Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,640 members, 7,813,130 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:34 AM

Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy (40182 Views)

Top Ten Popular Igbo Soups / Who Is The King Of All Nigerian Soups? (Pictures) / 5 IGBO Soups You Should Try (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Noneroone(m): 3:11pm On Mar 31
In the hot pot of Nigeria’s culinary sensations, one flavour-packed dish has risen above the rest to claim its rightful place as the nation’s favourite Igbo soup. Amidst a vibrant array of traditional flavours and aromatic spices, Egusi soup . Egusi soup emerges victorious, capturing the hearts and taste buds of food enthusiasts across all tribes in Nigeria.

In a recent survey conducted by BusinessDay, food lovers from diverse ethnic backgrounds united in their admiration for Egusi soup, bestowing upon it an overwhelming six out of ten votes. This result is a testament of its rich flavours, hearty texture, and cultural significance.

Egusi soup, a culinary masterpiece that traces its roots to the Igbo people of southeastern Nigeria, has long been celebrated for its exquisite blend of ingredients and meticulous preparation. At its core lies the star of the dish, Egusi, a ground melon seed paste that forms the foundation of the soup’s velvety consistency and nutty flavour profile. Complemented by an array of indigenous spices, fresh vegetables, and an array of succulent chunks of meat, stock fish and pomo, Egusi soup embodies the essence of traditional Igbo cuisine.

“Anytime I want to eat swallow, Egusi soup is my go to order. I don’t play with it. Especially when it is garnished properly,” Samuel Prince told BusinessDay

Following closely behind Egusi soup in the survey results is Ofe Oha, a tantalising dish that secured four votes. Known for its thick consistency and delicious representation of flavours, Ofe Oha is a complex soup in the sense that when prepared right, it captures hearts; but if prepared otherwise, the result would ruin palates.

From the southeastern region of Nigeria, this traditional delicacy has earned a dedicated following among food enthusiasts who appreciate its rich depths of flavour. It is best enjoyed with akpu/fufu.

Rounding out the top three is Ofe Nsala, also known as White Soup, which garnered two out of ten votes. Despite its bare coloured appearance, this deceptively simple dish packs a punch with its subtle blend of spices and tender pieces of meat or fish.

Originating from the Igbo-speaking regions of Nigeria, Ofe Nsala has earned a reputation for its flavour profile without the touch of palm oil.

“What makes Ofe Nsala so special is in its simplicity; it is just too good,” said Juliet, who gave her vote for the survey.

In the quest of this survey, one thing stands out; these soups are recognised by their special rights of identity and taste. Whether savouring the robust flavours of Egusi soup, delighting in the aromatic spices of Ofe Oha, or revelling in the signature exception of Ofe Nsala, Nigerians from all walks of life find common ground in their shared appreciation of food.

https://businessday.ng/bd-weekender/article/igbo-soups-all-tribes-in-nigeria-enjoy/?amp=1

37 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Bulldozer90: 3:16pm On Mar 31
What of Okro, Ogbono ,Onugbo soups and Ofe akwu? They are popular Igbo soups as well.

Let me give you a tip. Any soup that has either Ogiri or Okpeyi as it's major seasoning ingredient is an Igbo soup. This is the case with the soups I listed above including the one listed by the op.

Premiumbuy:
Premium Be Unto You
Inferiority complex!

Still don't understand why Igbo are trying to claim Egusi soup.

Who is inferior sir? The Igbo civilization that boast of having the most popular delicacies in Africa or the Your SW race that is trying to culturally appropriate Igbo delicacies and culture?

Which ingredients of Egusi soup is associated with Yorubas? Is it Ugu, bitterleaf, Okpeyi, Achi ,Orsu or Ukazi?

Today you mock Igbos as Akpu munchers, the next day you claim it's not of Igbo origin.

169 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Obiedun(m): 4:10pm On Mar 31
Pure inferiority complex

93 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Premiumbuy(m): 10:27pm On Mar 31
Premium Be Unto You
Still don't understand why Igbo are trying to claim Egusi soup.

175 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Kingrshd3: 6:22pm On Apr 01
Let's confirm from PitObi if egusi is an Igbo food or not 🚭🚫

43 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by dibunotion(m): 6:22pm On Apr 01
Igbo amaka. I must marry ibo girl.

59 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by bouncin04(m): 6:22pm On Apr 01
Ofe Akwu and Ofe Egusi

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by chudez0147(m): 6:22pm On Apr 01
Egusi

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Houseofglam7(f): 6:22pm On Apr 01
🥳
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Adedotguy: 6:22pm On Apr 01
grin
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by ArinzeAnthony03: 6:22pm On Apr 01
No comment

1 Like

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Makunahatata: 6:22pm On Apr 01
Egusi no b Igbo soup..den dey eat egusi for Ghana, Cameroon, Sierra Leone e.t.c .

Ghanians call it akatewa stew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kM7brgG-ss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnEYGLPi8Lk

99 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by FOOTSOLDIER2(f): 6:22pm On Apr 01
Igbo amaka

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Kemadealadire(f): 6:23pm On Apr 01
Egusi

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Coder2Client(m): 6:23pm On Apr 01
Is Egusi an igbo soup?

What do igbos call melon in their language?

91 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by FOOTSOLDIER2(f): 6:23pm On Apr 01
Makunahatata:
Egusi no b Igbo soup

Egusi na Igbo soup cheesy

56 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by FOOTSOLDIER2(f): 6:23pm On Apr 01
People asking egusi na igbo soup, Shey the name "Egusi" sounds like Yoruba or Hausa to your ears ?

I'm from Kaduna state but you people will always jealous Igbos

196 Likes 26 Shares

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Dpharisee: 6:23pm On Apr 01
I have a friend from the North who served in Enugu State, since after service this guy can't do without Oha Soup prepared with goat meat grin

48 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by benebaby77: 6:23pm On Apr 01
Egushi soup is not Igbo soup...

I think South South owns White Soup Ofe Nsala

Ooops, you didn't include Ogbono. Almost everyone enjoys Ogbono soup

PS: Egusi soup is a native to Yoruba people.

38 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Codepain: 6:24pm On Apr 01
Egusi is not igbo soup like 70% of all the soup listed

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Emu4life(m): 6:24pm On Apr 01
I used to think they are South Southern soups.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by ReacherSaidNoth: 6:24pm On Apr 01
And you wonder why other tribes have a problem with you people cheesy. What is the point of this claim you cannot backup?

74 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by allen113: 6:24pm On Apr 01
Ok
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by EreluRoz: 6:24pm On Apr 01
If I cook egusi soup for you, you'll lick and cut your hand join

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by ignis: 6:24pm On Apr 01
Ofe Oha (Oha Soup) is my favorite.

11 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Makunahatata: 6:24pm On Apr 01
FOOTSOLDIER2:

Egusi na Igbo soup cheesy
nah
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by AngelicBeing: 6:24pm On Apr 01
grin
Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by helinues: 6:25pm On Apr 01
grin

Tribalism no reach food side

Egusi na southern food no be only a particular region food.

40 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by EreluRoz: 6:25pm On Apr 01
FOOTSOLDIER2:
People asking egusi na igbo soup, Shey the name "Egusi" sounds like Yoruba or Hausa to your ears ?

I'm from Kaduna state but you people will always jealous Igbos
Egusi sounds more yoruba

312 Likes 21 Shares

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by mariahAngel(f): 6:26pm On Apr 01
Egusi soup will cause war on this thread.

This I've seen. undecided

16 Likes

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by Asswipemod: 6:26pm On Apr 01
Noneroone:

https://businessday.ng/bd-weekender/article/igbo-soups-all-tribes-in-nigeria-enjoy/?amp=1

Even the word "egunsi" is not Igbo. This inferiority complex has been shifted to food. Oga o.

56 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy by illicit(m): 6:26pm On Apr 01
I enjoy Igbo girls

The light skinned ones

13 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply)

Hardship: 5 Cheap Soups You Can Cook With N1000 In Nigeria / See This Fire Wood Cooking Stove Invented By A Nigerian / Yoruba Name For Mint Leaf.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.