Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,802 members, 7,813,636 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:27 PM

Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones (18584 Views)

Ayam Cemani: The Most Expensive Chicken In The World - All Black (Video) / Man Buys Frozen Meat That Was Produced 15th Of March (Photo) / The World’s Most Expensive Wedding Cake Was Made In Dubai(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by Revolva(m): 10:53am On Apr 13
Useless country where the chamber of commerce dont work in regulating prices all they do is sit in office and receive salaries

Nigeria is a disgrace to himanity

3 Likes

Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by Tobijah2: 10:54am On Apr 13
A cup of local rice sold for 320, it's not funny ooo.

1 Like

Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by Emeskhalifa(m): 10:55am On Apr 13
victorclean:
Gbam. Very foolish middle men causing hardship. FG out of pity banned importation for Nigerian farmers to enjoy, but their greed for money lead to increase in price above imported foods despite not paying import duties.

Nigeria middle men should be examine.

Are you a farmer? How many hectares u dey farm? Una dey talk asif there is adequate security for farmers.
Do you all read news of how farmers are being attacked in their farms and k**led?

Fix the issue of security and a lot of people will dive into farming right now

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by Allthelight: 10:57am On Apr 13
Why not the government can continue decieving themselves.. They believe stopping import will help

2 Likes

Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by alimiadedayo1: 11:00am On Apr 13
Jokerman:
- Did petrol price reduce?

- Did security in farmland reduce?

- Did tax and tariff collectors reduce thier price from the market people and farmers?

- Did electricity price reduce?

- Are workers not going to request for increase in Salary?
Don't mind those yeye people saying rubbish instead of them to say the absolute truth they will sha find a way to pervert it and find someone to blame

1 Like

Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by Ladiesdoctor(m): 11:02am On Apr 13
Buhari scam
Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by ogub(m): 11:03am On Apr 13
wittywriter:

Nigeria's food hike solution will come when Nigerians decide to take agriculture as a norm.
Normal normal I make sure I plant yearly even if it's third party planting and harvesting process.
If you have funds that you can invest in agriculture for personal consumption then make sure to...thank me later.

Wittyness
you are very correct 💯
Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by Confirm4real(m): 11:03am On Apr 13
One of the effects of Emilokan cheesy
Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by foxxydude: 11:05am On Apr 13
Farm labor is high
Bad roads High
Transport costs. High
Diesel price high
Insecurity high
Rural to urban drift high
Pesticides and herbicides cost high

Equals to high cost of food

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by pretydiva(f): 11:05am On Apr 13
Apparently, the rise in dollar had no effect in the price of local food commodities.

If the problem of insecurity, and Fulani herdsmen killing farmers and destroying their farm produce can be brought to its barest minimum. Just maybe things might eventually go back to normal

Aside these factors stated above, sometimes na we dey do ourselves for this country. We are our own enemy

3 Likes

Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by DIVINEEVIDENCE: 11:06am On Apr 13
wittywriter:

Nigeria's food hike solution will come when Nigerians decide to take agriculture as a norm.
Normal normal I make sure I plant yearly even if it's third party planting and harvesting process.
If you have funds that you can invest in agriculture for personal consumption then make sure to...thank me later.

Wittyness

Bandit dey greet you Oga.

1 Like

Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by Akwamkpuruamu: 11:06am On Apr 13
wittywriter:

Wittyness

Not everyone will be a farmer. in the USA, less than 10% are farmers and they feed their nation while here is the reverse, yet food scarcity

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by Crafteck1: 11:07am On Apr 13
wittywriter:

Wittyness

Agriculture will be a Norm if security becomes a norm

1 Like

Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by hisgrace090: 11:08am On Apr 13
MuslimIgbo:
Nothing but greed.

Imagine beans more expensive than rice. See price of common garri now..

Nigerians are GREEDY

Extremely greedy!!!

3 Likes

Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by Electrochemistry(m): 11:08am On Apr 13
This is not unconnected to bandits, Boko guys and fulani herdsmen chasing farmers away from their farms.

Creating a secured Nigerian community is an invaluable asset.

Insecurity is affecting us in ways we never imagined:

...Investors will not come to be kidnapped
...farmers will not farm for fear of the unknown
...northern farmers driven by bandits now in a record number constituting nuisance in the south
...the attendant food inflation is the reason warehouses are not safe anymore

And so on.

1 Like

Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by victorclean(f): 11:10am On Apr 13
Emeskhalifa:

Are you a farmer? How many hectares u dey farm? Una dey talk asif there is adequate security for farmers.
Do you all read news of how farmers are being attacked in their farms and k**led?

Fix the issue of security and a lot of people will dive into farming right now

Well your statements showed that you don't understand what a middle man is.

Middle man is the people that buy farm products very cheap from producers(farmers) and make far more profit than the farmers.

Most farmers don't have what we call route to the market and it's contingencies.

Middle men also hijacked BDC making naira dollars exchange to skyrocket
Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by Angelfrost(m): 11:10am On Apr 13
God bless you Op...!

This is what I observed since.

How can local rice be dragging price with the ones imported with foreign currency?!!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by Villa12(m): 11:11am On Apr 13
victorclean:

The Agric minister is still asleep. Not yet a problem to the rich people. NIGERIA will definitely act when it affect the rich as well just as it they are fighting dollars
food cannot affect the rich. That's why they're rich. It's only the poor masses that will suffer for it.
Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by victorclean(f): 11:12am On Apr 13
Villa12:
food cannot affect the rich. That's why they're rich. It's only the poor masses that will suffer for it.

Until then, there is nothing we can do
Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by OtuologyProf(m): 11:13am On Apr 13
People wey dey my village dey see food pass people wey dey town.
Person go get house and lands for village come go town dey pay useless bills.
Otu gbowakwa lack of common sense

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by DIVINEEVIDENCE: 11:14am On Apr 13
For dustbin those days na so so leftover food and vegetables dem dey troway full am.

Nigerians been no sabi say na paradise dem dey.

From Sai baba to emilokan, APC done turn bad situation into a rotten one.

Elections have consequences.

Mekuna enjoy.

Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by Allisgud: 11:15am On Apr 13
Abeg nothing come down,apart from noodles which come down partially,paint of rice is still 7k,let it come back to the 4k buhari left it.it is possible

1 Like

Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by Bizibi(m): 11:16am On Apr 13
wittywriter:

Read to comprehend...there's no award for hasty mentions...

Wittyness
I was thinking hard about venturing into agric some days because I have a ten hectare land in my hometown and I noticed the gap in the sector but creating a system that will work for everyone looks like a challenge.
Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by mecuries(m): 11:19am On Apr 13
The dollar increment has always been an excuse... Nigerians love to rip off the next person

5 Likes

Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by aidoko1: 11:19am On Apr 13
Na today you know?
It has been like so even before Buhari came into office. A local rice plus stone one mudu used to sell for 250 then foreign rice without stone sells for 400.
Technically it has been like that
Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by obotematics: 11:20am On Apr 13
The small businesses suffer imagine those producing milled grains. The cost of grains, packaging,milling production has gone up.There should be a holistic approach reduce taxation, improve power,make grains available, encourage local production,give out grants and subsidies Through your agencies like smedan,seed council ,stop showing pictures of entrepreneurship training here and there,using b@nks to device us promising loans with high interest rates. Mbok am tayad
Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by chiefolododo(m): 11:20am On Apr 13
The great TINUBULATION
Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by bentenny(m): 11:21am On Apr 13
Yea....it's a no-brainer!
Doing it local doesn't necessitate products being cheap if there is
1. Little or no electricity
2. Insecurity
3. High transport cost
4. Multiplicity of taxes

Once these issues are not tackled,local producers will resort to alternative power,provide their own security and all these will be inputted in their production cost which will inflate prices eventually!
Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by NGArmyTerrorist: 11:21am On Apr 13
Let the govt remove huge taxes on imported goods and allow these greedy local animals to die in high bp. Because they meant and their mission is to kill. Apc pdp, and Lp people how market? Biafra is still my religion..
Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by fitinwell: 11:21am On Apr 13
HeatSeeker:

https://nairametrics.com/2024/04/12/locally-produced-foods-now-more-expensive-than-imported-once-nairametrics-survey/

It's no longer Dollar excuses again.. it's now insecurity... Make una continue dey play us.
Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by MOGPman(m): 11:23am On Apr 13
HeatSeeker:

https://nairametrics.com/2024/04/12/locally-produced-foods-now-more-expensive-than-imported-once-nairametrics-survey/

Me no dey enter market again o! As a grade A bachelor, I'm better off settling down for a plate of food worth N600 every morning and evening!!

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

91.1% Of Tomato Pastes In Nigeria Are Fake / Lagos Bans Use Of Motorbikes,air Cooling Vans For Meat Transportation / Price Of Bread Set To Rise As Bakers Lament High Cost Of Ingredients

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.