Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,768 members, 7,813,548 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:45 PM

Landmark Property Will Be Intact, No Job Will Be Lost — Umahi - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Landmark Property Will Be Intact, No Job Will Be Lost — Umahi (17545 Views)

Sand Filling Commences On Portions Of Landmark Beach Resort / Lagos To Demolish Landmark Beach Resort For Coastal Road / Major Landmark Rocks In Nigeria (Pictures And Details) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Landmark Property Will Be Intact, No Job Will Be Lost — Umahi by Morbeta11(m): 1:51pm On Apr 11

Landmark property will be intact, no job will be lost — Umahi

The Minister of Works, David Umahi said the Landmark Beach Resort property will not be demolished in the cause of the 700-kilometer coastal road project intended to connect Lagos State with Calabar.

Umahi disclosed this in an interview on Arise Television on Wednesday.

The minister also said no jobs will be lost due to the Lagos-Calabar coastal road project.

He said, “I was at Landmark yesterday to see what was going on. Despite claims that 12,000 jobs will be lost, I told Landmark that no jobs will be lost by what we’re doing.

“What could be lost is the shoreline and the people that go to play at the shoreline. His facilities will be intact because we reduced the corridor by 50 metres.

“I saw that there’s no permanent structure other than a few shanties along the shoreline that are affected. I told him that no job would be lost, and he agreed with me,” he said.

The minister further stated, “Who owns the land is not supposed to be my problem, but the Federal Government (FG), by the Waterways Act and the recent Supreme Court judgement, gave the right of ownership of the shoreline to FG. 250 metres from the point of the shoreline, which means it belongs to FG.

“However, we’re interested here because it’s an investment, and we’re happy with it. We are taking 50 metres of that shoreline, and it’s irrevocable. I also told him if he’s interested in the waterways, he should create one on top.”

Recall that the Lagos State Government had issued a notice of demolition of the $200 Landmark Beach Resort, saying the property obstructs the planned route of the 700-kilometer coastal road project.

The proprietor of Landamark Beach Resort, Paul Onwuanibe, in an interview with CNN, said he was given a notice to vacate his multimillion-dollar beach resort within seven days for its impending demolition.

According to him, the Landmark property accommodates more than 80 businesses and sustains over 4,000 jobs directly.

He added that the company claims it contributes more than N2 billion in taxes each year.

The beach resort, regarded as one of the top tier tourism spots in Nigeria, received about a million local and foreign visitors last year.

Onwuanibe explained he purchased the land in 2007, well before the coastal highway plans were formulated, and was left with mixed feelings after the demolition notice arrived, also prompting him to claim compensation.

Recall that in March, the Federal Government started constructing the 700-kilometer Lagos – Calabar Coastal Highway, designed to extend through 9 states with two spurs leading to the Northern States.

Umahi, disclosed this during the official handover of the first phase, which includes a 47.47-kilometer dual carriageway, to Hitech Construction Company Ltd.

Umahi said the road would be built using concrete pavement.

He added that since the Federal Government awarded the contract, Hitech Construction Company Limited has made significant progress, completing 1.3 kilometres of the required filling.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2024/04/landmark-property-will-be-intact-no-job-will-be-lost-umahi/#google_vignette

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Landmark Property Will Be Intact, No Job Will Be Lost — Umahi by slivertongue: 2:00pm On Apr 11
talk talk

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Landmark Property Will Be Intact, No Job Will Be Lost — Umahi by Ttipsy(f): 2:07pm On Apr 11
It’s not fair to render people jobless

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Landmark Property Will Be Intact, No Job Will Be Lost — Umahi by BUSINESSARENAA(m): 2:11pm On Apr 11
oko
Re: Landmark Property Will Be Intact, No Job Will Be Lost — Umahi by richiemcgold: 2:11pm On Apr 11

The project continues.
There is no demolition and no jobs would be lost.
Case closed!
Enemies of Nigeria can shut up their mouths 🤫🤫🤫

77 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Landmark Property Will Be Intact, No Job Will Be Lost — Umahi by illicit(m): 2:21pm On Apr 11
Jagaban

💪

18 Likes

Re: Landmark Property Will Be Intact, No Job Will Be Lost — Umahi by LegendHero(m): 2:25pm On Apr 11
Tsefini. Umahi don talk am.

From Umahi statement self, the FG have right to 250m from the shoreline.

“What could be lost is the shoreline and the people that go to play at the shoreline. His facilities will be intact because we reduced the corridor by 50 metres.

“I saw that there’s no permanent structure other than a few shanties along the shoreline that are affected. I told him that no job would be lost, and he agreed with me,” he said.

The minister further stated, “Who owns the land is not supposed to be my problem, but the Federal Government (FG), by the Waterways Act and the recent Supreme Court judgement, gave the right of ownership of the shoreline to FG. 250 metres from the point of the shoreline, which means it belongs to FG.

“However, we’re interested here because it’s an investment, and we’re happy with it. We are taking 50 metres of that shoreline, and it’s irrevocable. I also told him if he’s interested in the waterways, he should create one on top.”

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Landmark Property Will Be Intact, No Job Will Be Lost — Umahi by SpatialKing(m): 2:27pm On Apr 11
Shame on those wicked soul the insisted it should be destroyed

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Landmark Property Will Be Intact, No Job Will Be Lost — Umahi by LegendHero(m): 2:28pm On Apr 11
SpatialKing:
Shame on those wicked soul the insisted it should be destroyed

No rather it is the children of perdition that can’t read that should be ashamed.

Umahi said nothing new. Even in the letter sent by the Lagos state government showed that it is 50m that is needed from it.

People just emotionally blow it out of proportion. There was never a time where they said they would demolish all his property along that axis. If you have the proof, bring that.

55 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Landmark Property Will Be Intact, No Job Will Be Lost — Umahi by christejames(m): 2:28pm On Apr 11
Like I said in the earlier post, it was all a gimmick in the first place... Either from the rudderless govt or Landmark themselves! cool

4 Likes

Re: Landmark Property Will Be Intact, No Job Will Be Lost — Umahi by Ofunaofu: 2:28pm On Apr 11
richiemcgold:

The project continues.
There is no demolition and no jobs would be lost.
Case closed!
Enemies of Nigeria can shut up their mouths 🤫🤫🤫

They are no imaginary enemy. You are the enemy because you rejoice when you heard that it was going to be demolished

The other enemy are some overzealous Lagos state government workers who had issued a notice of demolition of the $200 Landmark Beach Resort, saying the property obstructs the planned route of the 700-kilometer coastal road project followed by a notice to vacate the multimillion-dollar beach resort within seven days for its impending demolition.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Landmark Property Will Be Intact, No Job Will Be Lost — Umahi by PressMyButton: 2:29pm On Apr 11
From the previous thread, i knew everything about Landmark was exaggerated, all the figures were exaggerated to cury public sympathy and blackmail the government. And that seems to be the tool of our neigbours from across the other side. The project will go on and Landmark would no longer have direct acess to the beach.

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Landmark Property Will Be Intact, No Job Will Be Lost — Umahi by LegendHero(m): 2:31pm On Apr 11
PressMyButton:
From the previous thread, i knew everything about Landmark was exaggerated, all the figures were exaggerated to cury public sympathy and blackmail the government. And that seems to be the tool of our neigbours from across the other side. The project will go on and Landmark would no longer have direct acess to the beach.

100% correct.

It’s just all emotional blackmail they are known for. Nothing is different even from this Umahi statement. The 50m will still be used from the place and that is the exact same thing that was said before.

33 Likes

Re: Landmark Property Will Be Intact, No Job Will Be Lost — Umahi by Ofunaofu: 2:32pm On Apr 11
LegendHero:

No rather it is the children of perdition that can’t read that should be ashamed.

Are you saying that it's the children of perdition that issued a notice of demolition of the $200 Landmark Beach Resort, saying the property obstructs the planned route of the 700-kilometer coastal road project. Not just that, also a notice to vacate the multimillion-dollar beach resort within seven days for its impending demolition.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Landmark Property Will Be Intact, No Job Will Be Lost — Umahi by vowiski(m): 2:33pm On Apr 11
LGSG hates igbo

If Fashola or Wike was the works minister, Landmark would go down

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Landmark Property Will Be Intact, No Job Will Be Lost — Umahi by LegendHero(m): 2:34pm On Apr 11
Ofunaofu:

Are you saying that it's the children of perdition issued a notice of demolition of the $200 Landmark Beach Resort, saying the property obstructs the planned route of the 700-kilometer coastal road project. Not just that, also a notice to vacate his multimillion-dollar beach resort within seven days for its impending demolition.

Show us the demolition notice where the they mentioned in it that they would demolish all his property.

I am waiting.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Landmark Property Will Be Intact, No Job Will Be Lost — Umahi by SpatialKing(m): 2:34pm On Apr 11
LegendHero:

Umahi said nothing new. Even in the letter sent by the Lagos state government showed that it is 50m that is needed from it.

People just emotionally blow it out of proportion. There was never a time where they said they would demolish all his property along that axis. If you have the proof, bring that.

I clearly understand what you are saying..

But some of these people literally said it should be destroyed for the road...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Landmark Property Will Be Intact, No Job Will Be Lost — Umahi by Ofunaofu: 2:35pm On Apr 11
LegendHero:

Show us the demolition notice where the they mentioned in it that they would demolish all his property.

I am waiting.

Are you implying that the landmark resort owner lied on an international media house like CNN

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Landmark Property Will Be Intact, No Job Will Be Lost — Umahi by SalamRushdie: 2:36pm On Apr 11
Better
Re: Landmark Property Will Be Intact, No Job Will Be Lost — Umahi by LegendHero(m): 2:36pm On Apr 11
SpatialKing:

I clearly understand what you are saying..

But some of these people literally said it should be destroyed for the road...

I don’t think anybody said so. People are just agitated about this constant everyday emotional blackmail. Which was why they said if the property did obstruct the chances of that Coastal highway, then it had to go.

This is the letter that was sent to another person with property along that route. You can see that FG only intend 50m from there and 100m when it gets to Lekki area.

This same letter will be sent to Landmark.

16 Likes

Re: Landmark Property Will Be Intact, No Job Will Be Lost — Umahi by LegendHero(m): 2:39pm On Apr 11
Ofunaofu:

Are you implying that the landmark resort owner lied on an international media house like CNN

He did not lie, but he laced his talk with little propaganda.

Let me give you an example.

If I have a property of 250m, and the government come and say “I need to use 50m” from this, which of the below statement is true.

—Oh government want to demolish my property
—Oh government want to demolish “part” of my property.

So landmark used the first one.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Landmark Property Will Be Intact, No Job Will Be Lost — Umahi by PressMyButton: 2:43pm On Apr 11
Ofunaofu:

Yes, he lied and that's victim crying, that's your modus operandi. A lot of businesses from Lagos to Calabar will be affected along the shoreline but the guy quickly ran to CNN to victim cry as if he was targetted. He hasn't even met with the Minister before playing the victim.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Landmark Property Will Be Intact, No Job Will Be Lost — Umahi by PressMyButton: 2:52pm On Apr 11
LegendHero:

100% correct.

It’s just all emotional blackmail they are known for. Nothing is different even from this Umahi statement. The 50m will still be used from the place and that is the exact same thing that was said before.

According to Umahi, "I saw that there's no permanent structure other than a few shanties along the shoreline that are affected".
I guess the shanties along the shoreline are part of the $200million evaluation of Landmark.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Landmark Property Will Be Intact, No Job Will Be Lost — Umahi by Ofunaofu: 2:55pm On Apr 11
LegendHero:

He did not lie, but he laced his talk with little propaganda.

Let me give you an example.

If I have a property of 250m, and the government come and say “I need to use 50m” from this, which of the below statement is true.

—Oh government want to demolish my property
—Oh government want to demolish “part” of my property.

So landmark used the first one.

But you never questioned the veracity of that news when you made the below statements on that thread, so what changed.

Whether part or entire, it's still his property

LegendHero:
That corridor will be open to massive investment and real estate will spring across close to the water body.

LegendHero:

The road is worth more than the resort.

Think of the larger picture. Imagine the number of investment that will spring up across those coastal lines from Lagos to the South-South where it will terminate.

Just think about the massive real estate investment. On normal non-water areas, when you have new roads built, it aid investment and real estate. Now you’re thinking about houses closer to the coast. It will bring more of those beaches investment across board and not only in Lagos alone.

This is the letter sent to landmark beach, they only require 50m of the facilities for the right of way. Not like the government is demolishing everything. Mind you, they ain’t the only one, there are some other investments impacted.

2 Likes

Re: Landmark Property Will Be Intact, No Job Will Be Lost — Umahi by LegendHero(m): 3:04pm On Apr 11
Ofunaofu:

But you never questioned the veracity of that news when you made the below statements on that thread, so what changed.

Whether part or entire, it's still his property

Bro check my last sentence on the post you quoted. I even posted the letter there.

Thats to tell you I know what I’m saying from the start. It’s nothing different from what Umahi just said.

is the letter sent to landmark beach, they only require 50m of the facilities for the right of way. Not like the government is demolishing everything. Mind you, they ain’t the only one, there are some other investments impacted.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Landmark Property Will Be Intact, No Job Will Be Lost — Umahi by Artscollection: 4:26pm On Apr 11
Most idiots masturbating and spewing their hateful bile out has never been to landmark but they are already downgrading it's worth and those idiots that issued that demolition notice should be watched, it is possible they acted without involving the decision makers.

3 Likes

Re: Landmark Property Will Be Intact, No Job Will Be Lost — Umahi by chigoziri2403(m): 4:57pm On Apr 11
Terms and conditions have been updated
Re: Landmark Property Will Be Intact, No Job Will Be Lost — Umahi by sofeo(m): 4:57pm On Apr 11
Alright.

1 Like

Re: Landmark Property Will Be Intact, No Job Will Be Lost — Umahi by santaclaws: 4:57pm On Apr 11
That would be better.
Re: Landmark Property Will Be Intact, No Job Will Be Lost — Umahi by Penguin2: 4:58pm On Apr 11
I said it that Paul Onwasibe’s saving grace in this whole saga would be Umahi.

If it was an Agbado that is Minister of Works, that establishment would have been bulldozed.

They can be wicked like that. But thank God for God.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Landmark Property Will Be Intact, No Job Will Be Lost — Umahi by adekanmbi1986(m): 4:59pm On Apr 11
Ok
Re: Landmark Property Will Be Intact, No Job Will Be Lost — Umahi by Dittodat: 4:59pm On Apr 11
Good.

I was reading yesterday that his property is not affected.
Yes, he bought the land on which he built the structure, but he was never sold the shoreline because the shoreline always belonged to the govt. He simply took advantage of the shoreline which is ok as long as the govt doesn't need it.
I have visited the establishment a couple of times and it's a very good thing that he did.
The govt should try as much as possible to leave the establishment alone as much as possible. I have nothing but respect for the man for having the foresight and courage to invest so much time, energy, and money into such a project.

I'm also very glad that the minister is from the SE, so there will be fewer assumptions and rumors about govt intentions.

7 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Military Plane Crashes In Algeria, 200 People Dead / Relocating To Texas / Lagos-Ibadan Train Schedule For The Festive Period (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.