Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,543 members, 7,850,849 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 09:58 AM

Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting (28684 Views)

Minimum Wage Committee Meeting Postponed Indefinitely / Lawmaker Throws Microphone At Keyamo During 774,000 Jobs Rowdy Committee Meeting / Governor El-Rufai Takes Selfie In Isolation, Attends COVID-19 Committee Meeting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by casualobserver: 11:06am On May 16
Love800:
But is it the workers(citizens) that will work towards making huge profit? Have you forgotten dat the government controls or lead us?

You have 2 identical farms: Farm 1 produces 1tonne of maize but employs only 1 farm worker. Farm 2 produces the same 1 tonne of maize but has 5 workers and they can’t be sacked because they are part of a union. The selling price of maize in the market it is N10m per tonne.

Note I said the farms are identical:

Q1 What is the output/value/ of each worker in each farm and How much should the farm worker on each farm earn?
Q2 should workers in farm 1 and farm 2 earn the same?
Q3 should I take from the productive worker in farm 1 to subsidize the unproductive workers in farm 2?
Q4 how do you increase the income of a farm 2 worker?

If you can answer these questions, you will have gone a long way to understanding the problem of the Nigerian worker and lack of productivity. Why their wages are so low and why they will continue to remain low.

Bottom line. The output of the farm is 10m, if you have 1 farmer his income is 10m, if you have 5 their income is 2m. There is no money from anywhere to increase that income because the farm is the source of income. If 3 workers leave the farm then the remaining 2 can do the same job and earn 5m each. If all 4 leave to new identical farms then all farmers will earn 10m each but all 5 cannot stay on the same farm doing nothing or doing the work of 1 man and expect to earn anything more than N2m each.

Every Civil servant or Refinery worker who collects a salary for doing nothing for over a decade is the reason you cannot pay the DPR, PPMC or civil servant who actually works a higher salary. So when labor threaten to strike and say govt cannot sack the idle refinery workers or civil servants, then they must be prepared to shared their salaries with them which is why wages are low because it is from the output of the man who is working that they are paying the man who is collecting a salary but not doing any work.

1 Like

Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by Love800(m): 11:45am On May 16
If the owner of the farm(both farm 1&2) cant upgrade its farm by purchasing new tool, providing welfare for workers, have a well-lined structure of department(system) for the workers, bring new ideas(innovation), and a good regulatory/supervising body for the workers, the workers will not be productive.

By the way, i understood ur questions regarding the farm. But i cant answer dem to ur understanding. Like, you will be confused with my answers.

casualobserver:

You have 2 identical farms: Farm 1 produces 1tonne of maize but employs only 1 farm worker. Farm 2 produces the same 1 tonne of maize but has 5 workers and they can’t be sacked because they are part of a union. The selling price of maize in the market it is N10m per tonne.

Note I said the farms are identical:

Q1 What is the output/value/ of each worker in each farm and How much should the farm worker on each farm earn?
Q2 should workers in farm 1 and farm 2 earn the same?
Q3 should I take from the productive worker in farm 1 to subsidize the unproductive workers in farm 2?
Q4 how do you increase the income of a farm 2 worker?

If you can answer these questions, you will have gone a long way to understanding the problem of the Nigerian worker and lack of productivity. Why their wages are so low and why they will continue to remain low.
Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by casualobserver: 12:06pm On May 16
Love800:
If the owner of the farm(both farm 1&2) cant upgrade its farm by purchasing new tool, providing welfare for workers, have a well-lined structure of department(system) for the workers, bring new ideas(innovation), and a good regulatory/supervising body for the workers, the workers will not be productive.

By the way, i understood ur questions regarding the farm. But i cant answer dem to ur understanding. Like, you will be confused with my answers.

Go back to the word “identical” in my scenario. That is why I inserted the word and reiterated it. If both farms are identical then your questions are irrelevant.

As for the rest with due respect, your other comments are an understandable sense of entitlement of a country that has been built on a legacy of subsidy in all aspects of life. Let me break it down to you. Nobody owes you anything, nobody owes you a job. Having a job is a privilege not an entitlement. You are entitled to what you created, you don’t create your job as an employee so you are not entitled to it. You retain the job based on your performance on the job and/or the pleasure and goodwill of your employer. Painful to hear but fact! The reason workers are collecting salaries at our refineries despite producing nothing for years is a result of a culture of entitlement, inefficiencies in government etc. if they were private sector refineries they would all have been sacked within 6 months of the refineries not producing.

An entrepreneur created his own job and that of others so he has earned the right to pay himself what he likes and his staff what the market can accommodate. If you don’t like it you can find another job. That’s just the way it is. That is the privilege of self employment and the drawback of depending on others to Crete a job for you.. A job by definition is you selling selling yourself to someone because of your inability to create an independent means of livelihood. If you like the conditions you stay, if you don’t you are free to test your worth in the market.

1 Like

Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by ZTsambad: 12:16pm On May 16
The D-Day will surely come all this unintelligent monkeys that call themselves politicians will no their end one day
Itzlinda:
Very useless and incompetent fools.

House of rep remembers earn 14 million monthly for absolutely doing nothing. This not including the amount they steal from bogus constituency project and budget padding.

Some of them even spend months without attending a single sitting in the house.

They spend most of their time in hotels and guest house with their chicks enjoying their life.

But this wicked nincompoop are proposing amounts so pitiful that it cannot even buy one bag of rice.

Nigeria is a hopeless place filled with the most of wicked souls you can find on the universe.

Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by Love800(m): 1:38pm On May 16
You have a good point.

But that is to you sha. Thats ur take.
casualobserver:

Go back to the word “identical” in my scenario. That is why I inserted the word and reiterated it. If both farms are identical then your questions are irrelevant.

As for the rest with due respect, your other comments are an understandable sense of entitlement of a country that has been built on a legacy of subsidy in all aspects of life. Let me break it down to you. Nobody owes you anything, nobody owes you a job. Having a job is a privilege not an entitlement. You are entitled to what you created, you don’t create your job as an employee so you are not entitled to it. You retain the job based on your performance on the job and/or the pleasure and goodwill of your employer. Painful to hear but fact! The reason workers are collecting salaries at our refineries despite producing nothing for years is a result of a culture of entitlement, inefficiencies in government etc. if they were private sector refineries they would all have been sacked within 6 months of the refineries not producing.

An entrepreneur created his own job and that of others so he has earned the right to pay himself what he likes and his staff what the market can accommodate. If you don’t like it you can find another job. That’s just the way it is. That is the privilege of creating your own job and the price for not being able to create your own independent means of livelihood. A job by definition is you selling selling yourself to someone because of your inability to create an independent means of livelihood. If you like the conditions you stay, if you don’t you are free to test your worth in the market.
Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by sonofthunder: 4:00pm On May 16
Wainey:
the allowance is the money needed to run their various offices, you cant totally remove it

They should add it up and pay them a single salary.
Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by Love800(m): 5:34pm On May 16
Okay. Nice.

But i think increasing the salary will just be temporary solution. The main solution is for government to regulate prices of goods nd services as it is done in the first world countries.
maasoap:

To claim that the new minimum wage will cause hyper inflation is not an argument this time around because we're already dealing with hyper inflation. And civil servants are at the receiving end at the moment.
Since govt couldn't bring down the prices that has gone up like 4 folds in last eight months, the next thing to do is to let the salaries of those who are earning fixed income be increase. In this case, the new salary won't cause inflation, rather it will help the beneficiaries to catch up with the current prices of goods and services
Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by muykem: 5:39pm On May 16
abdsamad:

You're right and wrong

The problem is that we're paying 500m to a committee. Why?
What's their salary for exactly. Why is this committee extra work.

If we cut stupid spending like that, not even the corruption of gazillions o. Just the plain wasteful spending on senators and such, we can pay at least 70k, or even 100k.

But when we are only going after the poor, telling them to bear with hardship, but do nothing to go after the powerful... Well, priority priority!
You are looking at minimum wage from only government perspective.
Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by Love800(m): 5:50pm On May 16
Okay.
But am not sure this happens in the south. It will be in the north.
Honlucas:

Now u know.
Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 5:52pm On May 16
Love800:
You have a good point.

But that is to you sha. Thats ur take.
Abeg He doesn't have any good point

In the first place, Instead of creating a meritocratic system ( system driven by merit) they created a backward system driven by nepotism. That is why everywhere and everything is so unproductive!
Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by Love800(m): 6:14pm On May 16
Exactly.

Thats what i was trying to pass to him. Everything is fallen apart in the civil service because they dont have a straight forward and transparent system. No guidelines and strict measures from the government to keep dem in check.
VeeVeeMyLuv:

Abeg He doesn't have any good point

In the first place, Instead of creating a meritocratic system ( system driven by merit) they created a backward system driven by nepotism. That is why everywhere and everything is so unproductive!

1 Like

Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 7:23pm On May 16
Love800:
Exactly.

Thats what i was trying to pass to him. Everything is fallen apart in the civil service because they dont have a straight forward and transparent system. No guidelines and strict measures from the government to keep dem in check.
How can they have the intellect/understanding to do that when they themselves are irredeemably notoriously corrupt

Imagine an erstwhile past young governor who just completed his 2 term tenures was alleged to have brazenly stolen over a hundred (100) billion naira from his state coffers! 😡🙀
Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by Love800(m): 7:58pm On May 16
Aswear!
Until each appionting authority(governors, head of service) establish adequate internal controls to prevent fraud and to ensure that actions are effected in compliance with civil service rules, pay plans, policies, procedures, i dont think we can get it right.
VeeVeeMyLuv:

How can they have the intellect/understanding to do that when they themselves are irredeemably notoriously corrupt

Imagine an erstwhile past young governor who just completed his 2 term tenures was alleged to have brazenly stolen over a hundred (100) billion naira from his state coffers! 😡🙀

1 Like

Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by BrighterSyde: 6:21am On May 17
Proudlyngwa:
grin

The question is most Nigerian federal , state and local government workers , how productive are they.

Does there input into the system generate that amount or they just want to be paid for doing nothing

But the input of the senators, ministers, etc are worth the billions the tax payers furnish them with right? I mean we are seeing their effects in power, security, education, health etc.
Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by delkuf(m): 7:12am On May 17
Cmanforall:

Who are those to earn minimum wage

For now it will benefit federal government workers

Those at the bottom of civil service earn the minimum wage. Let Nigerian ls not confuse it with graduates who are civil servants.
I think a university graduate will start from Level 8. This means he's 7 steps above the minimum wage
Is that not so?
So a graduate will not earn 48k per month in the federal civil service
what are talking
Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by delkuf(m): 7:22am On May 17
Julius1351:

This country na comedy sha 😹. Labour proposed 615K, Federal Government bargained 48K 😂....... Who dah f#ck bargains like that.
The thing tire me. Look at the gap. One is too high, while the other is too wicked

1 Like

Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by maasoap(m): 11:59am On May 17
Love800:
Okay. Nice.

But i think increasing the salary will just be temporary solution. The main solution is for government to regulate prices of goods nd services as it is done in the first world countries.
Regulation can't be effective as the government is the main culprit who disrupted the economy by ill thought out policies. The cost of production has gone up astronomically, the only solution is to bring down the cost of doing business. And that entails many things which the current administration has refused to consider. What they're after is more money, more revenue.
Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by Love800(m): 4:55pm On May 17
What do you mean by the bolded?
maasoap:

Regulation can't be effective as the government is the main culprit who disrupted the economy by ill thought out policies. The cost of production has gone up astronomically, the only solution is to bring down the cost of doing business. And that entails many things which the current administration has refused to consider. What they're after is more money, more revenue.
Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by maasoap(m): 5:09pm On May 17
Love800:
What do you mean by the bolded?

Of course, you know what I meant. Cost of fuels has skyrocketed, cost of electricity has joined too, people/SME can't access loans, no grants for businesses, no security, farmers can't go farms most especially in the north / many of them have been killed.
Until govt steps in to address all these and many more, provide supports, nothing will change. And this particular government? It is running away from all the responsibilities associated with govts all over the world.
Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by MomohMrMoore: 5:39pm On May 17
Lol.. Labour asking if the 48k is for food, transport or clothing. I ask labour, the current 30k minimum salary, what is it for?
Who will talk for millions of us in the private sector? Companies have folded up, people have lost their jobs in millions, who talk for them? So labour is only for the civil servants?
Its okay oo.
Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by Love800(m): 12:44pm On May 18
Nice quote.
Thank you.
maasoap:

Of course, you know what I meant. Cost of fuels has skyrocketed, cost of electricity has joined too, people/SME can't access loans, no grants for businesses, no security, farmers can't go farms most especially in the north / many of them have been killed.
Until govt steps in to address all these and many more, provide supports, nothing will change. And this particular government? It is running away from all the responsibilities associated with govts all over the world.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ekweremadu: Ohanaeze Writes UK Embassy, Issues Warning To Blackmailers / LP: Court Nullification Of Alex Otti’s Candidature Too Late – Festus Ogun / Reactions As Anambra Begins Demolition Of 'Shanties' In Onitsha (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.