Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,314 members, 7,839,509 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 09:18 PM

MAID OF HONOR- An Enemy To Lover Story - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / MAID OF HONOR- An Enemy To Lover Story (175 Views)

Arrogant Maid Episode 1 / The Enemy Within - A Tale Of Love, Lust And Betrayal / My Handsome Enemy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

MAID OF HONOR- An Enemy To Lover Story by Mistressofjoy(f): 8:14pm On May 10
CHAPTER ONE
“Where did I go wrong with you, Fisayo? Do you realize how old you'll be this year? Perhaps I should remind you because you appear to have forgotten. Kemi expressed, dissatisfaction in her voice.

“I just don't understand why you're being so dramatic mum. Will I force myself on a man? I’ve tried, but it's hard to find a good man, especially in this Lagos. Everyone just wants to have fun and move on; finding a good man these days is like finding a needle in a haystack, and I refuse to settle for less. I won't marry anyone until I find the man of my dreams."

"Just listen to yourself, ehn. “The man of your dreams," you better wake up from that dream and face reality. All of your friends are married and raising children; the only one who isn't married yet is engaged and will marry soon. But here's my own daughter, dreaming. Oh Goddddd, and I pray oo, I pay my tithes, I don't wish anyone evil; why does my own have to be like this, ehn?"

Fisayo's frustration with her mother's continual nagging and push to settle down was palpable. As a 30-year-old single woman with no potential partner, she was repeatedly reminded that her time was limited, especially by her own mother.

“I think I need to move out" Fisayo murmured to herself.

“What are you saying? Let me hear you, oo."

"Nothing, I've heard you, I'll do something about it"

"You had better, cause I won't sit and let you.."

Kemi was interrupted by a call on Fisayo's phone. She was relieved; she was finally free of her mother's nag, at least for the time being, she thought as she raced into her room.

“Hey girrrllllll…" Fisayo greeted her best friend, Rolake.

“Baby girl…." Rolake responded in an eager tone.

“How you dey na?"

“I'm good oo, you?"

“I'm fine jare, my mama wan just use talk finish me ni jare"

“Marriage talk?"

“What else? It's been a song in my ears since forever now."

"You understand how our parents may be... "Pele baby." Rolake was chuckling.

“Oshey jare"

“I actually called to give you a good news oo"

“Ehen, please tell me, I could really use one right now"

“So… Richard was in Nigeria last week.

“Oh, I forgot to ask sef, how is he doing? You didn't even inform me that he had came. Bestie in the mud, see your life."

“Is not like that, jare; he only visited briefly. You're aware of how his work is na. But he brought something for you... I will give you when we see."

“You see, Richard na my gee, he sabi wet ground"

Rolake erupted into laughter. "You be fool, she say wet ground"

“Ehen Wetin be the news?"

“Shebi if you didn't interrupt me now"

“Oga talk joor"

“Well… the both family has agreed on a date for our wedding"

Fisayo gasped with amazement.

“Babes… Are you for real?? Oh, my God!!! It is finally happening!! I am happy for you, baby. My baby is finally going to be someone's wife, oo chaiiii. "You wey no get sense..." Fisayo taunted her friend and laughed.

"Na you get sense? Foolish girl. The date is March 20th.”

That fast?" That's about two months from now.”

“We had to take Richard's busy schedule into account. It's the same reason why we had to do our introduction on Zoom. He will be having his annual leave around March, so we merely wanted to maximize the opportunity.”

“Omo, doctor's work is not easy. They're always busy. I'm just happy it's finally happening; I'm so happy for you, girl.

“Thank you darling."

“So, how will it be? When do we start the whole plan?"

“That's why I called you, oo; I'm so overwhelmed right now, I don't even know where to start but you know you're going to be my maid of honor, right?”

“Who wan be your maid of honor before? When no be say you wan see madness.”

“Abeg rest, so the point is... we need to meet to talk so we can plan everything out, and then we can begin contacting people. What do you think?"

“That’s fine. Make I come your side, or are you going to come here?…. You know what? "I will just come over."

“Fisayo!!! Is this how you're going to burn down your husband's house? The rice you set on fire is already burning. Kemi yelled in the living room.

“I'm coming!"

CHAPTER TWO
"Yes, yes." We can begin by…Let's say 9 p.m.; I believe everyone should be present by then. Alright, thank you," Fisayo stated before hanging up the phone.

"That was the choreographer o, Rolake. He asked when he should come, so I said 9 p.m. Everyone should be around by then na abi; how far Richard's friends? Are they all around?" "I don't even know; let me call him and ask. Shey, you told the guy it was simply easy dance steps, nothing too hard.”

"Ah before nko, which kain complicated dance steps we wan dey learn by this time when the wedding is tomorrow. Make one person no dey go south, another dey go north" They both busted out laughing.

“Aunty Rolake, mummy is calling you!" Remi, Rolake's younger sister, announced as she entered the room.

“Oh, for what again, na? She's called me around a hundred times today. This is why I rented a hotel room, because I know you people won't let anyone relax. Tell her I'm coming.

“Come fast, oo. Uncle Tunde has just arrived and has something to ask of you. Mummy said you should come and greet him.”

"Uncle Tunde?" Did he come with a big mummy?"

“No, he came with his wife"

“Ah, thank God. Tell her I'm coming.

“Okay," Remi responded, exiting the room.

"Wetin happen? You no wan greet your big mummy, ni?" Abeg, that woman wahala too much, which is why I want to run away fro
this house before they all arrive. I'm not in the mood for,

“Is this Rolake of yesterday? You were this small the last time I saw you, you were still in diapers, and I gave you your first bath," Rolake repeated in an imitating tone.

Fisayo couldn't stop giggling, "I swear, you no get sense."

“Make I rush pack abeg"

"Sha don't forget anything oo, I'm already busy as it is, I'm not coming back here to pick anything for you." Fisayo remarked this as she stood to leave too

“You dey commot?" Rolake asked

“I've never collected my hair. The hair vendor told me her dispatch hasn’t reached her because he is caught in traffic.”

“She no fit use another person?"

“Wo, I don even tell am make she no worry I go come carry am by myself before I start hearing stories. The girl wey wan help me style am sef na 6 p.m I give am, I no sabi how I wan take do myself like this.”

"Where you dey go pick am bayi?"

“Na around airport road"

“Talking about airport, let me call Richard to ask him if all his friends have landed safely"

"Call am oo, so everyone go dey around for the rehearsal"

"Babe".

“Yeah baby, what's up?" Richard replied.

“I was wondering if all of your friends were around. I remember you saying that not everyone couldn’t take the same flight, correct?

“Yes, everyone is here except Daniel. He should be landing soon. I'm about to leave now to go pick him at the airport.”

“Like right now? I thought you wanted to go pick up your dad’s cousins at the park.

“Honestly, I don't know anymore. I'm trying to get someone to do that for me."

“Won't it be insulting if you don't show up and send someone instead?You know what? Fisayo is actually headed to that side now to pick up something; maybe she can stop by the airport.”

“Really? That would be fantastic."

“All right, baby. Just send me a picture so she will be able to recognize him, and also inform your friend that she will be coming."

“Help me thank Fisayo, I really appreciate"

“Okay, babe" Rolake remarked as she dropped the call.

"Wetin I wan go do for airport?" Fisayo questioned

“Richard's friend. His flight will land soon, and he wants someone to pick him up. Since you are going to that side, you can help pick him up, na abi.

“Shey, no be the one wey go dey delay person for airport. There are plenty of things I need to do.”

“No now, by the time you go get your wig and drive back, he should be there"

“No wahala, if I get late to the rehearsal sha no vex. Make we just shift the bridal shower till late at night because we never sabi when we go learn dance finish.”

“Just keep me updated. I will be heading to the hotel now too”

“Okay, see you”

“Yeah bye”

"Where is this guy na, na why I dey tire for all these abroad people, mtcheewww?" Fisayo mumbled as she searched around for the person she was to meet.

A motorist behind her honked at her as she slowed to check.

“Oga space dey wey you fit pass! No horn for my ear!"

“Na werey you be! Ashawo!!" The driver cursed as he drove by her.

"Na, your mama be Ashawo! All your sisters for una family, idiot!!!"
She shouted in frustration.

“Can you imagine the fool? It’s not your fault if it weren't for the bozo who doesn't know where he is. Mtcheewww"

Fisayo picked up the phone, frustrated, to contact Daniel. "Hello, may I ask where you said you are? I'm at the entryway now and can't see you. "I can't park here, oo abeg."

“I'm inside, near the entrance," Daniel responded with an American accent.

“You are inside, near the entrance" Fisayo repeated as she appeared plainly annoyed.

“Please come outside, I'm at the entrance," she stated before ending the conversation.

"Mtcheewww, I say make person come stand for entrance you dey talk you are close to the entrance"

A tall black young man who resembled him walked out of the airport with two baggage. Fisayo checked the image of him on her phone to be sure he was the one.

“He looks better in person, sha," she told herself as she honked at him.

Daniel moved closer to the car and signaled her to open the boot. Before taking the passenger seat, he placed his baggage in the boot.

"Hey," he said in a baritone voice that almost melted Fisayo's pent-up wrath.

“Hey," Fisayo said in a low, calm tone.

“I've gone through a lot of stress because of you this evening, just so you know" she said as she cranked the car engine.

“I beg to differ. You clearly directed me to wait at the entrance.”

“Which you didn't"

“I waited at the arrivals entrance. Holding a board or paper with my name written on it would have saved all the trouble, yes?"

"And why would I wait for you with a board or paper? Until about an hour ago, I had no idea I'd be picking someone up at the airport. You are not a business owner or an investor coming to the country; the least you could have done is wait at the entry so it is easier for both of us ehn." Fisayo was becoming increasingly agitated; the stress of the wedding was taking its toll on her.

“Well, just stop making it sound like my fault. You decided to wait outside.”

“What? I'm out there trying to get you to your hotel when I should be doing something else for myself or relaxing; at the very least, be thankful”

"Thankful for what? Richard would have picked me up anyway if he hadn't had other plans, or I could have taken a taxi!"

“You know it's not too late right, you can always get out from this car and take a taxi instead"

“Just…Just drive; and could you drive faster? Or you let me drive; I'm so exhausted, I need to rest"

“When you rent your own car, you can drive it the way you want"

“You're not even close to the speed limit. No surprise it took you so long to get to the airport. You are driving like my ninety-year-old grandmother."

"Oh, I see you are one of them, right? Who thinks men are better in stuff like this than women?”

“Don't even play that game now, I never said anything like that and I've seen great drivers who are women, you personally just don't know how to drive"

“I'm not even going to do this with you right now, I don't have that energy" Fisayo responded

“At least, you have a good foot mat, feels very soft and smooth even with my shoes on." Daniel muttered as he put his feet firmly against the car floor.

“What mat are you talking about?" Fisayo spoke absentmindedly.

She abruptly turned to him when she remembered something.

"Wait a minute, that can't be what I think it is," she remarked, laughing hysterically. "It definitely cannot be, it had better not be"

"Be what?" Isn't that a foot mat? Daniel said as he lifted his leg to check what he was stepping on.”

With a puzzled expression, he took it up with the tip of his finger.

Fisayo’s face turned red as she hit the brake suddenly

“Is…. Is that my wig?

Re: MAID OF HONOR- An Enemy To Lover Story by Mistressofjoy(f): 8:40pm On May 10
CHAPTER THREE

"Have you been stepping on my wig all along?! Fisayo fumed.

"How am I supposed to know? It was obviously on the floor."

"It was on the seat; I left it on the same seat you are seated, how could you not see it?"

"You think I am lying? Over a little wig?"

"Did you just say a little wig? You have got to be kidding me right now."

"You probably dropped it on the floor while believing it was on the seat. There was nothing on this seat when I came in," Daniel remarked with displeasure in his voice. 

*Fisayo had flung the wig unintentionally while on the phone with her stylist. It landed just at the tip of the seat before landing on the fall.*

"Do you know what? I have had enough. Just get out."

"What do you mean, get out? It's the middle of the road, and I have no idea where I am. I haven't been back in Nigeria in about twenty years."

"And I look like I care? Please get out of my car."

"You are serious?"

"Do you want me to push you out?"

"Alright, fine! God! This was the worst idea ever." Daniel shouted as he slammed the car door fiercely.
Fisayo zoomed off before he could say anything.

"My luggage!" You wouldn't let me carry my luggage! Oh, my God!! "What in the devil's incarnate...?"

"Ughhhh!!!!!!! I hate him." Fisayo shrieked as she walked into Rolake's hotel room.

"Babe, what's up? What happened?" Rolake stated, looking curious,

"I regret accepting to go pick up that annoying entitled mister know-it-all who thinks the world should revolve around him."

"You mean Daniel?"

"Who cares what his name is? As if I wasn't already stressed, he compounded it this evening. You had to see how he kept speaking to me in such a condescending tone, as if I owed him or was his slave, and he even had the audacity to step on my wig. He put his unclean leg, which had flown across the world without being washed, on my wig! The one I am supposed to wear on my head! On my Eleda."

"It must be a misunderstanding, darling; you both are just stressed. Daniel went straight to the airport after a forty-eight-hour procedure in the hospital; the lack of sleep, combined with the jet lag, must have left him on edge."

"Who isn't stressed, huh? I haven't had a good night's sleep in as long as I can remember, but I don't go around upsetting everyone, especially someone who is trying to help. Being tired or anxious is not an explanation for his behavior this evening; he is just a nasty person."

"My man! Thank you for making it, guy. It actually means a lot."Richard welcomed Daniel with an embrace

"It's nothing bro, we are brothers!"

"So, what are you thinking? Missed Nigeria?"

"Mehn, it's great to be back. So much has changed, and yet nothing has actually changed. It simply feels different, like home."

"Home will always be home, bro," Richard remarked, smiling. He appeared to search around for something abruptly.

"Where's your luggage man?"

Daniel scoffed. "My luggage? Trust me, you don't want to know. If I hadn't met Rolake a few times and knew she was a great person, I would have encouraged you to reconsider walking down that aisle tomorrow. What is the name of the girl you call her best friend now?

"Fisayo?"

"Yes, it's her. Daniel said, "She showed me shege," with an American accent that made the word seem weird.

"Speak English abeg my guy" Richard replied, bursting into laughter.

"She showed me living horror. You won't believe she dropped me in the middle of the road because of a wig."

"You mean she didn't bring you here?"

"I took a taxi here man"

"That is crazy. Fisayo is actually a very sweet person. There must have been a misunderstanding or something. So she took your bags with her?"

"As you can see"

"Let me call Rolake, and we'll see how we can get your luggage to the hotel. Let's go in; the boys are waiting."

"Fisayo, you took his luggage with you?" Rolake stated as she ended the conversation.

"What luggage?"

"Daniel's luggage!"

"Oh, that? I forgot."

"Fisayoooo"

"What? I was too upset to recall his luggage was in my boot. If I had waited an extra minute, I would have cut off his head."

"Nawa for you, oo. How are we going to get it to him now? The man is only with his phone."

"I don't know, and I don't care"

"Well, there's no other option, you have to go and give it to him"

"What? No, I cannot stand him."

"So what about his clothes and other necessities that is sitting inside your boot"

"He could walk naked for all I care"

"Actually, I just remembered, we will be seeing them soon in about an hour for the rehearsal; you can just give it to him then."

"The rehearsal! I completely forgot about that. Where's this gal, sef? She told me she was close around 20 minutes ago. Please she should let me know whether I can still use the wig or something.

"You know this situation between you and Daniel is giving me a certain vibe" Rolake teased

"Don't even start; don't bring your foolish writer's instinct or whatever into this now. There is no way I'm standing for even one minute to talk to him again.

"All right, you won't be standing, but you will be dancing. Have you forgotten that you'll be dancing together tomorrow?

"Why will I dance with him when the best man is there"

"Well, it was your idea for the chief bridesmaid to make an entry with the best man first while the others follow and the best man just happens to be your sworn enemy, Daniel." Rolake remarked, smirking.

"He's the best man?!"

"She's the what?" Daniel couldn't believe his ears!

"You heard me, sir. She is the chief bridesmaid. Rolake and her are great friends, so who else will be the maid of honor? So I hope you two can work out your differences and make this work.

"You don't understand... there's nothing to settle; we don't agree, and we will not. Not in this life or ever!

"There's no way I'm dancing with him Rolake, never!" Fisayo said firmly
Re: MAID OF HONOR- An Enemy To Lover Story by Mistressofjoy(f): 8:41pm On May 10
CHAPTER FOUR

"Babe, the choreographer is at the hotel, so let's go meet him. I've asked the other girls to wait for us downstairs. Fisayo announced to Rolake, who had just come out of the shower.

"Oh, that’s good. Did you also call Ranti?”

"Call her yourself, please; she is your cousin, not mine. I'm not sure why she's one of your bridesmaids. We both don't like her, especially me.”

What was I to do, huh? She almost called a family meeting because I did not include her at first. This girl told her mother, who contacted my own mother and began shouting about how I valued friends over family and how their mother, my late grandmother, will be turning in her grave.”

“Turning in her grave for not making a bridesmaid. Fisayo giggled, "I’m sure your grandmother has better things to do."

“She’s just like her mom in terms of drama and entitlement. I've never met someone as entitled as her and her mother. How many years she take senior my mama, that she insists we call her "big mummy" Rolake stated, quoting the air as she said big mummy.

“Wetin me I sha know be say if she carry her nonsense pick me or wanna be behavior near me she go collect"

"No make anybody collect for my wedding, abeg Fisayo, cause I know you. Just play nice, okay?"

“Nice? Ah, okay. I hear you; are you ready?"

"Yes, let's go" Rolake and Fisayo went downstairs to the hotel

“Oyaaaa latest bride to be!!!!" Tayo yelled as she spotted Rolake from the stairwell, beaming with joy. Tayo was Rolake's close colleague at work; they met at nysc camp and then worked together.
As soon as they saw Rolake, the others joined in.

"Soon to become Mrs! Congratulations, my dear, I'm so happy for you," Ada exclaimed as she held Rolake passionately.

Rolake and Ada became friends through their mothers, who were closest friends; one would have expected the two to grow up to be best friends as well, but Ada left Nigeria when she was eight, returning only a few years ago to take over her mother's business.

“Congrats, cousin. Ahan Fisayo, it's been a while oo," Ranti added.

“Right" Fisayo gave a phony smile.

"And I like these your Hermes slippers o. I was going to get one for myself, but the way the thing is just everywhere these days, person no go fit tell fake from original." Ranti began giggling, but stopped when none of the other girls joined her.

“Erm, we're running late, gals; the boys are waiting at their hotel. Let's go," Rolake replied, swiftly dragging Fisayo away before she could say anything.

“Did you see that? Do you see what I was saying? That is the person you want me to play nice with. I swear to God, she'll have what she's looking for soon enough." Fisayo was furious.

“Just ignore her, for my sake, before she carry my matter go meet council of family elders.”

Richard hugged Rolake fiercely, saying, "Babbyyyyyyyyy"

"Babe….. I can't believe I'm still missing you while we're so near. Rolake muttered, still in his arms.

“Don't worry, by this time tomorrow, you're officially Mrs. Rolake Smith."

“Ah, you missed one oo. Mrs. Rolake Ademola Smith, I told you I was keeping my father's name.”

“Whatever my queen wants," Richard answered

"There is no chance for us singles, is there? You people should hurry up and get downstairs. The others are waiting; Rolake and I just came upstairs to see whether you were ready as well. The choreographer has also been blowing my phone off."

“Sorry Fisayo, and thank you for everything so far."

“It's what I should do, I mean you are snatching my bestie away from me now, I should send her off the best way I can"

"Where's the choreographer sef?" Rolake asked.

“He's waiting at the bar"

“Let's go, the guys are outside in the hallway," Richard said as they walked out of his hotel room.

"My guyyyy... Congratulations again, guy." Felix, Richard's cousin, greeted him.

“Felix, it's good to see you" Rolake greeted

“Rolake baby, good to see you too, congratulations" Felix said as they hugged briefly.

“Thank you cousin-in-law"

“Cousin-in-law, ke? That one go far, oo." Felix teased and they all laughed.

“Meet Alfred, my coworker. You call him sometimes while I'm on duty, remember?"

"Yes, yes. It's nice to finally meet you, Alfred. Thank you for coming.” Rolake met with a handshake.

"The feeling is mutual, congratulations on your wedding"

“Thank you"

“Also, Tomiwa my college friend, you've met him briefly"

“Yes I have, it's nice to see you again"

“Same here, congratulations"

“Thank you"

“And last but not least, Daniel. He doesn't require an introduction; you both know each other."

“Congratulations Rolake"

“Thank you, Daniel....And this is my best friend, Fisayo. The other girls are below; you will meet them soon.”

"Nice to meet you" Fisayo greeted Felix, Tomiwa and Alfred with a handshake, totally ignoring Daniel.

“We've already met," she said with an attitude. "Okay, boys! "Shall we?" Richard asked.

"Where are we using by the way?" Rolake inquired as they all walked downstairs.

“I spoke with the manager and he was kind enough to give us the VIP room in the lounge to use for like an hour"

“Trust me, he's not that generous. He only did that because you booked a couple of their presidential suites," Rolake explained.

“I know right…. And he will still ask for something for the boys later" Fisayo said.

Ranti's eyes expanded with admiration when Rolake and her companions approached them.

"Who is that hot looking dude" Ranti said, nearly drooling

“Which one of them?" Tayo asked, gazing attentively.

“What do you mean which one of them? Who among them is looking like a hot, spicy snack?”

"Rantiiiii…. Na bridesmaid you come do oo."

“It doesn't matter; a bridesmaid will one day become a bride, and in order to do so, she must first find a groom.”

“So you don see groom so be that?"

“Just dey look"

"Hey, guys, meet Ranti and Tayo. Ranti is my cousin, and Tayo is a close colleague at work. There’s one more…”

"Nice to meet you" Ranti interrupted Rolake as she went straight for Daniel's hand, smiling broadly.

Fisayo could not help but roll her eyes at Ranti.

"She don't start," she mumbled.”

Where's…?" Rolake asked.

“She went to make a call" Tayo answered.

“This girl and business call all the time, Sha. Let's all head to the bar; the choreographer is already waiting."

There was loud throbbing sound of music playing throughout the bar. Fisayo looked around the room for the choreographer, who was sitting near the bar. "

“That's him!" She yelled through the loud music as she walked up to him.

“Hi, I apologize for keeping you waiting. We needed to collect everyone first.

“It's no problem, are we good to go now?"

"Yes, everyone is here"

“Where are we going to use this? It's really noisy here."

“We have already arranged for a lounge. Let's go.”

The choreographer nodded and took a final sip of his drink before joining Fisayo.

"Ah, this is much better, that noise was already giving me headache" Rolake stated that as they all entered the room, shutting the noise behind them.

“Okay! Everyone can stand with their partner, so let's from start there.”

Ranti ran to stand near Daniel, using subtle moves to make her more attractive.

“Ranti, Daniel is the best man and he will be dancing with Fisayo the maid of honor" Rolake announced, attempting to mask her annoyance.

“To be honest, this is the first time I am willing to give in to Ranti. I do not want to dance with him." Fisayo whispered to Rolake.

"You do not have a choice, my dear friend. You are both adults; if you do not resolve your differences, no one will be okay."

“Fine!"

“Okay, everyone with their partner now" Ranti grudgingly stood by Alfred, watching Fisayo occupy the position she desired so much.

“I should have told mummy to fight for the maid of honor position for me" she blurted out

Tayo stood with Felix, leaving Tomiwa without a companion.

“One person is missing?" The choreographer asked

"Where's this girl na?" Rolake called Ada on the phone.
“Babe where you dey na?"

“I'm back where we were waiting for you guys. I can’t find anyone here and was about to call." Ada explained

"We are in the VIP lounge inside the bar. Simply ask someone to direct you.

“Okay, I'm coming"

“She went back to where the guys were before. She's on her way," Rolake informed the others.

After a few minutes, Ada arrived at the lounge and slowly opened the door to be sure she was in the right location.

“We are here" Fisayo remarked as she noticed Ada.

“Oh, sorry guys, the call was important," Ada explained as she closed the door behind her.

Daniel, who had been on his phone throughout, eventually raised his head. He seemed astonished when he spotted Ada and carefully stood up, checking to see whether it was her.

“Ada?" He asked in disbelief.

"Daniel?" Ada replied, also appearing shocked. "

0You know each other?" Richard asked.

“No," Daniel said firmly, looking irritated.

“Yes," Ada responded slowly, with a guilty expression. They had both responded at the same time, making the entire group curious.

"I'm sorry, guys, but I can't do this right now. I can't stay in the same room with her," Daniel muttered, taking his leave angrily.

“Daniel! Daniel!!" Ada called, holding back tears as she turned to follow him.
Re: MAID OF HONOR- An Enemy To Lover Story by Mistressofjoy(f): 9:26pm On May 10
CHAPTER FIVE

"Allow me; I'll talk to him. I'm not sure what happened between the two of you, but the Daniel I know would not listen to anything you said right now. Richard said as stopped Alex.

Richard called as he hurried after Daniel. "Daniel! Daniel!! Guy, what happened? What is wrong? Why you commot like that?" Richard spoke as he finally caught up with Daniel.

“I’m so pissed right now, man”

“What is the problem? How do you know each other?"

“She’s my ex”

"Your ex?! Wow!! Why don't I know her? I haven't seen you dating anyone.”

“This was before we met. Remember that night we met at the club, and I was pretty drunk."

“Yeah I remember that night”

“It was that day she left me”

“That’s like five years ago, things like this happen, why are you still so hurt about it?”

"You don't understand, she wasn't just anybody. She was my fiancée, and we were going to get married. The day we were supposed to go check out the apartment we were going to live in following our wedding, she ghosted me."

“Ghosted you?” 

"Yes, she vanished into thin air. I couldn't reach her phone, her flat was empty, and none of her friends knew where she was. She vanished without a word. If I hadn't gone to her apartment to find out everything was empty and met her landlady, who confirmed she moved out, I would have thought she was kidnapped."

“Damn, that's...that's serious."

“I spent an entire year trying to reach her. She blocked me from all of her social media accounts; I opened new ones to speak with her, but she blocked them again. At some point, I wasn't even begging her to return; I just wanted to know why, and what I had done wrong. What happened? I needed the closure to move on”

And now, after five good years, I'm finally over it, and she reappears."

“I had no idea you went through such a phase like that. I knew you were going through a heartbreak when we met at the club because of the way you were drinking like you were dying, but I hadn't expected it to be so awful. I mean, you never talked about it either, and I didn't want to remind you of something you were trying so hard to forget, so I didn't ask.”

“It was something I couldn't discuss at the time, and when I eventually could, it didn't matter anymore. I gave myself the closure I needed, I knew I loved her with all of my heart. Whatever decision she made was solely on her."

“Why did you storm out angrily then if you are over it ehn”

“Seeing her again just reminded me of my rage and pain from the past. I'm sorry I ruined the rehearsal; it's your wedding, and I shouldn't have brought my own feelings into it."

“No, do not say that. It's completely fine, and you have every right to feel whatever feelings you're experiencing right now. As you mentioned, she made the decision to go, so it’s her responsibility; don't let it ruin things for you any further, okay?" Richard replied as he gently stroked his friend's back.

“Thanks man, I appreciate”

"So…. Can we go back in now? We need to learn those moves tonight for tomorrow."

"Sure! Let’s do that” Daniel sighed deeply.

"Very sorry for the delay, people! There was a little bit of an issue, but everything is fine now, and we can begin." Richard announced as they returned to the lounge.

Daniel moved passed Alex, completely disregarding her, and stood beside Fisayo.

“Can we put what happened behind us and try to make this work? We have just tonight to get this right” Daniel said as he suggested a truce to Fisayo

“Do I have a choice? Let’s just get done with it” Fisayo said as she took his hand reluctantly

“Just so you know, I still think you are annoying and I don’t like you” Fisayo said further

“Well… thanks for pointing that out. You are the first person to find me annoying though”

“Maybe I’m the only one honest to call you out on your bs.. don’t you think?”

“You know I’m still wondering what I did so wrong to get in your bad books. Still can’t place my finger on it so maybe you are the one who’s just been dramatic, yeah?”

“Shut up before I step on your foot!”

Alex's stare was fixed on Daniel during the rehearsal, and Daniel did his best to avoid meeting her gaze. Fisayo could sense the tension between them, which piqued her curiosity.

“Is everything okay between the two of you?”Fisayo asked as they continued to dance.

“What do you mean?” Daniel replied.

“I mean, you guys had a bit of drama not long ago and she hasn’t taken her eyes off you since we started.”

“I don’t know what you are talking about”

“There’s clearly something between you guys, what do you mean you don’t know?”

“How is your wig? Still good?" Daniel digressed and tried to change the topic.

“You just had to remind me didn’t you?”

“I’m sorry about your wig but I really didn’t put it on the floor, trust me”

"I don't trust you, but I accept your apologies. I'm only accepting because my stylist said I can still wear the wig, otherwise ehn."

“Don’t worry, I can get you another one”

"Oshey, rich man. That's what you do to get the girls over there, abi. You step on their wigs and offer to buy another one.”

Daniel giggled. "Funny how you assume I walk around stepping on people's wigs. By the way, did you bring my suitcases?"

“Which suitcases? I threw them off the road in anger the other time."

“You did what?!” Daniel stopped abruptly.

“I’m just kidding joor, it’s right where you left it in my boot”

“That’s one expensive joke”

“Now I’m really curious about what’s inside for you to react that way”

“Nothing special, just my clothes and other necessities”

“Hmmm" Fisayo regarded him with distrust.

"Mmmhhh hmmm," Daniel said reassuringly.

"Okay, guys!That’s it!! The choreographer declared, "You just need to follow the arrangement tomorrow and you are good," and everyone clapped and cheered.

“Omo, I don tire. Make I find where
to sleep before we go wake for bridal shower again," Ranti remarked as she gulped down a glass of water.

"Sleep? You're not going to pursue the man who has caught your eye again?" Tayo teased

"Pursue Wetin? You didn't see the short drama that happened before we started rehearsing the other time? Ahhh, man vex commot like that when he see woman. It just implies one thing, my dear: na him ex be that wey do am strong thing na why he still dey vex.”

“Ehn, no be ex she be"

“No be the issue be that. The fact that he became angry and walked away shows that he still hung up on her. I don't have the strength to pursue a man who is still stuck in his previous relationship; so road don block for hin side already like that. Even the babe sef, see the way she dey look Fisayo when she dey dance with am; if she see gun that moment she go shoot am straight.”

“So you don give up like that”

“Give up, ke? Na who give up Bleep up? I no give up on my search; I just give up on the guy. As we dey dance that time, I felt something for that Alfred guy, but this one, he lives in the states, I'm not sure I can do long distance."

"Dance of how many minutes, you don feel something for another guy now now. Come dey go, you need that sleep” Tayo remarked

“See you tomorrow guys!” Rolake and her friends bad Richard and his group goodbye.

"Girls, let's go. We still have bridal shower like this, and we need to get enough sleep so we don't wake up with puffy faces tomorrow,"
Fisayo said.

They all went in different directions as they exited the bar.

“Daniel! "Can I speak with you for a second?" Alex called.

“Ermmm sorry, I need to get something from Fisayo quickly.” Daniel replied trying to avoid the conversation with Alex

“Fisayo, my suitcases” he said as he turned to Fisayo

“Oh yeah, follow me” Fisayo replied, Daniel followed quickly as he was glad he could find a way to get away from Alex. The last thing he wanted to do at the moment was talk to her, Alex stood still as she watched Daniel leave with Fisayo.

“That’s your luggage and I didn’t touch anything inside okay?”

“I’m not going to accuse you of theft don’t worry, maybe something else but not theft”

“And what’s that something else?”

“Don't worry, and thank you for keeping my bags. And regarding my attitude earlier today, I was harsh to you, you took your time to come pick me up at the airport, I should have done better, I’m sorry."

“It's fine; I was on also edge because of the wedding stress . I apologize for leaving you in the middle of the road”

“So we good?” Daniel asked to reaffirm

“Sure, we're fine," they said, shaking hands and smiling.

“Alright then, good night Daniel”

“Goodnight Fisayo” Daniel stepped back inside the hotel, pulling his two suitcases and smiling. His smile evaporated as soon as he noticed Alex waiting for him at the reception.

He walked beside her, completely ignoring her presence, as he made his way inside.

“Daniel, I need to speak to you. I won't leave until I speak with you," she stated forcefully.

“You know what? You wanna talk?Sure, let's talk," Daniel responded, setting his baggage aside and walking towards Alex.

“Let’s talk in your room” Alex suggested

“No, we're doing it right here. I'm listening.”

“Really? Is this how you are going to treat me?"

“Will you talk or not? I have stuff to do.”

“Look Daniel, I know you are angry about how I left five years ago but I can explain”

“Daniel scoffed. "Explain? Don’t you think it's too late for an explanation now? When I needed an explanation, when I was going crazy trying to find you to get you to talk to me, you didn't hesitate to block me everywhere; now you want to explain five years later?"

“It’s not what you think Daniel, I swear”

"To think I was looking for you everywhere, including your friends, the locations we visited together, your employment, and your favorite places! You had me running all over cities in New York but you've been in Nigeria all along?”

“I didn't have a choice, okay! I had to leave. My mother was dying, and there was no one to look after the company; I had to come in and take over. There was no way things could have progressed farther between us. I had to leave, but you needed to stay; you were just in your fellowship year at the hospital, and you couldn't leave everything behind."

“And you didn't think it appropriate to tell me? You didn't believe we could sit down and talk things out.
You did not trust me enough to handle the matter.

“I couldn't bear to confront you. We were going to get married, I had met your parents, and we planned to visit Nigeria to meet my relatives. We had it all planned out, how was I to tell you we couldn’t get married anymore because I was coming back to Nigeria. I couldn't face you or your parents, knowing it might not work. There was no way we could make it work with the two of us living across the world from each other, and my mother's illness didn't appear to be getting better anytime soon, so I couldn't guarantee you anything."

“We could have postponed the wedding, we could have just tried doing long distance till it was possible for either of us to join the other but no, you decided to run away, you decided to disappear because that was the best decision?”

"I am sorry, Daniel. I know I hurt and disappointed you. I haven't been able to stop feeling guilty since I left. I never would have thought of meeting you here in Nigeria, at my friend's wedding of all places; it must be fate attempting to offer me a second shot at forgiveness.

“No Alex, you only felt any bit of guilt because you saw me and for the records, Richard's wedding brought me here, not fate. So you wanted to apologize; that's what this was about, right? It's okay; I forgive you.”

“You do? For real? Do you mean it?” Alex's face lit up.

“Yes, can I leave now? I need to meet up with the boys.”

“Sure, we’ll see tomorrow, goodnight," Alex said, smiling. She watched Daniel walk away, thrilled by how their conversation went.

“I knew you still had something for me, Daniel. Don't worry, I'll make sure we get back to how we used to be, if not better." She said to herself before turning to leave

"Where have you been, Alex? We had arrived at the hotel before we noticed you didn't leave with us. Rolake inquired.

“I had something to take care of”

“We waited for you at the rehearsal, we had to wait again for the bridal shower” Fisayo remarked

“I just mentioned that I had stuff to do. Do you have a problem? The bride obviously doesn't; the last time I checked, it's not your wedding." Alex spoke in a condescending attitude.

“Excuse me?” Fisayo was having none of it.

"Babes, wetin happen? Make una calm down, abeg." Ranti intervened.

“Na me, she dey follow talk like that? Rolake, you dey hear? Na me be it’s not your wedding” Fisayo said

"Ah and one more thing" Alex continued as she moved closer to Fisayo, whispering in her ears. “Careful with your little dance with Daniel, you don’t want people to get a wrong idea about you two, you might just finally be able to get a man of your own tomorrow, you don’t wanna ruin your chances by clinging too much to someone else’s”

“I beg your pardon?!”

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Curb Writer's Block (cont'd)? / Look This Up On Amazon / Book Review: Everything Good Will Come By Sefi Atta.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.