Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,543 members, 7,850,863 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 10:11 AM

Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting (28685 Views)

Minimum Wage Committee Meeting Postponed Indefinitely / Lawmaker Throws Microphone At Keyamo During 774,000 Jobs Rowdy Committee Meeting / Governor El-Rufai Takes Selfie In Isolation, Attends COVID-19 Committee Meeting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by samcolee(m): 6:13pm On May 15
VeeVeeMyLuv:

What are you talking about?

But even without this minimum wage increment things are already inflating out of hand above the roof,

Abeg let them increase it. If we continue like this deciding not to increase minimum wage, graduate entry level monthly salary will be utterly worthless, the entire monthly salary won't be able to buy a decent meal!

You're more concerned about graduates how about our parents at lower levels? How will they pay tuition fees for their children besides even if you have one child this amount can't take care of you in this present economy

3 Likes

Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by Mcslize: 6:13pm On May 15
Minimum wage shouldn't be nothing less than 100k. If they peg it on 100k, that's quite manageable. But not that meager 48k they are negotiating.

Nigeria government are too wicked. They don't care about the poor masses.

1 Like

Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by Cool83(m): 6:17pm On May 15
NAC1666:

I predicted 45k. FG tried by making it 48k. One thing people don't understand about salary increase is that it's leads to more inflation and government on the other hand go through the back door to collect all that money through tax and high interest rate to mop up more money in circulation i.e liquidity ratio
Because of inflation, they should be earning peanut

3 Likes

Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by muykem: 6:17pm On May 15
salin:
48k in this Current inflation is in same ratio as 4800 naira

Get a Top Professional Company Logo Or Letterhead for your Business

PAY AFTER SERVICE

Drop us Your Company name for your Logo
https://forms.gle/LsBsijKFpoLbJVZh9

Like I said here sometimes ago and some people are arguing with me. Nigeria economy as it's today can't carry more than 50k to 60k minimum wage except state governments will sack more than 50% workforce and LG 70%, private sector will need to sack up 60% also.
Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by WorldRichest: 6:18pm On May 15
I think it is for Eba and Agbado. Anything less than 100,000 should not be accepted..

Emilokan Tinubu Jagaban Omo Alhaja Abibatu Mogaji, no disappoint us, you are lagging behind already. Brace up and do your job. We your Disciples are beginning to be ashamed

1 Like

Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by ositadima1(m): 6:19pm On May 15
casualobserver:
Nigeria’s GDP per capita is approximately $2,000. That means the output of the average Nigerian worker is only N3m a year. This is not the lowest worker, this is the average of all workers from cleaner to CEO, meaning the output of the minimum wage worker is a lot less than 3m a year.

Yet this same Nigerian worker wants to earn N600k a month or N7m as a minimum wage. He wants to earn more than his output. No be JUju be that?

The problem with Nigeria is our workers are very unproductive.

In the us the GDP per capita is $70k therefore it makes sense that the minimum wage is $15k.

In the UK GDP per capita is $40,000, minimum wage is $15,700 p.a.

Nigerian workers want to earn more than their output but more than the average output. The Nigerian worker has no business asking for more than N80k per week as a minimum wage based on his output. I understand living conditions but the figures don’t lie. The Nigeria. Worker does not have a productivity level to justify anything above N80k a month minimum wage. It’s actually scary how unproductive our workers are and how inefficient our economy is.

All you said is on point, but mind you, people feel bad that the same people in office who are not contributing much to the economy are collecting extravagant take-home pay. If the government is serious about all this, then they have to adjust money for governance by a lot, a whole lot. There is a lot of waste amidst pervasive poverty.

5 Likes

Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by eneyoduke(m): 6:19pm On May 15
Out of 650k not even 100k was proposed such a wicked government

1 Like

Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by UKEMY(m): 6:20pm On May 15
APC bots over to you
@Yarimo
@helinues
@senatedave1
@garfield1
Others,what's your opinion

2 Likes

Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by bitingcool: 6:20pm On May 15
Cmanforall:

Who are those to earn minimum wage

For now it will benefit federal government workers

Those at the bottom of civil service earn the minimum wage. Let Nigerian ls not confuse it with graduates who are civil servants.
I think a university graduate will start from Level 8. This means he's 7 steps above the minimum wage
Is that not so?
So a graduate will not earn 48k per month in the federal civil service

even if it a street sweeper. What can 48k do for 1 person talk less of a family man. your type thinks he's immune to the suffering. your concern is for the university graduate. The non university graduate nko? he gets free food from the market abi. no Nigerian should earn less than 150k in this economy damaged by the clueless moronic drug pusher and his lack.of ideas to grow an economy apart from taxation

2 Likes

Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 6:21pm On May 15
samcolee:

You're more concerned about graduates how about our parents at lower levels? How will they pay tuition fees for their children besides even if you have one child this amount can't take care of you in this present economy
I totally agree with you

Something urgent needs to be done about this. Things have gotten out of control, to a critical condition. It can't continue like this
Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by callmenazarene: 6:22pm On May 15
I can't just laugh alone. You guys have not seen anything. By the time baba wire you with Lagos factory settings, you go begin to beg for sixty thousand naira. That is the highest jagaban will give you.

1 Like

Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by Mitsurugi(m): 6:26pm On May 15
post=129969639:

Good point raised by labour.
Now,
When are we going back cool

When your clueless daddy has fixed the economy so the naira can have value as in the days of PDP. Remember those days? When there were no vultures on the menu

1 Like

Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by Mightypenlord(m): 6:26pm On May 15
I swear 48k is good in as much as it will be for all govt including politicians. Tinubu and shetima first then governors,ministers et all
Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by UKEMY(m): 6:27pm On May 15
muykem:

Like I said here sometimes ago and some people are arguing with me. Nigeria economy as it's today can't carry more than 50k to 60k minimum wage except state governments will sack more than 50% workforce and LG 70%, private sector will need to sack up 60% also.
You are very wrong sir.
Do you know how much the Executives steals every month.
Let's Take a poor state like Kogi for an Example,Yeye Bello stole #86b,that's the only one EFCC knows ooooo.
There is money even thou not #615k but at least #100k

4 Likes

Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by Mightypenlord(m): 6:29pm On May 15
Wainey:
48k as minimum wage is good o, i dont have a problem but politicians salary should not exceed 200k too, and their allowance should be reviewed too especially that nonsense called hardship allowance
I seconded
Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by olusipimp(m): 6:30pm On May 15
Proudlyngwa:
grin

The question is most Nigerian federal , state and local government workers , how productive are they.

Does there input into the system generate that amount or they just want to be paid for doing nothing
Thunder blow that ur brain...see d way you're reasoning

3 Likes

Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by abba190: 6:34pm On May 15
Streetdoctor:

Oh boy, una dey suffer ohhhh. 30
we are in this together, everybody is feeling this tinubulation
Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by benjaminlawson(m): 6:39pm On May 15
TheclearChoice:
The man is so clueless, I honestly don't know the lines and lies they would want to use to convince people to vote for them again come 2027.

They don't need our vote, just set aside some billions and buy up one yakubu, he in turn will co-opt some non integrity profs, and the deal will be done and announcement made at 2 am when people are sleeping.

1 Like

Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by Floky215: 6:40pm On May 15
UKEMY:

You are very wrong sir.
Do you know how much the Executives steals every month.
Let's Take a poor state like Kogi for an Example,Yeye Bello stole #86b,that's the only one EFCC knows ooooo.
There is money even thou not #615k but at least #100k

Point of correction pls, yahaya bello stole over 300 Billion Naira from Kogi....!!

1 Like

Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by smileyoo: 6:40pm On May 15
Proudlyngwa:
grin

The question is most Nigerian federal , state and local government workers , how productive are they.

Does there input into the system generate that amount or they just want to be paid for doing nothing
does the input of the politicians into the system generate the huge amounts they are paying them, as monthly salaries, allowances , even including hardship allowances.
it's the duty of the government to weed out unproductive workers .
under this APC government, anything that has to do with the welfare of the masses, you will start to hear various plausible theories, that makes no sense.
APC is a curse to Nigeria and Nigerians.

4 Likes

Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by Galinton(m): 6:40pm On May 15
abba190:
in this current situation anything below 80k as minimum wage will not be enough. i just resign from a factory work where i am being paid 30k monthly. in the morning alone i spend 700 on food
lol, that mean 2100 per day(700 morning, 700, afternoon & 700 evening) abi?
Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by UKEMY(m): 6:40pm On May 15
Floky215:

Point of correction pls, yahaya bello stole over 300 Billion Naira from Kogi....!!
I don't know that one ooo
Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by surgical: 6:40pm On May 15
TheclearChoice:
The man is so clueless, I honestly don't know the lines and lies they would want to use to convince people to vote for them again come 2027.
He doesn't need the people again, he is already in power,he will use his power, he has pocket all obstacles like judiciary, increasing their salaries to 5.3m per month, will such judges rule against him
And the judges are the final authority when it comes to elections
He doesn't need the people

4 Likes

Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by Floky215: 6:42pm On May 15
UKEMY:

I don't know that one ooo

You would soon know shortly..!! grin
Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by UKEMY(m): 6:43pm On May 15
smileyoo:
does the input of the politicians into the system generate the huge amounts they are paying them, as monthly salaries, allowances , even including hardship allowances.
it's the duty of the government to weed out unproductive workers .
under this APC government, anything that has to do with the welfare of the masses, you will start various plausible theories, that makes no sense.
APC is a curse to Nigeria and Nigerians.
APC is not a curse but some Nigerians are cursed.with the lackluster performance by Buhari APC ought not to get any Votes at the federal level but some out Tribal and Religious sentiments before Competency.
Na all of us go suffer am.
I thank GOD for his provision and always blessing my hustle

2 Likes

Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by Cmanforall: 6:43pm On May 15
bitingcool:

even if it a street sweeper. What can 48k do for 1 person talk less of a family man. your type thinks he's immune to the suffering. your concern is for the university graduate. The non university graduate nko? he gets free food from the market abi. no Nigerian should earn less than 150k in this economy damaged by the clueless moronic drug pusher and his lack.of ideas to grow an economy apart from taxation

You know nothing about me!
It's not my fault that I'm not suffering the hardship you and your family are suffering. Don't pour your frustrations on anyone.
Though I selflessly care, support and help many people facing economic challenges.

I try to be logical. Yes, salaries should be increased.

I used a university graduate as an example, so people who may be confused with 48k monthly salary can get some clarifications.

Now, if truly sweepers are the least in the civil service ladder, how many of them work from 9am to 4pm in their respective ministeries?

Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by waldigit: 6:44pm On May 15

2 Likes

Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by waldigit: 6:46pm On May 15
TheclearChoice:
They will use # born again hope "
Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by symbianDON(m): 6:48pm On May 15
Proudlyngwa:
grin

it is extremely insensitive and thoughtless to say that nigerian workers do nothing! In contrast, what do politicians do that makes them eligible to earn as much as they do in government?

4 Likes

Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by Tunde25(m): 6:50pm On May 15
Where did you see #54,000, please?
NaijaRoyalty:
This government is wicked . They spent N500million for sitting just to come up with a paltry N54,000?

Remove the current minimum wage of N35000 from N54,000 and you will see they added almost nothing.

Labour should declare an indefinite strike immediately

1 Like

Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by tnerro1(m): 6:54pm On May 15
Thunder will kill the person that proposed 48k in this economy..
Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by bentenny(m): 6:55pm On May 15
You guys can now see the reason why organised labour started from a huge figure like 600k!
Just imagine the start point of FG?
48k for what exactly?
Even if agbadorians are diligently doing their zombie work,most of them will never accept 50k as minimum wage!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Reactions As Anambra Begins Demolition Of 'Shanties' In Onitsha (Photos) / Razi Hamad, Hamas Spokesman Visits Nigeria, Speaks On Israel-Palestine War / Buhari Leads In Ogun, Wins 12 Of 16 LGAs Declared

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.