Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,702 members, 7,831,192 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:14 PM

Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni - Culture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni (19415 Views)

INNOSON Donates Vehicles To Ooni Of Ife / Benin Traditional Worshippers Embark On Acts Of Purification And Sanctification / Oba Of Benin, Ewuare Arrives Abuja With Other High Chiefs For A Historic Visit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni by seunayantokun(m): 6:46pm On Apr 29
Danand1:

Now you are coming around, at least in this history given above, you acknowledged the influence of the Benin kingdom and shows how mighty she was, cos for her to have significant influence in those Yoruba area mentioned, then it a really mighty kingdom.
Now, if Benin kingdom was part of Yoruba, why will they have invaded Yoruba land and have influence of such magnitude
All kingdoms in Yoruba land were involved in invading one another: Ìbàdàn vs Ìjàyè, Ìjẹ̀bú vs Rẹmọ, Ẹ̀gbá vs Ìbàdàn, Ifẹ̀ and Ìjẹ̀bú vs Òwu, Èkìtì Parapọ̀ vs Ìbàdàn, etc.

1 Like

Re: Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni by aswani(m): 7:05pm On Apr 29
ElSudani:

The Oba by his own admission is of Yoruba descent. What are you going to do about it?

Ignore that Enugu Obidient, they have just come here to forment trouble.
Re: Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni by Konquest: 7:06pm On Apr 29
Danand1:

So with all this ados that is in Yoruba land why translating the ado in orun oba ado to be Edo and infact during those period it's Benin kingdom and not Edo
So if it's through that the orun is for Benin kings, it would have been orun oba benin and not orun oba Ado that you turned erroneously to edo
The Ado in "Orun Oba Ado" is NOT the same as the Ado in other parts of Yorubaland which means "settlements."

Google Orun Oba Ado and you will see the several pictures of the place where the heads of past Oba's of Benin were symbolically buried over the centuries until 1884.

It's just like the word OGUN or OKO which can have multiple meanings and pronunciations depending on the diacritical marks used in the words.

Ogun mean war or battle on Yoruba. You have Olori Ogun meaning Head or War leader.

Ogun can also mean medicine (which the Igalas who are a Yoruboid people and language spell as Ogwu).

Ogun is the Yoruba deity or God of war.

Oko means farm.
Oko means husband.
Oko mean penis.
Oko means car (or vehicle)
Oko mean hoe.

Also, to answer another question of yours, yes Benin was not part of Yorubaland but was an independent kingdom but they maintained ancestral ties especially via the Royal Palace with Ife. Most kingdoms too in Yorubaland operated as confederate states (under the vast Oyo Empire and extended from Nigeria to modern Togo) or were independent.

But it will interest you that Benin had battles with the kingdom on Agbor and I think Isele Uku back in time despite being closely related.

Parts of Yorubas also fought a deadly Civil War and other battles with alliances being made by one kingdom with the other because of internal power struggles and the desire to be free from the Oyo Empire and the Ibadan Empire by the Ekitis and Ijesas led by Balogun (or General) Ogedengbe Agbogunboro in the Kiriji Wars against Ibadan.
Re: Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni by aswani(m): 7:07pm On Apr 29
AnambraPikinSel:

Which useless Oba? God punish him

Please, that is an Enugu Obidient you are responding to.

I confirmed with their posting history.

1 Like

Re: Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni by Danand1: 7:18pm On Apr 29
Konquest:

The Ado in "Orun Oba Ado" is NOT the same as the Ado in other parts of Yorubaland which means "settlements."

Google Orun Oba Ado and you will see the several pictures of the place where the heads of past Oba's of Benin were symbolically buried over the centuries until 1884.

It's just like the word OGUN or OKO which can have multiple meanings and pronunciations depending on the diacritical marks used in the words.

Ogun mean war or battle on Yoruba. You have Olori Ogun meaning Head or War leader.

Ogun can also mean medicine (which the Igalas who are a Yoruboid people and language spell as Ogwu).

Oko means farm.
Oko means husband.
Oko mean penis.
Oko mean hoe.

Also, to answer another question of yours, yes Benin was not part of Yorubaland but was an independent kingdom but they maintained ancestral ties especially via the Royal Palace with Ife. Most kingdoms too in Yorubaland operated as confederate states (under the vast Oyo Empire and extended from Nigeria to modern Togo) or were independent.

But it will interest you that Benin had battles with the kingdom on Agbor and I think Isele Uku back in time despite being closely related.

Parts of Yorubas also fought a deadly Civil War and other battles with alliances being made by one kingdom with the other because of internal power struggles and the desire to be free from the Oyo Empire and the Ibadan Empire by the Ekitis and Ijesas led by Balogun (or General) Ogedengbe Agbogunboro in the Kiriji Wars against Ibadan.

Well, they are actually different Yoruba words, because Yoruba writes with signs on their vowels to differentiate words
So what are the signs on the ado that differentiate them from that of the orun oba ado

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni by Danand1: 7:28pm On Apr 29
Konquest:

Oko means farm.
Oko means husband.
Oko mean penis.
Oko mean hoe.

Yes, but Benin own is different, all this ones you stated are because of disputes between them
For binin according to your history (which I really don't believe) is invasion and not war

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni by YouAreNobody: 8:15pm On Apr 29
I000Capacity:
that's because it was established by the Yoruba
The Bini kingdom is far older than it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni by Konquest: 8:22pm On Apr 29
Danand1:

Well, they are actually different Yoruba words, because Yoruba writes with signs on their vowels to differentiate words
So what are the signs on the ado that differentiate them from that of the orun oba ado
These Web sources below will give you more insights about the use of "Amin Ohun" or Tonal Marks in the Yoruba language.

"Learning of Yoruba Tone Marks" video of 21 minutes can also be found on YouTube in the English language via a simple YouTube and/or Google search.

=>https://alawiiyeyoruba.com/importance-of-tone-marks-in-yoruba/

=>https://www.yorubalibrary.com/services/amin_ede_yoruba_service.html

=>http://www.yorubaintonation.somee.com/
Re: Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni by OVB123: 10:38pm On Apr 29
Kingharzyz:
As long as your Oba continue to answer to the word Oba !

Abegg I you’re from ile ife .
I can see you are shouting up and down.
Let me tell you that hope you will not cry when the Oba of Benin will say that Lagos is own by Benin?

1 Like

Re: Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni by OVB123: 10:41pm On Apr 29
SonofLagos:
yorubas are proud people and we don’t do attaché by force like some people do, what the population of Benin people compared to the Yorubas? Who cares if they chose to be on their own? But what we will not accept is the distortion of our history and all the nonsense talk of how Benin own Lagos. Yorubas are a progressive tribe and we don’t need any other tribe to validate how superiority in the scheme of things.. we are very good in our own skin grin
Whether you like it or not, y........ba are tenants in Lagos. If you doubt me ask Oba of Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni by DOptical: 11:13pm On Apr 29
Danand1:

If Oduduwa is the father of all Yoruba, Obatala is father to who?
In your earlier statement, you said Oduduwa became king after Obatala, and even dresses like Obatala....
If Oduduwa was king of the Yoruba because they are on earth, so when Obatala was king over them, were they living in the sky?

As in you are saying rubbish, just accept

I can't even waste my time on a stupid brain who can't understand cosmos creations and the human kings.

Obatala and Oduduwa are cosmos creation Orishas which formed the universe. Oduduwa represent the black space/earth/matter while Obatala represent the light that shines into space. The Yoruba are living on earth thus are always called Omo Oduduwa by Ifa, aside Ifa calling the Yoruba the omoluabi (children of God), Adulawo (the beautiful black skin).. As a matter of fact, the first human on earth was a black man who's the progenitor of other humans.

Meanwhile, the Yoruba humans who were named Obatala and the Oduduwa of Oke Ora were picked by Ifa to become kings of Ife thereby depicting the Cosmos creation Orishas of the universe.

If your brain can't understand this, then go knock it on the rock.
Re: Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni by SonofLagos: 11:52pm On Apr 29
OVB123:
Whether you like it or not, y........ba are tenants in Lagos. If you doubt me ask Oba of Lagos.
😂 you are just being delusional, let any Benin man try and contest for the governorship ship,then we can start from there but as of today we can decide to construct a road that goes through your house, if you own one in Lagos, and there is nothing your wretched cursed generation can do Okoro😂 now tell me who’s the tenant?
Re: Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni by Danand1: 5:23am On Apr 30
Konquest:

These Web sources below will give you more insights about the use of "Amin Ohun" or Tonal Marks in the Yoruba language.

"Learning of Yoruba Tone Marks" video of 21 minutes can also be found on YouTube in the English language via a simple YouTube and/or Google search.

=>https://alawiiyeyoruba.com/importance-of-tone-marks-in-yoruba/

=>https://www.yorubalibrary.com/services/amin_ede_yoruba_service.html

=>http://www.yorubaintonation.somee.com/

I know the Yoruba tone marks well enough, so not just learning

1 Like

Re: Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni by Danand1: 5:38am On Apr 30
DOptical:

I can't even waste my time on a stupid brain who can't understand cosmos creations and the human kings.

Obatala and Oduduwa are cosmos creation Orishas which formed the universe. Oduduwa represent the black space/earth/matter while Obatala represent the light that shines into space. The Yoruba are living on earth thus are always called Omo Oduduwa by Ifa, aside Ifa calling the Yoruba the omoluabi (children of God), Adulawo (the beautiful black skin).. As a matter of fact, the first human on earth was a black man who's the progenitor of other humans.

Meanwhile, the Yoruba humans who were named Obatala and the Oduduwa of Oke Ora were picked by Ifa to become kings of Ife thereby depicting the Cosmos creation Orishas of the universe.

If your brain can't understand this, then go knock it on the rock.

It's not the issue of me not understanding, it just that you are saying rubbish
Are you trying to say, Obatala and Oduduwa
we're orisha before their human form became kings in ife?
Re: Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni by OVB123: 9:06pm On May 01
SonofLagos:
😂 you are just being delusional, let any Benin man try and contest for the governorship ship,then we can start from there but as of today we can decide to construct a road that goes through your house, if you own one in Lagos, and there is nothing your wretched cursed generation can do Okoro😂 now tell me who’s the tenant?
Mtcheeew! Empty drum make the loudest noise. No need to argue with you.
Re: Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni by SonofLagos: 9:11pm On May 01
OVB123:
Mtcheeew! Empty drum make the loudest noise. No need to argue with you.
grin hope you heard there will be Oro festival in Lagos? Why not dare them and go out at night and tell them Benin owns Lagos, I want to see if you will come back home alive…Arindin😂
Re: Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni by Olu317(m): 7:41pm On May 02
Danand1:

It's not the issue of me not understanding, it just that you are saying rubbish
Are you trying to say, Obatala and Oduduwa
we're orisha before their human form became kings in ife?
Learning is infinite. Odudua or Oduduwa or Oodua and obatala as deities are always been confused with the human counterparts who bore these names.

Odudua and Obatala who were humans, died and were buried. While Oodua irunmole is also referred in Ifa corpus as Orunmila and Obatala is also known as Orisa Nla who are infinite with other irunmole

While in other instances Orunmila helped the human Odudua was helped by Orunmila to overcome Obatala in their war to lead the unified thirteen communities
Re: Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni by samuk: 8:30pm On May 02
Map of Old Benin kingdom

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Oluwo Of Iwo, Adewale Akanbi, Dancing (Photos, Video) / “Marriage Not On My Mind”, Ooni Of Ife Debunks Rumour Of Marrying Tope Adesegun / Benefits Of Scent Leave To Your Spiritual Life....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.