Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,514 members, 7,830,526 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 01:36 AM

Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy - Food (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy (40755 Views)

Top Ten Popular Igbo Soups / Who Is The King Of All Nigerian Soups? (Pictures) / 5 IGBO Soups You Should Try (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by seunayantokun(m): 11:34pm On Apr 01
Dsimmer:

Exactly. Yoruba have even got proverbs for it. Igbo couldn't pronounce Apon thus pronounced it as Ogbon which has no meaning in Igbo language.
You wan harmer person for head ni? If them catch you, abeg no shout o.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Emlproperties: 11:36pm On Apr 01
vannessa7:

Imagine, I'm sure the egusi does not grow well in their land as well as say in south west and some other countries.

Egusi that has been a staple in the south west long before civilization they are claiming to be theirs, Yoruba even have many different ways of preparing it, even the ogbono they think belong to them grows well in Yoruba land and we call it Apon, if your land can cultivate it well then it it indeginious to you,
inferiority complex making them look for relevance up and down.
Egusi is found in all parts of West Africa. Perhaps the Yoruba's might have used the grinded seed for cakes of all kinds. But those who made use of it for soup are the Igbos. You can tell from the manners it's cooked.

Ogbono is pure Igbo soup don't go there. Even the word and style of cooking is Igbotic. Of course you lots might have eaten it as fruit and in preparing medicine but the soup is Igbo. All tribes eat the fruit and not just Igbo and Yoruba, but the soup is Igbo.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Dsimmer: 11:44pm On Apr 01
seunayantokun:

You wan harmer person for head ni? If them catch you, abeg no shout o.

Lol. I only stated fact though. Yoruba have Proverbs for Apon soup. Igbo couldn't pronounce Apon thus pronounced it as Ogbon which has no meaning in Igbo language.

Funny how some say ogbono means slimy while another says it means boiling. Lol. Meanwhile, slimy and boiling in Igbo language means another thing entirely. Boiling means "esi" for example. Btw, All soups boils, so why don't Igbo call every soup boiling? Lol. And that's not how boiling is pronounced.

Ogbon means nothing in Igbo language. It was a corruption from the Yoruba Apon.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Litmus: 11:45pm On Apr 01
Nigeria needs to keep records of heritages like these soups. Every tribe in Nigeria should catalogue her foods, parables, fables, dances, songs etc. Apart from ensuring that Ghana does not steal them grin , owning your information in the AI age is a real goldmine. It is not for nothing that Synthetic Data has become a trending phrase. Those developing AI use LLMs. These LLMs are essentially proprietary information used to feed (train ) thire systems and Ai companies are consistently facing copyright issues. Synthetic Data, therefore original information created by AI, are AI developers hope. But Synthetic Data is at an infancy , they are little evolved from concept stage. This means that AI developers still need to exploit proprietary information. Nations like Nigeria were heritage information is not catalogued and therefore not owned will be vulnerable to exploitation by external forces. Our unprotected heritage information spaces will provide rich grounds for AI developers to appropriate for free.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Emlproperties: 11:47pm On Apr 01
Dsimmer:

Lol. I only stated fact though. Yoruba have Proverbs for Apon soup. Igbo couldn't pronounce Apon thus pronounced it as Ogbon which has no meaning in Igbo language.

Funny how some say ogbono means slimy while another says it means boiling. Lol. Meanwhile, slimy and boiling in Igbo language means another thing entirely. Boiling means "esi" for example. Btw, All soups boils, so why don't Igbo call every soup boiling? Lol. And that's not how boiling is pronounced.

Ogbon means nothing in Igbo language. It was a corruption from the Yoruba Apon.
Your people and Igbo don't call Ogbono same thing. You call it Apon and Igbos call it Ogbono. You lots might have eaten the Apon as a fruits and medicine. Igbos too eat the Ogbono as fruit and also used the seed for soup. Ogbono has deep Igbo meaning.

Esi or Eshi in Igbo is to cook but boiling is Ogbo.
For instance when you want to ask someone if he can cook rice, you say Ima rice esi or Ima rice eshi depending on the dialect. Ogbo means when something is boiling.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Dsimmer: 11:49pm On Apr 01
Emlproperties:
You people and Igbo don't call Ogbono same thing. You call it Apon and Igbos call it Ogbono. You lots might have eaten the Apon as a fruits and medicine. Igbos too eat the Ogbono as fruit and also used the seed for soup.

Yoruba have Proverbs for it, where it calls it a drawing soup. Apon don't even grow in south east but rainforest. Ogbono means nothing in Igbo language. It's a corruption from the Yoruba Apon. It was Ajayi Crowther who introduced it to the Igbos.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Jackson105: 11:51pm On Apr 01
FOOTSOLDIER2:
People asking egusi na igbo soup, Shey the name "Egusi" sounds like Yoruba or Hausa to your ears ?

I'm from Kaduna state but you people will always jealous Igbos

Just shatap! So Egusi sound igbo? You need brain

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Alexis11: 11:54pm On Apr 01
vannessa7:

Imagine, I'm sure the egusi does not grow well in their land as well as say in south west and some other countries.

Egusi that has been a staple in the south west long before civilization they are claiming to be theirs, Yoruba even have many different ways of preparing it, even the ogbono they think belong to them grows well in Yoruba land and we call it Apon, if your land can cultivate it well then it it indeginious to you,
inferiority complex making them look for relevance up and down.

You said it all. πŸ’―

1 Like

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by mediclife1987(m): 11:54pm On Apr 01
Noneroone:

https://businessday.ng/bd-weekender/article/igbo-soups-all-tribes-in-nigeria-enjoy/?amp=1

What magic can i perform with my small pestle and mortar in the kitchen?

I've only used it to smash the yams i use for White Soup. What other things can i use it for?
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Emlproperties: 11:55pm On Apr 01
Dsimmer:

Yoruba have Proverbs for it, where it calls it a drawing soup. Apon seeds don't even grow in south east but rainforest. Ogbono means nothing in Igbo language. It's a corruption from the Yoruba Apon. It was Ajayi Crowther who introduced it to the Igbos.
Funny you. Ogbono grows in Igbo villages. It's a fruit and is plucked when riped. But the seed is used for soup. The same with Egusi. The melon seed for Egusi is different from the agric melon grown in the north. Northern melon is big while Igbo melon is small. Igbo Egusi melon species is usually grown in a yam plantation. It's placed inside so the leaves can rope the yam tendrils and also to manage lands for other farming. Igbo due to lack of lands, plant the maize and melon in between Yams.

Ajayi Crowther didn't introduce anything to Igbo. Ajayi Crowther wasn't the only person that was in the mission to Igboland, they had Igbos and other Sierra leaonians as well. Perhaps the Portuguese or British might have introduced it to our parts of West Africa but those who deciphered to use it for soup were the Igbos. Yoruba's ate it as fruit and for medicine but Igbos used it as soup.
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by waternogetememy: 11:56pm On Apr 01
Dsimmer:

Yoruba have Proverbs for it, where it calls it a drawing soup. Apon don't even grow in south east but rainforest. Ogbono means nothing in Igbo language. It's a corruption from the Yoruba Apon. It was Ajayi Crowther who introduced it to the Igbos.
MY FRIEND GO AND EAT OGBONO AND SHUT UP.

I HATE PEOPLE THAT TELL BLATANT LIES.

HOW CAN YOU BE LYING TO YOURSELF?

GO OUT AND SAY THIS, EVEN YOUR FELLOW YORUBA WILL LAUGH AT YOU.
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by waternogetememy: 11:59pm On Apr 01
IS LIKE ME SAYING AMALA IS IGBO.

WHAT WILL MY IGBO BROTHERS SAY?

THEY WILL SURELY LAUGH AT ME.

THEIR ARE LIES SO BLATANT, YOU BECOME A CLOWN.

EVEN YOUR OWN PEOPLE WILL LAUGH AT YOU.
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Dsimmer: 12:00am On Apr 02
Emlproperties:
Funny you. Ogbono grows in Igbo villages. It's a fruit and is plucked when riped. But the seed is used for soup. The same with Egusi. The melon seed for Egusi is different from the agric melon grown in the north. Northern melon is big while Igbo mean is small. Igbo Egusi melon species is usually grown in a yam plantation. It's placed inside so the leaves can rope the yam tendrils.

I'm not talking about Egusi (Egusi is a Yoruba name btw) but Apon which also has a proverb for it in Yoruba proverbs..

Secondly, Ogbon means nothing in Igbo language.

Thirdly, Apon was one of the delicacies introduced by Ajayi Crowther to the Igbos. Ogbon was corrupted from Apon since Igbo couldn't pronunce Apon.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Emlproperties: 12:03am On Apr 02
Dsimmer:

I'm not talking about melon or melon seeds (which is Egusi, a Yoruba name) but Apon which also has a proverb for it in Yoruba proverbs..

Secondly, Ogbon means nothing in Igbo language.

Thirdly, Apon was one of the delicacies introduced by Ajayi Crowther to the Igbos. Ogbon was corrupted from Apon since Igbo couldn't pronunce Apon.

I won't argue my language with a non-Igbo. You call it Apon in your language. Apon has meaning in Yoruba language. We call it Ogbono and Ogbono has meaning in Igbo language.

Lastly, for those claiming that Ajayi Crowther brought the Ogbono and Egusi fruits from Yorubaland to Igboland. You have to show proof. No fruit came from Yorubaland. Those of us who are familiar with these seeds will tell you that their are foreign and not indigenous to our climes, perhaps brought by either the Portuguese or the British. If we agree that the CMS mission led by ex-slave of Yoruba origin Bishop Ajayi Crowther from Freetown Sierra Leon and assisted by Igbo ex-slaves like Taylor and Jonas, brought the fruit, then it was by the British and the CMS mission that came from Freetown Sierraleon not from Yorubaland
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Dsimmer: 12:09am On Apr 02
Emlproperties:
I won't argue my language with a non-Igbo. You call it Apon in your language. Apon has meaning in Yoruba language. We call it Ogbono and Ogbono has meaning in Igbo language.

Ogbon has no meaning in Igbo language. Some says it means drawing however that's not the meaning of drawing/slimy in Igbo. Lol.

Besides, Apon is referred to as drawing soup in its Yoruba proverbs, although that's not what Apon means in Yoruba. Yoruba have several drawing soups for example such as ewedu, Ila, akuku etc which are called by several different names, just like Apon has its own name. However, it's a drawing soup. So I understand some Igbo terming it as a drawing soup since Ajayi Crowther introduced Apon as a drawing soup for the Igbo however they couldn't pronunce it well thus pronunced it as Ogbon which they equally term as drawing soup, even though "drawing " in Igbo means nothing like that.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by waternogetememy: 12:14am On Apr 02
Emlproperties:

DONT START USING WORD YOU DONT KNOW THE MEANING.

STICK WITH OGBONO, AS WE HAVE ALWAYS REFERED THE SOUP.

THAT IS WHAT THEY DO, THEY ALWAYS TRY TO CHANGE THE NAME AND THEN STEAL IT.
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Alexis11: 12:16am On Apr 02
Seniormanfeyi06:
The proof

You are only deceiving yourself if you try to give Igbos any proof.

You have to fear people that sell fake goods to you at the price higher than that of original and sold Obi as messiah to other Nigerians. πŸ˜‚

πŸ˜‚
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by waternogetememy: 12:17am On Apr 02
Dsimmer:

Ogbon has no meaning in Igbo language. Some says it means drawing however that's not the meaning of drawing in Igbo. Lol.

Besides, Apon is referred to drawing soup in its Yoruba proverbs, although that's not what Apon means in Yoruba. Yoruba have several drawing soups for example such as ewedu, Ila, akuku etc which are called by several different names, just like Apon has its own name. However, it's a drawing soup. So I understand some Igbo terming it as a drawing soup since Ajayi Crowther introduced Apon as a drawing soup for the Igbo however they couldn't pronunce it well thus pronunced it as Ogbon which they equally term as drawing soup, even though "drawing " in Igbo means nothing like that.

THIS IS HOW MAD YOU SOUND.

APON

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Apon

OGBONO

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=OGBONO

NOW WE ALL KNOW WHICH MEANS NOTHING.
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by waternogetememy: 12:21am On Apr 02
AT LEAST THIS ONE NEVER GO TOO FAR LIKE EGWUSI.

WE CAN STILL TRY TO CONTROL THE MADNESS BEFORE E RUN ENTER MARKET, REACH GHANA.
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by vannessa7(f): 12:27am On Apr 02
Emlproperties:
Egusi is found in all parts of West Africa. Perhaps the Yoruba's might have used the grinded seed for cakes of all kinds. But those who made use of it for soup are the Igbos. You can tell from the manners it's cooked.

Ogbono is pure Igbo soup don't go there. Even the word and style of cooking is Igbotic. Of course you lots might have eaten it as fruit and in preparing medicine but the soup is Igbo. All tribes eat the fruit and not just Igbo and Yoruba, but the soup is Igbo.

Your insecurities speaking, igbo created the world
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Emlproperties: 12:29am On Apr 02
vannessa7:

Your insecurities speaking, igbo created the world
And your insecurity is glaring. Yoruba created Heaven and Earth. When it comes to soups we don't drag what is ours. Learn how to cook soups first before coming to contest our soups.
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Dsimmer: 12:30am On Apr 02
Alexis11:

You are only deceiving yourself if you try to give Igbos any proof.

You have to fear people that sell fake goods to you at the price higher than that of original and sold Obi as messiah to other Nigerians. πŸ˜‚

πŸ˜‚

Lol. Obi who was woeful as a governor yet was projected as a messiah while they forgot that Tinubu was voted because of what he did in Lagos. Such as Increasing Lagos economy at the time OBJ was working against him. While also birthing some projects such as BRT, LFTZ, Eko Atlantic etc.. Heck, Obi admitted that his daughter was employed by Lagos government.

Meanwhile, it was Igbo who voted along ethnic line even though Obi was woeful as a governor yet would be the one to play the victim while accusing others over what they actually did as seen below. Same way they played the victim over the civil war which was actually caused by their covetousness and wickedness.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by vannessa7(f): 12:38am On Apr 02
Emlproperties:
And your insecurity is glaring. Yoruba created Heaven and Earth. When it comes to soups we don't drag what is ours. Learn how to cook soups first before coming to contest our soups.

Have you checked your face in the mirror recently? Who wants to contest over wrinkles inducing, premature aging and untimely death causing foods, get down from your dung hill, it is nothing to be proud of.
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by seunayantokun(m): 12:47am On Apr 02
Tdotbluejays1:

Igbos is borrowed the word and added it to their lexicon.

The Igbo Longman dictionary below says it is a loaned word from the Yor (Yoruba).

Thanks for bringing it up from their own dictionary.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Asswipemod: 12:54am On Apr 02
Sctests:

The plant is actually called Ogwusi. 'Egusi' is the 'anglicized' name.

Anglicized indeed. πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜† what a joke.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by vannessa7(f): 12:54am On Apr 02
Emlproperties:

It's so funny the way you make your baseless claim all because you are too narrow minded and with little horizon,
I have never heard egusi being used as cake in Yoruba land neither Apon which you call ogbono eaten as fruit ,
imagine, smh,
Yoruba have various method of cooking egusi too numerous to mention and the Apon too, there is even an ancient Yoruba proverb that says if the Apon is not slimy enough, leave it and cook okro, which is a proverb normally used to tell someone not to waste time on an impossible project, igbos own Apon indeed.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Asswipemod: 12:56am On Apr 02
MrGerald:
you have similar words doesn't mean it's Yoruba, what's egunsi? It's actually egwusi in Igbo

One mookey fink just said its ogwusi. Now your own version is egwusi. Very soon we will see orgwusi or ogunwusi. πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜œπŸ˜œπŸ˜œπŸ˜œπŸ˜œπŸ€ͺπŸ€ͺπŸ€ͺπŸ€ͺπŸ˜œπŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†. Jokers!

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Konquest: 12:58am On Apr 02
Couldntfigurean:
Igbo should learn to gatekeep their foods like the black Americans gatekeep their culture
I once saw an American woman claim okra is from twi,Ghana and many Ghanaians were agreeing with her,how can okwuru be Ghanaian when it’s even documented as far back as the 1800s

And to egusi,youba can’t claim egusi,I know igbos who wouldn’t touch Yoruba foods with a long pole and we have been eaten egusi since time immemorial,so how can you make a soup better the supposed owners?

they (Yoruba) dont even cook theirs like ours,they add Stew and oil,while igbo use ugu(what’s the Yoruba name for ugu?)
Some dumb igbo are now calling ofe akwu banga,with time delta people will tell you how ofe akwu is delta and some dumb people will accept

When it comes to food,leave it for ndigbo,people say Calabar but most Calabar kitchen cook igbo foods and just edikikang

Igbo kwenu
Just to help you out from the very deep ignorance you've posted here...

Many NL folks right from pages 1 and 2 have CLEARLY stated that the melon soup is eaten by several ethnicities in Nigeria and West Africa from time and the Yorubas have eaten the highly nutritious Yoruba melon soup (Obe Egunsi or Obe Egusi) from several centuries back.

The word Egusi is found in the FIRST ever Yoruba-English dictionary published in 1843! The first Ibo dictionary from 1888 written by Bishop Crowther and subsequent ones clearly have NO "Egwusi" or whatever listed in them but has Elili OR Enini which are the ORIGINAL Ibo dialectic names for melon seeds. So, it is very CLEAR based on information from even Ibo scholars below that Egusi is one of the loan words Ibo got from Yorubas in the course of their movements around or via the Igalas who as we know speak a Yoruboid language and have part Yoruba ancestries as a result of the fusion centuries back between migrants from Wukari in Taraba with a significant number of Yorubas and Edos around the River Niger and Benue confluence to form Igala according to late Attah of Igala, Michael Ameh Oboni in a 2017 newspaper interview.

For the Yoruba word called EGUSI that was already CLEARLY recorded in the Yoruba dictionary as of 1843, it is HIGHLY dishonest for some younger Ibos here and elsewhere to start claiming ownership of the spelling and word Egusi when infact several credible sources clearly list Egusi (and even Akara, and Keke) as Yoruba words as of 1843 as can be seen from the X link directly below.

Below is an X Post Showing the 1843 Yoruba Dictionary:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://twitter.com/doluwadamilare1/status/1670471683583406083&ved=2ahUKEwjrz-XGpaKFAxXWhv0HHfVjCAQQFnoECCUQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1oPcz9l05BsKEwiLR-04lc

Below is an Ibo X page stating that Egusi was borrowed from the Yorubas:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://twitter.com/maazi_ogbonnaya/status/1378825430589960193&ved=2ahUKEwjl9O_9p6KFAxVJXUEAHR0GCbMQFnoECE8QAQ&usg=AOvVaw2O9YWM70T8GUUcKcYdTjI3

Below is an Ibo FB page stating that Egusi is NOT an Ibo word but was borrowed:

https://m.facebook.com/101209985249548/posts/original-igbo-name-for-melon-is-%25C3%25A9l%25C3%25ACl%25C3%25AC-or-%25C3%25A9n%25C3%25ACn%25C3%25AC-egwusi-or-egusi-was-borrowed-but-/

Second, the Yoruba name [for what the Ibos call "Ugu"] for hundreds of years has always been EWE WOROKO (Woroko leaf). The English name is Fluted-pumpkin leaves from the Fluted-pumpkin plant which grows naturally in many places around the world. The fact that some folks call it Ugu doesn't mean other ethnic groups don't have their indigenous names for it.

Many ethnic groups have their indigenous names for Fluted-pumpkin leaves. As I stated above, it's called Ewe WΓ²rΓ²kΓ³ in Yoruba language, Kabewa in Hausa, Ikong-Ubong in Efik and Ibibio, and Ugu in Ibo.

The Yoruba folks prepare the very popular Obe WΓ²rΓ²kΓ³ while the Hausas call their type of soup Miyan Kabewa... all from Fluted-pumpkin.

The Fluted-pumpkin is a delicacy in Kenya as well and it's exported abroad.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Alexis11: 1:24am On Apr 02
Dsimmer:

Lol. Obi who was woeful as a governor yet was projected as a Messiah while they forgot that Tinubu was voted because of what he did in Lagos. Such as Increasing Lagos economy at the time OBJ was working against him. While also birthing some projects such as BRT, LFTZ, Eko Atlantic etc.. Heck, Obi admitted that his daughter was employed by Lagos government.

Meanwhile, it was Igbo who voted along ethnic line even though Obi was woeful as a governor yet would be the one to play the victim while accusing others over what they actually did as seen below. Same way they played the victim over the civil war which was actually caused by their covetousness and wickedness.

God bless you. cool

1 Like

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Prince111111: 1:30am On Apr 02
FOOTSOLDIER2:
People asking egusi na igbo soup, Shey the name "Egusi" sounds like Yoruba or Hausa to your ears ?

I'm from Kaduna state but you people will always jealous Igbos
let stop this nonesense. Does egusi sound like Igbo to you? From what I read, every tribe claims it because it is found in Western Africa particularly in Nigeria. And it is even called agushi or akatoa in Ghana. So no tribe can claim it. Or AGUSHI is also Ibotic as you claimed?

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Prince111111: 1:34am On Apr 02
benebaby77:
Egushi soup is not Igbo soup...

I think South South owns White Soup Ofe Nsala

Ooops, you didn't include Ogbono. Almost everyone enjoys Ogbono soup

PS: Egusi soup is a native to Yoruba people.
Thanks for this. I heard it's from Edo but I later remembered that Edos also speak Yoruba
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Konquest: 2:34am On Apr 02
Seniormanfeyi06:
The proof
That's it... It's great you attached that PROOF to your post to show that an Ibo scholar CLEARLY stated that Egusi is a LOAN word Yoruba word being used by Ibos.

I have also attached two X links to my last post which is 3 posts above this current post showing that Elili or Enini are the original name Ibo names for melon seeds used by Ibos NOT Egwusi or whatever (which is a corrupted loan word from the Yoruba word Egusi).

As CLEARLY stated, the Yoruba word Egusi is written in the 1843 Yoruba dictionary showing the historic AUTHENTICITY of the word Egusi to Yorubas. Some of the younger Ibos of today are highly dishonest and would argue blindly with you online over what they know NOTHING about historically just to feel superior but they have ended up looking very stupid with this Elili or Enini revelation.

The chicken has come home to roost and it's very obvious that the Yorubas have been eating the soup called Egusi soup for centuries being that the name Egusi is an indigenous Yoruba word derived from Egunsi which has a meaning.

It is time for proper documentation of history by each ethnicity to avoid people stealing words or food recipes while falsely claiming it belongs to them.

I noticed that the Yoruba word for roasted plantain called BOLI has also been corrupted to Bole (sic) by the Rivers State folks. Even though people have been eating BOLI and peanuts or BOLI and roasted fish or boiled fish informally, credit must be given to the Rivers guys for adding some standard to selling roasted plantain or BOLI and fish together.

What I find objectionable is the deliberate bastardization of the Yoruba word BOLI to the incorrect spelling "bole" despite the fact that a lot of Yorubas live and work in Port Harcourt and environs. If they are ashamed to use the correct Yoruba spelling, then they should drop the name and use their own indigenous names to name BOLI. There are other Nigerian ethnic words that a few ethnic groups deliberately bastardize their spellings and it must stop. Folks have to learn not to disrespect others folks languages by mangling them through bad spellings. Period.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (22) (Reply)

The N100 Orange I Bought In Calabar This Eveninging (photos) / Crowd Celebrates Hilda Baci In Lekki (Video) / How Can I Cook Nigerian Stew Without Frying It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.