Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,574 members, 7,812,865 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:58 PM

Houston Woman Divorces Her Brain Dead Husband, Then Adopts Him - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Houston Woman Divorces Her Brain Dead Husband, Then Adopts Him (43444 Views)

Woman Divorces Her Husband, Forces Daughter To Go With Her (Photos) / Mother Snatches Her Daughter's Husband, Then Gives Birth For Him In London / Woman Divorces Her Husband Over Too Much Sex In Adamawa, Husband Appeals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Houston Woman Divorces Her Brain Dead Husband, Then Adopts Him by nlfpmod: 8:42pm On Apr 03

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjmS5SaNZ1c

HOUSTON — This is a love story about angels on earth who make up a uniquely beautiful, blended Houston family.

Kris Armstrong and Brandon Smith were high school sweethearts who got married at 21 and couldn’t wait to start a family.

Two years later, in 2008, their whole world came crashing down when Brandon was nearly killed in a crash with a moving truck.

He was in a coma, and we didn’t know if and when he would wake up, and what would happen,” Kris told CBS News correspondent David Begnaud.

When Brandon came out of the coma two months later, doctors said he had a traumatic brain injury and would need constant care. The Brandon Kris had married was gone, and she went from being a wife to a caretaker at the age of 23.

"When someone has a severe traumatic brain injury, in a big way, you lose that person, but you gain somebody new," Kris told CBS. "And it took me a long time to realize that."

For the next five years, her life revolved around caring for Brandon, while shelving her dreams of someday having children.

Kris prayed for guidance before making the toughest decision of her life.

"I had made vows that I would be with him in sickness and health, and I took that very seriously," Kris said. "I didn't stay married to him, but I wanted to take care of him."

She divorced Brandon but fought to become his legal guardian so she could continue to provide the care he would need for the rest of his life.

In 2014, Kris met James Armstrong, a single father of a small child. She explained that she and Brandon were a package deal.

"I have a former husband that I take care of and he's a part of my life and I realize that's a lot," Kris told James. "But if you're interested in dating me, that comes with the territory."

"It didn't bother me at all. It intrigued me more because I knew that Kris had a good heart,” James said.

Kris and James eventually got married and her dream of becoming a mom finally came true. She and James have two daughters, 4-year-old Meadow and 6-year-old Juniper.

Brandon is still very much a part of their family. The girls adore him and love hanging out with “Uncle Brandon” and snuggling with him on the couch.

“It’s a sad story but there’s a lot of beauty in it too,” James said.

Brandon lives in a nursing home now, but the family brings him home every few days and James helps feed and bathe him.

“I mean, the fact that we change Brandon together, I can do it by myself but it’s very, very hard,” Kris said. “James helps me, that’s such a gift of love.”

Kris also takes their daughters to see Brandon every Wednesday for a picnic lunch outside.

No matter what the future holds, the couple vows that Brandon will always be in their lives.

“He is a very part of who I am because I carry my heart in his heart and I always will,” Kris said. “And so, the decisions that I’ve made to be, to have him in our life, be a part of our family is because I can’t not. You know, when somebody is so tied to you, you can’t untie that.”

If anything ever happens to Kris, James says he will fight for guardianship of Brandon.

“It’s not just loving her, it’s loving Brandon, too, you know, he needs us,” James said. "He needs people that love him.”

https://www.khou.com/article/life/heartwarming/woman-divorces-husband-becomes-caretaker-tbi/285-b17c09d5-e1c2-47cb-9014-e9c48edc122c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kq0V5jQo-0?si=1Vy_ECja2eEmHRpe

31 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Houston Woman Divorces Her Brain Dead Husband, Then Adopts Him by IrawoKross: 8:43pm On Apr 03
God!!! cry

You sent your angel in a human form to that young man....

It will be nearly impossible to see one Nigerian lady do this.

God bless her for this.

367 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Houston Woman Divorces Her Brain Dead Husband, Then Adopts Him by tankoagaie: 8:47pm On Apr 03
what a confusion

24 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Houston Woman Divorces Her Brain Dead Husband, Then Adopts Him by DiskJokeyManic: 8:47pm On Apr 03
Nawa ooo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Houston Woman Divorces Her Brain Dead Husband, Then Adopts Him by callmevirus(m): 8:48pm On Apr 03
Nothing concern me but E dey mind

1 Like

Re: Houston Woman Divorces Her Brain Dead Husband, Then Adopts Him by nairalee(m): 8:48pm On Apr 03
This lady got a good heart

179 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Houston Woman Divorces Her Brain Dead Husband, Then Adopts Him by HateBigots: 8:48pm On Apr 03
cool
Re: Houston Woman Divorces Her Brain Dead Husband, Then Adopts Him by Hambivert: 8:48pm On Apr 03
I don't know how to react to this story, it has a sparogative paradoxical feel. It's wrongly the right decision she made.

38 Likes

Re: Houston Woman Divorces Her Brain Dead Husband, Then Adopts Him by oluwaseyi0: 8:48pm On Apr 03
God bless her,she is ready to stay till the very end

And she can easily remarry while still taking care of him

82 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Houston Woman Divorces Her Brain Dead Husband, Then Adopts Him by Risingblue008(m): 8:48pm On Apr 03
Oyibo woman get problem
But 9ja own na out of the world

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Houston Woman Divorces Her Brain Dead Husband, Then Adopts Him by MICHEALADEX(m): 8:48pm On Apr 03
I should have adopted your president in 2017...

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Houston Woman Divorces Her Brain Dead Husband, Then Adopts Him by theophorus(m): 8:48pm On Apr 03
I Salute this Kris ooo.
Seriously, this kind Love scarce ooo.

Thank You for Being Good.

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Houston Woman Divorces Her Brain Dead Husband, Then Adopts Him by MICHEALADEX(m): 8:48pm On Apr 03
Dead

1 Like

Re: Houston Woman Divorces Her Brain Dead Husband, Then Adopts Him by wwwkaycom(m): 8:48pm On Apr 03
The woman is braindead herself

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Houston Woman Divorces Her Brain Dead Husband, Then Adopts Him by obinna58(m): 8:49pm On Apr 03
Is he her son now? Olosho in her no gree

I hope she helps him to still perform his manly duties
Re: Houston Woman Divorces Her Brain Dead Husband, Then Adopts Him by elpochas: 8:50pm On Apr 03
Sense no go kill the Woman.

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Houston Woman Divorces Her Brain Dead Husband, Then Adopts Him by Khallicopyro: 8:50pm On Apr 03
Death is not the worst thing that can happen to a man

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Houston Woman Divorces Her Brain Dead Husband, Then Adopts Him by tecnolad(m): 8:50pm On Apr 03
She's a sweet soul. Many would walk immediately he became vegetable. Same goes for men. God bless that woman

59 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Houston Woman Divorces Her Brain Dead Husband, Then Adopts Him by sacajawea: 8:50pm On Apr 03
His immediate family nko?

11 Likes

Re: Houston Woman Divorces Her Brain Dead Husband, Then Adopts Him by Raalsalghul: 8:51pm On Apr 03
IrawoKross:
God!!! cry

God bless her for this.

grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Houston Woman Divorces Her Brain Dead Husband, Then Adopts Him by Urgent1Million: 8:51pm On Apr 03
With tears rolling down my cheeks, I drop my ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️
What a story!!

19 Likes

Re: Houston Woman Divorces Her Brain Dead Husband, Then Adopts Him by incogni2o: 8:51pm On Apr 03
Wao
Re: Houston Woman Divorces Her Brain Dead Husband, Then Adopts Him by id4sho(m): 8:52pm On Apr 03
tongue
Re: Houston Woman Divorces Her Brain Dead Husband, Then Adopts Him by edogu(m): 8:52pm On Apr 03
Mehn, this is heartbreaking. The picture reminds me of a nollywood childhood actor who is now in a vegetative state - Ifeanyi Ezeokeke (Ugoshave).

May God continue to bless this woman. It's not everyone that can do this kind of charity. It's not easy to take care of a sick baby talk more of an adult.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Houston Woman Divorces Her Brain Dead Husband, Then Adopts Him by okomile(f): 8:52pm On Apr 03
Read this weeks ago
Re: Houston Woman Divorces Her Brain Dead Husband, Then Adopts Him by franugo(m): 8:53pm On Apr 03
Just wow....what a love
Re: Houston Woman Divorces Her Brain Dead Husband, Then Adopts Him by jojothaiv(m): 8:53pm On Apr 03
I had made vows that I would be with him in sickness and health, and I took that very seriously," Kris said. "I didn't stay married to him, but I wanted to take care of him."

Commas full the story sha but make go reason my life for beer parlor first, I know some people live for relationship while few breathe for responsibilities.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Houston Woman Divorces Her Brain Dead Husband, Then Adopts Him by Amfem: 8:53pm On Apr 03
The definition of love in the west is very close to the eternal love that christ preached.
I haven't read such a soul inspiring news from Africa, not even one.

Genuine love can't forget! It burns even in death. Get healed brother Brandon!

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Houston Woman Divorces Her Brain Dead Husband, Then Adopts Him by Administration1: 8:54pm On Apr 03
9ja girls left the chat

10 Likes

Re: Houston Woman Divorces Her Brain Dead Husband, Then Adopts Him by KIDfurniture(m): 8:54pm On Apr 03
Naija woman ke! A naija woman will rrnage for his untimely death with her own mother fast fast. Naija women that grew up in poverty tend to act wild and have evil plans especially the police mothers . They are evil.

IrawoKross:
God!!! cry

God bless her for this.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Houston Woman Divorces Her Brain Dead Husband, Then Adopts Him by wman(m): 8:55pm On Apr 03
Understandable.

1 Like

Re: Houston Woman Divorces Her Brain Dead Husband, Then Adopts Him by Rebuker(m): 8:55pm On Apr 03
This is tough

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Forcing A Child To Eat: Is This Child Abuse? / Help Me My Sister Is Getting Out Of Hand / A Thread For 2016 Brides and Grooms To Be

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.