, 2023
Usefulsense:

You have already said it all. In 4 years, you will qualify to apply to become an Australian citizen. Dey here dey seek for advice.

10 Likes

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by Firefunmi2014: 8:19pm On Sep 01, 2023
Usefulsense:

I can relate with your situation because I have been there. I left Nigeria last year to join my wife who left in 2021 on Skilled worker visa to. UK. I was 46yrs when I joined her. I have a relatively good job in Nigeria with an official car and HOD in one of the PFAs in Nigeria. I don't have plans to join them before, I was thinking I will be sending money to them but for almost 6mth I couldn't convert my Naita to Pound.

Fast forward last year Nov, I took the decision to join them, it's been over 7mths now, has is it been easy ? No, but it is a journey. I started working in January, the role is related to finance which is my field, though a junior role for me experience and qualifications but is paying bills.

My wife has been an amasing woman, she earns more than me but her money is our money and vice versa. In a foreign land, be ready to share bills with your wife and also the house chore with her. I usually go to store to do the chopping and atimes cook for the children.

My advice for you is that you should prayerfully join your wife provided she is an amazing woman, trust me you will not regret it.

I wish you best of luck

85 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by Firefunmi2014: 8:21pm On Sep 01, 2023
Focusmind:
I feel you. It is not always an easy decision, especially if you are doing well and already well established. Nevertheless, go with your kids and settle them first. Then, let madam feel you small, tongue, stay with them and survey the life style....you can give yourself a timeline to get done with Nigeria and go join them. You can agree with madam to relocate finally in the next 2,3 or 4 years. But you should always endeavour to visit during summer and spend quality time with family till you finally join them.

Good advice but madam won't be able to take care of the kids alone, also the children needs the father figure in the house. 3yrs is a long time oh.

16 Likes

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by Firefunmi2014: 8:28pm On Sep 01, 2023
Usefulsense:

I am an FCA like you, I have my firm in Nigeria and still making money from Naija, to be honest with you I have only converted pound to Naira once and all the money have been spending in Nigeria is being made from Nigeria. You can DM , let's talk further.

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Visa To Mexico Is Not As Difficult As You Think ! / The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany / Aerial Photos Of Ogbaru, Onitsha From Second Niger Bridge Site

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.