Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,547 members, 7,812,736 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:17 PM

Lagos-calabar Coastal Road: Landmark, Govt Mull Win-win Solution To Avoid Demoli - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos-calabar Coastal Road: Landmark, Govt Mull Win-win Solution To Avoid Demoli (21124 Views)

FG Dumps N16 Trillion Railway Projects For N2.6trn Lagos-calabar Coastal Road —I / Construction Of Coastal Road From Lagos To Eight States / Hardship: APC Workers Mull Protest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos-calabar Coastal Road: Landmark, Govt Mull Win-win Solution To Avoid Demoli by TouchNfollow(f): 5:52pm On Apr 08
Lagos-Calabar Coastal Road: Landmark, govt mull win-win solution to avoid demolition

The authorities of Landmark Group have said that they are top level discussion with various arms of both federal and Lagos State governments with a view to achieving a win-win solution that will avert the demolition of their properties which notice was given to them a few days ago.

The authorities, who were reacting to concerns raised by their family, friends, concerned stakeholders, and well-wishers following the demolition notice which has been circulating on social media, say they are confident that a solution which sees to the development of the Road while preserving a proudly Nigerian business can be achieved.

The demolition notice, which was issued by the Lagos State government followed the decision by the federal government to commence the construction of the Lagos-Calabar Coastal Road which is expected to affect several tourism and socioeconomic impact businesses located within the Road’s right of way.

I wish to confirm that we are in active talks with various arms of the federal and state governments including the Lagos State Government, the Federal and State Ministries of Tourism, and the Federal Ministry of Works as well as several interest groups,” Paul Onwuanibe, Landmark’s CEO, stated on his social media page at the weekend.

Onwuanibe revealed that the group has received firm assurances that there will be no disruptions to business while they work to agree on win-win solutions including rerouting the first 1.5km out of the 700km stretch of the Road to its original location along the undeveloped Water Corporation Road median.

We believe that with careful collaboration and consultation, a small number of other minor reroutes may be required to sustain the existing socioeconomic activity along the course of this Road.

I believe the Coastal Road is a commendable project by the government which will significantly boost the economy, and engaged consultations (as are ongoing) will help determine ways of developing the Road while preserving the Landmark Group ecosystem businesses that are remitting billions of Naira in taxes annually while employing thousands of Nigerians,” he said.

He disclosed that within the Landmark ecosystem are over 80 diverse businesses half of which are SMEs operating from a world class integrated location along the Water Corporation Road and, in synergy, provide a variety of corporate, leisure, hospitality and tourism services to the over three million local and international visitors who visit the ecosystem yearly.

Onwuanibe noted that these businesses are, in conjunction, spotlighting Lagos as a viable tourism destination on the global stage, adding that their location is arguably the most visited waterfront destination on the West African coast “Owned By Nigerians, For Nigerians, And In Nigeria.”

Going down memory lane, the CEO recalled that the Landmark Group began its corporate life in Europe in 1998 but pivoted to Africa in 2003 with debut operations in Lagos, Nigeria. The group, according to him, has invested over US$100 million in the last 20 years in the Nigerian economy because of their deep faith in the possibilities of this country.

“We have consistently proven that Nigerians, working together, irrespective of tribe or creed, are capable of delivering world class leisure, hospitality and tourism service to millions of Nigerians, the Diaspora and foreigners alike.

Our success story would not have been possible without some government support and particularly that of the Lagos State government. I take due note of the concerns of our over three million ecosystem visitors and customers and,” Onwuanibe said.

https://businessday.ng/news/article/lagos-calabar-coastal-road-landmark-govt-mull-win-win-solution-to-avoid-demolition/

6 Likes

Re: Lagos-calabar Coastal Road: Landmark, Govt Mull Win-win Solution To Avoid Demoli by christejames(m): 5:53pm On Apr 08
Everyone knows it's all a 'wild goose cry' undecided

Landmark Centre was not in the original plan of the project, the original route is the Water Corporation Road behind Landmark but some mischief makers either from the govt (to get some money from landmark) or from some overzealous staff of Landmark (or even Landmark themselves) just to gain more publicity shocked

Think, think 🤔 guys!!

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos-calabar Coastal Road: Landmark, Govt Mull Win-win Solution To Avoid Demoli by Paraman: 5:53pm On Apr 08
I'm fully in support of this win-win solution. I'm not in support of demolishing landmark.

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos-calabar Coastal Road: Landmark, Govt Mull Win-win Solution To Avoid Demoli by Ofunaofu: 6:43pm On Apr 08
Its going to be a win win solution if landmark is not demolished

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos-calabar Coastal Road: Landmark, Govt Mull Win-win Solution To Avoid Demoli by Slytiger: 6:44pm On Apr 08
Okay..

👇

1 Like

Re: Lagos-calabar Coastal Road: Landmark, Govt Mull Win-win Solution To Avoid Demoli by Artscollection: 6:59pm On Apr 08
Hate it or love it, those that came up with the idea of demolition of that estate was because of their hatred and high level bigotry but what those idiots didn't realize is that their kind will be more affected by that action hence the hastiness of their findings and seven days ultimatum but it dawn on them they will be on the loosing side. Talking of huge taxes to d number of people employed n some idiots where saying other business will spring up their, on a high way lipsrsealed some people are just wicked !!!

42 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Lagos-calabar Coastal Road: Landmark, Govt Mull Win-win Solution To Avoid Demoli by ngwaIgbo223: 7:09pm On Apr 08
You want to use our eastern region oil money build road and still want to destroy our business.

It won't work.

112 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lagos-calabar Coastal Road: Landmark, Govt Mull Win-win Solution To Avoid Demoli by tollyboy5(m): 7:27pm On Apr 08
ngwaIgbo223:
You want to use our eastern region oil money build road and still want to destroy our business.

It won't work.
It's south south that owns the oil

47 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Lagos-calabar Coastal Road: Landmark, Govt Mull Win-win Solution To Avoid Demoli by Slytiger: 7:42pm On Apr 08
tollyboy5:

100%. Even Lagos produces more oil than Abia and Imo oil is a drop in the bucket. Even Lagos and Kogi each produces more oil.
Oil in Nigerian regions.👇

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos-calabar Coastal Road: Landmark, Govt Mull Win-win Solution To Avoid Demoli by Penguin2: 7:48pm On Apr 08
The only saving grace Onwuanibe has in this whole saga is that the Minster of Works is an Igbo man that can actually influence the contractors to reroute the road.

If a Ronu from the Jagaban Lagos circle was the minister of works, it would have been Otilo.

I’m sure it’s been long their hearts have been bleeding that an Igbo man owns such an investment in Lagos.

28 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Lagos-calabar Coastal Road: Landmark, Govt Mull Win-win Solution To Avoid Demoli by Penguin2: 8:08pm On Apr 08
Slytiger:

100%. Even Lagos produces more oil than Abia and Imo oil is a drop in the bucket. Even Lagos and Kogi each produces more oil.
Lol!

This one na Ronu statistics.

Even as we speak, Kogi is not receiving derivation from FAAC but Anambra is. But surreptitiously, Anambra didn’t make Ronu’s statistics.

But that aside, Imo State holds the largest cubic feet of Gas Deposit in Africa. And with the world going to cleaner gas, Imo will the most important state in Nigeria in few years.

But I’m not asking you to believe, you can go ahead and produce more of your fake statistics until reality dawns.

And before I forget, isn’t it a miracle that proponents of “na statistics we go chop” are now producing (flawed) statistics?

37 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Lagos-calabar Coastal Road: Landmark, Govt Mull Win-win Solution To Avoid Demoli by Faiththatworks(m): 9:30pm On Apr 08
I don't understand this unnecessary hullabaloo about Landmark and his bar beach that he claims he used 200m$ to develop.
I guess this man must have calculated the ocean as part of his investment in arriving at the 200m$.
Landmark should go back and read his C of O if he has any, everyone is a tenant on any land in Nigeria,there's no total ownership of Land anywhere in this country.
That's why Government can demolish any property anywhere and pay a compensation to the supposed owner,I can count how many properties that were demolished in other to build the overhead bridge in Cele Express,Abule Egba,Ajah and many other places in Lagos.
I'm still puzzled as to what we can consider a pubic good other than a road going from Lagos to Calabar in less than 7 hours.
I believe the Government mustn't give into to this emotional blackmail by Landmark and instead move their caterpillars to demolish any part of the business that need to be scrapped for the remaining 17 million Lagosians and 200 million Nigerians who will use the Road.
I dread the day a citizen will wake up and oppose Government if it wants to build an overhead bridge in a city like ikotun egbe.
Emotions must be discarded if we will ever develop in Nigeria.
God bless Nigeria.

26 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Lagos-calabar Coastal Road: Landmark, Govt Mull Win-win Solution To Avoid Demoli by Paraman: 11:23pm On Apr 08
Penguin2:
The only saving grace Onwuanibe has in this whole saga is that the Minster of Works is an Igbo man that can actually influence the contractors to reroute the road.

If a Ronu from the Jagaban Lagos circle was the minister of works, it would have been Otilo.

I’m sure it’s been long their hearts have been bleeding that an Igbo man owns such an investment in Lagos.

All this una victim mentality and online empty chest beating is laughable.

The Government wants a win-win situation.

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Lagos-calabar Coastal Road: Landmark, Govt Mull Win-win Solution To Avoid Demoli by kettykin: 12:07am On Apr 09
Landmark just scores another Landmark awareness without spending a dime in advertisements or marketing communications. Every corporate office now know a place for their end of year retreat or team building events without flying the whole team to Dubai. Sometimes being on the news for either good or bad reasons is a big PR stunt.
Watch how the revenue will triple in the coming months.

If Landmark fully recovers, my 10 cents advice is to diversify to other states and spread your risks

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos-calabar Coastal Road: Landmark, Govt Mull Win-win Solution To Avoid Demoli by StOla: 12:47am On Apr 09
Penguin2:

You mean the same Lagos state government that grants approvals for every property development and land use in the state, did not know that landmark is owned by an Igbo man?

You guys are irredeemable.

You actually love being tribal victims of every government policy.

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lagos-calabar Coastal Road: Landmark, Govt Mull Win-win Solution To Avoid Demoli by StOla: 12:56am On Apr 09
ngwaIgbo223:

It won't work.

You are still living in the old and decayed past of Eastern Region where NigerDelta oil money was being used to develop Enugu, and when the NigerDelta struggle for secession was lead by Isaac Adaka Boro, his group was violently quenched by Aguiyi-Ironsi and Ojukwu, while Adaka Boro himself was locked up for Treason.

Even the SouthWest does not hold on to the Midwest of Edo and Delta, the way you SouthEasterners have refused to stand alone without the former parts that are now part of SouthSouth with Edo and Delta states.

Is it a case of Inferiority complex or a need to return to the past when you fed fat off the minority NigerDelta?

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lagos-calabar Coastal Road: Landmark, Govt Mull Win-win Solution To Avoid Demoli by oyatz(m): 1:02am On Apr 09
Artscollection:
Hate it or love it, those that came up with the idea of demolition of that estate was because of their hatred and high level bigotry but what those idiots didn't realize is that their kind will be more affected by that action hence the hastiness of their findings and seven days ultimatum but it dawn on them they will be on the loosing side. Talking of huge taxes to d number of people employed n some idiots where saying other business will spring up their, on a high way lipsrsealed some people are just wicked !!!

Ndi Victim Mentality, Landmark not an Estate but a Beach (a recreation centre).

97 Likes

Re: Lagos-calabar Coastal Road: Landmark, Govt Mull Win-win Solution To Avoid Demoli by Xiaohei(m): 1:07am On Apr 09
Faiththatworks:
I don't understand this unnecessary hullabaloo about Landmark and his bar beach that he claims he used 200m$ to develop.
I guess this man must have calculated the ocean as part of his investment in arriving at the 200m$.
Landmark should go back and read his C of O if he has any, everyone is a tenant on any land in Nigeria,there's no total ownership of Land anywhere in this country.
That's why Government can demolish any property anywhere and pay a compensation to the supposed owner,I can count how many properties that were demolished in other to build the overhead bridge in Cele Express,Abule Egba,Ajah and many other places in Lagos.
I'm still puzzled as to what we can consider a pubic good other than a road going from Lagos to Calabar in less than 7 hours.
I believe the Government mustn't give into to this emotional blackmail by Landmark and instead move their caterpillars to demolish any part of the business that need to be scrapped for the remaining 17 million Lagosians and 200 million Nigerians who will use the Road.
I dread the day a citizen will wake up and oppose Government if it wants to build an overhead bridge in a city like ikotun egbe.
God bless Nigeria.

You sound like someone who has never invested in any startups, nor invested in a real estate even if it’s a shanty! The ludicrous thinking of some Nigerians, even the so-called educated ones will never cease to amaze me.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos-calabar Coastal Road: Landmark, Govt Mull Win-win Solution To Avoid Demoli by oyatz(m): 1:15am On Apr 09
Penguin2:

Lol!

This one na Ronu statistics.

Even as we speak, Kogi is not receiving derivation from FAAC but Anambra is. But surreptitiously, Anambra didn’t make Ronu’s statistics.

But that aside, Imo State holds the largest cubic feet of Gas Deposit in Africa. And with the world going to cleaner gas, Imo will the most important state in Nigeria in few years.

But I’m not asking you to believe, you can go ahead and produce more of your fake statistics until reality dawns.

And before I forget, isn’t it a miracle that proponents of “na statistics we go chop” are now producing (flawed) statistics?

You and all these your childish contests on Nairaland.

Oil & Gas are natural resources (I.e made and deposited by God across several lands and under the sea), thus with modern Technology, crude oil & Gas can be found in so many States/countries if you are willing to pay for the cost.

Investment in extraction and refining of these minerals varies depending on many factors.

Whether Imo has all the Gas in the whole wide world is nobody's business except those who invested in tapping and making use of the Gas which can be Momoh from Auchi in partnership with John Stew from Hampshire, Andrew Pedro from Castile, Akinlawon from Igboho and Nngozika from Isiala-Ngwa or Total Energy of France.

94 Likes

Re: Lagos-calabar Coastal Road: Landmark, Govt Mull Win-win Solution To Avoid Demoli by oyatz(m): 1:27am On Apr 09
Xiaohei:

You sound like someone who has never invested in any startups, or invested in a real estate even if it’s a shanty! The ludicrous thinking of some Nigerians, even the so-called educated ones will never cease to amaze me.

I hope you know that major infrastructure you see in Lagos, Abuja and other parts of Nigeria were built on properties owned by other people but were demolished to build structures for greater good of the societies?

The National Theatre and Oshodi-Apapa express ways were built on some people's ancestral homes.

There was a town called Mosan on the place where Jakande Estate,Ipaja was built about 42 years ago, which was 'relocated' .

All the 12 Jakande Estates were built on previously existing towns/villages that were demolished and these settlements never recovered.

98 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos-calabar Coastal Road: Landmark, Govt Mull Win-win Solution To Avoid Demoli by olisaEze(m): 1:32am On Apr 09
The only institution keeping Nigerians from becoming outright slaves to the elite in their own country is the foreign media. The coastal road originally signed by GEJ was not in anyway impaired by the location of the beach resort. What made them divert it through a property whose destruction would amount to a loss of $1.5million in annual revenues? Rara, it was not out of any primordial interest like tribalism o, but "if I say, A, you say P, another man say C, omoh na you sabi. cool

2 Likes

Re: Lagos-calabar Coastal Road: Landmark, Govt Mull Win-win Solution To Avoid Demoli by ngwaIgbo223: 1:38am On Apr 09
tollyboy5:

Lying bastard... south South my ass it's eastern region.
Re: Lagos-calabar Coastal Road: Landmark, Govt Mull Win-win Solution To Avoid Demoli by kingmaster2009: 1:40am On Apr 09
ngwaIgbo223:

It won't work.

What quantity of crude oil do eastern region generate ?
But Soludo , Alex Otti etc can demolish as he like in Anambra and Abia state . Whenever there is need for it...but When it comes to Lagos state Una go dey play all kind of mind game or victim game to deceive some Yoruba people and opinions leaders in Yoruba land....I'm sure if the same landmark Resort Centre is in Abia state , Alex Otti could have demolish if need call for it , without any recourse ..
The better all these Yoruba people know how you play your game against your host the better for them.....
I remember recent demolition in Lagos state ...around Somolu/ Bariga . The Lagos state government demolish so many houses around that area ..just because those area are majorly owned by Yoruba people, there wasn't much noise ...but if the same was done in Okota , Festac, Ajao estate (Ibo populated area)...it could have been another ball game...

6 Likes

Re: Lagos-calabar Coastal Road: Landmark, Govt Mull Win-win Solution To Avoid Demoli by ngwaIgbo223: 1:40am On Apr 09
StOla:

You are still living in the old and decayed past of Eastern Region where NigerDelta oil money was being used to develop Enugu, and when the NigerDelta struggle for secession was lead by Isaac Adaka Boro, his group was violently quenched by Aguiyi-Ironsi and Ojukwu, while Adaka Boro himself was locked up for Treason.

Even the SouthWest does not hold on to the Midwest of Edo and Delta, the way you SouthEasterners have refused to stand alone without the former parts that are now part of SouthSouth with Edo and Delta states.

Is it a case of Inferiority complex or a need to return to the past when you fed fat off the minority NigerDelta?

Continue to attach your useless self, everyone hates you in Eastern region... voting pattern shows.

You will die dreaming to be us and you won't.
Re: Lagos-calabar Coastal Road: Landmark, Govt Mull Win-win Solution To Avoid Demoli by Xiaohei(m): 2:38am On Apr 09
oyatz:

I hope you know that major infrastructure you see in Lagos, Abuja and other parts of Nigeria were built on properties owned by other people but were demolished to build structures for greater good of the societies?

The National Theatre and Oshodi-Apapa express ways were built on some people's ancestral homes.

There was a town called Mosan on the place where Jakande Estate,Ipaja was built about 42 years ago, which was 'relocated' .

All the 12 Jakande Estates were built on previously existing towns/villages that were demolished and these settlements never recovered.

Yes! The federal and state governments own all land that fall under their respective jurisdictions. However, in most cases except when there’s abuse of power in play, the government would not arbitrarily pull down properties; but would rather liaise with all stakeholders to find amicable solutions to compensate those affected. And that’s what it appears the LASG is doing in this case. Landmark has invested billions of Naira of investors capital in its business - a business that employs hundred or perhaps thousands of workers, and also remits billions of naira in taxes to the LASG. Does it make any logical sense if such a business is demolished as stipulated in the demolition order?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos-calabar Coastal Road: Landmark, Govt Mull Win-win Solution To Avoid Demoli by Bestmanfornow: 2:39am On Apr 09
Slytiger:

I have told you to stop fooling yourself, Lagos doesn't produce any oil recently, say no to propaganda
This is 2024

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos-calabar Coastal Road: Landmark, Govt Mull Win-win Solution To Avoid Demoli by idahme(m): 2:45am On Apr 09
christejames:
Everyone knows it's all a 'wild goose cry' undecided

Landmark Centre was not in the original plan of the project, the original route is the Water Corporation Road behind Landmark but some mischief makers either from the govt (to get some money from landmark) or from some overzealous staff of Landmark (or even Landmark themselves) just to gain more publicity shocked

Think, think 🤔 guys!!

What are you thinking when they have served th m notice? This thinking would have been when it's not authentic but there is an official document towards this.

The Government should pay the worth back to the investors or make a win win situation possible.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos-calabar Coastal Road: Landmark, Govt Mull Win-win Solution To Avoid Demoli by AcadaWriter: 3:13am On Apr 09
Okay..👇
Re: Lagos-calabar Coastal Road: Landmark, Govt Mull Win-win Solution To Avoid Demoli by DrAkpamudehe: 3:32am On Apr 09
Faiththatworks:
God bless Nigeria.

Agbado has spoken

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos-calabar Coastal Road: Landmark, Govt Mull Win-win Solution To Avoid Demoli by Artscollection: 3:43am On Apr 09
oyatz:

Ndi Victim Mentality, Landmark not an Estate but a Beach (a recreation centre).

A typical agbadorian!!! Estate as a nomenclature is not limited to what you call estate, osogbo miscreant!!!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos-calabar Coastal Road: Landmark, Govt Mull Win-win Solution To Avoid Demoli by ngwaIgbo223: 4:13am On Apr 09
kingmaster2009:

What quantity of crude oil do eastern region generate ?
But Soludo , Alex Otti etc can demolish as he like in Anambra and Abia state . Whenever there is need for it...but When it comes to Lagos state Una go dey play all kind of mind game or victim game to deceive some Yoruba people and opinions leaders in Yoruba land....I'm sure if the same landmark Resort Centre is in Abia state , Alex Otti could have demolish if need call for it , without any recourse ..
The better all these Yoruba people know how you play your game against your host the better for them.....
I remember recent demolition in Lagos state ...around Somolu/ Bariga . The Lagos state government demolish so many houses around that area ..just because those area are majorly owned by Yoruba people, there wasn't much noise ...but if the same was done in Okota , Festac, Ajao estate (Ibo populated area)...it could have been another ball game...

Lagos is no man's Land... when it's done in Ondo or ekiti I won't mind.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos-calabar Coastal Road: Landmark, Govt Mull Win-win Solution To Avoid Demoli by Penguin2: 7:37am On Apr 09
StOla:

You mean the same Lagos state government that grants approvals for every property development and land use in the state, did not know that landmark is owned by an Igbo man?

You guys are irredeemable.

You actually love being tribal victims of every government policy.
Landmark was approved and established in 2007 when Tinubu was yet to go full ballistic with his Ronu Agenda.

By the time that extermination of Igbos became a government policy, Landmark already took root and the only thing they could was to wait and bide their time until there’s an opportunity to take the business down. That opportunity is what they’ve seen now.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Jonathan To Open ₦15B SABMiller Brewery Plant In Onitsha / Nigeria’s Foreign Reserves Hit $47 Billion - Surpass That Of South Africa by $4b / FG Agrees To Slash Fuel Price By ₦5

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.