Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,754 members, 7,813,490 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:57 PM

Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy - Food (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy (40189 Views)

Top Ten Popular Igbo Soups / Who Is The King Of All Nigerian Soups? (Pictures) / 5 IGBO Soups You Should Try (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Aragon001: 10:01am On Apr 02
AmuDimpka:

Okwuru (Okro) in pure Igbo ...meaning to stand tall . The Okro tree is tall

Egwusi is pure Igbo name

Ogbono is pure Igbo name
That does mean it originated or the soups is native to the igbos.
Different tribes/ ethnic groups called it different names in their dialect don't mean they own the dish.
There are dishes native to some ethnic groups that u can't dispute or argue about. Soups like the atama, afang, editan. These three I just mention are undisputed native to / originated from the efik and ibibio people.
Ewedu, gbegiri is native to the yorubas. Other tribes have their own native soups.
Soups that cut across all ethnicity is the egusi, ogbono, oha soup, white soup, which can be prepare in a variety of ways.
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by waternogetememy: 10:04am On Apr 02
Makunahatata:
Egusi no b Igbo soup..den dey eat egusi for Ghana, Cameroon, Sierra Leone e.t.c .

Ghanians call it akatewa stew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kM7brgG-ss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnEYGLPi8Lk
IGBO EGWUSI LOOK LIKE CAMEROON

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fqXIa1EFSs

GHANA AND YORUBA OIL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeZJlxAsP18
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Sctests: 10:06am On Apr 02
Dsimmer:

Egusi is Yoruba name. Qed. Yoruba even has several delicacy varieties of it. It's an Orunmila soup as a matter of fact and it's a Yoruba name with several delicacy varieties of it. Qed.

As for okra, Igbo simply called it okwuru because okra was the name introduced to the Igbo. It was introduced to the Igbos as okra but Igbo couldn't pronounce it thus pronunced it as okwurru.

Go and read research journals on the phytobotanical distribution of Egwusi and Okro.. They are all both of Igbo origin.

The words Okro and Egwusi, just like the word 'Una/Unu" are of purely Igbo origin. Lo gba research.

Egwusi is cooked with Ugwu leaves, yorubas did not eat Ugwu before Igbos

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by RevenuesBoost(f): 10:22am On Apr 02
Bulldozer90:
when you lose arguement, you try to co-opt other ethnic groups into your senseless fight. Some of the ethnic groups will will be honest enough to tell you what they have was introduced by the Igbos. But pride and envy will never let you Yorubas acknowledge something that is not yours.

You claim Egwusi soup, we give you facts beyond reasonable doubt that the soup is no where near Yoruba in origin.

You start claiming it's not Igbo because it consumed across Africa, Africans tell you it was introduced to them by Nigerians.

When you see you've been defeated claiming it, you start laying claims to the name. Lol pathetic people.

Amala and Ewedu people that use stew to eat swallow want to claim better thing.

I can bet you that if any other ethnic group lays claim to the soup, you would have backed their claim out of envy for Igbos.

Tueh!

Before nko!
Una bin wan claim Amala and Ewedu too?

Calm down and read my write up with understanding

I'm not here to argue baselessly

Call melon in your language and leave Egusi for the Yorubas😂

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Dsimmer: 10:37am On Apr 02
Sctests:

Go and read research journals on the phytobotanical distribution of Egwusi and Okro.. They are all both of Igbo origin.

The words Okro and Egwusi, just like the word 'Una/Unu" are of purely Igbo origin. Lo gba research.

Egwusi is cooked with Ugwu leaves, yorubas did not eat Ugwu before Igbos

Earlier, it was written that Igbo borrowed Egusi from the Yoruba. In fact, an Igbo was part of those people who wrote the article while confirming that Igbo borrowed Egusi from the Yoruba. But suddenly, igbo started claiming it now. Same way Igbo love claiming several other people's territory today. Lol. Anyways, some likes claiming Yoruba invention . Same way someone wanted to claim adire which is Yoruba word. A di re which means to tie and re. Adire, which includes several styles, such as oniko styles which are all Yoruba names (oniko is "di ni koko".

Anyways,Egusi is a Yoruba name which has several delicacy varieties of it by the Yoruba. Qed.

Also Okra was introduced as okra to the Igbo who couldn't pronounce it thus ended up pronouncing it as okwuru. As a matter of fact, the main reasons why all these delicacies were introduced to the Igbo was because they were found naked in the bush eating one another (human flesh) and leaf. All that were done to civilize the Igbos.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by AmuDimpka: 10:46am On Apr 02
RevenuesBoost:

Before nko!
Una bin wan claim Amala and Ewedu too?

Calm down and read my write up with understanding

I'm not here to argue baselessly

Call melon in your language and leave Egusi for the Yorubas😂

says who?

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Dsimmer: 11:38am On Apr 02
Funnily, I don't even know why Egusi is debated when it's glaring it's a Yoruba cuisine. From the name/word, it's Yoruba. Igbo don't even have ẹ in Igbo vowel.

Not just this, The whole name is Yoruba etymology which has meaning only in Yoruba language.

Thirdly, Egusi has got several delicacy varieties of it by the Yoruba. Egusi oshiki, efo elegusi, egusi alapa, Egusi funfun, elegusi robo etc 💥 it's Orunmila favorite cuisine as a matter of fact.

Fourthly, it's meaning is in Yoruba language 📌

I mean anyone claiming it is being funny because it's got Yoruba written all over it. Lol.

It was even Ajayi Crowther who introduced several Yoruba delicacies to the Igbo. Some other missionaries also introduced some delicacy to the Igbo. That was how Igbo got their delicacies. All these were done to stop Igbo cannibalism of eating one another in the forest.

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by blasterman(m): 11:47am On Apr 02
Nearly every country in west African has an egusi variant .
Cameroun, Togo, Ghana etc
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Luckysbab: 12:01pm On Apr 02
dominique:
Ogbono soup did not make the list, is it not an Igbo soup?

It's not
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Broveens42(m): 12:02pm On Apr 02
Obiedun:
Pure inferiority complex

Inferiority complex: a word created by the white man to keep enslaving your sorry ahs.

America government support Hollywood war movies that always show superiority over other nations, but you don't call it inferiority complex grin
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by RevenuesBoost(f): 12:29pm On Apr 02
AmuDimpka:
says who?

Did you understand the screenshot you sent to me?
It's known in Igbo as Egusi right?
Meaning every Igbo person calls it Egusi as well because you guys don't know how to call melon in your language.
That doesn't make it an Igbo word.

It's an Igbo word right, oya Egusi means?

Una don finally collect Yoruba language too😂

Oya clap for yourself Egusi is Igbo.

I'm not from Yoruba but I know the literal meaning of the word in Yoruba.

Someone like you wrote that article in December 2022 to collect Yoruba Credit.
He doesn't even know how to spell it well😂

Mek una add am to Igbo dictionary since na Igbo word.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by megley(f): 12:46pm On Apr 02
Ofe nsala is the bomb! i love the soup die.
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by 1Sharon(f): 12:49pm On Apr 02
Emlproperties:
Egusi is found in all parts of West Africa. Perhaps the Yoruba's might have used the grinded seed for cakes of all kinds. But those who made use of it for soup are the Igbos. You can tell from the manners it's cooked.

Ogbono is pure Igbo soup don't go there. Even the word and style of cooking is Igbotic. Of course you lots might have eaten it as fruit and in preparing medicine but the soup is Igbo. All tribes eat the fruit and not just Igbo and Yoruba, but the soup is Igbo.

Did you read the comment at all? Ogbono is called Apon in yoruba, and it's called tola in Sierra Leone. How the fvck can you lay origins to it when they're both eaten as soup??
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by 1Sharon(f): 12:54pm On Apr 02
Dsimmer:

I'm not talking about Egusi (Egusi is a Yoruba name btw) but Apon which also has a proverb for it in Yoruba proverbs..

Secondly, Ogbon means nothing in Igbo language.

Thirdly, Apon was one of the delicacies introduced by Ajayi Crowther to the Igbos. Ogbon was corrupted from Apon since Igbo couldn't pronunce Apon.

What does egusi mean in yoruba language?
Can anybody lay claim it since its eaten all over Africa?
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Sctests: 1:26pm On Apr 02
Dsimmer:

Earlier, it was written that Igbo borrowed Egusi from the Yoruba. In fact, an Igbo was part of those people who wrote the article while confirming that Igbo borrowed Egusi from the Yoruba. But suddenly, igbo started claiming it now. Same way Igbo love claiming several other people's territory today. Lol. Anyways, some likes claiming Yoruba invention . Same way someone wanted to claim adire which is Yoruba word. Adi re which means to tie and re.

Anyways,Egusi is a Yoruba name which has several delicacy varieties of it by the Yoruba. Qed.

Also Okra was introduced as okra to the Igbo who couldn't pronounce it thus ended up pronouncing it as okwuru. As a matter of fact, the main reasons why all these delicacies were introduced to the Igbo was because they were found naked in the bush eating one another (human flesh) and leaf. All that was done to civilize the Igbos.

Oga stop your revisionist innuendo and show us journalistic proof of your claims about Egwusi. Egwusi soup is not a staple Yoruba delicacy. Even you guys don't count it as part of your food as you do with Ewedu, Gbegiri and ila.

Egwusi/Ogwusi soup is Igbo and cooked with Ugwu leaves..Plain and simple.
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Dsimmer: 1:30pm On Apr 02
Sctests:

Oga stop your revisionist innuendo and show us journalistic proof of your claims about Egwusi. Egwusi soup is not a staple Yoruba delicacy. Even you guys don't count it as part of your food as you do with Ewedu, Gbegiri and ila.

Egwusi/Ogwusi is Igbo. Plain and simple.

Ode, you can see the article where an Igbo affirmed that's it was borrowed from the Yoruba yet you're still saying gibberish?

Igbo has no "ẹ" in Igbo vowel. Same way ẹnu was borrowed from the Yoruba.

Egusi is a Yoruba word which has its meaning in Yoruba. QED.

Yoruba delicacies were introduced to the Igbo by Ajayi Crowther to stop Igbo cannibalism. Other missionaries also introduced some delicacies to the Igbo.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Sctests: 1:35pm On Apr 02
Dsimmer:

Ode, you can see the article where an Igbo affirmed that it was borrowed from the Yoruba yet you're still saying gibberish?

Igbo has no "ẹ" in Igbo vowel. Same way ẹnu was borrowed from the Yoruba.

Egusi is a Yoruba word which has its meaning in Yoruba. QED.

Now I know you are a bumbling clown undeserving of an intellectual jaw-jaw. The 'e' vowel is almost in every Igbo, from 'Emeka' to 'Eluigwe'.

You yoruba language is deficient of so many consonants like the 'z'. Such a clown.
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by RevenuesBoost(f): 1:50pm On Apr 02
1Sharon:

What does egusi mean in yoruba language?
Can anybody lay claim it since its eaten all over Africa?

Nigeria introduced it to other countries

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by ciro11(m): 1:51pm On Apr 02
mariahAngel:
Egusi soup will cause war on this thread.

This I've seen. undecided

So you be prophet too?
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by 1Sharon(f): 1:55pm On Apr 02
RevenuesBoost:

How did they introduce it other countries when they all have their own indigenous names for it?
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by RevenuesBoost(f): 1:57pm On Apr 02
1Sharon:

How did they introduce it other countries when they all have their own indigenous names for it?

Read on Google
I no get strength abeg

1 Like

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by 1Sharon(f): 2:04pm On Apr 02
RevenuesBoost:

Read on Google
I no get strength abeg

Google does not say Nigeria introduced the dish to others.
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Asswipemod: 2:24pm On Apr 02
MrGerald:
I saw sense when it was leaving you

And what do we call folks who see immaterial things in clinical psychology?
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Dsimmer: 2:29pm On Apr 02
Sctests:

Now I know you are a bumbling clown undeserving of an intellectual jaw-jaw. The 'e' vowel is almost in every Igbo, from 'Emeka' to 'Eluigwe'.

You yoruba language is deficient of so many consonants like the 'z'. Such a clown.

Ode, I said "ẹ", not e in emeka etc. Igbo don't have "ẹ" in their alphabet, whether consonant and vowel. That's a Core fact! While Yoruba has "ẹ" in their alphabet. Egusi has "ẹ" in it. Egusi meaning is in Yoruba language too

Of course, Yoruba don't have Z. Because Yoruba uses S for similar thing.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by waternogetememy: 2:29pm On Apr 02
1Sharon:

Did you read the comment at all? Ogbono is called Apon in yoruba, and it's called tola in Sierra Leone. How the fvck can you lay origins to it when they're both eaten as soup??

LOL THE JOKE IS ACTUALLY ON YOU WHEN YOU GO TO YOUTUBE OR GOOGLE TO TYPE YOUR APON WITH NO RESULT.

IT IS LIKE IGBO RENAMING AMALA, EFOR, EWEDU AND GBEGIRI, BUT NOBODY RECOGNISE THEM.

WE ALL HAVE OUR NATIVE DELICACY, BE PROUD OF YOURS, IF YOU LIKE SOMEONE ESLE ONE, ACKNOWLEDGE THEM.

APON

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Apon

OGBONO

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=OGBONO
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Dsimmer: 2:38pm On Apr 02
Dsimmer:

Ode, I said "ẹ", not e in emeka etc. Igbo don't have "ẹ" in their alphabet, whether consonant and vowel. That's a Core fact! While Yoruba has "ẹ" in their alphabet. Egusi has "ẹ" in it. Egusi meaning is in Yoruba language too.

Of course, Yoruba don't have Z. Because Yoruba uses S for similar thing in Yoruba language.

Speaking of Yoruba alphabets, it makes me remember that Y is also sometimes pronounced as J in Yoruba. Lol. No wonder "it shall be" is "Yoowa" or "Ye ki o wa" in Yoruba while some also pronunce it as "Je ki o wa"... Same way Yehudah is pronounced as Judah shocked
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by 2mch(m): 3:00pm On Apr 02
blasterman:
Nearly every country in west African has an egusi variant .
Cameroun, Togo, Ghana etc
Cause Yoruba took it there. Many Yoruba in Togo and Ghana. A lot of Cameroonians live in and out of Nigeria so they carry the knowledge of our foods. They eat a lot of soups we eat in Nigeria. Especially South South soups which are closer to them. Those soups are not theirs originally.
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Probz(m): 3:19pm On Apr 02
Nearly every West African nation has their own variants of egusi but Igbos are among those who cook it particularly well (alongside Calabars and Deltans). Besides Ondo/Ekiti and chunks of Osun, nothing dey concern Yorubas with good soup whatsoever. Their own is amala and ewedu and egusi-Ijebu. Anything good ofe-wise comes from Eastern Yorubaland, which we all know is notably influenced by more easterly cuisines and practices (starting from Edo/Idu). A lot of Ondo State Yorubas can even pass for Igbos and randomly have surnames like Okoro.

Egusi might also be indigenous to northern and western Yorubaland but which one would one honestly go for between nonsense cooked with egg-yolks and an abundance of oil for nothing (not even proportioned between akwu/anything tropically rose-related or derived from oha and customary red palm oil) vs. countless variations cooked with okporoko (which, before anyone starts I know is imported from our good-ol. Nordics) and a variety of vegetables (starting from isapa/zone in eastern Yorubaland and including onugbu, okazi, ugu, azu-igwe and amaranth), made in such a way that’s not gonna purge your stomach? Why are northern and Western Yorubas trying to convince people that they know how to cook soup?
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Probz(m): 3:20pm On Apr 02
2mch:

Cause Yoruba took it there. Many Yoruba in Togo and Ghana. A lot of Cameroonians live in and out of Nigeria so they carry the knowledge of our foods. They eat a lot of soups we eat in Nigeria. Especially South South soups which are closer to them. Those soups are not theirs originally.

Most Nigerians in Cameroon are probably Igbo. Nothing’s ever historically concerned Yorubas with Cameroon.
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Probz(m): 3:29pm On Apr 02
RevenuesBoost:

Also Wikipedia: “Egusi is the name for this across many parts of West Africa and it can't be attributed to one tribe or ethnic group. For the sake of peace and unity, I removed the part that claimed "Egusi" is a word from a certain tribe.” People forget that edits can be seen by as many people who wilful edit the page for free (i.e., virtually everyone).

Nifty edit, though, whoever did that.
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Alexis11: 3:31pm On Apr 02
DeepThroater:

You guys have failed miserably again in trying to use Nairaland to reinvent yourselves.

We know very well how you have began to use this forum to whitewash yourselves after Seun bent down for you guys and handed his forum to you.

You think Nigerians are gullible to fall into your radio Biafra tier brainwashing that they used on you ?

This topic normally would have been viewed as a honest or ignorant mistake but we know very well what your intentions are and that is to reinvent yourselves to be cultural bedrock of Nigerian cultures. This is coming after your failed Zionist reinvention of yourselves.

The person that created this topic, the people that rushed in to comment and even the mod that pushed this to FP all knew what they were doing

This topic was created in food section but most of the posters that backed the original fraud post are all very active on politics section pushing Ibo agenda .

This your lame attempt will not fly .

I am sure your success in decieving some idiots by pushing the fake Obi Messiah is what is making you guys go on overdrive to push your silly propaganda here towards reinventing yourselves into what you are not.

It's asymmetric warfare and you have chosen the cultural sphere on Nigerians .

You are extremely intelligent. 😆

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Probz(m): 3:32pm On Apr 02
waternogetememy:

LOL THE JOKE IS ACTUALLY ON YOU WHEN YOU GO TO YOUTUBE OR GOOGLE TO TYPE YOUR APON WITH NO RESULT.

IT IS LIKE IGBO RENAMING AMALA, EFOR, EWEDU AND GBEGIRI, BUT NOBODY RECOGNISE THEM.

WE ALL HAVE OUR NATIVE DELICACY, BE PROUD OF YOURS, IF YOU LIKE SOMEONE ESLE ONE, ACKNOWLEDGE THEM.

APON

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Apon

OGBONO

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=OGBONO

Jute leaves (ewedu) reach as far as Egypt at least and are called arirala in Igbo (amongst others). Popular in Nsukka.

You’re arguing with Mr Probz here now. And I know what I’m talking about. You cannot use illiterate tactics to pull the wool over my eyes.

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply)

Hardship: 5 Cheap Soups You Can Cook With N1000 In Nigeria / See This Fire Wood Cooking Stove Invented By A Nigerian / Pictures From Amala Hangout In Enugu State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.