Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,766 members, 7,837,766 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 10:36 AM

The More I Put Money In My Business, The More Unprofitable It Is -Petty Trader - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The More I Put Money In My Business, The More Unprofitable It Is -Petty Trader (15311 Views)

Bet9ja Agents Lament ‘unprofitable’ New Target Policy / Petty Theft At Shoprite Checkout Points, My Experience / Sick And Tired Of Unprofitable Internet Businesses? Try This And Leap For Joy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The More I Put Money In My Business, The More Unprofitable It Is -Petty Trader by Bobloco: 8:04am On May 11
Petty traders in the creeks of the Niger Delta are not smiling. Heavy blows of pump price increase and naira depreciation both results of unfriendly economic policies of the Nigerian government are their torment.

Although her children are grown up and married, Mrs Pat Amajatoja has her retired husband and herself to cater for. Being in her late 50s, she also has to keep body and soul together by engaging in one trade or the other. She sells articles like biscuits, groundnuts, sweets, and the like under an umbrella in the heart of Warri.

“My name is Pat Amajatoja, I’m from Warri South Local Government Area, Delta State. I am married and have six grown up children. I am close to 60 years.

“I just started this business about a year ago. I was previously selling fish in the market and I also owned a provision shop at Ekpan, Uvwie Local Government Area.

“I had to leave Ekpan and my business because of the incessant crisis in the community. I don’t have a small child, as all my children are married with kids.

“I am living with my husband here in Warri. My husband is very old and he has retired, so this business is what we are using to sustain ourselves. But the business is tiring with the increase of prices of things in the market,” she lamented.

With her aged husband and herself to cater for, the economic downturn in the country is threatening their means of livelihood and she cannot keep sealed lips.

“You can see the things I am selling which include groundnuts, mangoes, tapioca and biscuits. With these wares, you will agree that what I make a day is very meager, but I have no choice.

“I cannot sit at home idle, and that is why I am out here hustling. I put money into this business every month, but it seems the more I am putting money, the more unprofitable it is becoming because of the increase in prices of every commodity in the market.

“Sometimes, I buy cartons of biscuits and I will make only N100 profit. As for the tapioca, this size (holding a small-size tapioca) was not up to N20 before, but now, it is sold for N100. Eat 10 wraps of this, you won’t be satisfied!

“As a trader, what I spend is more than what I make from my business. I buy a carton of biscuits for N4,000 today and a month later, the cost price rises to N6,000.

“When I complain, the person I complain to will also complain that that was the price she bought it,” Mrs Amajatoja further lamented.

She wondered why the government at various levels hardly paid attention to the suffering and cry of the common man.

“Government is well aware of what to do to ease the suffering of the masses. People complain everyday, but they have chosen to pay deaf ears to people’s complaints and tears.

“Even with that, I will still plead with them to have mercy on the poor.

“How can I take N6,000 to the market to buy foodstuff and come back home with a sad expression because I can’t make sense of what I spent my money on?

“So, tell the government to please do something, and urgently, too, before things get out of hand. The poor are dying in instalments out of hunger and privation. Tell them ordinary Nigerians are dying by the day,” she pleaded.

https://tribuneonlineng.com/the-more-i-put-money-in-my-business-the-more-unprofitable-it-is/

5 Likes

Re: The More I Put Money In My Business, The More Unprofitable It Is -Petty Trader by CodeTemplar: 8:39am On May 11
Buy a cartoon of biscuit N4000 make N100 profit and it is now N6000. That's N1900 lost to differentials.

84 Likes 6 Shares

Re: The More I Put Money In My Business, The More Unprofitable It Is -Petty Trader by Jflex07(m): 8:48am On May 11
Tinubu does not know what government entails.

60 Likes

Re: The More I Put Money In My Business, The More Unprofitable It Is -Petty Trader by helinues: 9:08am On May 11
Perhaps, your line of business is not what people needs but wants

2 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The More I Put Money In My Business, The More Unprofitable It Is -Petty Trader by ElevationD: 9:13am On May 11
helinues:

So simple to assume.
Can you differentiate between “need” and “want” please?

96 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The More I Put Money In My Business, The More Unprofitable It Is -Petty Trader by Zonefree(m): 9:15am On May 11
helinues:
Ishi azu, loan her money to start business of what people needs.

116 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The More I Put Money In My Business, The More Unprofitable It Is -Petty Trader by Vinnie2000(m): 9:18am On May 11
Hmmm,

That's the case of many Businesses in Nigeria since the Devillish Party called APC came to power in 2015. embarassed undecided

Purchasing Power of Nigerians are now low, hence many Businesses are struggling.
Even if your Business booms, your Profits will be used to buy Inflated food and household items in the market.😕😒

E no go better for Buhari, Tinibu and their YEYE supporters! sad

63 Likes 7 Shares

Re: The More I Put Money In My Business, The More Unprofitable It Is -Petty Trader by helinues: 9:20am On May 11
ElevationD:

So simple to assume.
Can you differentiate between “need” and “want” please?

Needs are essentials/priorities while wants are secondary

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The More I Put Money In My Business, The More Unprofitable It Is -Petty Trader by Zonefree(m): 9:27am On May 11
Vinnie2000:

Just Ignore that Hellanus fellow. He is still a Dependant in his Parents House. undecided

A 35 yr old Ogbori, who still eats from his Mummy's pot. embarassed

Ask him how much is a Paint Rubber of Garri or Carton of Indomie, he won't know because he has NEVER handled such basic Responsibilities. sad
I think the parents should be blamed here. Why are they comfortable harbouring a 35 year old man in their home? Why are they facilitating laziness and irresponsibility? They should be arrested!

46 Likes

Re: The More I Put Money In My Business, The More Unprofitable It Is -Petty Trader by alizma: 9:37am On May 11
Then reduce your investment maybe that will increase your profit. That is, your business need reverse method of approach.
On a serious note, the problem might be because much is being taken from the business for personal use such as feeding, clothing, medicine etc from a small and young business of that nature.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The More I Put Money In My Business, The More Unprofitable It Is -Petty Trader by LadyExcellency: 9:43am On May 11
Have you checked the law of diminishing returns to eliminate the factors contributing to the outcome?

1 Like

Re: The More I Put Money In My Business, The More Unprofitable It Is -Petty Trader by ElevationD: 10:04am On May 11
helinues:

Needs are essentials/priorities while wants are secondary

Please with the description of the items in her small shop, can you single out the essentials, priorities and secondary?

17 Likes

Re: The More I Put Money In My Business, The More Unprofitable It Is -Petty Trader by Vinnie2000(m): 10:26am On May 11
alizma:
Then reduce your investment maybe that will increase your profit. That is, your business need reverse method of approach.
On a serious note, the problem might be because much is being taken from the business for personal use such as feeding, clothing, medicine etc from a small and young business of that nature.

Bro, I have my Business, so I understand the Woman perfectly. undecided

Years back before Buhari and his DISASTER brother Tinibu came, When you make profit in your business, you could save it well. smiley

In Warri then, We heard of Akara and Bole women who used their Profit Savings to train their children in UNIBEN and Delsu, Abraka. shocked smiley

But now, any Profits you make in Business is used to buy Expensive Stuffs in the market. E.g. Garri. embarassed sad

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The More I Put Money In My Business, The More Unprofitable It Is -Petty Trader by Zooposki(f): 11:15am On May 11
Zonefree:

I think the parents should be blamed here. Why are they comfortable harbouring a 35 year old man in their home? Why are they facilitating laziness and irresponsibility? They should be arrested!

Just like the aged husband parasiting off his wife. I bet she is also doing all the housework. She better leave his lazy and broke ass behind instead of developing hypertension.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The More I Put Money In My Business, The More Unprofitable It Is -Petty Trader by drmikeadams(m): 11:17am On May 11
CodeTemplar:
Buy a cartoon of biscuit N4000 make N100 profit and it is now N6000. That's N1900 lost to differentials.

People never understand what is really going on yet?

5 Likes

Re: The More I Put Money In My Business, The More Unprofitable It Is -Petty Trader by Jokerman(m): 11:39am On May 11
Zonefree:

Benue and Kogi people no dey care

2 Likes

Re: The More I Put Money In My Business, The More Unprofitable It Is -Petty Trader by MaziObinnaokija: 12:20pm On May 11
sad
Re: The More I Put Money In My Business, The More Unprofitable It Is -Petty Trader by mankan2k7(m): 12:21pm On May 11
Pressure ti wa

Pressure everywhere

The masses are not smiling

The poor are not breathing again

The government suffocating the poor

3 Likes

Re: The More I Put Money In My Business, The More Unprofitable It Is -Petty Trader by dominique(f): 12:21pm On May 11
So none of their 6 grown-up children can pitch in and help their living conditions?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The More I Put Money In My Business, The More Unprofitable It Is -Petty Trader by Chisave: 12:22pm On May 11
Bh
Re: The More I Put Money In My Business, The More Unprofitable It Is -Petty Trader by Chisave: 12:22pm On May 11
Vhj
Re: The More I Put Money In My Business, The More Unprofitable It Is -Petty Trader by Available9: 12:23pm On May 11
Bobloco:

https://tribuneonlineng.com/the-more-i-put-money-in-my-business-the-more-unprofitable-it-is/
sell fried akara and yam...then thank me later ...just look for a busy bus stop like enerhen junction, sedico round about, or by the mother of the redeemer school

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The More I Put Money In My Business, The More Unprofitable It Is -Petty Trader by AllahOfterror: 12:23pm On May 11
embarassed

Good for an ancestor who thinks running a government is an easy task as running a drug cartel, drug empire and druggie businesses

Sorry Mma

6 Likes

Re: The More I Put Money In My Business, The More Unprofitable It Is -Petty Trader by Kobicove(m): 12:24pm On May 11
It is not only petty traders that are struggling, even big and established companies are also having it tough due to the downturn in the economy sad

7 Likes

Re: The More I Put Money In My Business, The More Unprofitable It Is -Petty Trader by Angelfrost(m): 12:24pm On May 11
Nigerian Production and Commercial industries are dying at a rate that beggars belief...!

The economy has never been this hit by poor government policies.

Yet, you are talking about increasing and widening the tax net.

Who is going to pay such taxes and from where do they get the funds??!

4 Likes

Re: The More I Put Money In My Business, The More Unprofitable It Is -Petty Trader by Pussyisgud: 12:25pm On May 11
U all voted for arm robber so enjoy.

1 Like

Re: The More I Put Money In My Business, The More Unprofitable It Is -Petty Trader by mmadu5(m): 12:25pm On May 11
6 children and they allowed her to be selling petty things to survive . I would never allow my mom to work at that age . Useless children.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The More I Put Money In My Business, The More Unprofitable It Is -Petty Trader by Northernblood8(m): 12:25pm On May 11
A
Re: The More I Put Money In My Business, The More Unprofitable It Is -Petty Trader by Eriokanmi: 12:25pm On May 11
Remember this fact...we're in Tinubu's government, someone who is leading by propaganda and never prepared for the job.

A doctor friend whom I drove to his hotel last week from the airport told me this fact...
That in 2014, until early 2015, your naira in the bank was worth gold and at some point, naira and dollar rate both at the black and official markets were equal so, people hardly patronised the bank to get fx. I remember a day I was in Montreaux in Switzerland and inserted my ATM card in their machine and withdrew Swiss franc, their local but powerful currency. Our economy was under control with no stress. Gari seller never complained, transport companies stabilised their fares including airlines ticket for a pretty long time.

Today, the reverse is the case. All those who participated in bringing in this government of evil will meet their Waterloo, no be curse. Its a reality that's dawning on us all cos we go to same market and queue at petrol station to buy fuel on which he said subsidy is gone but they're even paying it now in trillions

In 2009, we bought 2 Toyota corolla cars from metropolitan motors, brand new though manual transmission at 2.2m each, even with some discount. Same car is worth several millions of naira today. Its even better to trade now in cotonou cfa, the currency that was once the worst in performance in Africa than trade in naira at the border. Yesterday, i read that naira is now a worst performing currency in africa and we're no more the largest economy in africa, despite our vast resources, population and the Mr magic in power.

The below are the causes

1- voting along the sentiment lines instead of merit. Omo wa nii, ęję o shee. When a candidate failed at home, what does that mean...that he'd done well to the members in the family? No! That alone is a bad omen in the last election but a lot of people were so myopic in nature.

2- corruption. When you have same group of corrupt old men in power, don't expect miracles. Status quo would be maintained. They don't know your family even though you voted them in, out of sentiments. You're OYO.

I took a contract recently and everyone in that ministry was calling me. Those whom I didn't even know when doing all the wahala. They said where person dey work, na there him dey chop so make i remember them. So, if I now remember everyone, what would be left for me and that's why many do a substandard job and nobody would gbemu cos they've been all settled and what's left could do nothing .

3- unproductive loan. Buhari had borrowed a hell of loans which were unproductive. The creditors don't take us seriously anymore. We keep borrowing and some have stopped giving . You borrowed to pay salary to ghost workers, execute contracts that have been inflated 4 times its actual cost and which they'd still abandon. The interest we pay on them is huge. In the end, money meant for real projects and development will be so lean.

4-Reckless spending of govt. Nigerian NA members are the highest-paid in the world. Don't expect anything reasonable, wherever such is happening. They're made up of former governors who have retired in senate after ruining their respective states while in power, economically. You came to power and added more ministries after you've committed the blunder of floating the naira and ending subsidy same time. Angola is a good example of a reasonable nation with a reasonable leader. They removed subsidy too but in piece meal, even with the palliatives already out in place before removing the subsidy gradually.

May I ask, where are the Tinubu's palliatives, one year after? Why is it only Nigeria that seems to be hardest hit by the global inflation as if we're the only country in africa, why not other African countries? Only in Nigeria will you see people protesting over common food. Whenever we say vote wisely, e get why. And these are the whys...

We're just suffering because of our own mistakes in this country. God has been kind to us. Its annoying when they say our naira was so bad cos we're less productive, because we import more. They should read the law of comparative advantage. There some stuffs we'd be importing till the end of the world and which wouldn't cause the naira to fall. Btw 1999 and early 2015, i wonder what we were producing when the naira was so strong. I wonder if we've stopped importing now, what we were importing then. To the best of my knowledge, we've even dropped some by producing them locally. We also export more now yet, the economy is in this terrible shape. When the world encountered a global melt down, we were not affected then, it was because we had a robust economic team in place. What has changed ? You can answer that.

Until we correct all these, we're still playing. God bless Nigeria.

16 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Steps To Become Your Own Boss And Control Your Finances / Cash Crunch: Rural Dwellers Resort To Trade By Barter / Total Plans To Sell Stake In Nigerian Oil Block

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.