Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,879 members, 7,817,590 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:05 PM

Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy - Food (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy (40379 Views)

Top Ten Popular Igbo Soups / Who Is The King Of All Nigerian Soups? (Pictures) / 5 IGBO Soups You Should Try (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Probz(m): 3:38pm On Apr 02
Dsimmer:
Funnily, I don't even know why Egusi is debated when it's glaring it's a Yoruba cuisine. From the name/word, it's Yoruba. Igbo don't even have ẹ in Igbo vowel.

Not just this, The whole name is Yoruba etymology which has meaning only in Yoruba language.

Thirdly, Egusi has got several delicacy varieties of it by the Yoruba. Egusi oshiki, efo elegusi, egusi alapa, Egusi funfun, elegusi robo etc 💥 it's Orunmila favorite cuisine as a matter of fact.

Fourthly, it's meaning is in Yoruba language 📌

I mean anyone claiming it is being funny because it's got Yoruba written all over it. Lol.

It was even Ajayi Crowther who introduced several Yoruba delicacies to the Igbo. Some other missionaries also introduced some delicacy to the Igbo. That was how Igbo got their delicacies. All these were done to stop Igbo cannibalism of eating one another in the forest.

Do Yorubas get onugbu-egusi, azu-igwe and complimentary-goat-meat (since azu-igwe is goat-weed) and mgbam/akpurakpu egusi with achara (elephant-grass)? Do Yorubas get Deltan egusi pepper soup?
Again, you’re arguing with Probz. Be careful. I eat people like you up with pounded yam and a side of Wheetabix and a side of French toast with goose fat, quail liver and ukwa for breakfast. I can even use you for egusi.
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Probz(m): 3:41pm On Apr 02
Aragon001:

That does mean it originated or the soups is native to the igbos.
Different tribes/ ethnic groups called it different names in their dialect don't mean they own the dish.
There are dishes native to some ethnic groups that u can't dispute or argue about. Soups like the atama, afang, editan. These three I just mention are undisputed native to / originated from the efik and ibibio people.
Ewedu, gbegiri is native to the yorubas. Other tribes have their own native soups.
Soups that cut across all ethnicity is the egusi, ogbono, oha soup, white soup, which can be prepare in a variety of ways.

Fair overall point but why are you now claiming oha? Where do the leaves even grow besides SE Nigeria?
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by waternogetememy: 3:43pm On Apr 02
Probz:

Jute leaves (ewedu) reach as far as Egypt at least and are called arirala in Igbo (amongst others). Popular in Nsukka.

You’re arguing with Mr Probz here now. And I know what I’m talking about. You cannot use illiterate tactics to pull the wool over my eyes.

CALL IT WHATEVA U LIKE, EWEDU IS YORUBA.

ARIRALA IS JUST A NAME AND NOTHING, BECAUSE IT IS NOT IGBO DELICACY.

EWEDU

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=EWEDU

ARIRALA
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ARIRALA
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Dsimmer: 3:45pm On Apr 02
Probz:

Do Yorubas get onugbu-egusi, azu-igwe and complimentary-goat-meat (since azu-igwe is goat-weed) and mgbam/akpurakpu egusi with achara (elephant-grass)? Do Yorubas get Deltan egusi pepper soup?
Again, you’re arguing with Probz. Be careful. I eat people like you up with pounded yam and a side of Wheetabix for breakfast. I can even use you for egusi.

Egusi is Yoruba word with the "ẹ" sound which is found in Yoruba. Igbo adding bitter leaf to Egusi doesn't change anything. Yoruba do add any different kind of vegetables they like to Egusi which is called efo elegusi, one of the varieties of Egusi.

There are other varieties of Egusi. Point is Egusi has Yoruba sound with the "ẹ" sound and it's meaning is only in Yoruba language. It's the favorite cuisine of Yoruba ancestor called Orunmila. It's a Yoruba word. QED.
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by waternogetememy: 3:47pm On Apr 02
WHEN YOU SEE YORUBA SOUPS, YOU KNOW IT IS YORUBA BECAUSE THE PREPARATION ARE ALL SIMILAR.

EWEDU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw_0pki4kNY

GBEGIRI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNNdCLI0Buw

EFO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JzGy6QdBuk
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Probz(m): 3:47pm On Apr 02
waternogetememy:

CALL IT WHATEVA U LIKE, EWEDU IS YORUBA.

ARIRALA IS JUST A NAME AND NOTHING, BECAUSE IT IS NOT IGBO DELICACY.

EWEDU

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=EWEDU

ARIRALA
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ARIRALA

You no-get sense. In a land where we have onugbu, proper egusi soup and proper soup period, no-one’s terribly bothered with jute leaves and that’s a fact that stretches from Croydon to Toxteth to Greenville to Netherley to Enugu to Gorton to Nkwerre to Port Harcourt. Just know that Igbos have an equivalent, generally better-made, for ewedu, just like your versions of ogbobo (apon) and okra soups (obe-Ile-whatever) dey.
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by waternogetememy: 3:48pm On Apr 02
THE CONSISTENCE OF PREPERATION AND SIMILARITIES IS CLEAR.

THIS ARGUEMENT IS JUST ASNINE.

YORUBAS KNOW THEIR DELICACIES.

CAN IGBO DRAG AGBO WITH YORUBA?

WHY SHOULD WE?
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Probz(m): 3:49pm On Apr 02
Dsimmer:

Egusi is Yoruba word with the "ẹ" sound which is found in Yoruba. Igbo adding bitter leaf to Egusi doesn't change anything. Yoruba do add any different kind of vegetables they like to Egusi which is called efo elegusi, one of the varieties of Egusi.

There are other varieties of Egusi. Point is Egusi has Yoruba sound with the "ẹ" sound and it's meaning is only in Yoruba language. It's the favorite cuisine of Yoruba ancestor called Orunmila. It's a Yoruba word. QED.

I don’t give a braised monkey’s where the name comes from. Ondo/Ekiti/Osun aside, Yoruba people do not know how to cook good egusi soup in the way other Nigerians know it thanks to Igbos, Calabars and Deltans. Call it egusi, call it egwusi, elili, gushi, egunsi, melon, whatever. That one is not even the issue. Not the one I’m interested in.
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Pristine664: 3:50pm On Apr 02
EreluRoz:
Egusi sounds more yoruba

Egusi is Yoruba 💯
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Pristine664: 3:51pm On Apr 02
mariahAngel:
Egusi soup will cause war on this thread.

This I've seen. undecided

And it did oh. You saw well. 😂
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Probz(m): 3:51pm On Apr 02
Dsimmer:

Lol. I only stated fact though. Yoruba have Proverbs for Apon soup. Igbo couldn't pronounce Apon thus pronounced it as Ogbon which has no meaning in Igbo language.

Funny how some say ogbono means slimy while another says it means boiling. Lol. Meanwhile, slimy and boiling in Igbo language means another thing entirely. Boiling means "esi" for example. Btw, All soups boils, so why don't Igbo call every soup boiling? Lol. And that's not how boiling is pronounced.

Ogbon means nothing in Igbo language. It was a corruption from the Yoruba Apon.

Sources aren’t everything whatsoever (especially when it comes to African history) but, er … source?
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Probz(m): 3:53pm On Apr 02
Dsimmer:

There are other varieties of Egusi. Point is Egusi has Yoruba sound with the "ẹ" sound and its meaning is only in Yoruba language. It's the favorite cuisine of Yoruba ancestor called Orunmila. It's a Yoruba word. QED.

Why have you just copied and pasted this?
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Dsimmer: 3:53pm On Apr 02
Probz:

I don’t give a braised monkey’s where the name comes from. Ondo/Ekiti/Osun aside, Yoruba people do not know how to cook good egusi soup in the way other Nigerians know it thanks to Igbos, Calabars and Deltans. Call it egusi, call it egwusi, elili, gushi, egunsi, melon, whatever. That one is not even the issue. Not the one I’m interested in.

Yoruba that has several varieties of it don't know how to Cook it? You dey craze? How do Igbo cook it when they cook it like the way they cook the shitty ohha soup? You dey craze? When one returns same insult, you will start to play the victim.

Point is Egusi is Yoruba word with the Yoruba's sounds which has its meaning only in Yoruba language. QED

1 Like

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by waternogetememy: 3:54pm On Apr 02
Pristine664:

Egusi is Yoruba 💯

EGWUSI IS IGBO.

THE STYLE OF PREPEARTION IS CONSISTENT WITH OTHER IGBO SOUPS LIKE OGBONO, OKWURU, NSALA, ONUGBO, OHA ETC.

YORUBA CANNOT EVEN COOK EGWUSI.
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Probz(m): 3:55pm On Apr 02
Dsimmer:

Yoruba that has several varieties of it don't know how to Cook it? You dey craze? How do Igbo cook it when they cook it like the way they cook the shitty ohha soup? You dey craze? Na ment?

Point is Egusi is Yoruba word with the Yoruba's sounds which has its meaning only in Yoruba language.

I’m not talking about Ondo/Ekiti/Osun varieties. I already know they do it better than typical Yorubas, but they’re an outlier. I’m already giving more credit to Yorubas than the average Igbo person. I know all about individual states and I’m still saying what I’m saying.

Imagine serving egusi-Ijebu at an Anambra function at Agukwu, Awka or Nnewi. As if Igbos joke with soup.

Oha soup might not be your cup of tea but people love it. That’s the bottom and top of it.
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Probz(m): 4:01pm On Apr 02
waternogetememy:
I DON POST OHA NOW, TOMORROW, U WILL ARGUE WITH MY CHILDREN, THAT OHA SOUP IS NOT IGBO.

U CLOWNS!

STOP THE HATING AND GIVE CREDIT TO WHOM IT IS DUE.

They’re already doing so.
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by waternogetememy: 4:03pm On Apr 02
Probz:

They’re already doing so.

WE DIDNT SAY THEY SHOULDN'T EAT SOUP, LET THEM JUST ACKNOWLEDGE ITS ORIGIN.

AFTERALL, IT WAS PEOPLE THAT FIRST PUT IT TOGETHER.

WE CARRIED IT TO LAGOS AND SERVED THEM IN OUR RESTAURANT, AND THEY LIKED IT.

SOME OF THEM ENDED UP MARRYING IGBO WOMEN BECAUSE OF SOUP. grin

1 Like

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Pristine664: 4:06pm On Apr 02
Probz:

Also Wikipedia: “Egusi is the name for this across many parts of West Africa and it can't be attributed to one tribe or ethnic group. For the sake of peace and unity, I removed the part that claimed "Egusi" is a word from a certain tribe.” People forget that edits can be seen by as many people who wilful edit the page for free (i.e., virtually everyone).

Nifty edit, though, whoever did that.

Die if you like, EGUSI IS A YORUBA WORD, the soup may not originate from Yoruba land or even Nigeria as different tribes and ethnic groups across Africa have names for it but Egusi is purely Yoruba!.
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by waternogetememy: 4:06pm On Apr 02
WHEN IT COMES TO YORUBA FOOD, WE EAT AMALA IN ENUGU AND ACKNOWLEDGE YORUBA.

IN ENUGU AMALA DAY.

Y DO YORUBA FIND IT SO DIFFICULT TO TELL THE TRUTH OR ACKNOWLEDGE CONTRIBUTIONS IGBO MAKE?

WHY?

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Pristine664: 4:11pm On Apr 02
Probz:

Again, you’re arguing with Probz. Be careful. I eat people like you up with pounded yam and a side of Wheetabix and a side of French toast with goose fat, quail liver and ukwa for breakfast. I can even use you for egusi.

Nobody is disputing the fact that you people can eat human as cannibalism is a thing in the South East but the bone of contention here is the fact that Egusi is Yoruba as everything about it from the alphabet to the meaning is pure Yoruba.
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by waternogetememy: 4:13pm On Apr 02
Y DID WE NOT CHANGE THE NAME TO IGBO AND CLAIM IT.

THAT SHOWS INFERIORITY COMPLEX WHEN YOU HAVE TO TELL BLATANT LIE.

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO SELF-RESPECT.

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by RevenuesBoost(f): 4:13pm On Apr 02
Probz:

Also Wikipedia: “Egusi is the name for this across many parts of West Africa and it can't be attributed to one tribe or ethnic group. For the sake of peace and unity, I removed the part that claimed "Egusi" is a word from a certain tribe.” People forget that edits can be seen by as many people who wilful edit the page for free (i.e., virtually everyone).

Nifty edit, though, whoever did that.

It's a Yoruba word, Wikipedia says so

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Pristine664: 4:16pm On Apr 02
Probz:

😂 😂 😂

Who told you yours is better? Clo.wns!
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by waternogetememy: 4:16pm On Apr 02
RevenuesBoost:

all those shit you posted means nothing.

Go and edit wikipedia more to support your lies.

You know the soup you ate growing up as a child.
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Pristine664: 4:20pm On Apr 02
Dsimmer:

Yoruba that has several varieties of it don't know how to Cook it? You dey craze? How do Igbo cook it when they cook it like the way they cook the shitty ohha soup? You dey craze? Na ment?

Point is Egusi is Yoruba word with the Yoruba's sounds which has its meaning only in Yoruba language. QED

Don't mind him, he said people that have been cooking something for centuries when his forefathers were still jumping from one tree to the other like monkeys don't know how to cook because it is different from the way they cook their own. 😂

Very funny lots.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by RevenuesBoost(f): 4:20pm On Apr 02
waternogetememy:

all those shit you posted means nothing.

Go and edit wikipedia more to support your lies.

You know the soup you ate growing up as a child.

E shock you abi? cheesy
You actually wish it was edited but it wasn't.
Stop struggling people's language
Call Melon in your language and leave Egusi for the Yorubas, it's theirs to the moon and back.😂

I repeat, Egusi is a Yoruba, Wikipedia says so.

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by waternogetememy: 4:20pm On Apr 02
WHEN YOU EAT OGBONO SOUP, BETTER ACKNOWLEDGE NDIIGBO.

WHEN YOU EAT ONUGBO SOUP, ACKNOWLEDGE NDIIGBO

WHEN YOU EAT OHA SOUP, ACKNOWLEDGE NDIIGBO

WHEN YOU EAT NSALA SOUP, ACKNOWLEDGE NDIIGBO, DONT CHANGE IT TO WHITE SOUP, USE THE WORD NSALA.

DONT BE A THIEF, BE GRATEFUL.
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Pristine664: 4:24pm On Apr 02
RevenuesBoost:

Not just Wikipedia. Different materials that dated back to 18th century have even been shared on this thread.

Yoruba Dictionary - melon (Egusi)

Igbo Dictionary - melon (elili/enini)

1 Like

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by waternogetememy: 4:25pm On Apr 02
Pristine664:

Not just Wikipedia. Different materials that dated back to 18th century has even been shared on this thread.

WHEN YOU EAT OGBONO SOUP, BETTER ACKNOWLEDGE NDIIGBO.

WHEN YOU EAT ONUGBO SOUP, ACKNOWLEDGE NDIIGBO

WHEN YOU EAT OHA SOUP, ACKNOWLEDGE NDIIGBO

WHEN YOU EAT NSALA SOUP, ACKNOWLEDGE NDIIGBO, DONT CHANGE IT TO WHITE SOUP, USE THE WORD NSALA.

WHEN YOU EAT OKWURU ACKNOWLEDEGE NDIIGBO

WHEN YOU EAT AKWU SOUP, ACKNOWLEDW NDIIGBO

WHEN YOU EAT EDE SOUP, ACKNOWEDGE NDIIGBO

WHEN YOU EAT OFFOR SOUP, ACKNOWLEDGE NDIIGBO.

WHEN YOU EAT UKPO SOUP, ACKNOWLEDGE NDIIGBO.

WHEN YOU EAT UZIZA SOUP, ACKNOWLEDEGE NDIIGBO.

DONT BE A THIEF, BE GRATEFUL.
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by RevenuesBoost(f): 4:27pm On Apr 02
Pristine664:

Not just Wikipedia. Different materials that dated back to 18th century have even been shared on this thread.

My dear, I was trying to answer the guy that's saying it's not in Wikipedia.
E shock am😂
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by waternogetememy: 4:27pm On Apr 02
THE CONSISTENCE AND COMPLEXITY OF IGBO SOUP PREPERATION IS IN ITSELF EVIDENCE THAT EGWUSI SOUP ORIGINATED FROM IGBO LAND.

THERE IS THE CONSISTENCE FACTOR.

ASIDE THAT, IGBO EAT SEEDS OF FRUIT AS SOUP, NOT JUST EGWUSI.
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Pristine664: 4:31pm On Apr 02
RevenuesBoost:

My dear, I was trying to answer the guy that's saying it's not in Wikipedia.
E shock am😂

Lol ok 😆

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply)

See The Food I Prepared In My Girlfriend's House. / A Dubai-Based Nigerian Lady Fried Eggs With Rays Of The Sun (Video) / Chef Dammy Has Completed Her 120-Hour Cook-A-Thon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.