Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,091 members, 7,863,817 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 07:09 AM

Between Landlord And Tenant Who Should Repair A Faulty Pumping Machine? - Properties (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Between Landlord And Tenant Who Should Repair A Faulty Pumping Machine? (27966 Views)

Tenant Who Was Served Quit Notice Builds Beautiful House Opposite Landlord / My Landlord And I / Should The Tenant Who Is Served A Quit Notice Still Pay The Landlord? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Between Landlord And Tenant Who Should Repair A Faulty Pumping Machine? by Seniormanfeyi06(m): 4:40pm On May 21
Simple logic. Repair is tenant. Replace is landlord.
Re: Between Landlord And Tenant Who Should Repair A Faulty Pumping Machine? by bigfather(m): 5:10pm On May 21
SALLYBERRY01:
Between Landlord and Tenant who should repair a faulty Pumping Machine?

If the landlord is staying in the same building...both of you will share d bill...but if you are the only one living in d the building. Then na u go repair cus na u dey use am !

1 Like

Re: Between Landlord And Tenant Who Should Repair A Faulty Pumping Machine? by ThierryJay: 5:30pm On May 21
wunmi590:

It is not about sharing responsibility, it is the responsibility of the landlord to repair or buy another pumping machine, the agreements was to provide water and when the source of the water is bad, then the landlord take charge...

I work as a facility manager, and that's how it has always been, we shouldn't carry landlord responsibility to the tenants it is bad...

One of our tenants pumping machine just got spoilt, and we changed it immediately for them, because we promise to give them water and the source has spoilt, so it is must we buy new pumping machine and give them...

We Nigerian are to adopted to taking responsibility that is not ours and it has really become a norm

Just curious, do your tenants pay monthly or annual service charge?
Re: Between Landlord And Tenant Who Should Repair A Faulty Pumping Machine? by Oluwasaudy(m): 5:54pm On May 21
Lol..funny statement .....let's see the landlord and the tenants as all tenants ..so if pumping machine spoil.... Cos the landlord is living in the compound with you ...he should be the one to repair it It is obvious you have never rented a house before .....it's stated in my agreement. ...anything thing that has faults in the compound and its a general use will be fixed by everyone in the compound d
PlasmaTV:

If the landlord is living with them, the landlord should take responsibility for he repairs. I believe that's the normal thing.

However, if the landlord isn't living with them, they should gather money to repair.
Re: Between Landlord And Tenant Who Should Repair A Faulty Pumping Machine? by drnoel: 5:55pm On May 21
SALLYBERRY01:
Depends on who uses the pump. If tenants, then he/she should repair it. If landlord then the same goes.
Re: Between Landlord And Tenant Who Should Repair A Faulty Pumping Machine? by xile: 6:04pm On May 21
tuzeriouz:

If tenants paid for service charge then its the landlord's responsibility. Rent is not for food but divest or re-investment.
My Landlord uses his own for food and also for drinks. He inherited the house
Re: Between Landlord And Tenant Who Should Repair A Faulty Pumping Machine? by headboyprince(m): 6:10pm On May 21
jayce232:

Your analogy of passenger & driver is very wrong & should be likened to a short let or hotel customer, not someone renting a house for year. Seems u haven't experience a terrible tenant that is good at damaging things
I hope you know a house of 100k will go for 150k or even 200k because of the tap water. So why will you be paying extra 50k every year and the landlord can't fix it, if it's spoils? So you see the pumping machine is the property of the landlord not the tenant so he should fix it. Unfortunately Nigeria is not a proper country that's why landlords neglect their duties
Re: Between Landlord And Tenant Who Should Repair A Faulty Pumping Machine? by headboyprince(m): 6:21pm On May 21
jmichael259:

Since when did landlord become Government that provides amenities? Are you paying water rate to the landlord? Is he the one that spoilt it? Is water or electricity part of function of a building (like roof)?
You the resident are responsible for payments, repairs and reconnection of your water and electricity whether in Nigeria, U.S.A or Europe(no matter if you're tenant or landlord).

The duty of the landlord is to lay the water pipes and electrical wires in the house during building. Provision of said electricity or pipe borne water is beyond his jurisdiction.
Sinking of borehole, Installing of generators or water pumping machine is a grace offered to you by the landlord or neighbourhood based on the inadequacies of our governments.

If you think you're too wise, make sure you disconnect it before packing into the house and wait for public supply.
you're wrong . Usually it's in the tenancy agreement if you the tenant is responsible for repairs or the landlord. And most of the times it's the landlord and can be sued if he defaults.

So stop spilling trash that's not how it's done in Europe. It's only in Nigeria people in authory don't like to take responsibilities.
Re: Between Landlord And Tenant Who Should Repair A Faulty Pumping Machine? by wunmi590(m): 6:35pm On May 21
ThierryJay:

Just curious, do your tenants pay monthly or annual service charge?

We have a apartment that pays service charge, and we still repair pumping machine and we have the one that don't pay, we still repair pumping machine...

It is the responsibility of the landlord to do it... Majority of them just shy away from it, that's why tenants feels its their right to fix it...
Re: Between Landlord And Tenant Who Should Repair A Faulty Pumping Machine? by folla: 6:54pm On May 21
Ideally, it should be for the account of the landlord. Why? Because it's an external fixture.

However, you see a lot of Nigerian landlords asking the tenants to contribute towards the repair or purchase of a pumping machine. This is a rip off.

Cheers.

SALLYBERRY01:
Re: Between Landlord And Tenant Who Should Repair A Faulty Pumping Machine? by Sotland: 7:35pm On May 21
korm2me:

What is this one saying ? So is the tenants that will empty septic tank right? Am sure You are joking

Just imagine? Lordlord will empty septic tank for tenant. On what ground exactly?

It can only happen where you are billed for service charge.

No, you should ask the landlord to pay your electrical bills too.. Infact don't even pay rent...
Re: Between Landlord And Tenant Who Should Repair A Faulty Pumping Machine? by sinola(m): 7:38pm On May 21
Op, I don't wait for landlord to repair mine if it spoils because the kind of landlord I have will even prefer to be fetching water from outside.

So for my beautiful family not to be relegated to untold hardship, I do it myself and move on.

How much kwan? ... Money wey I dey spend for a weekend
Re: Between Landlord And Tenant Who Should Repair A Faulty Pumping Machine? by Sotland: 7:39pm On May 21
Donchieli:
Do they even knw what that means

Instead na to de beg to drop the price down

Nd still expect the landlord to kill himself

Naso one call me say her toilet Don block 2 years living in the house and u de call me for blocked toilet say maka come repair am

The way I use vex tel her make she park at expiration ehn

Imagine the audacity.. So you will come fix minor repair for her.. When she packed in, was the toilet blocked? She will soon call you to come fix her door lock..

Wow! Many of these people are so pathetic..

As long as she didn't pay for any service charge. My bro you can even arrest and sue her for damages..

1 Like

Re: Between Landlord And Tenant Who Should Repair A Faulty Pumping Machine? by RushManni: 7:45pm On May 21
Puss360:

Lol, property of landlord, but is being used by tenants... So if the tenants misuse it , it should still be landlord that will replace it because "It's the property of the landlord"...

We always don't like taking responsibility for our actions

Quick one : how can they "misuse" something that's sunk into the ground ?
Re: Between Landlord And Tenant Who Should Repair A Faulty Pumping Machine? by Onitola2: 7:45pm On May 21
SALLYBERRY01:
if clause to repair is expressed in their agreement, then it's whoever the they agreed to do it, if not ,it's tenant since he's the one using it unless if landlord lives in the compound using it with tenants where they'll share it.
Re: Between Landlord And Tenant Who Should Repair A Faulty Pumping Machine? by xtian110: 7:52pm On May 21
Nawaooo this debate between landlord and tenant.. who is going to give the finer judgement...? Do we have barrister in the house?

Re: Between Landlord And Tenant Who Should Repair A Faulty Pumping Machine? by Medici777: 7:53pm On May 21
I used to live in a compound with about or over 5 apartments and we used to share bills equally with the landlord. The landlord na silent thief sha. When I first moved in i paid him the first time for prepaid meter top-up only to discover that he did not pay complete. I got suspicious because he didn’t bother to share receipt with me so I investigated and caught the old shameless fool in his tracks. He got pissed and told me not to pay into his account again that it had issues. What a slowpoke!
Re: Between Landlord And Tenant Who Should Repair A Faulty Pumping Machine? by jmoore(m): 7:59pm On May 21
RushManni:

Do you use rope and bucket to fetch the water or it is pumped through an electric pump?

Don't you know that high voltage, low voltage can damage a water pump?
Re: Between Landlord And Tenant Who Should Repair A Faulty Pumping Machine? by Clinghton: 8:19pm On May 21
Those who make use of it.
Re: Between Landlord And Tenant Who Should Repair A Faulty Pumping Machine? by Father4all: 8:29pm On May 21
All the people using it should repair it. If the landlord too is using it, he should be included
Re: Between Landlord And Tenant Who Should Repair A Faulty Pumping Machine? by TheOmoney(m): 8:30pm On May 21
Puss360:

Lol, property of landlord, but is being used by tenants... So if the tenants misuse it , it should still be landlord that will replace it because "It's the property of the landlord"...

We always don't like taking responsibility for our actions

There's no indication that any tenant spoilt it.
Just like the roof, wall or ceilings that could go bad due to age, tear and wear etc, the pumping machine could also develop fault.
The pumping machine is an assessory to the compound belonging to the landlord and it's lawful asking the landlord to repair it.
Most times the tenants may get impatient and fix it especially when the landlord drags his feet but that doesn't mean it's the duty of the tenants to fix the landlord's property FOr FREE!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Between Landlord And Tenant Who Should Repair A Faulty Pumping Machine? by crossbreedwears(m): 8:34pm On May 21
Sensible comment so far.
Puss360:
Tenants.. no long story... Infact even if e spoil, tenants should gather money and buy new one...
If the landlord stays in the same compound, then he can contribute money but not alll
Re: Between Landlord And Tenant Who Should Repair A Faulty Pumping Machine? by litaninja(m): 8:35pm On May 21
Who uses it?
SALLYBERRY01:
Re: Between Landlord And Tenant Who Should Repair A Faulty Pumping Machine? by maasoap(m): 8:39pm On May 21
Puss360:

If they want to pack out ,they are free.... After all, there's no landlord that will put new tenants without a working pumping machine....
You will do that repair and still lose few months rent until you get another set of tenants grin grin grin. You get my drift now? Wisdom pays
Re: Between Landlord And Tenant Who Should Repair A Faulty Pumping Machine? by jmoore(m): 8:49pm On May 21
TheOmoney:

Just like the roof, wall or ceilings that could go bad due to age, tear and wear etc, the pumping machine could also develop fault.
The pumping machine is an assessory to the compound belonging to the landlord and it's lawful asking the landlord to repair it.
Most times the tenants may get impatient and fix it especially when the landlord drags his feet but that doesn't mean it's the duty of the tenants to fix the landlord's property FOr FREE!
Rent and water are different, same way rent and electricity are different. Landlord is not waterboard. When the fuse of your apartment gets bad, is it the landlord that will fix the fuse? Those that are benefitting from the water pump should contribute money.
Re: Between Landlord And Tenant Who Should Repair A Faulty Pumping Machine? by Puss360(f): 8:56pm On May 21
RushManni:

By knowingly using low current or underpowered generator to pump water

1 Like

Re: Between Landlord And Tenant Who Should Repair A Faulty Pumping Machine? by maasoap(m): 8:56pm On May 21
TheOmoney:

Tell them. I did fix things when I was a tenant including pumping machine repairs (sometimes contributing what I could afford to that of landlady who wasn't living with us), repairing and and replacing burnt/melted electrical wires, replacing faulty taps with quality ones, paying plumber to wash the tanks, ceiling repairs and so on. The only thing I didn't do was touching the roof because I didn't want the landlady to accuse me of damaging her house roof. Heck! I and one other tenant paid off a debt of 200k naira on a prepaid meter that was given to the house (most of the debt was incurred by previous tenant who did direct bill for the house).

I knew most of these things were not my responsibilities but I'm responsible person. I was used to it when I was living in our family house before moving out to rent an apartment. So, I didn't see it as a big deal.

crossbreedwears:
Sensible comment so far.

Sensible comment so far indeed. Lol. You go repair old and weak, worn out pumping machine tire grin grin grin
Re: Between Landlord And Tenant Who Should Repair A Faulty Pumping Machine? by frozen70(f): 9:14pm On May 21
PlasmaTV:
It's the property of the landlord, so the landlord should repair it.

Pumping machine should be repaired by those who uses it, even if the landlord lives with them

They all should contribute for the repair

But if totally damaged then the landlord will have to buy a new one
Re: Between Landlord And Tenant Who Should Repair A Faulty Pumping Machine? by Shattuck(m): 10:10pm On May 21
Tallesty1:
We are so used to the abnormal that it has become the new normal.

Once the pumping machine breaks down, you should inform the caretaker or whoever is in charge of the house that it is faulty. It is not your responsibility to fix it. You made a payment that covers those repairs when you paid your house rent.

Normally, it is not even your responsibility to fix the lights or change sockets; the caretaker should take care of it.

Landlords are responsible for repairs and maintenance that ensure the property remains habitable for his tenants. Things like plumbing, electrical systems, pumping machine and all are his responsibilities.

Rent isn't a one time payment so he is supposed to ensure that those things you are renewing your rent to keep using are in good shape.

this is quite an irresponsible and selfish statement, when you enter into a new property and everything is in perfect shape it is just duty to make sure everything remains so at the point of departure, you can't come to someone property and damage appliances like that, I had one who damaged the door with hammer because he had a fight with his ex, he claimed it was the ex who did it who gets to fix a damage door, with cost of fixing it almost 20k, we can all complain about landlords but most tenants aren't nice people at all, they don't give a damn about the state of the property, and they have no sense of responsibility, if not for caution fee and other compulsory obligation and monitoring, you would have a case where most houses would be unhabitable after a tenant leaves.
Re: Between Landlord And Tenant Who Should Repair A Faulty Pumping Machine? by Shattuck(m): 10:17pm On May 21
RushManni:

one thing that kill borehole is low current or fluctuating current, some evil tenants don't care with low current them go just go on borehole, the light can be going on and off 20 times in 30 seconds Dem go still go on borehole, how about the ones who when them know the tap isn't running they will leave the various tap on, when they aren't around and you pump less than an hour water don finish, sharing responsibility is the only way to make everyone act responsible.

1 Like

Re: Between Landlord And Tenant Who Should Repair A Faulty Pumping Machine? by PlasmaTV: 10:58pm On May 21
frozen70:

Pumping machine should be repaired by those who uses it, even if the landlord lives with them

They all should contribute for the repair

But if totally damaged then the landlord will have to buy a new one
I have a different opinion. If I'm the landlord, and I'm living with them, I'll repair the machine.
Re: Between Landlord And Tenant Who Should Repair A Faulty Pumping Machine? by PlasmaTV: 10:59pm On May 21
Oluwasaudy:
Lol..funny statement .....let's see the landlord and the tenants as all tenants ..so if pumping machine spoil.... Cos the landlord is living in the compound with you ...he should be the one to repair it It is obvious you have never rented a house before .....it's stated in my agreement. ...anything thing that has faults in the compound and its a general use will be fixed by everyone in the compound d
Lol
Because I made an opinion, I have never rented a house before. You're funny.

If I'm a landlord living with tenants and the machine spoils, I will repair it. Didn't they pay caution fee?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Philanthropist Relocates Abia Woman From A Mud House To A New House (Photos ) / See The Proposed Nigeria Elevation Tower / 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.