Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,855 members, 7,817,531 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:52 PM

Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far - Travel (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far (65538 Views)

How I Migrated To From Nigeria To Portugal / Life In Germany: What Is It Like For Nigerians Who Migrated? / MOTIVATION | DEMOTIVATION - Immigrating To Canada - Our Story So Far (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by TNORWAY: 1:54pm On Apr 01
banku:
Fools celebrating a 48 years old man in mental slavery. Let us know when hard physical labor that your mates did in their twenties take hold of your health in your fifties.

Still comparing foreign currency to naira, that is all it takes to lure you into slavery where minimum wage translate into billionaire in Nigeria. Are minimum wage earners happy in foreign countries?

Since you and your children are happy to lose valuable Igbo culture that brings family values and happiness, you will soon lose those children and your wife too.

Mark it, in less than five years! Money is a means of exchange like cowries. Contentment after you feed and shelter your family leads to better way of life. Greed for cowries will kill you.
sodiki rest.

3 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Funkybabee(f): 1:54pm On Apr 01
I don't know what they are congratulating you for but I believe the lust of the world, uncertain satisfaction each day made you to made that decision.

At 50, you are supposed to be planning for retirement and moving closer to God but what did I know, I'm just a young girl not up to 30 self

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by CodeTemplar: 1:55pm On Apr 01
banku:
Fools celebrating a 48 years old man in mental slavery. Let us know when hard physical labor that your mates did in their twenties take hold of your health in your fifties.

Still comparing foreign currency to naira, that is all it takes to lure you into slavery where minimum wage translate into billionaire in Nigeria. Are minimum wage earners happy in foreign countries?

Since you and your children are happy to lose valuable Igbo culture that brings family values and happiness, you will soon lose those children and your wife too.

Mark it, in less than five years! Money is a means of exchange like cowries. Contentment after you feed and shelter your family leads to better way of life. Greed for cowries will kill you.
Do you know what forklift and warehouse is?
Stop being so bitter. He even has an accounting degree and ample job experience to support it plus is tech savvy enough to make the more career switches.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by emmanuelpopson(m): 1:55pm On Apr 01
i read peoples comment teying to talk down on the Op for migrating at age 48 with his family.. i really thank God that he had gone, settled and is now sharing his experienses online.. most people fail to understand that we re all migrants one way or the other. our forefathers actauuly came from a place to where we were born and reside there for generations..

now that the OP had gone to Aussie with the former status of a manager and making like 1M a month. he did the right thing for his family and if you have same opportunity, u all will accept it..

Aussie is known to be a counrty that depended in the mining sector so there must be jobs for geologist or related courses there.. so my question is how can one get such offers to get a working visa into the country as i study geology but not practising in nigeria as there are no jobs.

i will like to hear from you on the ways to getting that done..
thanks

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by DataDoc: 1:55pm On Apr 01
AmuDimpka:
no wahala...I wish you luck. At 55 - 60 one should be retired travelling around yhe world. That is my perspective not learning forklifting at 48

His salary in Nigeria cannot help him travel the world at 55-60.

However, his Australian forklifting job can provide him cash to travel a couple of countries, even visa-free.

It's you that's looking down on the job. Where he is, nobody looks down on him because he does forklifting for a living.

You Gerrit?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Benjamin4388(m): 1:59pm On Apr 01
chidi4sam:

You get person for Australia no be say you de Australia. Me de Australia de tell you wetin de sub u de miscap. Well, I won't go any further. Whatever you think is ok

he has the right to think and not the right to mislead people with his thinking.. why people hate progress like this.. just imagine saka and Joshua family didn't migrate.. there percentage of being who they are today is approximately 0.99 percent

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by DataDoc: 2:02pm On Apr 01
chidi4sam:

That is in Nigeria. People are still active even at 80 years in Australia.

Life expectancy in Australia is 83 years while that of Nigeria is 53 years. He just added some extra years to his life with this move

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Rabiu4190: 2:03pm On Apr 01
Usefulsense:
Last year, I sought the opinion of Nairalanders concerning my plan to move to Australia.
My major worry was my age (48) and also considering that my net salary in Nigeria was a little over a million Naira per month as the financial controller of a manufacturing company in Onitsha.

Below is the link to the thread I opened to seek peoples advice and I recommend that you go through the thread to fully appreciate
the story that follows.

[url=https://www.nairaland.com/7825207/japa-confused-please-advise][/url]. I promised to tell my story after 3 months of my stay in Australia.

I finally left Nigeria on December 7th, 2023 and arrived the country on December 9th with my children. Today, I am exactly 3 months, 2 weeks and 6 days old in Sydney, australia.

This is not a hearsay, it is not an eye witness account, it is my story.

This is intended to guide people who maybe planning to travel outside Nigeria. Should you migrate at an age over 45 or not?

Those who told me not to go are right and those who told me to travel are also right.

Given another opportunity, will I take the decision to move out of Nigeria at 48? Have I made a mistake? How am I surviving?

You will find out in this thread.

To be continued shortly .........

How can I connect with you? I am interested and I need a guard line. PleaseπŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by able20(m): 2:05pm On Apr 01
EreluRoz:
A 48yr old man is still young, so nothing do you.

My own classification of old man is 70 and above and besides I know a man who only starts seeing money at 50, he should be in his early 60s now and now multi millionaire if not a billionaire.
Tell this story to your grandmother she will believe that, but not on Nairaland
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Pigsandidiots: 2:07pm On Apr 01
EreluRoz:
A 48yr old man is still young, so nothing do you.

My own classification of old man is 70 and above and besides I know a man who only starts seeing money at 50, he should be in his early 60s now and now multi millionaire if not a billionaire.
I love this.
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by hurlaryinkah(m): 2:08pm On Apr 01
Usefulsense:
Last year, I sought the opinion of Nairalanders concerning my plan to move to Australia.
My major worry was my age (48) and also considering that my net salary in Nigeria was a little over a million Naira per month as the financial controller of a manufacturing company in Onitsha.

Below is the link to the thread I opened to seek peoples advice and I recommend that you go through the thread to fully appreciate
the story that follows.

[url=https://www.nairaland.com/7825207/japa-confused-please-advise][/url]. I promised to tell my story after 3 months of my stay in Australia.

I finally left Nigeria on December 7th, 2023 and arrived the country on December 9th with my children. Today, I am exactly 3 months, 2 weeks and 6 days old in Sydney, australia.

This is intended to guide people who maybe planning to travel outside Nigeria. Should you migrate at an age over 45 or not?

Those who told me not to go are right and those who told me to travel are also right.

Given another opportunity, will I take the decision to move out of Nigeria at 48? Have I made a mistake? How am I surviving?

Pls tell us step by step you went through to get Australia visa.
Nigeria is hot economy-wise now!

1 Like

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by reciprokal: 2:10pm On Apr 01
Usefulsense:

the story that follows.

I am interested in your upcoming thread about the reasons Nigerian couples divorce abroad.

Make it soon.
Thanks for this thread
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by DataDoc: 2:12pm On Apr 01
AmuDimpka:
someone who is an accountant earning 1 million plus and leaving Nigeria to be a forklift driver in Australai hasn't made much progress..he is at the lower ring of career ladder there and that's the truth ...

It's like been a medical director in Nigeria to travel and be a truck driver ...the person hasn't made progress in career ...that's the truth. Forget all the money . Within him he will know the truth and will tell himself the truth forget these things ....

That's the way I measure progress...notdollar and cents ! At 48 yrs he is a forklift driver how long will he work and click career ladder in Australia...maybe 15 yrs or plus ...then calculate his age

1st generation migrants most times have to pay a price for their decision to migrate.

If he lives to his 70s, his children should have settled well and probably be doing well. That alone will compensate for anything he feels he lost leaving Nigeria behind.

He took the decision to migrate not just for himself, but for his family too

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by hurlaryinkah(m): 2:13pm On Apr 01
Funkybabee:
I don't know what they are congratulating you for but I believe the lust of the world, uncertain satisfaction each day made you to made that decision.

At 50, you are supposed to be planning for retirement and moving closer to God but what did I know, I'm just a young girl not up to 30 self

Without telling anyone,everybody would understand that you are a young person.
Don't you know that moving to Australia does not stop anyone from moving and worshiping God
Abi na only in Nigeria God dey answer call?

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by OniyideAmplify(m): 2:13pm On Apr 01
AmuDimpka:

At 48yrs that you were at the top of your accounting career earning good money in Nigeria, you spent millions to travel to Australia only to go and be learning forklifting and mental health and care giving job at 48yrs when you should be planning retirement

I know say ma your wife push you into this

I wish you luck sir ....they way it is you will work till your 70s! How do you guys even take such decision
Don't worry, he will surely recover all the money he spent within 365 days and he has saved his generations to come from a lawless and unfortunate country like Nigeria. Moreover, Australia is even too big to realize that Nigeria is a shit, try visit Dubai alone not to talk of the whole UAE and see an environment where anything is possible.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Princedapace(m): 2:15pm On Apr 01
MT:

People do not know the power tech holds, and the capabilities it could unleash.

I was just offered a job of 800 GBP per day in the UK from the country I currently reside and I still rejected it, despite the fact that I will be working remotely as a senior software developer cum software architect.

Sadly, like I earlier stated, AI will take over all these menial jobs and office jobs people still do. This is the time to look in the direction of tech, if you can, to be relevant in the tsunami era that is coming. I understand not everyone can do tech, but if you can, do not hesitate please. It will hit a lot of people like an horror movie what is about to happen and western nations are so vulnerable.

My brother, I recently rejected a remote offer from a Singapore based tech company because I am over booked. Tech is so powerful and what tech did for me in two years is unbelieveable for me o. Each day, I keep thanking god that I made that hard switch even though it was so hard. I dont have to do all these crazy menial jobs and undergo all these stressful processes that I see people do. I just cant imagine what some people have to do.

2 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by chidi4sam(m): 2:17pm On Apr 01
DataDoc:

Except his wife is planning to come back with him.

As for the children, forget it. They will not come back. What's the motivation to come back to Aland their father left at 48

Hahahahahahah. This one got me laughing hard.
See, one reason some of us relocated was not just because we are poor or struggling ( travelling to Australia via student route no be joke. For someone to bring out 40-50M to travel shows the person is not doing badly.). We just wants to secure the future of our children. While in Nigeria, I had two plant managers (earning between 2-3M with other benefits) who resigned and moved to both US and Canada. When I asked them why they resigned, both said because of their children.

See, the advantage in securing a second passport is too numerous to be counted. I find it hard to say this but I have to. African passports are not respected anywhere. When I got to China on my way to Australia, we had 6 hours layover. A hotel room was given to everyone that holds UK, US, Canada, Australia passports (either white or black). The rest of us either paid from our pockets or hanged somewhere waiting for 6 hours. Make I stop here. Nigeria will be great one day. But we need to be alive to witness it.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by hurlaryinkah(m): 2:18pm On Apr 01
banku:

Stop saying bad things about people
The decision to move out of the Country is a choice and decision to stay behind here in Nigeria is a choice too.You don't have power over people's choice.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Cordinachickens: 2:19pm On Apr 01
Usefulsense:

the story that follows.

Brother everything you have said is even more than correct. Australia is a great place to be. Everything is working well here. I mean everything. I'm 44yrs, i was afraid of my age but I finally relocated last year to Australia with my 2kids, I first worked in a factory and later changed to disability after a few months and after getting all the necessary things. I pay a house rent of 650k naira equivalent weekly and other bills. But even with these bills, I send money worth 500k to naija monthly, I've bought car for someone in Nigeria, I've assisted a sister with fibroid surgery money and still I've saved over 30m as of today in just less than a year. I've never seen a country as good as Australia. There are jobs everywhere and every job is honourable even cleaning jobs, you are respected no matter your job. Anybody that tells you not to come to Australia hates you with perfect hatred because here everything works well.
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by rilChilz: 2:19pm On Apr 01
By the grace of God me sef go commot from this cesspool of a country

2 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by chidi4sam(m): 2:20pm On Apr 01
DataDoc:

Life expectancy in Australia is 83 years while that of Nigeria is 53 years. He just added some extra years to his life with this move

I failed to add that Australia has the purest air in the world. Almost pollution free. Use your google to verify this.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by CodeTemplar: 2:20pm On Apr 01
Gerrard59:

OK. Point noted.

If the person was a truck pusher or Danfo driver while in Nigeria? Yes. But an accountant who was earning 1.1 million naira doing sheet packing? NO.

Please, let's fear God when we use the phrase "decent life".

Thank you.
Decent life means outside what you do to survive. What the shit parker can afford is what that meant.

1 Like

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by hurlaryinkah(m): 2:21pm On Apr 01
chidi4sam:

Hahahahahahah. This one got me laughing hard.
See, one reason some of us relocated was not just because we are poor or struggling ( travelling to Australia via student route no be joke. For someone to bring out 40-50M to travel shows the person is not doing badly.). We just wants to secure the future of our children. While in Nigeria, I had two plant managers (earning between 2-3M with other benefits) who resigned and moved to both US and Canada. When I asked them why they resigned, both said because of their children.

See, the advantage in securing a second passport is too numerous to be counted. I find it hard to say this but I have to. African passports are not respected anywhere. When I got to China on my way to Australia, we had 6 hours layover. A hotel room was given to everyone that holds UK, US, Canada, Australia passports (either white or black). The rest of us either paid from our pockets or hanged somewhere waiting for 6 hours. Make I stop here. Nigeria will be great one day. But we need to be alive to witness it.

May God bless you my brother.

3 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by zedman1(m): 2:21pm On Apr 01
Usefulsense:

the story that follows.

You write well but I must confess, immediately I opened this thread, I scrolled fast and the first line that caught my eyes was "angle in human form". How we go take do to make una know say there's a difference between angle and Angel? Ehn?
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by OBTOREPA(m): 2:22pm On Apr 01
Usefulsense:

the story that follows.

My brother, I'm interested.
How you take run? Help a brother in need.
My mind no longer in Nigeria for long.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by hurlaryinkah(m): 2:23pm On Apr 01
rilChilz:
By the grace of God me sef go commot from this cesspool of a country

Amen,we are going together only that I don't have much for now!

2 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by koning: 2:23pm On Apr 01
Well, i am late to respond to this thread which has already clocked 13 pages of responses.

However, i have just a simple comment to make..

EARLY DAYS, my brother. Early days. You've just been there for 3 months. Let's have a feedback after 2 years. Very smart of you to ditch searching for Accounting job and went into factory/warehouse job. The frustration and depression would have been too much for you.

One thing i know for sure is that loss of "Big man"status in Australia will be unbearable for you in the long run. You will begin to appreciate Nigeria regardless of all the shortcommings.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by hurlaryinkah(m): 2:30pm On Apr 01
jconsulting:
The only thing that annoys me about some of the idiots that travel abroad is how they speak ill of their motherland, calling Nigeria unprintable names, whereas is the same Nigeria you made the money to travel out.

No matter how long you stay there , they will still refer to your children as Nigerian-born Australia.

Nigeria Will be Great God bless Nigeria

Then wait till when Nigeria will be great before taking your life decision!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by BolaAThubv(m): 2:31pm On Apr 01
TheBillyonaire:
Yes it is very humbling my brother. I can not imagine a man at almost 50 years decelerating from being a Boss to a Boy Boy for Oyibos. In exchange for clean 247 electricity and security. Definitely, they are better organized than us, right?

But it depends on where you lived in Nigeria. You mentioned being an Igbo man, so it could be that your city is not properly organized as opposed to other places with serene air and cleaner environments.

Alternatively, working as a warehouse handy-man is boy boy in your language. But congratulations for promoting yourself from big man to boy boy.

I promise you that we will build Nigeria, so your children can have a better place to return to, and hopefully you will be visiting often and not when you are too weak to be useful to Nigeria.
Reno O'mockery, have you brought your disgusting foolishness to this place? Igboland and Igbo people aren't the cause of your misery and failure. At an age of over 50, you've never done an honest job in your entire life. You survive on crumbs from politicians. Nothing productive to show.

You want to build Nigeria from the comfort of your Ethiopian wife's house in the UK?

Dey play!

3 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Bankowner: 2:31pm On Apr 01
Usefulsense:

For me measure of progress is different.
A toilet cleaner in Australia lives a much better life than the regional manager of Zenith bank in Nigeria.

MT:

You just ruined your narration with the bolded.

I refrained from joining this thread but once I read the bolded, I had to jump in.

While I respect your decision, just know that you are still being intoxicated with the neon lights you see at Night. You ruined your story when you got carried away and started to look condescending on Nigeria and the citizens - the same country you lived for 48 years with petrol and dollar subsidy cheesy cheesy

Please do not ever repeat the bolded anywhere. You claimed to have been a financial controller in Nigeria, I would expect you to sound as such or is this a way to make yourself feel better after the significant demotion experienced in Australia?. Just wondering.

Most of you don't see the Armageddon that is fast approaching, in the next 2 to 3 years, Artificial Intelligence would have matured and millions of people would lose their jobs, and the effects would be felt mostly in the western nations. Machines are coming to replace you and they are working day and night to make it happen. It is not a matter of IF again, but a matter of WHEN !!

It amazes me when you step feet into a foreign land and you begin to look down on your own country. That mentality needs to change please.

What the OP has said is relative. I have seen Regional Managers of banks in Nigeria coming abroad to do the same so called menial jobs to survive. Why do you think many bankers are japaaing from Nigeria? As time goes by, they are able to adapt and find their footing. Life abroad, though not bread and butter, is easy as long as you have a steady source of income and you do not expose yourself to unnecessary credit. At least I can speak for myself.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by DataDoc: 2:38pm On Apr 01
Treadway:
just say a toilet cleaner in Aussie lived a better life than you did while you were in Nigeria. Personalise this inferiority complex abeg. Own it! Don't bring one mythical regional manager of zenith bank into this. Not everyone was evidently miserable like you while you were in Nigeria. I thank God everyday for the fact that I don't think so lowly like this. Jeez!

This stale line is so nauseating. A destitute in Aussie sef was living a better life than you were. We know, we get it.

All these peeps in Australia that sought to die by suicide were happy, fulfilled, ok and satisfied to death. Smh

Nigeria mostly lack data on these things. The only suicides you hear about are the ones that make it to the newspapers.

Lots of suicides occur here oh

6 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by chidi4sam(m): 2:38pm On Apr 01
koning:
Well, i am late to respond to this thread which has already clocked 13 pages of responses.

However, i have just a simple comment to make..

EARLY DAYS, my brother. Early days. You've just been there for 3 months. Let's have a feedback after 2 years. Very smart of you to ditch searching for Accounting job and went into factory/warehouse job. The frustration and depression would have been too much for you.

One thing i know for sure is that loss of "Big man"status in Australia will be unbearable for you in the long run. You will begin to appreciate Nigeria regardless of all the shortcommings.

Ney. He won't regret it. Go online and search to see if you will see any Nigerian living in Australia complaining that things are not working. You will see video of people living in UK, even Canada or sometimes US. You will never see anyone from Australia complaining. They don't make noise here. Everyone is busy making πŸ’°. No matter what you are doing here, bros, you are OK. Just forget it. Australia is not just a country but a continent. They are way underpopulated. There is something for everyone to do except you are lazy (met one minister son that has been here for 5 year schooling. He doesn't do anything. He parents still send money to him). Their work system is not tasking or draining. You work according to your availability. You control you time and your life here. Let me stop here.

6 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (26) (Reply)

Truck Crashes Into A School Bus In Enugu, Many Pupils Dead (Graphic Photos) / My Japa Plan Has Been Destroyed / Passport: Nigerian Immigration Reacted To Widespread About The New Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.