Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,222 members, 7,829,369 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:22 AM

What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? - Travel (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? (44395 Views)

The Only Type Of Nigerian Who Will Enjoy The Japa Lifestyle Of The West / The Japa After The Japa / Nigerian Youths And The ‘Japa’ Syndrome, By Fredrick Nwabufo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by descarado: 11:14am On Apr 29
Vision101:

Nothing new. It happens all over the world. A technician no matter what he knows is not an engineer.

An accounting technician is not a chartered accountant.

Na manage for an msc holder to be doing care job. They have small small certifications to make it look like a profession. Why their people no dey do the job?

Some of us understand the UK inside out.
And you think their people don't do these jobs?
We sit down in our room and wickedly judge others.
Develop your country so people will start migrating to it.
belle people everywhere.
Poverty of the mind, pocket and envy abi jealousy makes a naija man not live up to 60yrs on average
Na stat talk am
Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by descarado: 11:23am On Apr 29
Mindlog:

I have a friend who did his Masters in Construction Management here in the UK and has been doing care jobs since graduation, he said he is going back to studies part time , to do both NVQ 2 and NVQ 3 in electrical installation that his Polish housemate who had never entered a university before, is earning way much higher than him as an electrician and boiler maintenance man.
The problem with our guys is that fantasy than reality they travel with. Then again they look down on some professions as beneath them. I have seen guys who do well as social worker. As a matter if fact, black social workers are in high demand cos the authority will prefer to send them to black homes. But, that is beneath some of them.
Psychology is a no no. Nursing is for ladies.
Roadside mechanics makes more than some executives but it is also beneath them.
What about truck drivers. Or is it rail work of all kind.
Everybody want to work in IT and be a Dr.
Iffa I hear.

Some are very smart and switched over. There are do many untapped opportunities if they will put their ego aside.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Mindlog: 1:43pm On Apr 29
descarado:

The problem with our guys is that fantasy than reality they travel with. Then again they look down on some professions as beneath them. I have seen guys who do well as social worker. As a matter if fact, black social workers are in high demand cos the authority will prefer to send them to black homes. But, that is beneath some of them.
Iffa I hear.

Some are very smart and switched over. There are do many untapped opportunities if they will put their ego aside.

No mind them, reason I don't feel any empathy for most of our people with such mindset.
Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Vision101(m): 1:45pm On Apr 29
descarado:

And you think their people don't do these jobs?
We sit down in our room and wickedly judge others.
belle people everywhere.
Poverty of the mind, pocket and envy abi jealousy makes a naija man not live up to 60yrs on average
Na stat talk am
Hahaha...... You sit down and assume that anyone that condemns these things hasn't had experience. Some of us here have either had the experience, is having the experience or have direct blood relations that are having these experiences.

The truth is that menial jobs are predominantly for immigrants. Very few of their nationals pick them.
Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by descarado: 1:47pm On Apr 29
Vision101:

Hahaha...... You sit down and assume that anyone that condemns these things hasn't had experience. Some of us here have either had the experience, is having the experience or have direct blood relations that are having these experiences.

The truth is that menial jobs are predominantly for immigrants. Very few of their nationals pick them.
Bro u gat no experience.
Scratch that.
Experience ko
Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by tshtsh: 1:53pm On Apr 29
IbeOkehie:

Well, if you have dependents in Nigeria and you remit them Chilean pesos, guess what? You're sending naira for those dependents to spend. This is so clear it requires little explanation.

So I don't understand this mantra of "earning abroad isn't spending naira". The fact is that all money is fungible. What really matters is how easy is it to earn money wherever you are

I have a cousin age 27 who migrated to UK last year, graduated from Unizik, no job for years.
Yes he works in a factory in UK and sends money to his mother and siblings. Are you telling me the garri his mother buys in the market is not bought with naira?

You do know there's MANY Nigerian men that live and work in the USA and UK but their wives and children are in Nigeria?

A pharmacist friend of mine just arrived here from Nigeria. I've known this man since maybe 2010. Every year he comes to the USA in April and leaves in October and maybe one or two other trips. He works for a temp agency, covering for American workers who go on spring and summer holidays. As far as I know that is his major income and his family lives in Nigeria. He earns dollars and spends naira!

Guy please think about it. Like it or not, the fact TODAY is that $350 = ₦500K. See me trouble o...money is money and it's easier to earn it in some places than others.

It's not gonna be easy to earn monthly pay of $2K or ₦3 million in Nigeria. How and in what industry or business🤔. I bet you it's not up to 0.1% of Nigerian adults earning that.

Good Luck to Nigeria.

Its relative. Personally living in Canada has really paid me and I will admit that. But I also acknowledge the challenges and sometimes wish I was able to earn much better in Nigeria without the need to be here. Aside from financial gains the knowledge gain or brain gain is also very valuable.

1 Like

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by tshtsh: 1:56pm On Apr 29
Gerrard59:

Shey na wetin I bin dey preach since?? People think it is by earning so-called 1 million in naira equivalent every month without considering the actual spending power of their earnings in the country they reside in. Ultimately, na why I dey emphasise that people should have fewer children and plan their lives accordingly. No dey born born up and down.
Most people I know in Nigeria don't plan. In fact the politicians with humongous resources seem to even plan better than the average Nigerian with limited resources
Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by maternal: 6:29pm On Apr 29
emmaodet:

You still don't get it.
It is relative.
I can keep dividing it till it gets smaller then maybe you will get the big picture.
While it is true that only a fraction of Nigerians can get a 3m per month job, then let's go further down.
A man earning $1000 in Nigeria is better than $3000 in Toronto.
Still very hard to get a $1000 job in Nigeria.
A man earning $500 in Nigeria is better than a man earning $1500 in Toronto.
Now, $500 job is not uncommon in Nigeria in some sectors.
Let's go further down.
A man earning $250 in Nigeria roughly 400k will live a better life than a man earning $750 in Toronto.
Infact from $1,500 downward in Toronto, you live will start becoming miserable but you can't say the equivalent in Nigeria.

Not true at all. What people forget is that these deveoped countries are stable, and their taxes pay for the essential things. Nigeria that's not the case. If you've lived in a developed country, everything you're saying is comical. No disrespect
Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by maternal: 6:36pm On Apr 29
borie4u:
See I keep telling people that if U like let someone deceive U that Japa is bad. There is no where they will give U money on the street of UK but if U are hardworking and don't mind any job for starting U will break even. It may be rough at the beginning but it will get better. The greatest regret I ever had is believing Nigeria will get better and wasting large part of my life that things will work out. Left in my late 30s (39 years to be precise) and I now appreciate quality life. Can I ever stay in Nigeria again? I pray not. Is Japa worth it ? Big yes as I am a living testimony

I don't know how people put a value on quality of life. What's the point of having money with a horrible quality of life ?

1 Like

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by festyflash(m): 11:08pm On Apr 29
So, I've been trying to consume some materials so as to aid me writing a good personal statement, I wouldn't mind if you have any one you've written in time past or a template for inspiration and guidelines I can use to tailor mine.

Can we reach ourselves through other media like email ?

Mindlog:

Sure, always ask your questions.
Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Cousin9999: 11:38pm On Apr 29
descarado:

People from south, west, and east Asia migrate to Nigeria every day. While some people ignore how comparatively easy it is to start a successful business in the country, foreigners don't.

3 Likes

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Cousin9999: 11:39pm On Apr 29
maternal:

I don't know how people put a value on quality of life. What's the point of having money with a horrible quality of life ?

Quality of life is a bit subjective.
Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Cousin9999: 12:00am On Apr 30
descarado:

The problem with our guys is that fantasy than reality they travel with. Then again they look down on some professions as beneath them.

Some people are in fact "snobs" about certain professions. However, many people avoid certain jobs not because they think it's beneath them, but because they don't want to do something that's guaranteed to give them back, knee, and heart problems, and put them in dangerous situations while not paying very much or giving them job security.

I have seen guys who do well as social worker. As a matter if fact, black social workers are in high demand cos the authority will prefer to send them to black homes. But, that is beneath some of them.

No specific race of social worker is in demand. They'll gladly take anyone because while social work is an excellent career that anyone would be proud of, it has strong drawbacks:

-Social workers confront some of the most difficult ills of society. And they go into all the gory details. Even many people who think they can handle it have to walk away.

-Social workers often have to walk into dangerous situations, and unlike a cop, they have no backup or firearm.

-Despite everything social workers endure, most aren't paid very well.

Psychology is a no no.

These jobs tend to be poorly paid, and hard on mental health.

Certain trade jobs only pay well because no one wants to do them, and also because trades have strong nepotism, racism, and sexism that creates artificial shortages. The industries also prefer to use dirt cheap illegal labor as much as possible over skilled professionals. No one wants these jobs because for a long time these positions didn't offer decent pay and steady work. Furthermore, these positions do a lot of damage to the body and put people at high risk of injury.

2 Likes

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by MsOnyi24(f): 11:32am On Apr 30
descarado:

Iffa I hear.

You will see some grown ass men with no atom of humanity in them studying to be a nurse or midwife.
What happened to manly jobs - they cannot do it but they want to clean bum and give injections.
A profession their fellow Nigerian women have reduced to worthless.
Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Lastbornbuns: 12:02pm On Apr 30
emmaodet:

You still don't get it.
It is relative.
I can keep dividing it till it gets smaller then maybe you will get the big picture.
While it is true that only a fraction of Nigerians can get a 3m per month job, then let's go further down.
A man earning $1000 in Nigeria is better than $3000 in Toronto.
Still very hard to get a $1000 job in Nigeria.
A man earning $500 in Nigeria is better than a man earning $1500 in Toronto.
Now, $500 job is not uncommon in Nigeria in some sectors.
Let's go further down.
A man earning $250 in Nigeria roughly 400k will live a better life than a man earning $750 in Toronto.
Infact from $1,500 downward in Toronto, you live will start becoming miserable but you can't say the equivalent in Nigeria.
Please don't do this type of comparison again. In a country that more than 50% are living below poverty line, how can you say 400k jobs are common? Minimum wage in Toronto is 16.55 CAD while in Nigeria, its 30k Naira. Most private SMEs dont even pay up to this amount. That you're earning 400k in either you're in top tier finance/tech/health. How common is that? Someone that's earning 750Cad per month in Toronto is either working part time because that's like 1 week's worth of wages.

Abeg abeg. Don't do this again. Now that 1 litre of fuel is 1k and bag of rice is more than 2x Minimum wage?? You can't compare the top earners in one country to the bottom earners in another country.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Alusiizizi(m): 4:58pm On Apr 30
lastkingsman:

Which 60% tax rate? I don't understand.

For every pound that you earn, the government takes away 60 pence, leaving you with 40 pence
Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by headboyprince(m): 5:50pm On Apr 30
anamo:

Lol. Whatever rocks your story sha
stop fooling yourself and others with misinformation, it says USA. and anyone can add a salary there on that page. grin
Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by headboyprince(m): 5:53pm On Apr 30
Alusiizizi:

For every pound that you earn, the government takes away 60 pence, leaving you with 40 pence
lies. 60% for just tax. lol
Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Alusiizizi(m): 11:10pm On Apr 30
headboyprince:
lies. 60% for just tax. lol

Why don't you travel there and see for yourself, or ask anyone that resides there.
Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by headboyprince(m): 6:19am On May 01
Alusiizizi:

Why don't you travel there and see for yourself, or ask anyone that resides there.
lol I know lots of friends that live abroad and have never seen such. So why not you provide evidence of the 60% tax
Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Lastbornbuns: 7:24am On May 01
Alusiizizi:

Nawa. The highest tax band in UK is 45% so where's this 60% from?

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by lastkingsman: 12:39pm On May 01
Alusiizizi:

Quote your reference/source
Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by headboyprince(m): 1:25pm On May 01
Lastbornbuns:

Nawa. The highest tax band in UK is 45% so where's this 60% from?
tax is dependent on how much you earn. the more you earn the more tax you pay. someone earning minimum wage per hour pay almost nothing. but they wont say this.

1 Like

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by EmekusTHEgreat(m): 1:17pm On May 02
IbeOkehie:

Chai...so bank branch managers earn less than $400/month in Nigeria? I'm assuming this is retail/consumer banking like First Bank, Access Bank and such. I actually suspected it was this low which is why I've always been wondering what the big deal is about a bank manager in Nigeria. But people argue so much I started doubting my own experience. Wow!!!

By the way I looked up some data and there's about 4500 commercial bank branches in Nigeria. Just so we know.

https://techpoint.africa/2023/07/12/banks-with-the-most-branches-in-nigeria/#:~:text=Nigeria%

Very few bank managers, that's why they're highly regarded. Remember PwC data shows 0.4% of Nigerian adults earn over ₦200K/month!!!

Better to migrate and restart as security guard or cook in US/UK abeg if one can't get an equivalent job in banking. Wow, hair braider in USA can make that money with just one customer and remit the money to Nigeria!!!!

Now my understanding is even deeper. No wonder demand for migration is so high. God Bless the King biko, God Bless USA , may we always work hard to uphold the good systems and standards we've inherited from those who built these countries.

Good Luck to Nigerians.

Lols. Entry Level folks (EA, ET & SEA) in banks earn 350k-420k depending on the bank they work in.

Managers earn depending on their grade the bank. To be eligible for a manager position in most banks you’d need to be at least a B.O. that’s two levels ahead of SEA/ET/EA

Bo’s earn upwards of 650k to 800k depending on bank and other performance metrics.

For LEVELS IN MOST BANKS ARE AS FOLLOWS:

EA/ET/SEA - (Senior) Executive Assistant/trainee
ABO- assistant banking officer
BO - banking officer
SBO Senior banking officer
AM - Assistant manager
DM- Deputy Manager
M- Manager
AGM- Assistant. General manager
GM- General manager

You don’t have to become a Manager in grade to become a branch manager.

A branch manager is a responsibility while a Manager is a grade, in rare cases one can become a branch manager while being an ABO/SEA
Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Ajibade123(m): 5:33pm On May 03
tensazangetsu20:

Oh definitely. See the opportunities are here in Chile but the kind of work I did in the past few months is more than the kind of work I did in the past 3 years in Nigeria. It's not a joke. Anyone who isn't ready should not even start it
Congratulations bro
What were the kind of work you did in the past few months?
Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by tensazangetsu20(m): 5:36pm On May 03
Ajibade123:

Congratulations bro
What were the kind of work you did in the past few months?

I did some assistance work in an English teaching school and UberEATS.

1 Like

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by BenkingEng(m): 7:17am On May 06
qtguru:
People are still leaving, for now it's mostly those who have remote jobs or expatriates, because we have a Malta group and everytime there's always a new Nigerian joining the nomad group.

Pls how can I join the Malta group
Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by qtguru(m): 7:57am On May 06
BenkingEng:

Pls how can I join the Malta group

Are you in Malta or relocating, the requirement is that you have to be in Malta or in the process of relocating but regardless google David and Cynthia Malta, there's a link on their medium article.
Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Zammy123(m): 9:23pm On May 07
Mindlog:

To have a higher chance of getting the 5 years skilled worker visa after studies, an accredited Msc Psychology (conversion) for those who don't have an undergraduate degree in psychology) will increase your chances as there is huge demand for professionals in the mental health field.....this is my field here in the UK.

Please if you do not mind me asking, this 5 years skilled worker visa, can someone bring in family with it immediately?
Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by RodgersAkpafu: 9:10pm On May 08
MsOnyi24:

You will see some grown ass men with no atom of humanity in them studying to be a nurse or midwife.
What happened to manly jobs - they cannot do it but they want to clean bum and give injections.
A profession their fellow Nigerian women have reduced to worthless.

what's wrong with you village people fgs?

a man decided to go into the nursing profession
what's wrong with it ?

is it not a legal job?
are we not in the 21st century?
why una dey reason like this
Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Xpeerence(m): 11:47pm On May 08
Japa crew how's the preparation going?
Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by hammed71(m): 6:11am On May 11
You dey mind am? Lol
Dyfynezz12:

Lol,that was grace it had nothing to do with his physical appearance.
Btw how can u spend one hour gisting with the consular,aren't there ppl behind u?

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Hawker Falls Off A Bridge In Lagos After Being Hit By A Danfo Bus. Photos / Thread On "World Class Bus Terminals" / Female UNIZIK Graduate Dies From An Accident - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.