Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,272 members, 7,811,802 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:54 PM

UK Suspends Nigerian Nurse Over Dishonesty, May Strike Name Off Register - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / UK Suspends Nigerian Nurse Over Dishonesty, May Strike Name Off Register (29298 Views)

Can’t Sustain My Family With It – Nigerian Nurse In The UK Earning N5.3 Million / Nigerian Nurse Sacked & Deported From The UK For Praying For Patient / Coronavirus: Body Of Nigerian Nurse In US Removed From Her Home (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

UK Suspends Nigerian Nurse Over Dishonesty, May Strike Name Off Register by ijustdey: 8:20pm On Mar 29
UK authority suspends Nigerian nurse over dishonesty, may strike name off register

The NMC’s panel found that Ms Ogbunaya was dishonest on different occasions with her employers, and she admitted to having breached the order due to financial reasons.

By Mariam Ileyemi

A Nigerian nurse, identified as Elizabeth Offier, who was suspended over misconduct by the UK Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) now risks being struck off from the agency’s register.

A panel of the Fitness to Practice Committee of the NMC had earlier suspended Ms Offier for six months for “impairment of her fitness to practice arising from misconduct”, but this was questioned by the Professional Standards Authority for Health and Social Care (PSA).

PSA filed an appeal in March 2023 because it said the penalty imposed by the panel was not sufficient for the “protection of the public.” It asked the court to quash the decision and substitute a striking-off order.

This was revealed in a 21-page judgement exclusively obtained by PREMIUM TIMES, which Justice Sheldon approved on 26 March 2024 after a hearing held on 6 March at the Royal Court of Justice, London.

Another panel review hearing held on 23 August 2023 which Ms Offier failed to attend decided to impose a further period of suspension for 12 months, with a further review to be held at the end of the new punishment period.

The NMC’s panel found that Ms Offier was dishonest on different occasions with her employers, and she admitted to having breached the order due to financial reasons.

How it happened

Ms Offier was admitted to the NMC register in March 2004, having worked as a nurse in Nigeria for several years. In November 2018, she registered with Pulse Healthcare Limited – a nursing agency and worked through them at two Foundation Trusts.

On 11 April 2019, the registrant worked a night shift at a hospital that was part of South Tees Hospital NHS Foundation Trust. During this shift, it was alleged that she signed a patient’s chart with another nurse’s initials to indicate that both she and her colleague had attended to the patient.

On 22 and 23 April 2019, she also worked the night shift at North Tees and Hartlepool NHS Foundation Trust, where it is alleged that she failed to give three patients intravenous antibiotic medication and failed to give insulin to two other patients.

She is alleged to have signed patient records indicating that she had administered medication when she had not.

Ms Offier failed to attend any of the meetings scheduled by Pulse to discuss whether she had been in “breach of contract”, after which her contract was terminated.

However, on 11 October 2019, Pulse made a referral to NMC and on 27 August 2019, the registrant applied for employment with another agency- First Call Healthcare Agency, and refused to disclose in the application form that she had worked for Pulse or Standby Agency – another agency with whom she had been registered.

She confirmed that the information provided was accurate and completed a Qualified Staff Questionnaire, where she indicated “No” that she had never been the subject of a disciplinary or investigation by an employer, or had been referred to NMC.

NMC conditions

The NMC Investigating Committee imposed some conditions in relation to the administration of medications and imposed an interim condition of practice order on the registrant for 18 months.

The conditions imposed by the committee were that the registrant should ensure that she was supervised by another registered nurse at any time that she was working and that she had to give a copy of these conditions to any agency with whom she was registered to work.

However, Ms Offier did not notify First Call of the conditions and in December 2019, through a routine check of NMC records, First Call discovered that the registrant was subject to conditions imposed by NMC.

On learning of the conditions imposed by the agency, First Call examined its records and realised that the registrant had worked one-night shift on 7 December 2019 as the only nurse in charge at a care home.

In reaction, Ms Offier explained that she had “never intended to hide anything as such conditions of practice are all made public by NMC. I am sorry if it has caused inconvenience”.

Ms Offier was eventually dismissed by First Call and a referral was made to NMC, leading to her being subjected to an interim suspension order by NMC. This continued to be in force until the hearing before the panel.

As of 3 May 2020, Ms Offier reached out to an investigator at NMC stating that she had not intended to breach the terms of the order when she worked a night shift alone.

She explained “I was in such a financial difficulty that I went to do a shift in a nursing home where a senior carer was also on duty. I sincerely apologise for having done this out of financial desperation and I strongly state here that I will never do such a thing again”.

Ms Offier failed to appear and was not represented at a hearing before the panel on 9 March 2023.

Appeal, panel findings

According to the court document highlighting the panel findings and Ms Offier’s work history and “proven” misconduct, NMC, as the first respondent in the case, has conceded the appeal.

While Ms Offier, the second respondent did not appear before the Court, Mr Sheldon noted that she indicated that she was not prepared to consent to being struck off the register and that she made no representations as to why the appeal should be dismissed.

However, the appeal proceeded in the absence of the registrant after the counsel for the PSA, David Hopkins, “indicated that he would seek to put before the court the arguments that the registrant might have put had she attended.”

The NMC’s panel found that Ms Offier had dishonestly failed to disclose information to a future employer about the existence of two previous employers and that she was subject to investigation by that previous employer.

It also found that she had dishonestly failed to disclose information to her employer that conditions had been imposed on her by NMC.

The panel also found that the registrant had worked one shift for the employer in breach of the condition that she should be supervised by a registered nurse.

Court disposal

Mr Sheldon in his comments admitted that the panel “fell into error by finding that none of the six forms of dishonesty that are most likely to call into question whether a nurse should be allowed to remain on the register were met.”

While PSA contends that any sanction less than one of striking off was not sufficient for the protection of the public, it also argued that the panel failed to give adequate reasons that striking off was disproportionate.

“I do not need to reach a final view on this ground, as I have already found that the panel made several errors and so its decision was wrong,” the judge said.

In his conclusion, Mr Sheldon said: “Accordingly, I will allow the appeal but remit the decision so that the question of sanction can be looked at in light of the findings that the panel made, but also the findings that the panel should have made. I shall consider further submissions from the parties as to the appropriate form of the order for remittal and on any other consequential matter.”Exclusive: UK authority suspends Nigerian nurse over dishonesty, may strike name off register.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/health/health-news/682037-exclusive-uk-authority-suspends-nigerian-nurse-over-dishonesty-may-strike-name-off-register.html

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK Suspends Nigerian Nurse Over Dishonesty, May Strike Name Off Register by dalongjnr: 8:37pm On Mar 29
Sorry for her.
UK system is self regulating but any system can be exploited and manipulated.
She's just a victim of the system because the other white people are doing the same thing but they cover for themselves.

64 Likes 12 Shares

Re: UK Suspends Nigerian Nurse Over Dishonesty, May Strike Name Off Register by nairavsdollars(f): 8:39pm On Mar 29
We don hear. Next?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: UK Suspends Nigerian Nurse Over Dishonesty, May Strike Name Off Register by immortalcrown(m): 8:39pm On Mar 29
Unprofessionalism.

7 Likes

Re: UK Suspends Nigerian Nurse Over Dishonesty, May Strike Name Off Register by turmacs(f): 8:56pm On Mar 29
God knows when I'm ready to leave this zoo, you see UK, America, Canada, and any other country that most Nigerians and Muslims like to immigrate to, i go dey avoid those countries like plague. In the next 50 years, the UK and US will be over run by blacks and muslims, and you know what happens When does two sets people become the majority grin I will look for a country that Africans and Muslims in general hate to immigrate to, a country that has very low tolerance for religious bullsh*t especially islam but is still developed and first world, na there i dey go raise my children grin

73 Likes 9 Shares

Re: UK Suspends Nigerian Nurse Over Dishonesty, May Strike Name Off Register by rentAcock(m): 8:56pm On Mar 29
I tried my best to read the entire news article but I'm sorry the author needs to learn how to write concisely with less obfuscation. The Nigerian nurse in question should see this suspension as a blessing in disguise. Abroad is not meant for Africans and the White man will quickly remind you for any little mistakes or transgressions.

It seems like she was caught signing off medications as given when she didn't give them. She was investigated and fired as a result but then she applied for other jobs without disclosing that she had been previously investigated and fired. In otherwords, she lied in her job application which may be grounds for termination in the UK.

Fine, but how many Whites kill patients by overdosing or giving them the wrong medications without any repercussions? They probably sweep it under the table and erase any papertrail that shows negligence but when an African lies about giving common antibiotics, they want to burn her on the stake like a witch.

Nigerians abroad aren't you tired of being 3rd class citizens in the White man's land? You all go there to do one of the following occupations: support worker/nurse assistant ( glorified nyash cleaners), security guard, taxi drivers and nurse. After all the hard labor, insults and abuse, the government will still deduct federal, state, city, Medicare, medicaid,
and disability taxes from it. In essence you slave away and then the government will deduct 40% from your check for taxes. On top of that, you still have to pay very high rent and sales tax on anything you buy. What kind of life is that?

These countries have no natural resources so they depend on human resources which is what you are. You are meant to slave away and pay crazy taxes so they can fund their budget. Nigeria doesn't tax her citizens this much because we are blessed with natural resources unlike UK and most of these European countries.

Imagine a nurse of 20yrs is still saying she's "financially desperate" and that's why she didn't disclose the prior investigation to her new employer. After 20yrs shouldn't she be financially buoyant and thinking of a lofty retirement? Instead she still needs to work just to make ends meet and you people call that life?

It's not late for Nigerians living abroad to return home. You can venture into more lucrative businesses here without cleaning poop. Nobody will call you a Niggger either and your life span will be longer.

44 Likes 6 Shares

Re: UK Suspends Nigerian Nurse Over Dishonesty, May Strike Name Off Register by richiemcgold: 8:57pm On Mar 29
These are the same offences many of them commit here in Nigeria and go scot free.

We all want Nigeria to get better, but we are not ready to change our ways and characters for better.

61 Likes 3 Shares

Re: UK Suspends Nigerian Nurse Over Dishonesty, May Strike Name Off Register by damilola4162(m): 8:57pm On Mar 29
Federal Government allegedly subsidizes hajj fare with N90 billion

Source: https://newspremises.com.ng/federal-government-allegedly-subsidizes-hajj-fare-with-n90-billion
Re: UK Suspends Nigerian Nurse Over Dishonesty, May Strike Name Off Register by Toluwalase12345(f): 8:57pm On Mar 29
Ok

1 Like

Re: UK Suspends Nigerian Nurse Over Dishonesty, May Strike Name Off Register by AllahOfBlood: 8:58pm On Mar 29
cheesy
Re: UK Suspends Nigerian Nurse Over Dishonesty, May Strike Name Off Register by Caramia2020(m): 8:58pm On Mar 29
Too bad
Re: UK Suspends Nigerian Nurse Over Dishonesty, May Strike Name Off Register by chopnaira: 8:58pm On Mar 29
Nawao.

1 Like

Re: UK Suspends Nigerian Nurse Over Dishonesty, May Strike Name Off Register by Zico5(m): 8:58pm On Mar 29
Charity they say begins at home. I wonder why some people cannot be honest especially when money is involved. She will learn the hard way.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: UK Suspends Nigerian Nurse Over Dishonesty, May Strike Name Off Register by Matheusmartin: 8:58pm On Mar 29

1 Like

Re: UK Suspends Nigerian Nurse Over Dishonesty, May Strike Name Off Register by pretydiva(f): 8:59pm On Mar 29
I hope she comes out of this

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK Suspends Nigerian Nurse Over Dishonesty, May Strike Name Off Register by YesDaddyTill203: 9:00pm On Mar 29
She would have cried victimization, politicization, and marginalization if this had happened in Nigeria.
She should learn from her mistakes and move. It's not the end of her world.

If you ever worked in a hospital setting even in the US, then you will know that clinicians make lots of mistakes. I have seen them give patients the wrong medications. I have seen them forget to give medications. I have seen wrong diagnoses and many more mistakes.
Just pray and hope that your clinicians care about you if you should end up in any hospital.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK Suspends Nigerian Nurse Over Dishonesty, May Strike Name Off Register by Rechargeam247(f): 9:00pm On Mar 29
Do the crime and serve the time, one sure way to get people to do right things the right way.
Re: UK Suspends Nigerian Nurse Over Dishonesty, May Strike Name Off Register by Kelklein(m): 9:00pm On Mar 29
Nigerian nurses always over-reaching themselves in the UK..🤔🤔
Re: UK Suspends Nigerian Nurse Over Dishonesty, May Strike Name Off Register by AngelicBeing: 9:00pm On Mar 29
sad
Re: UK Suspends Nigerian Nurse Over Dishonesty, May Strike Name Off Register by 79733139(m): 9:01pm On Mar 29
dalongjnr:
Sorry for her.
UK system is self regulating but any system can be exploited and manipulated.
She's just a victim of the system because the other white people are doing the same thing but they cover for themselves.

The whites get caught also but nobody reports it on Nairaland, it is only the Nigerian cases that we see here.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK Suspends Nigerian Nurse Over Dishonesty, May Strike Name Off Register by tunjijones(m): 9:02pm On Mar 29
Re: UK Suspends Nigerian Nurse Over Dishonesty, May Strike Name Off Register by 1Sharon(f): 9:02pm On Mar 29
These Nigerian nurses in the UK, won terrible gan. They're only in it for the money, they're not caring.

3 Likes

Re: UK Suspends Nigerian Nurse Over Dishonesty, May Strike Name Off Register by shamsin6300(m): 9:03pm On Mar 29
turmacs:
God knows when I'm ready to leave this zoo, you see UK, America, Canada, and any other country that most Nigerians and Muslims like to immigrate to, i go dey avoid those countries like plague.

Israel should be ur calling then
Anything other than this shows how hypocrite you are.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: UK Suspends Nigerian Nurse Over Dishonesty, May Strike Name Off Register by dalongjnr: 9:03pm On Mar 29
79733139:

The whites get caught also but nobody reports it on Nairaland, it is only the Nigerian cases that we see here.
Honestly speaking!
Re: UK Suspends Nigerian Nurse Over Dishonesty, May Strike Name Off Register by id4sho(m): 9:04pm On Mar 29
tongue
Re: UK Suspends Nigerian Nurse Over Dishonesty, May Strike Name Off Register by EmiloCorn: 9:05pm On Mar 29
Hmm, a Nigerian nurse that japa to the UK to play with oyibo lives I their own hospitals cry her own don be

Well sha, aside from that I just came to use my trusted PLUM to measure the gradient of the head.

Yep, you guessed right. It was a cool LEVEL cool

5 Likes

Re: UK Suspends Nigerian Nurse Over Dishonesty, May Strike Name Off Register by Emyogalanya: 9:05pm On Mar 29
Na nig thing na
Re: UK Suspends Nigerian Nurse Over Dishonesty, May Strike Name Off Register by hslbroker2(m): 9:05pm On Mar 29
nairavsdollars:
We don hear. Next?

1 Like

Re: UK Suspends Nigerian Nurse Over Dishonesty, May Strike Name Off Register by Hananfine: 9:05pm On Mar 29
turmacs:
God knows when I'm ready to leave this zoo, you see UK, America, Canada, and any other country that most Nigerians and Muslims like to immigrate to, i go dey avoid those countries like plague.

So you must bring muslims into your stupidity.
The person in question is not a Muslim but due to intense hatred in your hate, muslims must be blame for that person action.
Evu

18 Likes 5 Shares

Re: UK Suspends Nigerian Nurse Over Dishonesty, May Strike Name Off Register by Natbrowny: 9:06pm On Mar 29
The NMC’s panel found that Ms Offier was dishonest on different occasions with her employers, and she admitted to having breached the order due to financial reasons.

She went to a working country with the mindset from a non working country.

Now she doesn't have leaders to blame.

Her wahala o.. We dey face our own here

In the west, they give zero f*cks about you.

They do it to professional athletes over there..one mess up and they withdraw.

Very ruthless people over there. People wey dey revoke admission if u form financial constraints (dey assume u lie when applying)

9 Likes

Re: UK Suspends Nigerian Nurse Over Dishonesty, May Strike Name Off Register by iLoveYouToo(m): 9:07pm On Mar 29
Normal level

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Man Narrates How He Survived Being 'Brutally Stabbed' 12 Times (Photo) / Doctors In Diaspora: How FG Frustrated Us When We Offered To Improve Healthcare / 5 Dangerous Pregnancy Complications That Can Destroy Your Home

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.