Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,478 members, 7,830,406 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:30 PM

Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni - Culture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni (19399 Views)

INNOSON Donates Vehicles To Ooni Of Ife / Benin Traditional Worshippers Embark On Acts Of Purification And Sanctification / Oba Of Benin, Ewuare Arrives Abuja With Other High Chiefs For A Historic Visit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni by DOptical: 11:38pm On Apr 28
Danand1:

You are saying rubbish, but no probs
So how does Oduduwa now becomes the father of Yoruba and not Obatala or his descendants

Ode, you're the one saying rubbish. Meanwhile, You keep forgetting the fact that Obatala and Oduduwa are also Orisha cosmos. Oduduwa is the Orisha of earth while Obatala is the Orisha of light (king of light). Yoruba are living on the Earth, thus Oduduwa is the father of all Yorubas who are referred to as the Omoluabi which means the children of God.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni by seunayantokun(m): 11:45pm On Apr 28
Danand1:

I guess you should visit ooni's palace and get the proper history, even in ife there is still a park name Oduduwa afewonro park right in front of the palace, with the statue of Oduduwa
My friend, history is different from myth. You want to get some falsehood to hold on to so that you can perpetuate a self-serving untruth? No, you won't get that from us. What I have stated is history. Go and do further study on that. Thank you.
Re: Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni by DOptical: 11:50pm On Apr 28
chopnaira:

Their problem. Would the council of Benin chiefs also suspend Oba of Benin too for saying he is the son of Oranmiyan and Grandson of Oduduwa in his coronation video below? He also said Oranmiyan established Obaship in Benin cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-q_F2zch8M?si=e6yfz-uGrRaJbPZE

Lmao
Re: Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni by Danand1: 11:54pm On Apr 28
seunayantokun:

My friend, history is different from myth. You want to get some falsehood to hold on to so that you can perpetuate a self-serving untruth? No, you won't get that from us. What I have stated is history. Go and do further study on that. Thank you.
😀,are you saying what is showcased in the palace is just myth and not the true history?, wonderful

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni by seunayantokun(m): 11:58pm On Apr 28
Danand1:

😀,are you saying what is showcased in the palace is just myth and not the true history?, wonderful
History is based on true events that took place. Myths are not? Go read my first response to you again. Full stop. Thank you.
Re: Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni by Danand1: 12:04am On Apr 29
DOptical:

Ode, you're the one saying rubbish. Meanwhile, You keep forgetting the fact that Obatala and Oduduwa are also Orisha cosmos. Oduduwa is the Orisha of earth while Obatala is the Orisha of light (king of light). Yoruba are living on the Earth, thus Oduduwa is the father of all Yorubas who are referred to as the Omoluabi which means the children of God.
Pls who became the king first, obatala or Oduduwa, and the king of earth was in oke ora when the king of light was ruling his people and it takes ifa, another orisa to chose the king of earth to succeed king of light that both are also in the orisa cosmos,
Can you see you are saying rubbish
Re: Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni by Danand1: 12:07am On Apr 29
seunayantokun:

History is based on true events that took place. Myths are not? Go read my first response to you again. Full stop. Thank you.
I guess Oduduwa been a Yoruba from oke ora can be taken as myth and not the true history, thanks bro.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni by DOptical: 12:14am On Apr 29
Danand1:

Pls who became the king first, obatala or Oduduwa, and the king of earth was in oke ora when the king of light was ruling his people and it takes ifa, another orisa to chose the king of earth to succeed king of light that both are also in the orisa cosmos,
Can you see you are saying rubbish

Ode, you can't understand a thing. There are Orisha cosmos and there are Orisha the humans. Obatala and Oduduwa are cosmos, just as they were also humans.

In fact, prior to Oduduwa of Oke Ora becoming the King of Ife, Yoruba were called the children of Oduduwa by Ifa, hence why Oduduwa of Oke ora was bearing Oduduwa even before Ifa picked him as a King. Ifa calls the Yoruba the Omo Odua (the children of the earth/the matter), the Omoluabi (the children of God), Adulawo (the beautiful black skin) etc

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni by Danand1: 12:31am On Apr 29
DOptical:

Ode, you can't understand a thing. There are Orisha cosmos and there are Orisha the humans. Obatala and Oduduwa are cosmos, just as they were also humans.

In fact, prior to Oduduwa of Oke Ora becoming the King of Ife, Yoruba were called the children of Oduduwa by Ifa, hence why Oduduwa of Oke ora was bearing Oduduwa even before Ifa picked him as a King. Ifa calls the Yoruba the Omo Odua (the children of the earth/black matter), the Omoluabi (the children of God), Adulawo (the beautiful black skin) etc
I applaud your your unwavering seriousness in saying rubbish, thanks so much

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni by darediamond(m): 12:52am On Apr 29
Emyzoloye5:
Kudos to the oba of Benin, the miscreants went to do eye service for the hornyy of ife
You no well ooo..…

Enh? Kontinu....

Is it Honey or Hornni? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni by seunayantokun(m): 1:27am On Apr 29
Danand1:

I guess Oduduwa been a Yoruba from oke ora can be taken as myth and not the true history, thanks bro.

You're free to move away from cooking up things from imaginations, so use your liberty well. Our own Odùduwà didn't drop from anywhere. He was a normal hunan being who had parents: born and brought up by Ọ̀ra family in Ufẹ̀ (Ifẹ̀).

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni by AutomaticMotors: 7:15am On Apr 29
Danand1:

🤣🤣🤣 grin grin
Re: Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni by Danand1: 7:39am On Apr 29
Konquest:

Oke Ora is located within Osun State not far from Ife (Ufe), that is 8 kilometres (5 miles) EAST of Ife (Ufe) and there were other settlements in what is now Yorubaland before Oduduwa was even born and he originally came from Oke Ora. There were people in Ife before the rise of the Oduduwa Dynasty in Ife and Ife had 2 other dynasties before the Oduduwa dynasty. The presence of Obatala as a traditional ruler in what is now Ife is just one of the evidence that shows that the Obaship or kingship system existed long before Oduduwa came from Oke Ora, and he continued the Obaship tradition.

=>https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oke_Ora

I must add that the descent of Oduduwa from his place of origin in Oke Ora in Osun State is mythologized as the descent from the sky. Everyone in Ife and outside Ife knows it's NOT to be interpreted as a literal descent from the sky but it's just a religious deification or allegory of the arrival of Oduduwa from Oke Ora to Ife and this is why every new Oba (Ooni of Ife) has to go to Oke Ora as part of the traditional rites of coronation.

=>https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oke_Ora

Heck, even the Ogiso (now Ogiamien) family CLEARLY stated in this 2018 Guardian article below that Oduduwa was NOT from Igodomigo as being claimed of recent by the Benin Royal Palace but was of pure Yoruba descent from Ife alongside Oranmiyan who had a child called Owomika (Eweka) by a woman from Egor.

=>https://guardian.ng/features/ogiso-and-ogiamien-are-aborigine-binis-while-oba-of-benin-is-of-yoruba-descent-high-chief-esotericist-monday-wehere/

😀, Yoruba are just coming up with different versions of where Oduduwa comes from just to cover the fact that he comes from another kingdom,
* they say he was the one that creat the world after obatala was sent to the do so but drank palm wine on the way
*They also said he came from mecca or Egypt
*Now they are claiming he is from oke ora..
This inconsistency in history really shows Yoruba really don't now much about where Oduduwa comes from, they are just cooking up stories to sooth themselves

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni by DOptical: 9:28am On Apr 29
Danand1:

You're quite stupid. You saw someone bearing Yoruba name called Oduduwa, yet you still dey wail? No be madness be that? You dey mad?

Oduduwa came from Oke Ora which is also stated by Ifa who picked him.

Meanwhile, Oduduwa, just like Obatala weren't just human Yoruba kings but are also creation cosmos. Oduduwa means black earth/or matter. If you weren't stupid, you would know the first human on earth was a black man who was the progenitor of other humans. Jesus himself was a black man described as burnished bronze color with woolen hair, even as he was representing the first man on earth.
Re: Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni by ElSudani: 9:44am On Apr 29
CountinBlessins:
I said it! Some stupid Yoruba kids were insulting me here.!!!

Which Bini man , which true son of bini soil will accept the insults these Yorubas dare to us daily ?!

We are not related to Yoruba !! We have nothing in common. With Yoruba !!!

I hate anything that involves us with Yoruba!!!!

Let the southwest stay on their own and mind their business.

Niger delta has nothing to do with Yoruba..the famzing is irritating.
These people don't realize how much they hated sha. They actually live in a delusion that anyone sees anything good in them hence the need to always poke nose and try to form brotherhood.

I spit whenever I see them here in Bini. I slapped the idiot yoruba boy who dared insult oba in my presence.

I slapped him so hard he nearly collapsed. How dare you say Oba is under yoruba kings ?!!!

If I had my way , no yoruba person will ever be allowed into Edo state , talkless of renting or wining property.

They are hateful disrespectful and arrogant. angry

Is dislike these people with every fiber of my being. If I had my way .... No yoruba will ever......

Let me no talk angry

If only you know how we feel about you guys ehn. Una go dey run avoid us.

Spits with all disgust.

The Oba by his own admission is of Yoruba descent. What are you going to do about it?
Re: Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni by AnambraPikinSel: 9:55am On Apr 29
CountinBlessins:
I said it! Some stupid Yoruba kids were insulting me here.!!!

Which Bini man , which true son of bini soil will accept the insults these Yorubas dare to us daily ?!

We are not related to Yoruba !! We have nothing in common. With Yoruba !!!

I hate anything that involves us with Yoruba!!!!

Let the southwest stay on their own and mind their business.

Niger delta has nothing to do with Yoruba..the famzing is irritating.
These people don't realize how much they hated sha. They actually live in a delusion that anyone sees anything good in them hence the need to always poke nose and try to form brotherhood.

I spit whenever I see them here in Bini. I slapped the idiot yoruba boy who dared insult oba in my presence.

I slapped him so hard he nearly collapsed. How dare you say Oba is under yoruba kings ?!!!

If I had my way , no yoruba person will ever be allowed into Edo state , talkless of renting or wining property.

They are hateful disrespectful and arrogant. angry

Is dislike these people with every fiber of my being. If I had my way .... No yoruba will ever......

Let me no talk angry

If only you know how we feel about you guys ehn. Una go dey run avoid us.

Spits with all disgust.

Which useless Oba? God punish him
Re: Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni by I000Capacity: 1:59pm On Apr 29
YouAreNobody:

Self-deceit. The bini kingdom is one of the oldest civilizations known to man, even before these other kingdoms that make up the Nigerian region
that's because it was established by the Yoruba
Re: Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni by I000Capacity: 2:00pm On Apr 29
Coronavirus1:

Bini people did not come from youroba land get it cleared its the oba family that came from ife of youroba land. Bini is from Igodomigodo Kingdom no oba but ogiemien

all treaties between great states cease to be binding when they come in conflict with the struggle for existence" >( Otto von Bismarck )
Re: Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni by I000Capacity: 2:02pm On Apr 29
Danand1:

Is Oduduwa a Yoruba man?
Probably it was in-cooperated into Yoruba language after Oduduwa came, because if Yoruba can take a foreigner as their father, I guess there is nothing impossible.

You are confusing yourself. Why would you say the word "OBA" was incorporated into Yoruba language. Are you insinuating the word OBA is a French word grin grin or where are you saying it's from
Re: Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni by Konquest: 3:21pm On Apr 29
Danand1:

😀, Yoruba are just coming up with different versions of where Oduduwa comes from just to cover the fact that he comes from another kingdom,
* they say he was the one that creat the world after obatala was sent to the do so but drank palm wine on the way
*They also said he came from mecca or Egypt
*Now they are claiming he is from oke ora..
This inconsistency in history really shows Yoruba really don't now much about where Oduduwa comes from, they are just cooking up stories to sooth themselves
Did you read my post well to understand?
I took time off to clearly explain this to you because you tagged me and didn't pass insults which is how things should be... That is the way to exchange intellectual ideas

I will explain again here with more examples.

The Oke Ora origin of Oduduwa is a well-known FACT for centuries now and it is NOT a new knowledge and this is why every Ooni who is about to be crowned for centuries now has to go to Oke Ora which is 8 kilometres away from Ile Ife (Ufe) as part of the coronation rites.

Oke means "hill or hills" in Yoruba language and Ora is the names of a Yoruba deity.

So, the descent of Oduduwa from his original home in Oke Ora is depicted in the Ifa religious rites as an allegory of Oduduwa coming from the "sky." So, Oke or Hill is represented allegorically as a Sky.

The Mecca or Egypt story is NOT recognized even in Ife (Ufe). It is the Islamic or Muslim attempt or fabrication to explain Oduduwa's origin that led to that nonsense Mecca story. That history is not recognized at all by Ife indigenes and other Yoruba kingdoms that have links with the Oduduwa Dynasty.

There are top secrets that exist between Ife and other Yoruba or Yoruba-associated kingdoms such as Benin kingdom that the average people don't know. How many people knew that every 3rd Oba of Benin had his head brought to Ife for burial at a place called Orun Oba Ado until it was stopped in the late 1890s?
Orun Oba Ado in Yoruba means (the Heaven of Oba of Benin grove).

The Orun Oba Ado grove burial in Ife signifies the burial of the head in the paternal lineage in Ife while the rest of the body of the Oba of Benin was buried in Benin kingdom because the maternal lineage of the Obaship Dynasty is from Benin (Egor). These things were done top secret and this is why a lot of people were surprised to read about it.

In any event, let us leave those two Palaces of Ife and Benin because they are related ancestrally as family members and they know what they are doing in secret. The Ooni of Ife even said in that video of the visit of the Benin Royal Palace high chiefs that he is always in constant touch by phone with the Oba of Benin and spoke to him the day before.

One thing I like that Prof. Banji Akintoye the great historian stated in an interview a few years ago is that even though the Oba of Benin has a Yoruba paternal lineage from Ife (Ufe), his maternal lineages is Benin and that the Oba is a Benin man ruling over Benin kingdom.

The British Royal family ruling presently is descended from King George I who is a German. He couldn't even speak English language when he came from Germany to become the King of Britain and Elector of Hanover in the year 1714, just 310 years ago.

=>https://www.dw.com/en/how-german-are-the-british-royals/

=>https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_I_of_Great_Britain

1 Like

Re: Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni by Danand1: 3:22pm On Apr 29
seunayantokun:

You're free to move away from cooking up things from imaginations, so use your liberty well. Our own Odùduwà didn't drop from anywhere. He was a normal hunan being who had parents: born and brought up by Ọ̀ra family in Ufẹ̀ (Ifẹ̀).
Go to that same Ife palace and try explaining that to them first, when you've done that , then we can talk

1 Like

Re: Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni by Danand1: 3:35pm On Apr 29
Konquest:

Did you read my post well to understand?
I took time off to clearly explain this to you because you tagged me and didn't pass insults which is how things should be... That is the way to exchange intellectual ideas

I will explain again here with more examples.

The Oke Ora origin of Oduduwa is a well-known FACT for centuries now and it is NOT a new knowledge and this is why every Ooni who is about to be crowned for centuries now has to go to Oke Ora which is 8 kilometres away from Ile Ife (Ufe) as part of the coronation rites.

Oke means "hill or hills" in Yoruba language and Ora is the names of a Yoruba deity.

So, the descent of Oduduwa from his original home in Oke Ora is depicted in the Ifa religious rites as an allegory of Oduduwa coming from the "sky." So, Oke or Hill is represented allegorically as a Sky.

The Mecca or Egypt story is NOT recognized even in Ife (Ufe). It is the Islamic or Muslim attempt or fabrication to explain Oduduwa's origin that led to that nonsense Mecca story. That history is not recognized at all by Ife indigenes and other Yoruba kingdoms that have links with the Oduduwa Dynasty.

There are top secrets that exist between Ife and other Yoruba or Yoruba-associated kingdoms such as Benin kingdom that the average people don't know. How many people knew that every 3rd Oba of Benin had his head brought to Ife for burial at a place called Orun Oba Ado until it was stopped in the late 1890s?
Orun Oba Ado in Yoruba means (the Heaven of Oba of Benin grove).

The Orun Oba Ado grove burial in Ife signifies the burial of the head in the paternal lineage in Ife while the rest of the body of the Oba of Benin was buried in Benin kingdom because the maternal lineage of the Obaship Dynasty is from Benin (Egor). These things were done top secret and this is why a lot of people were surprised to read about it.

In any event, let us leave those two Palaces of Ife and Benin because they are related ancestrally as family members and they know what they are doing in secret. The Ooni of Ife even said in that video of the visit of the Benin Royal Palace high chiefs that he is always in constant touch by phone with the Oba of Benin and spoke to him the day before.

One thing I like that Prof. Banji Akintoye the great historian stated in an interview a few years ago is that even though the Oba of Benin has a Yoruba paternal lineage from Ife (Ufe), his maternal lineages is Benin and that the Oba is a Benin man ruling over Benin kingdom.

The British Royal family ruling presently is descended from King George I who is a German. He couldn't even speak English language when he came from Germany to become the King of Britain and Elector of Hanover in the year 1714, just 310 years ago.

=>https://www.dw.com/en/how-german-are-the-british-royals/

=>https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_I_of_Great_Britain

But if ado in orun oba ado is translated to mean Edo, I think ado in ado-ekiti should mean edo-ekiti, just asking though.
But do you know that there is ado kingdom in the time past, and that is said to be in Ogun state

Ado-Odo is located in modern-day Ogun State in the southwestern part of Nigeria.
You can check it out
So that you won't mistook it for Benin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni by Konquest: 5:12pm On Apr 29
Danand1:

But if ado in orun oba ado is translated to mean Edo, I think ado in ado-ekiti should mean edo-ekiti, just asking though.

But do you know that there is ado kingdom in the time past, and that is said to be in Ogun state

Ado-Odo is located in modern-day Ogun State in the southwestern part of Nigeria.
You can check it out
So that you won't mistook it for Benin
Actually "Ado" is the Yoruba word for settlement. Ado Ekiti means "Settlement on or near a Hill." You have Oke Ado area of Ibadan, Ado Odo/Ota, Ado Ekiti, etc. Ekiti and Okiti for instance are dialectic variants of the same word for Hill. Okitipupa in Ondo State has Okiti as a prefix. Ekiti folks call theirs without the first letter O.

Oke Ado in Ibadan:
=>https://www.premiumtimesng.com/entertainment/travels/258893-travel-navigating-ibadan-early-epicentre-oke-ado.html

Because "Odo" in Ado-Odo area of Ogun State means river, while "Ado" means settlement or "we settled," therefore, Ado-Odo, means "we settled by the riverbank."

I actually read years back in the early 1990s in an article that Ado-Ekiti was used as a military camp by the Benin soldiers sometime around the early 1800s when Benin army with their allies from Esan and Ikere led by the Ogoga of Ikere invaded some Eastern Yoruba communities. (Read up more on the Akure-Benin War on Wikipedia or elsewhere online).

Akure, Ikere-Ekiti, parts of Ado-Ekiti, Aramoko-Ekiti, Igede-Ekiti, etc, also came under fierce invasion by the Benin army and the indigenous warriors of these communities especially of Ado Ekiti and Akure fought bravely. These areas did have Benin influences though in terms of trade and settlement. There were also large Yoruba trading settlements in the Benin kingdom just like Benin trading settlements existed in Yorubaland.

Akure has the quarters called "Akure Ado" which is where those who came from Edo (Benin) settled after the Benin invasion before and after the Benin invasion of Akure on 1818. The Ado Akure are Yorubanized and have Yoruba names though, but they still have their family houses in Benin and intermarried with the indigenous Akure people after the Benin invasion of Akure in the early 1800s (1818 to be precise like I earlier stated).

1 Like

Re: Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni by seunayantokun(m): 5:37pm On Apr 29
Danand1:

Go to that same Ife palace and try explaining that to them first, when you've done that , then we can talk
Your mind which goes after unfounded tales cannot dictate our truths. Good thing is you can only hope and opine in your private room. So, you are on your own. Thank you; now you can to sleep.
Re: Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni by Danand1: 6:06pm On Apr 29
DOptical:

If Oduduwa is the father of all Yoruba, Obatala is father to who?
In your earlier statement, you said Oduduwa became king after Obatala, and even dresses like Obatala....
If Oduduwa was king of the Yoruba because they are on earth, so when Obatala was king over them, were they living in the sky?

As in you are saying rubbish, just accept

1 Like

Re: Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni by Danand1: 6:08pm On Apr 29
seunayantokun:
Your mind which goes after unfounded tales cannot dictate our truths. Good thing is you can only hope and opine in your private room. So, you are on your own. Thank you; now you can to sleep.
Smiles, seems you claim to know more than the people and ooni in the palace now
Re: Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni by Danand1: 6:17pm On Apr 29
Konquest:

Actually "Ado" is the Yoruba word for settlement. Ado Ekiti means "Settlement on a Hill." You have Oke Ado area of Ibadan, Ado Odo/Ota, Ado Ekiti, etc. Ekiti and Okiti are dialectic variants of the same word for Hill.
Okitipipa has Okiti as a precursor. Ekiti folks called theirs without the first letter O.

Because "Odo" in Ado-Odo area of Ogun State means river, while "Ado" means settlement or "we settled," therefore, Ado-Odo, means "we settled by the riverbank."

I actually read years back in the early 1990s in an article that Ado-Ekiti was used as a military camp by the Benin soldiers sometime around the early 1800s when Benin army with their allies from Esan and Ikere led by the Ogoga of Ikere invaded some Eastern Yoruba communities. Read up more on Akure-Benin War on Wikipedia or elsewhere online.

Akure, Ikere-Ekiti, parts of Ado-Ekiti, Aramoko-Ekiti, Igede-Ekiti, etc, also came under fierce invasion by the Benin army and the indigenous warriors of these communities especially of Ado Ekiti and Akure fought bravely. These areas did have Benin influences though in terms of trade and settlement. There were also large Yoruba trading settlements in the Benin kingdom just like Benin trading settlements existed in Yorubaland.

Akure has the quarters called "Akure Ado" which is where those who came from Edo (Benin) settled after the Benin invasion before and after the Benin invasion of Akure on 1818. The Ado Akure are Yorubanized and have Yoruba names though, but they still have their family houses in Benin and intermarried with the indigenous Akure people after the Benin invasion of Akure in the early 1800s (1818 to be precise like I earlier stated).

Now you are coming around, at least in this history given above, you acknowledged the influence of the Benin kingdom and shows how mighty she was, cos for her to have significant influence in those Yoruba area mentioned, then it a really mighty kingdom.
Now, if Benin kingdom was part of Yoruba, why will they have invaded Yoruba land and have influence of such magnitude

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni by seunayantokun(m): 6:22pm On Apr 29
Danand1:

Smiles, seems you claim to know more than the people and ooni in the palace now

Fallacy. That someone currently occupies a royal stool doesn't make them an authority in its history. Thank God the present Ọọ̀ni has a humble spirit and is growing in knowledge. So, you're still on your own, please.
Re: Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni by Danand1: 6:25pm On Apr 29
seunayantokun:

Fallacy. That someone currently occupies a royal stool doesn't make them an authority in its history. Thank God the present Ọọ̀ni has a humble spirit and is growing in knowledge. So, you're still on your own, please.
Just as the Benin chiefs that were suspended for not knowing the history

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni by seunayantokun(m): 6:36pm On Apr 29
Danand1:

Just as the Benin chiefs that were suspended for not knowing the history
Those people can sort themselves out. I just hope you won't make it a matter for your personal grinding.
Re: Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni by Danand1: 6:42pm On Apr 29
Konquest:

Actually "Ado" is the Yoruba word for settlement. Ado Ekiti means "Settlement on or near a Hill." You have Oke Ado area of Ibadan, Ado Odo/Ota, Ado Ekiti, etc. Ekiti and Okiti for instance are dialectic variants of the same word for Hill. Okitipupa in Ondo State has Okiti as a prefix. Ekiti folks call theirs without the first letter O.

Oke Ado in Ibadan:
=>https://www.premiumtimesng.com/entertainment/travels/258893-travel-navigating-ibadan-early-epicentre-oke-ado.html

I actually read years back in the early 1990s in an article that Ado-Ekiti was used as a military camp by the Benin soldiers sometime around the early 1800s when Benin army with their allies from Esan and Ikere led by the Ogoga of Ikere invaded some Eastern Yoruba communities. (Read up more on the Akure-Benin War on Wikipedia or elsewhere online).

So with all this ados that is in Yoruba land why translating the ado in orun oba ado to be Edo and infact during those period it's Benin kingdom and not Edo
So if it's through that the orun is for Benin kings, it would have been orun oba benin and not orun oba Ado that you turned erroneously to edo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Benin Traditional Council Suspends Five Chiefs For Pledging Alliance To Ooni by Danand1: 6:45pm On Apr 29
seunayantokun:

Those people can sort themselves out. I just hope you won't make it a matter for your personal grinding.
Likewise bro

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem / Oluwo Of Iwo, Adewale Akanbi, Dancing (Photos, Video) / Benefits Of Scent Leave To Your Spiritual Life....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.