Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,784 members, 7,813,595 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:37 PM

Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones (18582 Views)

Ayam Cemani: The Most Expensive Chicken In The World - All Black (Video) / Man Buys Frozen Meat That Was Produced 15th Of March (Photo) / The World’s Most Expensive Wedding Cake Was Made In Dubai(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by Brushstrokes20: 11:24am On Apr 13
Look no further...
It's # the shyyythole reloaded! 💯💯💯💯
#the more you look, the less you see ✅

1 Like

Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by Bbbwings: 11:26am On Apr 13
victorclean:

The Agric minister is still asleep. Not yet a problem to the rich people. NIGERIA will definitely act when it affect the rich, they will act, just as they are fighting dollars
Lol it will never affect the rich. They are rich in thr first place.
Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by enemyofprogress: 11:26am On Apr 13
It is true. Foodstuffs are no very expenses in Nigeria

Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by Evolutionism: 11:26am On Apr 13
RoyalBlu:
Na the garri own pain me pass.

From 2400 for a paint rubber to 3500. In just a couple of days.

You go to the market and you see people wandering up and down in a state of confusion.

Imagine!!!

The thing is i'm somehow certain the garri you are referring to here is the traditional garri. I mean the popular unsieved one Nigerians consume generally. There is always sands beneath this garri whenever you add water to it.

As for me, I don't consume those garri. I usually buy the sealed, sieved and well packaged ones from the Mall or Supermarket. It might be costly but it's really worth it.
Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by MOGPman(m): 11:29am On Apr 13
RoyalBlu:

You go to the market and you see people wandering up and down in a state of confusion.

Imagine, garri that used to be students' power before o, now it has become everybody's power
Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by Lomprico2: 11:30am On Apr 13
Thanks to buhari's bandits
Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by jasontrigga(m): 11:34am On Apr 13
Most Nigerians are naturally wicked and greedy
Everybody want to take advantage of everything

1 Like

Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by GenFunction: 11:35am On Apr 13
I come frm a country where we have 60% of uncultivated arable land,the remaining 40% kuma wey dem dey use plant,insurgency no let farmers enter bush,definately e go affect us...Naija which way na?
Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by tollyboy5(m): 11:38am On Apr 13
RoyalBlu:

The garri own is pure greed.
We plant cassava here in the south
Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by GenFunction: 11:38am On Apr 13
Emeskhalifa:

Are you a farmer? How many hectares u dey farm? Una dey talk asif there is adequate security for farmers.
Do you all read news of how farmers are being attacked in their farms and k**led?

Fix the issue of security and a lot of people will dive into farming right now
Sharp,This is a key factor u jus explained.
Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by Panda7(m): 11:40am On Apr 13
The mean question should be 'how many of these farms are owned by the government'? In the developed world, agriculture are solely handled by the government and big private investors
Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by vanitybutiwanti: 11:40am On Apr 13
There's nothing like a good Nigerian, majority are thieves and opportunist

1 Like

Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by tctrills: 11:40am On Apr 13
wittywriter:

Nigeria's food hike solution will come when Nigerians decide to take agriculture as a norm.
Normal normal I make sure I plant yearly even if it's third party planting and harvesting process.
If you have funds that you can invest in agriculture for personal consumption then make sure to...thank me later.

Read to comprehend...there's no award for hasty mentions...

Ability to comprehend is a rare trait..you have it though...stay blessed.

Start an Agric community... If you need help to facilitate your Agric goal(s) then drop your contact I'll link you for further actions.

Wittyness
Nigeria has more farmers than the US and the EU combined. We already take farming as a norm.
The only problem is that we voted in bastard and bloodsuckers.
Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by Judolisco(m): 11:41am On Apr 13
inoki247:
Lol No be Nigeria imagine make Dollar dey affect Garri....

Rice is coming down Garii no gri come down even if na 100naira...

Naso dem lock border den say make we dey eat stone rice say mak we buy local people start to buy local e come dey cost pass Foreign....
d people wey dey sell garri go buy rice as well... Shey u grab...if dem no increase price dem no go fit buy anything.... Make government reduce fuel price... Na d major cause bdat

2 Likes

Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by BscHolder: 11:41am On Apr 13
DIVINEEVIDENCE:
For dustbin those days na so so leftover food and vegetables dem dey troway full am.

Nigerians been no sabi say na paradise dem dey.

From Sai baba to emilokan, APC done turn bad situation into a rotten one.

Elections have consequences.

Mekuna enjoy.
the most painful part is that people are still supporting this evil government

2 Likes

Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by tollyboy5(m): 11:42am On Apr 13
Jokerman:
- Did petrol price reduce?

- Did security in farmland reduce?

- Did tax and tariff collectors reduce thier price from the market people and farmers?

- Did electricity price reduce?

- Are workers not going to request for increase in Salary?
Guy petrol price did not increase
We plant garri here more in the south, there no security issues.
The tax and tariff has been constant.
Electricity price is constant, not all Nigerians are on band A.
Those on band A get what they pay for.
Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by Cantonese: 11:46am On Apr 13
Arjeeni:
This is very true.

Take for instance, the locally processed rice just in average N55k.

The foreign rice is now N48k in my place.

Where is your area please? Maybe we can get there to purchase imported rice.

2 Likes

Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by BscHolder: 11:47am On Apr 13
enemyofprogress:
It is true. Foodstuffs are no very expenses in Nigeria
e don teh you no login with BABANGBALI account
Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by zionstaar75: 11:47am On Apr 13
BscHolder:
then what is FG doing to curb the excesses of middlemen, they'll blame high cost of transportation
this is the last year things will be like this. Niger state has cleared over 1 million hectares. I'm not guessing I have a friend who owns 2 tractors working there. You will see how food will be surplus next year

2 Likes

Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by BscHolder: 11:53am On Apr 13
zionstaar75:
this is the last year things will be like this. Niger state has cleared over 1 million hectares. I'm not guessing I have a friend who owns 2 tractors working there. You will see how food will be surplus next year
Same way Tinubu says things will fall back to normalcy by next year.
https://www.nairaland.com/8059998/tinubu-promises-economic-turnaround-december
I pray hunger doesn't finish people before then.
Btw has your friend alongside Niger state govt settle and tackle banditry issues so farming will be a safe haven?

2 Likes

Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by Tzar(m): 11:55am On Apr 13
This is just because most Nigerians are outrageously evil & wicked. Yet they demand the quality of life that good and morally upright people deserve…. what an irony!

1 Like

Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by Scarcity234: 11:56am On Apr 13
Tinubu is to be blamed for it all.
His actions and decisions caused the ripple effect we're feeling now.

1 Like

Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by inoki247: 12:05pm On Apr 13
Judolisco:
d people wey dey sell garri go buy rice as well... Shey u grab...if dem no increase price dem no go fit buy anything.... Make government reduce fuel price... Na d major cause bdat

Buh the same rice is coming down so what's there Excuse....

They're no more blaming Fuel Price but Dollar....

Or Rice wey dey come down the Govt reduce fuel price....
Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by ggood: 12:09pm On Apr 13
BscHolder:
brotherly as it stands so I am so heartbroken.
I went to the market and came back shattered.
Garri now is 5 cups for 1,000 naira
Garri use to be 17 cups for 100 Naiara that was 2004

1 Like

Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by Otamendi99(m): 12:09pm On Apr 13
Emeskhalifa:

Are you a farmer? How many hectares u dey farm? Una dey talk asif there is adequate security for farmers.
Do you all read news of how farmers are being attacked in their farms and k**led?

Fix the issue of security and a lot of people will dive into farming right now

Na security make price of mango weh dey close to me to increase. 3 mangoes for 500naira. Haba

3 Likes

Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by bigl: 12:16pm On Apr 13
Another issue that is not being address is that the chinese are exporting our food to their country.... This is not "demsay or hearsay" .... i actually had something to do with one of those companies and noticed a lot of trucks parking with rice, beans, etc ... food brought is tested "to a certain standard" .... if passed, they empty the truck .... it will be exported to china ...

So food wey no reach us, is now being exported ...

HeatSeeker:

https://nairametrics.com/2024/04/12/locally-produced-foods-now-more-expensive-than-imported-once-nairametrics-survey/
Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by JoeEeL(m): 12:17pm On Apr 13
RoyalBlu:

Should nigerians be pitied?

Nope
Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by JoeEeL(m): 12:18pm On Apr 13
BscHolder:
oh you also noticed it too?
I've observed people in the market, most way so confused, and worse of those sellers seem heartless like they don't give a damn..
I wanted cooking stew last weekend, made a list and withdrew 5k, Omo when I came to the market and saw the drastic increment in food prices I had to withdraw again cos the initial money didn't reach, I was just at one spot buried in thoughts

People like u go still mock Nnamdi Kanu for prison say make he dey eat beans.
Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by nedekid: 12:19pm On Apr 13
wittywriter:

Nigeria's food hike solution will come when Nigerians decide to take agriculture as a norm.
Normal normal I make sure I plant yearly even if it's third party planting and harvesting process.
If you have funds that you can invest in agriculture for personal consumption then make sure to...thank me later.

Read to comprehend...there's no award for hasty mentions...

Ability to comprehend is a rare trait..you have it though...stay blessed.

Start an Agric community... If you need help to facilitate your Agric goal(s) then drop your contact I'll link you for further actions.

Wittyness
Seems you skipped the part when they spoke of insecurity, extortion and thousands of tax collectors on the road, increasing cost of transportation ie diesel price.
Farmers are being ruined daily, you want people to go put their money inside. As I will always say, if you have space in your backyard or empty plot of land you are not using, go into peasant, pleasure farming. But as a young man, you take your saving, inheritance, loans etc to go into farming as a source of sustainance, means of primary income, Omo, you will age beyond your years. I have seen guy in his late 30s look like a shriveled 55 year old. It almost happened to me too, thank god I got myself out of the bondage.
Certain kind if business's you leave for old retired people or people that their families have done it for generations.
My personal opinion though. Hands are not equal, it could work for you, although I never saw anyone I knew it worked for. Lol

1 Like

Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by ArcSEMPECJ(m): 12:20pm On Apr 13
MuslimIgbo:
Nothing but greed.

Imagine beans more expensive than rice. See price of common garri now..

Nigerians are GREEDY

Nigerians are not greedy, when a country runs a porous Government, where nothing is regulated, the market structure changes with the desires of few mischievous people....

Federal Govt is still sleeping on this issue....no market regulated prices, no task force to make sure they are implemented and no Subsidy to cushion any effect...

There is no Government in Nigeria, you will only see Government when you oppose a d attack their laziness to work...

1 Like

Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by HNICEARTH: 12:21pm On Apr 13
What do you expect? when the task master keeps imposing and increasing levies, tariffs and taxes, with no commiserate increase in productivity and output. No subsidies on production!
Just undiluted irrational extortion

1 Like

Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by kmaster007: 12:28pm On Apr 13
That is when I confront one seller. Una go dey shout dollar dollar but dollar dey com down now nah different story I dey here...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

91.1% Of Tomato Pastes In Nigeria Are Fake / Lagos Bans Use Of Motorbikes,air Cooling Vans For Meat Transportation / Price Of Bread Set To Rise As Bakers Lament High Cost Of Ingredients

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.