Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,544 members, 7,827,036 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:18 AM

What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? (44286 Views)

The Only Type Of Nigerian Who Will Enjoy The Japa Lifestyle Of The West / The Japa After The Japa / Nigerian Youths And The ‘Japa’ Syndrome, By Fredrick Nwabufo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by diamond68: 3:02pm On Apr 28
tensazangetsu20:

Na tech work. Interviews here are also so much more difficult and takes a while to get used to. If I count the number of recruiter calls before I got an offer is more than 200.
wow. E go better bro. Everywhere tough. It’s the planet. The aliens have turned up the heat on we humans. No where is left out. Everyone globally is feeling the heat . It’s better for a man to find a house and cash down for it and just hide inside from the worlds affliction. It’s renters that will suffer the most

2 Likes

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Love800(m): 3:08pm On Apr 28
What is this skilled workers program?
tshtsh:

Going to study abroad for the purpose of upskilling is great. Going to canada as a student without money is like hell. I studied in UK about 10 years ago when the exchange rate was about 270 and I had a very good time. The struggle I see students in canada go through is not worth it and very unfair of the country to offer such abysmal study experience to internation students who pay so much.
Canada has a skilled worker program (express entry) that makes it possible for highly skilled professionals to come into the country and employers tend to hire these candidates based on their skills and experiences. International students with no experience are usually not able to compete with these candidates in the job market and end up struggling. As for adult students who moved en mass in 2021-2023 only time will tell if the Canadian immigration system does not axe them
Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by tensazangetsu20(m): 3:20pm On Apr 28
diamond68:
wow. E go better bro. Everywhere tough. It’s the planet. The aliens have turned up the heat on we humans. No where is left out. Everyone globally is feeling the heat . It’s better for a man to find a house and cash down for it and just hide inside from the worlds affliction. It’s renters that will suffer the most

True the stories I hear from my friends in so many countries is extremely shocking. Aside the US, I am not interested in leaving Chile to anywhere else and that US sef na comma. It depends on how successful I can become here.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Sweetvie: 3:33pm On Apr 28
Interesting thread smiley

2 Likes

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Mindlog: 3:42pm On Apr 28
Gerrard59:

Is it the same person who did MSc in Finance at Huddersfield? Because you mentioned MBA this time. And if the person is different, which university did this MBA dude study at?

You still remember my Huddersfield guy? cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

This is a different guy, Coventry University and e sure me die that 70% that got enrolled into that University's MBA programs and Msc International Business Management between 2021 and early 2023 were Nigerians just as that University's Msc Global Health Management was the exclusive sure plug for Indian healthcare professionals: doctors, dentists, pharmacists, ophthalmologist etc to japa through student route, a course that was overpopulated as every 3 months, over a hundred of Indian healthcare professionals were trooping into Coventry for the course. Theirs makes sense as it was a transition route towards their professional accreditation to practice in the UK.

1 Like

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Gerrard59(m): 3:50pm On Apr 28
Mindlog:

You still remember my Huddersfield guy? cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

I do o. grin

Anytime I read certain tales, I am curious to know the beginning and the entire process. I am conversant with MBA and MSc studies' career paths, so I am very interested in the paths black Africans go on after their studies in the abroad.

This is a different guy, Coventry University and e sure me die that 70% that got enrolled into that University's MBA programs and Msc International Business Management between 2021 and early 2023 were Nigerians just as that University's Msc Global Health Management was the exclusive sure plug for Indian healthcare professionals: doctors, dentists, pharmacists, ophthalmologist etc to japa through student route, a course that was overpopulated as every 3 months, over a hundred of Indian healthcare professionals were trooping into Coventry for the course. Theirs makes sense as it was a transition route towards their professional accreditation to practice in the UK.

Well, Coventry University is not worth it, especially for an investment banker (are you sure he was an IBanker?) who wants to get an OK job in the UK. I understand the need for japa and all, but rather than an MBA from Coventry, an international certification like PMP, CFA, or even ACCA would have been better. I am really curious about the kind of deals or company(ies) he worked on/with as an IBanker while in Nigeria. Also, I can bet that Coventry University's MBA does not have GMAT as part of its entry requirements.

Medical courses are good regardless of the country. The Indians played a good game. British universities are making a killing in selling their overpriced higher education.

3 Likes

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by anonimi: 4:11pm On Apr 28
Princewill1:
1st Question: Did you say killing hundreds?
ANSWER: Yes! Hundred were killed. Last year alone, there were 754 deaths from 604 mass shootings in the US. In first quarter of 2024 which ended March 31, there were 208 deaths resulting from 125 mass shootings.

2nd Question: Did you say occurs regularly?
ANSWER: Yes it occurs regularly, if it was 125 mass shooting for the first 3 months of the year, by now a month later, it will be over 200 mass shootings, approximately 11 mass shootings per week. So it's even over regular.

Finally you called the facts I presented "lame attempt at exaggeration".

But according to media report 4 persons were killed in the Port-harcourt tanker explosion while you exaggerated it by saying hundreds were killed.

So the joke is on you!

Thanks for posting the updated number of deaths in the PH accident. The initial number was much higher.

You are however changing your narrative from the original post:

……..a crazy mass shooter in a PH shopping mall who enters the mall with heavy gun and spread people with bullets killing hundreds

You are yet to show proof of ONE mass shooter killing hundredS in THE mall.

1 Like

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by lastkingsman: 4:12pm On Apr 28
tensazangetsu20:

True the stories I hear from my friends in so many countries is extremely shocking. Aside the US, I am not interested in leaving Chile to anywhere else and that US sef na comma. It depends on how successful I can become here.

UK own go be the worst. Lol
Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:45pm On Apr 28
lastkingsman:

UK own go be the worst. Lol

Even when I didn't know anything about migration I never really fancied the UK.
Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by anamo: 5:08pm On Apr 28
emmaodet:

Tbh, I am in-between.
I can't totally criticize those leaving nor call those staying back stupid.
Moving has it's merits and demerits just like staying back.
It is just for someone to weigh his options and know the pros and cons of their actions and ready to face it but generally, the advantage of going to western countries is -
1. Foreign certificate gives you better job with higher earnings.
2. Strong passport that won't make you to be wasting money on visas or delays or visa denial.
3. Their economy is so developed that you can virtually work in any sector and live a good life and can easily get a good job without connections or letters from kings/senator/governor/local government chairman just to get a decent job.

Those 2 points above are good points of moving.
In my career, using a Nigerian certificate has really cost me a lot and slowed down my progress and I know and see my colleagues with foreign certificates getting promoted faster than me and even earning better pay at the same level.

How does a strong passport benefits you if you don’t have money? Broke people wey dey abroad no dey enjoy any passport. Ask how many countries Nigerians with American passport don travel go

3 Likes

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by anamo: 5:18pm On Apr 28
IbeOkehie:

Chai...so bank branch managers earn less than $400/month in Nigeria? I'm assuming this is retail/consumer banking like First Bank, Access Bank and such. I actually suspected it was this low which is why I've always been wondering what the big deal is about a bank manager in Nigeria. But people argue so much I started doubting my own experience. Wow!!!

By the way I looked up some data and there's about 4500 commercial bank branches in Nigeria. Just so we know.

https://techpoint.africa/2023/07/12/banks-with-the-most-branches-in-nigeria/#:~:text=Nigeria%

Very few bank managers, that's why they're highly regarded. Remember PwC data shows 0.4% of Nigerian adults earn over ₦200K/month!!!

Better to migrate and restart as security guard or cook in US/UK abeg if one can't get an equivalent job in banking. Wow, hair braider in USA can make that money with just one customer and remit the money to Nigeria!!!!

Now my understanding is even deeper. No wonder demand for migration is so high. God Bless the King biko, God Bless USA , may we always work hard to uphold the good systems and standards we've inherited from those who built these countries.

Good Luck to Nigerians.

Lol. Whatever rocks your story sha

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by festyflash(m): 5:30pm On Apr 28
Greetings to you Sir.

I would like to know

What are the courses you would advice one to go for, for easy integration into the system. Though I have an engineering certificate as a first degree here in Nigeria. Enlighten me

Mindlog:

Sadly, that is the reality on ground.

I boldly say majority of Nigerians who came to the UK through the study route, chose the "wrongest" courses!
Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by IbeOkehie: 5:33pm On Apr 28
anamo:

Lol. Whatever rocks your story sha

Your Glassdoor source is based on ONE input only from a person in the USA. Not reliable.

And we know for sure there's only 4,500 of them in Nigeria cheesy

Good Luck to Nigerians
Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Mindlog: 5:38pm On Apr 28
festyflash:
Greetings to you Sir.

I would like to know

What are the courses you would advice one to go for, for easy integration into the system. Though I have an engineering certificate as a first degree here in Nigeria. Enlighten me

To have a higher chance of getting the 5 years skilled worker visa after studies, an accredited Msc Psychology (conversion) for those who don't have an undergraduate degree in psychology) will increase your chances as there is huge demand for professionals in the mental health field.....this is my field here in the UK.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Dyfynezz12(m): 5:50pm On Apr 28
diamond68:
the carrington event. See the thing about the USA ? They love beautiful people. If you are very good looking they would give you the visa. Here is a story for you, this egbon went to study medicine in Russia. Very handsome guy with big Afro . He resemble Michael Jackson. Before the egbon enter the embassy Dey done deny like hundreds of people that week. The egbon was married to a Russian woman but no children so he used another persons halfcaste child’s picture and said it was his, to cut long story short, when the egbon enter the embassy for the interview oh boy dem just Dey joke with the egbon as dem see handsome man with oyinbo wife picture that he presented as his wife. Dem just Dey follow the bobo Dey gist about life and food and party’s etc etc. they did not ask him a single question about his visa application. After one hour of gisting and laughing dem say so how long do you want to stay in America for ? Egbon say just one month, dem say hold on, dem enter one room go stamp hin pali, dem nack the guy 2 year visa 👀👀👀👀👀👀👀. Na so my guy take japa.
Lol,that was grace it had nothing to do with his physical appearance.
Btw how can u spend one hour gisting with the consular,aren't there ppl behind u?
Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by festyflash(m): 5:50pm On Apr 28
To think psychology is something I enjoy too. Thank you for your response.

And one more thing Bro, can you recommend schools with the said Msc Psychology (Conversation).

Mindlog:

To have a higher chance of getting the 5 years skilled worker visa after studies, an accredited Msc Psychology (conversion) for those who don't have an undergraduate degree in psychology) will increase your chances as there is huge demand for professionals in the mental health field.....this is my field here in the UK.

1 Like

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by diamond68: 5:52pm On Apr 28
Dyfynezz12:

Lol,that was grace it had nothing to do with his physical appearance.
Btw how can u spend one hour gisting with the consular,aren't there ppl behind u?
dem fashy everyone. Na denial be those ones anyway 🤣
Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Dyfynezz12(m): 5:58pm On Apr 28
emmaodet:

You still don't get it.
It is relative.
I can keep dividing it till it gets smaller then maybe you will get the big picture.
While it is true that only a fraction of Nigerians can get a 3m per month job, then let's go further down.
A man earning $1000 in Nigeria is better than $3000 in Toronto.
Still very hard to get a $1000 job in Nigeria.
A man earning $500 in Nigeria is better than a man earning $1500 in Toronto.
Now, $500 job is not uncommon in Nigeria in some sectors.
Let's go further down.
A man earning $250 in Nigeria roughly 400k will live a better life than a man earning $750 in Toronto.
Infact from $1,500 downward in Toronto, you live will start becoming miserable but you can't say the equivalent in Nigeria.
Whatever effort u put in getting a job of 500$,if u put that same effort u will definitely get a job paying more than 1500$ in Canada.

Nigerians abroad dnt want many ppl to come to where there are because of fear of them spoiling that place that's the only reason y u guys abroad have the audacity to compare Canada nd Nigeria or even any European country.

I have uncles nd cousins staying abroad working legally,they do complain a lot but still I know their doings cox am the one managing most of their things here,I have guys there,even I have a lady friend that went to Canada last year,she just bought a property this year.

Abeg u guys abroad should stop comparing this damn country with any country outside Africa.
Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Dyfynezz12(m): 6:02pm On Apr 28
diamond68:
dem fashy everyone. Na denial be those ones anyway 🤣
That was grace,pure grace.
After experiencing what do happen at the US embassy twice, I decided I was not going to apply there again,at least not from Nigeria

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Mindlog: 6:35pm On Apr 28
festyflash:
To think psychology is something I enjoy too. Thank you for your response.

And one more thing Bro, can you recommend schools with the said Msc Psychology (Conversation).

Almost all the Unis in the UK offers Msc Psychology (conversion), just make sure the course page says it has British Psychological Society accreditation.

I will suggest Liverpool Hope University in Liverpool as their fees is still okay at £13,000 for the 2024/25 academic year resuming in October.

https://www.hope.ac.uk/postgraduate/postgraduatecourses/psychologymsc/

2 Likes

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by MT: 7:46pm On Apr 28
Gerrard59:

I won't lie o, should MT read this post, he would be laughing saying, "I told you people". grin grin

Sure.

I told you so moment grin
Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Princewill1(m): 7:47pm On Apr 28
anonimi:

Thanks for posting the updated number of deaths in the PH accident. The initial number was much higher.

You are however changing your narrative from the original post:

You are yet to show proof of ONE mass shooter killing hundredS in THE mall.

Thanks for finally accepting the true updated deaths from Punch Newspapers that I quoted. After initially misinforming people here that hundreds were killed in PH tanker explosion.

You are yet to show proof of ONE tanker explosion in PH that killed hundreds as one reason why we should all Japa for quality life.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by festyflash(m): 8:06pm On Apr 28
Thank you for your input. wink I appreciate.

I guess I can't always beep you anytime I need clarity on some questions in the future.

Mindlog:

Almost all the Unis in the UK offers Msc Psychology (conversion), just make sure the course page says it has British Psychological Society accreditation.

I will suggest Liverpool Hope University in Liverpool as their fees is still okay at £13,000 for the 2024/25 academic year resuming in October.

https://www.hope.ac.uk/postgraduate/postgraduatecourses/psychologymsc/

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Mindlog: 8:15pm On Apr 28
festyflash:
Thank you for your input. wink I appreciate.

I guess I can't always beep you anytime I need clarity on some questions in the future.

Sure, always ask your questions.

2 Likes

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Cousin9999: 8:18pm On Apr 28
Dyfynezz12:
Nigerians abroad dnt want many ppl to come to where there are because of fear of them spoiling that place that's the only reason y u guys abroad have the audacity to compare Canada nd Nigeria or even any European country.

I have uncles nd cousins staying abroad working legally,they do complain a lot but still I know their doings cox am the one managing most of their things here,I have guys there,even I have a lady friend that went to Canada last year,she just bought a property this year.

Abeg u guys abroad should stop comparing this damn country with any country outside Africa.

I don't think that's why people present these views. I think some are simply reminding people to consider all the facts.

Also, have you ever considered what family/friends abroad don't tell you?

1 Like

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Dyfynezz12(m): 8:42pm On Apr 28
Cousin9999:

I don't think that's why people present these views. I think some are simply reminding people to consider all the facts.

Also, have you ever considered what family/friends abroad don't tell you?
Life ain't easy anywhere,life is full of struggles.
If i should travel abroad tomorrow I won't expect to pick $ or £ notes on the ground but at least if u work hard u will be compensated handsomely for the work u did that's the difference between Nigeria nd abroad nd that's why it's better than abroad.

4 Likes

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by luluman: 8:46pm On Apr 28
anamo:
Who else notice that the japa noise has reduced these days? Or people no longer japa again ? Before, anywhere you go on social media you’ll see things like “I don’t get these things, I just talk to a man who sold his 5 duplexes and 500 cars and 6 businesses in Nigeria to relocate to UK permanently “ “new dispensation”

Is it that people no longer japa ir they’re hiding it now?
No, people have decided to make their move more hidden.
Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Vision101(m): 1:59am On Apr 29
Mindlog:

Which menial job? You no know children social care. cheesy cheesy cheesy

Person whey get NVQ Level 3 Diploma in plumbing for UK, which is like equivalent of OND will easily get employed before person whey get Msc in Engineering, all those theory certificates no dey shack UK employers. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Nothing new. It happens all over the world. A technician no matter what he knows is not an engineer.

An accounting technician is not a chartered accountant.

Na manage for an msc holder to be doing care job. They have small small certifications to make it look like a profession. Why their people no dey do the job?

Some of us understand the UK inside out.
Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by wwwtortoise(m): 5:28am On Apr 29
emmaodet:

Tbh, I am in-between.
I can't totally criticize those leaving nor call those staying back stupid.
Moving has it's merits and demerits just like staying back.
It is just for someone to weigh his options and know the pros and cons of their actions and ready to face it but generally, the advantage of going to western countries is -
1. Foreign certificate gives you better job with higher earnings.
2. Strong passport that won't make you to be wasting money on visas or delays or visa denial.
3. Their economy is so developed that you can virtually work in any sector and live a good life and can easily get a good job without connections or letters from kings/senator/governor/local government chairman just to get a decent job.

Those 2 points above are good points of moving.
In my career, using a Nigerian certificate has really cost me a lot and slowed down my progress and I know and see my colleagues with foreign certificates getting promoted faster than me and even earning better pay at the same level.

tensazangetsu20:

Lol this used to be true those days but men it doesn't fly anymore. There are Nigerians who didn't even go to school who are working in big companies I know people in tech who didn't have any degree and are working at places like Google and Facebook and these are Nigerians o. The world now is mostly about the skills and value you have to offer and not necessarily the school you went. Yes, going to a top school helps but how many Nigerians migrating are going to top schools.

Strong passport is good but strong passport without money is useless lol. My target for a strong passport is strictly based on economic activities and not necessarily travelling. There are people with these passports who can't travel cause they are broke. Sapa is a worldwide phenomenon.

Economy is developed yes but no one is going to hand over anything to you. Believe me, you have to show and prove competence. There are people abroad in good countries who can't still get jobs but these time around you can't blame anyone like tunubu or phcn grin grin

I.T space constitutes a part of the global employment index by sector and not its entirety. This means that there are many other industries (think blue-collar gigs) where physical certifications is still a commanding factor.

One of those is the maritime industry where some STCW courses abroad has more chances of getting you onboard and also influence promotion chances (depending on experience level) compared to Nigerian certs.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by GloriousGbola: 6:09am On Apr 29
tensazangetsu20:

Oh definitely. See the opportunities are here in Chile but the kind of work I did in the past few months is more than the kind of work I did in the past 3 years in Nigeria. It's not a joke. Anyone who isn't ready should not even start it

No need to mind the joker trying to clown on you

Most careers in Nigeria have been bastardized.
Once upon a time there were actual trade schools for artisans or mechanics.

Now someone will do apprenticeship, learn by rote, denigrate actual self development and go out and deliver absolute rubbish work

He will get away with it because this is Nigeria. If he is really unlucky, this is foundational, and he will never be able to learn to work smart or focus on constant improvement

A person like this will go out and be completely unable to cope or adapt to the challenges you are referring to.

It is why for instance there is no wave of lorry drivers or artisans japaing abroad. They simply will not be able to keep up

Cheers on your journey.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by GloriousGbola: 6:16am On Apr 29
Mindlog:

Which menial job? You no know children social care. cheesy cheesy cheesy

Person whey get NVQ Level 3 Diploma in plumbing for UK, which is like equivalent of OND will easily get employed before person whey get Msc in Engineering, all those theory certificates no dey shack UK employers. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

I think the problem is too many Nigerians are focused on papers for their sake, and not for what they can actually use them for. I literally had a guy working for me who has a PMP certificate, but I have never seen the person prepare any project documentation.

The first thing any employer is looking for is actual value.
Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Mindlog: 7:22am On Apr 29
GloriousGbola:

I think the problem is too many Nigerians are focused on papers for their sake, and not for what they can actually use them for. I literally had a guy working for me who has a PMP certificate, but I have never seen the person prepare any project documentation.

The first thing any employer is looking for is actual value.

I have a friend who did his Masters in Construction Management here in the UK and has been doing care jobs since graduation, he said he is going back to studies part time , to do both NVQ 2 and NVQ 3 in electrical installation that his Polish housemate who had never entered a university before, is earning way much higher than him as an electrician and boiler maintenance man.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Nigerian Man Collapses, Dies On A Flight From Dubai To Luwanda. Do You Know Him? / FG Plans 10 New Rail Lines (list Of The Rail Lines) / Cost Of Living In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.