Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,801 members, 7,813,636 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:26 PM

Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones (18583 Views)

Ayam Cemani: The Most Expensive Chicken In The World - All Black (Video) / Man Buys Frozen Meat That Was Produced 15th Of March (Photo) / The World’s Most Expensive Wedding Cake Was Made In Dubai(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by dfrost: 12:29pm On Apr 13
BscHolder:
oh you also noticed it too?
I've observed people in the market, most way so confused, and worse of those sellers seem heartless like they don't give a damn..
I wanted cooking stew last weekend, made a list and withdrew 5k, Omo when I came to the market and saw the drastic increment in food prices I had to withdraw again cos the initial money didn't reach, I was just at one spot buried in thoughts

Bros no kill me abeg 😂🥴🤓
Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by NinjaMetahuman: 12:34pm On Apr 13
Thats why you don't ban importation in a country without price control.

If importation is allowed, they will have to either compete with international price.
Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by Johnpat198: 12:36pm On Apr 13
Our leaders course all this problem we are facing no protest on skyrocketing of price, our government don't set agent force to monitor price control, everybody buy and sell what he or she likes, what a woefully country
Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by tnerro1(m): 12:37pm On Apr 13
Kilo of meat that was 5k last week is now 6k this week, even the suya seller has increased prices. So why should Nigerians be happy that dollars has come down when it has no impact in their lives

Open the damn borders for food to come in even if for a fixed period to bring down prices

1 Like

Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by GodHimself: 12:38pm On Apr 13
How does 3rd party farming work pls
wittywriter:

Nigeria's food hike solution will come when Nigerians decide to take agriculture as a norm.
Normal normal I make sure I plant yearly even if it's third party planting and harvesting process.
If you have funds that you can invest in agriculture for personal consumption then make sure to...thank me later.

Read to comprehend...there's no award for hasty mentions...

Ability to comprehend is a rare trait..you have it though...stay blessed.

Start an Agric community... If you need help to facilitate your Agric goal(s) then drop your contact I'll link you for further actions.

Wittyness
Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by Mandate1: 12:39pm On Apr 13
wittywriter:

Nigeria's food hike solution will come when Nigerians decide to take agriculture as a norm.
Normal normal I make sure I plant yearly even if it's third party planting and harvesting process.
If you have funds that you can invest in agriculture for personal consumption then make sure to...thank me later.

Start an Agric community... If you need help to facilitate your Agric goal(s) then drop your contact I'll link you for further actions.

Wittyness
every Nigerian mustn't go into agriculture before Nigeria will have food. Agriculture has gone beyond the 18th century approach Nigeria is adopting. In USA, less than 5% of her population are into agriculture and yet feeds the entire nation accompanied with surplus for export.

My question remains, why are our multi billionaires not venturing into agriculture? They have the money to establish large plantations but won't do so. Giving small loans to farmers will never produce enough to feed the nation. The rich billionaires in Nigeria should go into mechanised agriculture. This is where govt must come in. Encourage investors to go into the agriculture value chain with little or no tax at all.

3 Likes

Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by Mandate1: 12:45pm On Apr 13
BscHolder:
then what is FG doing to curb the excesses of middlemen, they'll blame high cost of transportation
don't we have middlemen before Tinubu became president? Price of fuel, price of diesel, cooking gas all av a direct and indirect impact on the final cost of goods and services in the market.
Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by neoG(f): 12:52pm On Apr 13
This is the one I can't seem to wrap my head around. How can I buy a small yam 2.5k for one tuber and 3.5k for one big tuber. I left it and went for sweet potatoes. I am not a fan of both yam and sweet potatoes at all. I just buy it cos most times I need to as having food varieties
BABAawoo47:
Yam is now #2500 per tuber... grin grin
Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by Mandate1: 12:54pm On Apr 13
Akwamkpuruamu:

Not everyone will be a farmer. in the USA, less than 10% are farmers and they feed their nation while here is the reverse, yet food scarcity
don't mind the dude. Dem go just dey shout Nigerians should go into agriculture like say if everyone go into agriculture, who will do the other jobs left behind. In saner climes, less than 10% of their population are into mechanised agriculture and they are food sufficient, yet export in large quantity.

Every billionaire in Nigeria is into oil. You'll neva hear any of them in the agro-allied sector. This is where the govt should give tax reliefs to divest more billionaires into the agro value chain. What is the govt doing to encourage companies into food processing to backward integrate by investing massively into agriculture? A country with little or no seriousness to make inroads.
Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by Styluss: 12:56pm On Apr 13
what is this one talking about? was there an agric community in JGEJ era when 1 cup of garri cost 20 naira?

wittywriter:

Wittyness
Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by Styluss: 12:57pm On Apr 13
Well, middle men has been in existence since time immemorial, its a business and a source of livelihood for some people. Are you saying that there are no middle me during Jonathan era when things was considerably affordable?

victorclean:
Gbam. Very foolish middle men causing hardship. FG out of pity banned importation for Nigerian farmers to enjoy, but their greed for money lead to increase in price above imported foods despite not paying import duties.

Nigeria middle men should be examine.
Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by CodeTemplar: 1:15pm On Apr 13
Nigerians are very greedy. That's why you have to negotiate for everything. Pepper, tomato, onion, seasoning cubes and even beaf.

1 Like

Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by Growing(m): 1:22pm On Apr 13
How can locally produced goods cost more than imported goods? This is clearly price gouging.

I am now on the side of those who want to see the borders opened for virtually everything. Let local goods compete with foreign goods freely.

This attempt of trying to support local producers has dealt a deadly blow on Nigerians and I don't want to hear anything about it again.

Open the borders.
Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by abbiboy: 1:24pm On Apr 13
A simple analogy so long insecurity is not curtail and farmers can't go to farm expect the worst of months ahead.
Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by RoyalBlu(f): 1:28pm On Apr 13
tollyboy5:

The garri own is pure greed.
We plant cassava here in the south

I tell you! It's nothing but greed.
Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by Redman44(m): 1:29pm On Apr 13
One mango is now 100 naira. Should it be so? Fruits are getting more expensive. Please, plant friots in your house. As you are building your house, don't cement the floor of the compound . Plant Pawpaw, Banana, Mangoes , Oranges in your compound. Seedlings don't cost much. When the trees mature, you can make money every season on each fruit by selling to people in church and in your area .Think deeply. Plant sweet guava, tangerine etc. Fruits will keep getting expensive. Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by Azazyel: 1:31pm On Apr 13
MuslimIgbo:
Nothing but greed.

Imagine beans more expensive than rice. See price of common garri now..

Nigerians are GREEDY

Nigerians are too wicked. if government allows importation and reduce import tax, it would ease the pain of people. I just hope it won't stunt the naira growth. That's my fear
Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by RoyalBlu(f): 1:33pm On Apr 13
Evolutionism:

Imagine!!!

The thing is i'm somehow certain the garri you are referring to here is the traditional garri. I mean the popular unsieved one Nigerians consume generally. There is always sands beneath this garri whenever you add water to it.

As for me, I don't consume those garri. I usually buy the sealed, sieved and well packaged ones from the Mall or Supermarket. It might be costly but it's really worth it.

Rich kid doings. ✌️

But it's really disheartening how inconsiderate and greedy these traders have become.

1 Like

Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by Redman44(m): 1:35pm On Apr 13
If you have unused plots of land, do some farming on them. Subsistence farming is a form of exercise. Rain has started falling. Find an aboki that can make mounds for you. Plant maize, cassava, pepper and vegetables. You can make money with a plot of Cassava and Maize. Get very good seeds. Cheers .
Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by sprints1: 2:00pm On Apr 13
psucc:
Even satchet beverages has added at least 50naira to the original cost.
to buttress your point sir this is what we are facing at the moment
Milo(20g) satchet 150
Peak satchet 200
Peak tin 750
Tea top cafe 200
Cadbury 300
Bread 800 rubbish quality
Premium bread 1200 -1600 depend on quality
Sapagetti -900 -1k
Semolina - 5k for 2.5kg Auntie B na 4k
Wheat 2.5kg - 6k
Vegetable oil 5 litre - 12500k
Soya oil - 14k
Now Locally produced
Yam (6 tuber) cheap zone 14000
. expensive zone like akure and Lagos 17 - 20k
Rice short grain 5500-6k
Rice long grain 6500-7500k
Garri ijebu - 6500 -7500k
Carri normal custard rubber - 4500k
Beans white - 5500k
Beans drum - 6000
Beans oloyin -7k
Palm oil local 5 litre - 8k

Na the rubbish I dey spend money on top be that wey I no dey progress for life... I no put upkeep stuffs even extract soap wey fake na full market na 2500k

3 Likes

Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by LeyeWrites: 2:01pm On Apr 13
RoyalBlu:
Na the garri own pain me pass.

From 2400 for a paint rubber to 3500. In just a couple of days.

You go to the market and you see people wandering up and down in a state of confusion.

That's sad. It's still 1200 here. Used to be 350
Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by RoyalBlu(f): 2:16pm On Apr 13
LeyeWrites:
That's sad. It's still 1200 here. Used to be 350

You see?

1200 What's the location please

1 Like

Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by Medici777: 2:26pm On Apr 13
Huh? Locally produced food has been more expensive for years
Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by funkemary(f): 2:34pm On Apr 13
This is nothing but greed and Nigerian are our own enemy. If you buy a product a week earlier then go back to purchase that product the price will surprise you. I think the government should bring up price control scheme to control some traders
Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by Father4all: 2:58pm On Apr 13
Point of correction. Rice is now 63,000. I keep saying it, we Nigerians are very wicked we are our own problems. Aber Government should open the border let's other foreign African food be coming in like Ghana garri ETC
Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by DMerciful(m): 3:09pm On Apr 13
The way you guys cut APC slacks is appalling. You never treated the PDP this way even though they were 10 times better than APC
victorclean:
Gbam. Very foolish middle men causing hardship. FG out of pity banned importation for Nigerian farmers to enjoy, but their greed for money lead to increase in price above imported foods despite not paying import duties.

Nigeria middle men should be examine.
Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by LeyeWrites: 3:25pm On Apr 13
RoyalBlu:

You see?

1200 What's the location please
Iju...in Ondo State.
Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by Acidosis(m): 3:27pm On Apr 13
Everyone will vote thieves and greedy leaders, and suddenly expect the common man to live a life of uprightness and holiness. Funny people.
Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by lorhema(f): 3:33pm On Apr 13
zionstaar75:
this is the last year things will be like this. Niger state has cleared over 1 million hectares. I'm not guessing I have a friend who owns 2 tractors working there. You will see how food will be surplus next year

By God's grace.
We plan but He brings things to pass.
Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by banku: 4:09pm On Apr 13
This is how Nigerians pass the faults on others, leaders and the other guys.

Accept that most of you as individuals are even worse and more corrupt. This one is ready to blame Nigerians greediness on votes!

Acidosis:

Everyone will vote thieves and greedy leaders, and suddenly expect the common man to live a life of uprightness and holiness. Funny people.

Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by Acidosis(m): 4:24pm On Apr 13
banku:
This is how Nigerians pass the faults on others, leaders and the other guys.

Accept that most of you as individuals are even worse and more corrupt. This one is ready to blame Nigerians greediness on votes!

Lion dey born goat for your village?? 🤣🤣

One Minister like that budgeted about 10 billion per kilometre of road and you think say you go get peace and fairness from retailers?

1 Like

Re: Locally-produced Foods Now More Expensive Than Imported Ones by banku: 5:18pm On Apr 13
Right, lion nor dey born goat. They come from within. You papa go do worse if dem give you chance.

People dey tok about individual greed, dis one wan divert attention to votes.

Ndi iberiberi

Acidosis:

Lion dey born goat for your village?? 🤣🤣

One Minister like that budgeted about 10 billion per kilometre of road and you think say you go get peace and fairness from retailers?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

91.1% Of Tomato Pastes In Nigeria Are Fake / Lagos Bans Use Of Motorbikes,air Cooling Vans For Meat Transportation / Price Of Bread Set To Rise As Bakers Lament High Cost Of Ingredients

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.