Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,056 members, 7,845,447 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 05:56 PM

Naira Slumps, Exchanges At Over ₦‎1,500 Against Dollar - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Naira Slumps, Exchanges At Over ₦‎1,500 Against Dollar (12559 Views)

Shyngle: Herbert Wigwe’s Father Slumps, Rushed To Hospital / Naira Slumps Further, Exchanges For 473/$ / Naira Exchanges At N49-N51 Per Yuan At First Auction Of Chinese Currency In Nig (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naira Slumps, Exchanges At Over ₦‎1,500 Against Dollar by Ubdavis(m): 11:23am On May 14
It's not a matter of "God go help us". Na to do the right and get the desired result
Re: Naira Slumps, Exchanges At Over ₦‎1,500 Against Dollar by Blazetrailer: 11:24am On May 14
Very funny how these people throw the blame at Buhari. Naira was stupidly devalued by Tinubu without understanding the consequences. Besides, Tinubu has borrowed so much in less than a year compared to what Buhari did in his latter years and guess what? the Tinubu administration is still borrowing front the ways and means(printing of money) they castigated the Buharis government for. So where is this dim witted defence coming from?

cjrane:
Nothing we can do now. We have to go through this storm and naira will finally stabilize at some point.

What we are observing are the fruits of mindless borrowing and printing of money that was the hallmark of Buhari's regime. Unfortunately, these things take time to manifest and Tinubu is the unlucky guy in power when the effects of those economic crimes by Buhari are now manifesting.

2 Likes

Re: Naira Slumps, Exchanges At Over ₦‎1,500 Against Dollar by edungene7: 11:25am On May 14
cjrane:
Nothing we can do now. We have to go through this storm and naira will finally stabilize at some point.

What we are observing are the fruits of mindless borrowing and printing of money that was the hallmark of Buhari's regime. Unfortunately, these things take time to manifest and Tinubu is the unlucky guy in power when the effects of those economic crimes by Buhari are now manifesting.
You are a bloody lier will you keep quiet Buhari in all is cluelessness did not float the naira and remove subsidy at the same time stop dishing lies because of 30k stippend that can't feed you for a week now

3 Likes

Re: Naira Slumps, Exchanges At Over ₦‎1,500 Against Dollar by khattab02: 11:27am On May 14
Is this the ReNewed Hope?

1 Like

Re: Naira Slumps, Exchanges At Over ₦‎1,500 Against Dollar by edungene7: 11:30am On May 14
ebufa:

what the government should do is to stabilize the dollar at near or around the 1500 mark....instead of wasting forex defending the purchase of pencils and private jets...not to talk of the pack of religious Nigerians travelling to waste our forex in Rome and Mecca! At 1500 to a dollar we can build from that gradually, at that point we can also attract a lot of forex inflows....but the government must get Nigeria back to work, flush out these foreign Fulani bandits and solve the agitation in the southeast once and for all!
I am certain you reason with your anus with an exchange rate of #1500 to a dollar in an import dependant economy how many days will your #30,000 naira stippend take you better gerrout of here

2 Likes

Re: Naira Slumps, Exchanges At Over ₦‎1,500 Against Dollar by Blazetrailer: 11:37am On May 14
Completely myopic.

First the nairas value is atill not determined by market forces. For the umpteenth time, naira is not floated. It was devalued. The supply is till being controlled and sometimes managed by CBN. To also think, Naira will suddenly regain its value with local exports and production and without curbing excessive corruption and spending which is losing to the high demand is completely being blind to the dynamics controlling the value of the Naira in Nigeria currently.. There are countries that import more than 150% of their GDP(according ti the world bank) and still have highly valued currencies compared to even the USD

These guys don't know what they are doing, simple.

Angelfrost:
The forces of demand and supply... Since lots of subsidy are no longer paid to prop it, it will collapse without high demands.

Without industrialization, diminished imports, and enhanced exportation, this demand for Naira will never happen.

1 Like

Re: Naira Slumps, Exchanges At Over ₦‎1,500 Against Dollar by dappydozzy(m): 11:47am On May 14
Lumarstone:
We have more economist in the classroom, professors for that matter, their wealth of knowledge are caged at our nation's university gate.

Is like those presiding over the economy of this country are people without economic mgt background. The economy seems to be getting worse on daily basis? Many Nigerians this days can't afford the high cost of medication in government owned federal medical centers. Inflation is at it's peak. What a country!

It is not a matter of economists in the university classroom , they possess no magic wand, even inflation is global. The reason we are having this problem is because we import virtually everything from raw materials to finished goods.
Re: Naira Slumps, Exchanges At Over ₦‎1,500 Against Dollar by grandstar(m): 12:08pm On May 14
cjrane:

Tinubu is trying to change things but some of his policies will not makes things better.

He isn't fighting inflation hard enough. The government has also resorted to ways and means to finance spending which is inflationary which may be the biggest reason for the present fall of the Naira.

His refusal to deregulate the price of petrol and electricity will only make things worse.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Slumps, Exchanges At Over ₦‎1,500 Against Dollar by Easybet1(m): 12:18pm On May 14
Curious345:
But Oppo is better than iPhone and samsung combined .I can tell this based on experience
No doubt, but if you are the type that can't keep phone for very long time, don't buy those products because you will keep wasting a lot of money.

I am a xiaomi fan and I used my mi9 i bought in 2019 till it was stolen in February. If not stolen I will never sell it because it has a low resale value. Now I bought mi 13pro for 750k which I plan to use till it pack up because I know I can never get someone to buy it from me even for 500k.
Re: Naira Slumps, Exchanges At Over ₦‎1,500 Against Dollar by InvertedHammer: 12:22pm On May 14
Lumarstone:
We have more economist in the classroom, professors for that matter, their wealth of knowledge are caged at our nation's university gate.

Is like those presiding over the economy of this country are people without economic mgt background. The economy seems to be getting worse on daily basis? Many Nigerians this days can't afford the high cost of medication in government owned federal medical centers. Inflation is at it's peak. What a country!
/
You are correct about the Nigerian economists wasting in classrooms with useless theories. But there is nothing the economists can do. How do you advise deaf politicians whose interests are only to loot enough for their immediate families? Every president knows how to fix Nigeria but none is willing to step on toes to achieve it. The worst part is that the FGN has totally handed over the economy to IMF. There is no sense of panic or emergency in the Presidency as Nigeria heads to abyss economically.

/
Re: Naira Slumps, Exchanges At Over ₦‎1,500 Against Dollar by bigiyaro(m): 12:28pm On May 14
cjrane:

Tinubu unlucky how? Why was he dodging presidential debates? This is the most important reason for presidential debates, the electorates (if they have any sense) will use the answers during the debate to gauge the ability of the candidates. It's only in this hopeless country that a president will be blaming the former president or be claiming he doesn't know the problems he was going to meet on ground. Strong men go for presidency because they want to make impacts and cause massive changes for the betterment of their country. Tinubu bought his road aso rock just to answer president, he has absolutely nothing to offer, he doesn't even have any ideas what is required of him as president.

2 Likes

Re: Naira Slumps, Exchanges At Over ₦‎1,500 Against Dollar by bigiyaro(m): 12:34pm On May 14
I thought all the binance people are in jail now, the main naira manipulator is in jail in the US while the assistant naira manipulator is in kuje prison, abi na dey one wey escape to Kenya? He's manupulating from Kenya. Omo is like we will go to war with Kenya o, if the naira cross #1,600 we go bomb Kenya. Our naira must stand even without backbone.
Re: Naira Slumps, Exchanges At Over ₦‎1,500 Against Dollar by Kaiser20: 1:28pm On May 14
I remembered when Reno Omokri Claimed that the naira would rise to #900 to 1$, mocking the Obedient

1 Like

Re: Naira Slumps, Exchanges At Over ₦‎1,500 Against Dollar by okunwaye(m): 1:29pm On May 14
Donaldoni:
With full local production of petroleum products, this won't matter anymore.

Some months ago, the price of diesel was NGN1,700 per liter with similar exchange rate.

Today it has remained NGN1,100 or thereabout.

With CNG usage and local PMS production underway, better days are ahead. smiley

FG does not care about the dollar again.

Piiigggs can continue to grunt in vain wild ecstasy cheesy FG is smarter. cheesy
E pain infant like poo munchers grin
Re: Naira Slumps, Exchanges At Over ₦‎1,500 Against Dollar by okunwaye(m): 1:47pm On May 14
Azazyel:
I thought they said cryptocurrency is 9ja's problem. They banned crypto transactions yet naira is having a free fall. Mumu people. Make I go continue my crypto biz jare smiley
So you stopped your crypto business because of balablue and his clueless CBN Governor shocked
Re: Naira Slumps, Exchanges At Over ₦‎1,500 Against Dollar by Lumarstone: 1:56pm On May 14
dappydozzy:

It is not a matter of economists in the university classroom , they possess no magic wand, even inflation is global. The reason we are having this problem is because we import virtually everything from raw materials to finished goods.

You maybe right on this your analysis..!
Re: Naira Slumps, Exchanges At Over ₦‎1,500 Against Dollar by Lumarstone: 1:57pm On May 14
InvertedHammer:

/
You are correct about the Nigerian economists wasting in classrooms with useless theories. But there is nothing the economists can do. How do you advise deaf politicians whose interests are only to loot enough for their immediate families? Every president knows how to fix Nigeria but none is willing to step on toes to achieve it. The worst part is that the FGN has totally handed over the economy to IMF. There is no sense of panic or emergency in the Presidency as Nigeria heads to abyss economically.

/

You maybe right in this your analysis.
Re: Naira Slumps, Exchanges At Over ₦‎1,500 Against Dollar by DMerciful(m): 2:19pm On May 14
Leave Buhari out of this! Hold Tinubu accountable!
cjrane:

1 Like

Re: Naira Slumps, Exchanges At Over ₦‎1,500 Against Dollar by Curious345: 2:25pm On May 14
Thats true .. you right
Easybet1:
No doubt, but if you are the type that can't keep phone for very long time, don't buy those products because you will keep wasting a lot of money.

I am a xiaomi fan and I used my mi9 i bought in 2019 till it was stolen in February. If not stolen I will never sell it because it has a low resale value. Now I bought mi 13pro for 750k which I plan to use till it pack up because I know I can never get someone to buy it from me even for 500k.
Re: Naira Slumps, Exchanges At Over ₦‎1,500 Against Dollar by ruffhandu: 2:36pm On May 14
PointZerom:

Do you guys thinks we're fools with short memories?

Tell us which primary and secondary school that taught Tinubu the fundamentals of mathematics and economics for him to have graduated with first class in economics.

In all honesty, Nigerians do. The same way they were warned during Buhari, reminded of all Buhari had said, but they waved it off with some excuses.

Here, I was wilds with surprise when people were blaming buhari for printing money, and accusing tilumbu of not advising the govt. I also tried to call some people's attention to the fact that the tilumbu they were eulogizing doesn't really understand how the economy works. Someone who advised the govt to print money to solve the nation's problems.

Honestly, I just concluded that nigeria is the way it is because majority have the same thought pattern, and that thought pattern keeps the country in such a state. The sensible and non-gullible ones are few and greatly outnumbered. He refused to state his plans on how to run the country, claiming that 'other candidates will steal his ideas'. Now he is claiming that he implemented the ideas of other candidates and yet they didn't work. Meaning he doesn't have any clue as to how to run the economy.

Nigeria is truly a shithole run by criminals. I just pray it doesn't become like places like Haiti.
I had imagined severally what Nigeria would have become if there was never crude oil. Also, the future of crude oil is bleak, I wonder what will happen, that is if this horrendous leadership structure is not dismantled in the near future.

1 Like

Re: Naira Slumps, Exchanges At Over ₦‎1,500 Against Dollar by Joey4321: 2:52pm On May 14
Flame333:

I need more words of encouragement from His supporters..

Five stars for the Chicago President

Hahaha... Guyyy
Re: Naira Slumps, Exchanges At Over ₦‎1,500 Against Dollar by Joey4321: 3:00pm On May 14
Curious345:
I have not been able to buy a new phone since this dollar slump. Phone I'm using currently, I bought for almost 400k. The upgraded version of this Oppo is now almost ₦1m+..

How can I splash ₦1m on a phone ? How!

This is my longest tenure of using a particular phone . Dec 2022 up until now , and I can't change to another phone 📱

You still get mouth to talk
Re: Naira Slumps, Exchanges At Over ₦‎1,500 Against Dollar by Azazyel: 3:14pm On May 14
okunwaye:

So you stopped your crypto business because of balablue and his clueless CBN Governor shocked

Ah nooo my business has never stopped for a minute. I'm just more cautious these days
Re: Naira Slumps, Exchanges At Over ₦‎1,500 Against Dollar by Emyogalanya: 4:21pm On May 14
God1000:
I just can't believe what is happening under this government, I am flabbergasted
Are you back from israeli war against Hamas? Abi you no go today? Or you are on annual leave.
Re: Naira Slumps, Exchanges At Over ₦‎1,500 Against Dollar by HNICEARTH: 4:32pm On May 14
Bobloco:

https://dailypost.ng/2024/05/13/naira-slumps-exchanges-at-over-n1500-against-dollar/

The message was loud and clear; keep your dollars closer.

Now we all smiling to the bank
Re: Naira Slumps, Exchanges At Over ₦‎1,500 Against Dollar by millionboi2: 5:23pm On May 14
udemzyudex:
Omo see wetin crypto P2P guys dey cause now. grin
u are an illiterate to think thy are responsible
Re: Naira Slumps, Exchanges At Over ₦‎1,500 Against Dollar by udemzyudex(m): 5:59pm On May 14
millionboi2:
u are an illiterate to think thy are responsible

This 1diot doesn't understand a sarcastic post.

Get lost Useme mkpo.
Re: Naira Slumps, Exchanges At Over ₦‎1,500 Against Dollar by mindtricks: 6:02pm On May 14
cjrane:

Blaming the past regime like all they are presently doing in office is not further compounding issues, just like the past regime blamed the past PDP?

Guess the golden rule is go whatever you like during your tenure but blame your issues predecessor for everything?
Re: Naira Slumps, Exchanges At Over ₦‎1,500 Against Dollar by millionboi2: 6:02pm On May 14
udemzyudex:

This 1diot doesn't understand a sarcastic post.

Get lost Useme mkpo.
add something to your post to make it sarcastic oga edit m
Re: Naira Slumps, Exchanges At Over ₦‎1,500 Against Dollar by udemzyudex(m): 7:04pm On May 14
millionboi2:
add something to your post to make it sarcastic oga edit m

Oga free me, if you no understand leave am.
Re: Naira Slumps, Exchanges At Over ₦‎1,500 Against Dollar by patrickcollins: 7:34pm On May 14
cjrane:

Oga is a big lie, Tinubu wrecked our economy with hasty policy decisions, he is clueless and after 4 years you will continue to blame Buhari

1 Like

Re: Naira Slumps, Exchanges At Over ₦‎1,500 Against Dollar by ebufa: 8:28pm On May 14
edungene7:
I am certain you reason with your anus with an exchange rate of #1500 to a dollar in an import dependant economy how many days will your #30,000 naira stippend take you better gerrout of here

you are entitled to ear your views ...you are certainly not entitled to call me names..............You are uncouth and uncultured and from the rubbish you just penned,it is apparent even to the blind that you are functionally illiterate! so buzz off!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Cash-Less Economy: How Will It Affect You? / Relationship Between Inflation And The Unending Devaluation Of The Naira / Africa Richest People 2011 - Most Are White (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.