Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,622 members, 7,827,329 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:38 AM

What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? (44295 Views)

The Only Type Of Nigerian Who Will Enjoy The Japa Lifestyle Of The West / The Japa After The Japa / Nigerian Youths And The ‘Japa’ Syndrome, By Fredrick Nwabufo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by IbeOkehie: 12:44pm On Apr 28
headboyprince:
mtcheew see this one. who earns $750 in toronto even beggers earn above that. you're comparing bank manager salary to a less than beggers salary. a city where teachers in toronto easily pocket $5k plus other employement benefits.

Chai...so bank branch managers earn less than $400/month in Nigeria? I'm assuming this is retail/consumer banking like First Bank, Access Bank and such. I actually suspected it was this low which is why I've always been wondering what the big deal is about a bank manager in Nigeria. But people argue so much I started doubting my own experience. Wow!!!

By the way I looked up some data and there's about 4500 commercial bank branches in Nigeria. Just so we know.

https://techpoint.africa/2023/07/12/banks-with-the-most-branches-in-nigeria/#:~:text=Nigeria%

Very few bank managers, that's why they're highly regarded. Remember PwC data shows 0.4% of Nigerian adults earn over ₦200K/month!!!

Better to migrate and restart as security guard or cook in US/UK abeg if one can't get an equivalent job in banking. Wow, hair braider in USA can make that money with just one customer and remit the money to Nigeria!!!!

Now my understanding is even deeper. No wonder demand for migration is so high. God Bless the King biko, God Bless USA , may we always work hard to uphold the good systems and standards we've inherited from those who built these countries.

Good Luck to Nigerians.

2 Likes

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by ChybuzzDD(m): 12:46pm On Apr 28
highchief1:
baba abroad no easy o.yes good life guaranteed.the last property I had as a man was in 2016 before I left Nigeria.i built houses in Nigeria since I left na bill to bill here.

Are you not contradicting yourself here?

2 Likes

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by ChybuzzDD(m): 12:49pm On Apr 28
bigiyaro:
you don't see any difference between UK and naija? At least, if you nearly drowned and they brought you out of the water, you will be taken straight to a well equipped hospital in an ambulance while been resuscitated by professionals and not taken for rituals by the river, that my friend, is a huge milestone difference.

grin
Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by anonimi: 1:01pm On Apr 28
Princewill1:

Do you know what QUALITY of life mean?

How likely is it for you to encouter a crazy mass shooter in a PH shopping mall who enters the mall with heavy gun and spread people with bullets killing hundreds and goods worth millions destroyed as it occurs regularly in America (one of Nigeria's popular Japa destination).

To cite just one example o.

Did you say killing hundreds?

Did you say occurs regularly?

The looters we hail as personal leaders know why they are sending their children to America as well as other japa destinations despite your lame attempt at exaggeration.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Gerrard59(m): 1:27pm On Apr 28
tensazangetsu20:

Lol this used to be true those days but men it doesn't fly anymore. There are Nigerians who didn't even go to school who are working in big companies. I know people in tech who didn't have any degree and are working at places like Google and Facebook and these are Nigerians o. The world now is mostly about the skills and value you have to offer and not necessarily the school you went. Yes, going to a top school helps but how many Nigerians migrating are going to top schools.

Strong passport is good but strong passport without money is useless lol. My target for a strong passport is strictly based on economic activities and not necessarily travelling. There are people with these passports who can't travel cause they are broke. Sapa is a worldwide phenomenon. Economy is developed yes but no one is going to hand over anything to you. Believe me, you have to show and prove competence. There are people abroad in good countries who can't still get jobs but these time around you can't blame anyone like tunubu or phcn grin grin

I won't lie o, should MT read this post, he would be laughing saying, "I told you people". grin grin
Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by diamond68: 1:33pm On Apr 28
tensazangetsu20:

Honestly, it's just that Nigeria is a shithole and the country is getting worst everyday and Africa as a continent has zero prospects. If we even had latin America's level of growth and infrastructure, I will just stay back. I feel that aside the united States, there's really no country in the world better than Chile to me. Everything is here. Infrastructure is solid and if you are well skilled especially in tech, there's more than enough jobs here.
buenos amigos 🤔

1 Like

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by diamond68: 1:41pm On Apr 28
highchief1:
baba abroad no easy o.yes good life guaranteed.the last property I had as a man was in 2016 before I left Nigeria.i built houses in Nigeria since I left na bill to bill here.
uk ?
Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by diamond68: 1:42pm On Apr 28
Taku555:

Can I email you?
why ?
Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by sunsweet33: 1:42pm On Apr 28
femi4:
It's about working in your field. Square peg inside squre hole. Nothing beats working in your field

Well, that’s what the person is trying to explain to you, If they can see an OND holder who will start as an apprentice for like $4 and is up to date, they are not going to waste themselves on a full-blown graduate, or even worse, an immigrant with a completely different contextual knowledge.

taking another job nothing to feel bad about..it can be but for a while, it’s normally men who get so emotional about these things…didnt one of them stamp his own wife to death out of frustration yesterday…

Coming from Africa expecting to hit the ground as an engineer in these countries filled with 100 year old buildings and bridges is an act of folly.

It’s not as if they want to see us in their care home or children’s home or whatever.just that their people are not interested in it!

2 Likes

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by diamond68: 1:50pm On Apr 28
vickydevoka:

My brother has spent over 60 million. And he is still borrowing. He is in Nigeria and de wife is in the UK. Wife refused to come back bcus she will be jobless in Nigeria
tell him just fashy the wife and move on. 60 million ? The mumu could have bought 2 houses with that and then go to the British embassy and say I own two properties in Nigeria and show them title and tell them so he is not going anywhere but he wants to visit his wife. They would give him visa sharp sharp. And this way he can be living his life by visiting his wife 3 times a year and enjoying his 2 properties in naija. When she gets tired of paying bills over there, and believe me they all do evetually, she will return home to join him in naija. Mumu man waste 60 million

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Gerrard59(m): 1:50pm On Apr 28
Mindlog:

Ask Nigerians that did their Msc here in the UK, how many of their course mates were British?

Anyone here in the UK with a NVQ Level 3 Diploma (equivalent to OND) in Electrical and Electronic Engineering ·will get employed before a Nigerian who obtained Msc Electrical and Electronic Engineering.

Go to many factories and warehouses in the UK and see many Nigerian Msc graduates working as packers to earn their honest daily bread with Eastern Europeans whey no enter university for one day, as their supervisors and managers. ·

This life sef... lipsrsealed

5 Likes

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by seguno2: 1:54pm On Apr 28
Mindlog:

Ask Nigerians that did their Msc here in the UK, how many of their course mates were British?

Anyone here in the UK with a NVQ Level 3 Diploma (equivalent to OND) in Electrical and Electronic Engineering ·will get employed before a Nigerian who obtained Msc Electrical and Electronic Engineering.

Go to many factories and warehouses in the UK and see many Nigerian Msc graduates working as packers to earn their honest daily bread with Eastern Europeans whey no enter university for one day, as their supervisors and managers. ·

Is this what our selfishness has led us to?

What is stopping us from using our brains to make our own communities and country better, as Britons have done and Asians who were colonised by Britain

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by seguno2: 1:56pm On Apr 28
emmaodet:

Tbh, I am in-between.
I can't totally criticize those leaving nor call those staying back stupid.
Moving has it's merits and demerits just like staying back.
It is just for someone to weigh his options and know the pros and cons of their actions and ready to face it but generally, the advantage of going to western countries is -
1. Foreign certificate gives you better job with higher earnings.
2. Strong passport that won't make you to be wasting money on visas or delays or visa denial.
3. Their economy is so developed that you can virtually work in any sector and live a good life and can easily get a good job without connections or letters from kings/senator/governor/local government chairman just to get a decent job.

What is stopping you from getting the foreign certificate from here by studying on distance learning

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by diamond68: 2:03pm On Apr 28
Dyfynezz12:

Swears bro
I ain't trying US again from Nigeria after the struggles i had last year with them

Went to Carrington twice last year nd was denied after all the stress.

I use to tell my folks that US have blacklist Nigerians after I saw the rate of rejection there,those ppl 're just ripping Us cause they already know they 're not going to give the Visa
the carrington event. See the thing about the USA ? They love beautiful people. If you are very good looking they would give you the visa. Here is a story for you, this egbon went to study medicine in Russia. Very handsome guy with big Afro . He resemble Michael Jackson. Before the egbon enter the embassy Dey done deny like hundreds of people that week. The egbon was married to a Russian woman but no children so he used another persons halfcaste child’s picture and said it was his, to cut long story short, when the egbon enter the embassy for the interview oh boy dem just Dey joke with the egbon as dem see handsome man with oyinbo wife picture that he presented as his wife. Dem just Dey follow the bobo Dey gist about life and food and party’s etc etc. they did not ask him a single question about his visa application. After one hour of gisting and laughing dem say so how long do you want to stay in America for ? Egbon say just one month, dem say hold on, dem enter one room go stamp hin pali, dem nack the guy 2 year visa 👀👀👀👀👀👀👀. Na so my guy take japa.

2 Likes

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Mindlog: 2:07pm On Apr 28
Gerrard59:

This life sef... lipsrsealed

Sadly, that is the reality on ground.

I boldly say majority of Nigerians who came to the UK through the study route, chose the "wrongest" courses!

1 Like

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by diamond68: 2:08pm On Apr 28
tensazangetsu20:

Exactly. It's stupid. Honestly it's just that Africa has no prospects and Nigeria itself is very very hopeless especially with this stupid APC government but I will say migration is really overrated men. I can't imagine selling my house and stuff and suffering like how others are suffering for this grin grin grin
be like say hand done touch you for Chile 👀👀👀👀👀👀👀, a whole tensa finally coming to the conclusion that migration is overrated 🙆🏽‍♂️🙆🏽‍♂️🙆🏽‍♂️🙆🏽‍♂️

2 Likes

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by lastkingsman: 2:10pm On Apr 28
tensazangetsu20:

Honestly I can never advise a married man to migrate from Nigeria Sha grin. I am just glad I did the whole thing when I am single. If I was married with kids I don't even know how I will cope.

You for don dey do fish farming and beer parlour business with fish pepper soup assured grin
Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by lastkingsman: 2:12pm On Apr 28
vickydevoka:

My brother has spent over 60 million. And he is still borrowing. He is in Nigeria and de wife is in the UK. Wife refused to come back bcus she will be jobless in Nigeria

60 million Naira? How?
Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:14pm On Apr 28
diamond68:
be like say hand done touch you for Chile 👀👀👀👀👀👀👀, a whole tensa finally coming to the conclusion that migration is overrated 🙆🏽‍♂️🙆🏽‍♂️🙆🏽‍♂️🙆🏽‍♂️

Lol I actually love Chile and I have had a whole lot of opportunities here but the thing is it didn't cost me a lot to come here so even if It didn't work out I will have no regrets but selling ones property and such to venture to an unknown destination isn't a wise decision to be honest

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Itsrm(m): 2:15pm On Apr 28
IbeOkehie:

Chai...so bank branch managers earn less than $400/month in Nigeria? I'm assuming this is retail/consumer banking like First Bank, Access Bank and such. I actually suspected it was this low which is why I've always been wondering what the big deal is about a bank manager in Nigeria. But people argue so much I started doubting my own experience. Wow!!!

Clowns

Even an ABO earns more than $400 monthly.

Whatever makes you guys happy though.

2 Likes

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by diamond68: 2:28pm On Apr 28
tensazangetsu20:

Lol I actually love Chile and I have had a whole lot of opportunities here but the thing is it didn't cost me a lot to come here so even if It didn't work out I will have no regrets but selling ones property and such to venture to an unknown destination isn't a wise decision to be honest
but in the past when strong men were advising against selling your property to japa you were one of the ones calling them haters and that there is no hope in naija. But today after a year in Chile you say japa is overrated and don’t sell your properties. God is good 🙆🏽‍♂️🙆🏽‍♂️🙆🏽‍♂️🙆🏽‍♂️

1 Like

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:32pm On Apr 28
diamond68:
but in the past when strong men were advising against selling your property to japa you were one of the ones calling them haters and that there is no hope in naija. But today after a year in Chile you say japa is overrated and don’t sell your properties. God is good 🙆🏽‍♂️🙆🏽‍♂️🙆🏽‍♂️🙆🏽‍♂️

Well I wont advise it. Better off searching for fresh funds. Also, one thing people should realize is no where in the world is easy. Imagine people in the UK seeking asylum in Ireland. Students in Canada seeking asylum. Asylum claims will take years to process which your life is in limbo and you will get denied 99 percent of the time and deported. Years of ones life wasted.

7 Likes

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by highchief1: 2:39pm On Apr 28
diamond68:
uk ?
canada
Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by OdogwuAnambra: 2:40pm On Apr 28
He has a gateman/security guard at home. His children go to a private school—dropped off and picked up by a dedicated driver or the parents.

In the West, this person could only be a millionaire footballer, a millionaire music star or a millionaire in a certain field. Even top politicians cannot easily have this enviable life.

Back in Africa or Asia, this person could be any ordinary person who has figured out his life or a person slightly flourishing in business or working in a well-paid job.

Therefore, if you intend to relocate to the West, you should ask yourself—am I going to heavily compromise on my lifestyle and how long can I entertain or sacrifice the life I’ve known.

As an expert UK immigration lawyer, I always argue that if you intend to relocate to the UK—you should critically evaluate what you are giving up and what you plan to achieve. Just don’t jump because everyone is jumping.

More importantly, if you are 40 years and above, you must double-think about relocation—especially the intended outcome. And the level of lifestyle cuts you are ready to accommodate to achieve that outcome.

I’ve heard many stories of people who had house helps back home and relocated to the UK or Canada with their 3 or 4 children (without these house helps)—only to realize that they cannot afford the level of support they had back home and have found themselves in serious problems (depression, regret and painful adjustments).

The absurd adage, “no pain no gain” may be true. But sometimes, you don’t have to re-live a pain which you have already lived somewhere.

We all have one life and if you’ve managed to find a comfortable footing or lifestyle in a certain country, don’t just uproot yourself to go and start afresh somewhere else to suffer. What if you die 2 years after relocation while still in your struggling stage?

How many of us are willing to go back to secondary school and University (for about 5 years) all again—even if it means we will get slightly increased pay?

The thing is, if you are 19 years old or 22 years old, you can easily relocate, adjust and take the pains of relocation with ease. But if you are 40 years old with some level of comfort or roots in your home country, relocation wouldn’t be that easy.

Life is a daring adventure. But always think twice and consider many things, including even the effect of the cold weather on you as an older person. It shouldn’t all be about the money—it should be about the total “lifestyle” awaiting you.

You should even ...

https://techandbiz.com.ng/2024/04/28/when-you-have-to-re-think-about-relocation-to-a-western-country/

3 Likes

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Gerrard59(m): 2:40pm On Apr 28
Mindlog:

Sadly, that is the reality on ground.

I boldly say majority of Nigerians who came to the UK through the study route, chose the "wrongest" courses!

Is it the same person who did MSc in Finance at Huddersfield? Because you mentioned MBA this time. And if the person is different, which university did this MBA dude study at?
Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Gerrard59(m): 2:42pm On Apr 28
diamond68:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

I won't lie, our saving grace is that we are single and did not borrow. If not eh shocked shocked

4 Likes

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by diamond68: 2:46pm On Apr 28
tensazangetsu20:

Well I wont advise it. Better off searching for fresh funds. Also, one thing people should realize is no where in the world is easy. Imagine people in the UK seeking asylum in Ireland. Students in Canada seeking asylum. Asylum claims will take years to process which your life is in limbo and you will get denied 99 percent of the time and deported. Years of ones life wasted.
well I see and acknowledge your growth as a man. I have been reading your posts and you have changed a lot. Being in Chile has opened up your mind and all your delusions are gone and you have now seen the reality of the world and it is coming out in all your posts. We like this new tensa. The old tensa would say if I get second passport I done become rich man, or sell your house and japa ooooo naija done cast, or japa is everything, or life abroad is everything. But just in this thread alone you have said japa is overrated and a second passport is useless if you are broke, and don’t sell your house and abroad is very difficult but a different kind of difficult.

You said all these things. I acknowledge your growth. No more delusions.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:48pm On Apr 28
diamond68:
well I see and acknowledge your growth as a man. I have been reading your posts and you have changed a lot. Being in Chile has opened up your mind and all your delusions are gone and you have now seen the reality of the world and it is coming out in all your posts. We like this new tensa. The old tensa would say if I get second passport I done become rich man, or sell your house and japa ooooo naija done cast, or japa is everything, or life abroad is everything. But just in this thread alone you have said japa is overrated and a second passport is useless if you are broke, and don’t sell your house and abroad is very difficult but a different kind of difficult.

You said all these things. I acknowledge your growth. No more delusions.

Oh definitely. See the opportunities are here in Chile but the kind of work I did in the past few months is more than the kind of work I did in the past 3 years in Nigeria. It's not a joke. Anyone who isn't ready should not even start it

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by diamond68: 2:49pm On Apr 28
Gerrard59:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

I won't lie, our saving grace is that we are single and did not borrow. If not eh shocked shocked
😄😄😄😄😄😄 it’s true. That hand go touch you anywhere you run to. Na God na hin Dey give grace, location no Dey give grace
Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by diamond68: 2:53pm On Apr 28
tensazangetsu20:

Oh definitely. See the opportunities are here in Chile but the kind of work I did in the past few months is more than the kind of work I did in the past 3 years in Nigeria. It's not a joke. Anyone who isn't ready should not even start it
na factory work ? You Dey lift cement with venezuelans and Mexicans 👀👀😄😄

1 Like

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Princewill1(m): 2:55pm On Apr 28
anonimi:

Did you say killing hundreds?

Did you say occurs regularly?

The looters we hail as personal leaders know why they are sending their children to America as well as other japa destinations despite your lame attempt at exaggeration.

1st Question: Did you say killing hundreds?
ANSWER: Yes! Hundred were killed. Last year alone, there were 754 deaths from 604 mass shootings in the US. In first quarter of 2024 which ended March 31, there were 208 deaths resulting from 125 mass shootings.

2nd Question: Did you say occurs regularly?
ANSWER: Yes it occurs regularly, if it was 125 mass shooting for the first 3 months of the year, by now a month later, it will be over 200 mass shootings, approximately 11 mass shootings per week. So it's even over regular.

Finally you called the facts I presented "lame attempt at exaggeration".

But according to media report 4 persons were killed in the Port-harcourt tanker explosion while you exaggerated it by saying hundreds were killed.

So the joke is on you!

4 Likes

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:58pm On Apr 28
diamond68:
na factory work ? You Dey lift cement with venezuelans and Mexicans 👀👀😄😄

Na tech work. Interviews here are also so much more difficult and takes a while to get used to. If I count the number of recruiter calls before I got an offer is more than 200.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Nigerian Man Collapses, Dies On A Flight From Dubai To Luwanda. Do You Know Him? / FG Plans 10 New Rail Lines (list Of The Rail Lines) / Cost Of Living In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.