Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,709 members, 7,851,408 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 06:49 PM

Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting (28693 Views)

Minimum Wage Committee Meeting Postponed Indefinitely / Lawmaker Throws Microphone At Keyamo During 774,000 Jobs Rowdy Committee Meeting / Governor El-Rufai Takes Selfie In Isolation, Attends COVID-19 Committee Meeting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by michalshawn: 9:20pm On May 15
I just read your post and realized that you are talking about salary increase. If you dont know much more about it then just do let me know here or in inox. I will guide you about it properly.
Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by babsthegreat: 9:29pm On May 15
How can they come up with 48k as minimum wage is not fair at all on the part of Nigerians.
With the current inflation rate .Haba fuel has gone up to 700 per liter at least a minimum wage of at least 100k in not ok at all even the 100k is to manage
Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by casualobserver: 10:13pm On May 15
ositadima1:

All you said is on point, but mind you, people feel bad that the same people in office who are not contributing much to the economy are collecting extravagant take-home pay. If the government is serious about all this, then they have to adjust money for governance by a lot, a whole lot. There is a lot of waste amidst pervasive poverty.

This is my one criticism of this govt. they have not tightened their belts in line with the realities of the day even if only symbolic.

1 Like

Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by themanderon: 11:30pm On May 15
Until Nigerians rise up and challenge the present order of criminality nothing will change. How can politicians collect millions for doing nothing and then ask those who are doing the real work moving the nation forward to accept stipends?
What kind of wicked master-servant relationship do we have between government officials and the masses? 48k? Is it for pocket money?
Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by Collins9156(m): 12:48am On May 16
$31 for a month ,God forbid.
Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by Emzedz: 12:51am On May 16
When I told you that nigeria is a joke, you all thought I was joking. 48k for wat exactly.

1 Like

Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by Inosky: 1:29am On May 16
Thundér fire whoever capped such idea.😟😠
Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by emolala(m): 4:22am On May 16
Proudlyngwa:
grin

The question is most Nigerian federal , state and local government workers , how productive are they.

Does there input into the system generate that amount or they just want to be paid for doing nothing

Are you telling me that Tinubu works harder than the average nigerian civil servant??or our national assembly members that strolls to shout ye or nay in the chambers yet pocketing millions every month..how dare you compare the average civil servant to these set of people...go to government offices and see for yourself don't make baseless conclusions based on the fact that you are enjoying small benefit from the government of the day......don't even get me started guy!!
Pls let's not go there...
Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by Ameboperoo(m): 4:33am On May 16
Cmanforall:

Who are those to earn minimum wage

For now it will benefit federal government workers

Those at the bottom of civil service earn the minimum wage. Let Nigerian ls not confuse it with graduates who are civil servants.
I think a university graduate will start from Level 8. This means he's 7 steps above the minimum wage
Is that not so?
So a graduate will not earn 48k per month in the federal civil service
At 30k, a graduate earns less than 70k so maybe 100k or so at 48k. What can 100k buy you for a month? Transport alone will finish it
Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by emolala(m): 4:36am On May 16
[quote author=NAC1666 post=129970224]
I predicted 45k. FG tried by making it 48k. One thing people don't understand about salary increase is that it's leads to more inflation and government on the other hand go through the back door to collect all that money through tax and high interest rate to mop up more money in circulation i.e liquidity ratio[/quote

Oga shut your dirty mouth.
Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by abdsamad(m): 5:16am On May 16
Smilingjoe4:
May u never earn above 50k since is good to u.

I think you missed the point there. What he said is that 50k is okay only as long as they're willing to receive 200k too.

They think we should manage because things are hard. Fine. They should also manage since things are hard.

Let's try not to tear into each other so easily and apologise when we get it wrong
Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by abdsamad(m): 5:31am On May 16
muykem:

Like I said here sometimes ago and some people are arguing with me. Nigeria economy as it's today can't carry more than 50k to 60k minimum wage except state governments will sack more than 50% workforce and LG 70%, private sector will need to sack up 60% also.

You're right and wrong

The problem is that we're paying 500m to a committee. Why?
What's their salary for exactly. Why is this committee extra work.

If we cut stupid spending like that, not even the corruption of gazillions o. Just the plain wasteful spending on senators and such, we can pay at least 70k, or even 100k.

But when we are only going after the poor, telling them to bear with hardship, but do nothing to go after the powerful... Well, priority priority!

2 Likes

Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by RexTramadol1: 5:39am On May 16
Proudlyngwa:
grin

The question is most Nigerian federal , state and local government workers , how productive are they.

Does there input into the system generate that amount or they just want to be paid for doing nothing

I will resist the urge to say what’s on my mind.

To whom much is given, much is expected.

But check what they earn and tap your head if it doesn’t echo.
Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by meditator(m): 6:04am On May 16
AmericanIdiot:

Tinubu is a worthless stinking bastard walking dead Yoruba fool of a president
He’s is the biggest catastrophe of a president in the whole of WEST AFRICA!!!!!
We like him like that. We prefer him to a man that only receives advice from a mad man.
Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by infogeneral: 6:28am On May 16
They are not serious
Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by Oghene86: 6:33am On May 16
olatade:
Labour leader, Joe Ajaero storms out of meeting

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2024/05/minimum-wage-labour-rejects-fgs-n45000-offer/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR0KnN7pSK_wD6WS-4AYQGZ1juRLNtTPGi7LPfmM4tieA_khFZKQHtr3GWI_aem_AaklYPd3Qelz5CRYO0dIoNSLIezbWvqHXzh9RQFc9EfjJyJRE2a7y0ssSRtAYmDiNp8yC3xQ4D_mms0YlRBgicnh

What's 48k monthly salary, so they rather steal all the money than give workers good salary, 48k is too too poor, minimum wage should be between 100k to 200k that should be fair
Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by Love800(m): 6:41am On May 16
What do you mean by money is not the issue but value of money?
Menclothing1:
Money is not the issue but value of money

The more the money given the more inflation this is a consuming nation
Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by Love800(m): 6:44am On May 16
How pls?
What are you trying to point out?
maasoap:

Inflation was already on ground. This negotiation on increment in minimum wage is just playing catch-up game.
Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by sonofthunder: 6:45am On May 16
Wainey:
48k as minimum wage is good o, i dont have a problem but politicians salary should not exceed 200k too, and their allowance should be reviewed too especially that nonsense called hardship allowance

They can pay them 2 million monthly but all allowances should be removed and what ever they earn should be made public. No politician should earn any bonus or allowance again except maybe 13th month.

They aren't exposed to any hazards in the course of their work
Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by stevnwigw1: 6:47am On May 16
Tinubu is working so hard to put Nigeria in flames.
Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by Love800(m): 6:48am On May 16
But is it the workers(citizens) that will work towards making huge profit? Have you forgotten dat the government controls or lead us?
casualobserver:
Nigeria’s GDP per capita is approximately $2,000. That means the output of the average Nigerian worker is only N3m a year. This is not the lowest worker, this is the average of all workers from cleaner to CEO, meaning the output of the minimum wage worker is a lot less than 3m a year.

Yet this same Nigerian worker wants to earn N600k a month or N7m as a minimum wage. He wants to earn more than his output. No be JUju be that?

The problem with Nigeria is our workers are very unproductive.

In the us the GDP per capita is $70k therefore it makes sense that the minimum wage is $15k.

In the UK GDP per capita is $40,000, minimum wage is $15,700 p.a.

Nigerian workers want to earn not just more than their output but more than the average output. The Nigerian worker has no business asking for more than N80k per month as a minimum wage based on his output. I understand living conditions but the figures don’t lie. The Nigeria. Worker does not have a productivity level to justify anything above N80k a month minimum wage. When you consider how little that is, It’s actually scary how unproductive our workers are and how inefficient our economy is.
Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by Love800(m): 6:51am On May 16
Pls what are you two talking about?
I really want to grasp both of you conversations. What are two trying to point out?
Menclothing1:

If minimum wage is more than 60k our productivity is the lowest in ratio to population in the world
Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by Love800(m): 6:55am On May 16
Dem dey use primary school cert to enter civil service?
Honlucas:

48k is for level 1.. Nd that person holds primary school leaving certificate as highest qualification.

Degree holder start from level 7..

But regardless the 48k is bad
70k is understandable.
Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by Love800(m): 6:57am On May 16
How does it lead to inflation?
NAC1666:

I predicted 45k. FG tried by making it 48k. One thing people don't understand about salary increase is that it's leads to more inflation and government on the other hand go through the back door to collect all that money through tax and high interest rate to mop up more money in circulation i.e liquidity ratio
Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by Love800(m): 7:00am On May 16
But what kind of work input are you talking about?
You mean nigerians are not working enough?
hedonido:

This is unfortunately very true. I don't subscribe to paying 'competitive' living wages to unproductive idiots who don't put in competitive work.

If the minimum wage must be made at least $100 a month, then our entire public service must be disbanded. The public service laws/Labour laws need to be amended if necessary. People need to be employed and paid on the basis of merit, competition, deliverables and actual 'proof of work'.

The worst part is that the bulk of the private sector workers who comparatively put in way more work for less pay would never benefit from this any minimum wage increase. So the whole NLC drama is essentially to demand more pay for corruptly employed and mostly redundant public sector workers..

They are all not serious.
Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by Love800(m): 7:03am On May 16
Hello.
Is the express entry route still working in UK?
PeterObi4LP:
We warned Nigerians but they called us unprintable names. Now who dey suffer am, me in UK or them in Nigeria? Toh
Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by mediclife1987(m): 7:05am On May 16
Dedeity:
Tinubu is a failure. You took the price of fuel from 190 to 800 and still want workers to paid 48k. A disaster like no other

The 48k would be added to 35k to make 83k. That's what it is I guess
Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by Cmanforall: 7:07am On May 16
Ameboperoo:

At 30k, a graduate earns less than 70k so maybe 100k or so at 48k. What can 100k buy you for a month? Transport alone will finish it

No doubt, there's need to increase the minimum wage. But walking out will not get NLC that
Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by Honlucas: 7:41am On May 16
Love800:
Dem dey use primary school cert to enter civil service?

Now u know.
Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by Wainey: 7:54am On May 16
sonofthunder:

They can pay them 2 million monthly but all allowances should be removed and what ever they earn should be made public. No politician should earn any bonus or allowance again except maybe 13th month.

They aren't exposed to any hazards in the course of their work
the allowance is the money needed to run their various offices, you cant totally remove it
Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by Yong4ever: 8:54am On May 16
olatade:
Labour leader, Joe Ajaero storms out of meeting

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2024/05/minimum-wage-labour-rejects-fgs-n45000-offer/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR0KnN7pSK_wD6WS-4AYQGZ1juRLNtTPGi7LPfmM4tieA_khFZKQHtr3GWI_aem_AaklYPd3Qelz5CRYO0dIoNSLIezbWvqHXzh9RQFc9EfjJyJRE2a7y0ssSRtAYmDiNp8yC3xQ4D_mms0YlRBgicnh
very useless government that has no direction, at present minimum wage is 30k,plus wage award 35k,totalling 65k in some states like edo and lagos,recently edo declared 70k as minimum wage in the state which is still not in tune with current economic realities,the yeye committee now coming up with 48k as new minimum which will automatically stop wage award,isn't that a reduction?obviously these people have nothing good to offer...what a baloney!!!
Re: Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting by maasoap(m): 10:32am On May 16
Love800:
How pls?
What are you trying to point out?
To claim that the new minimum wage will cause hyper inflation is not an argument this time around because we're already dealing with hyper inflation. And civil servants are at the receiving end at the moment.
Since govt couldn't bring down the prices that has gone up like 4 folds in last eight months, the next thing to do is to let the salaries of those who are earning fixed income be increase. In this case, the new salary won't cause inflation, rather it will help the beneficiaries to catch up with the current prices of goods and services

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

El-Rufai's Tweet About Fuel Scarcity In 2014 (Throwback) / Crisis Looms In NASS As Staff Vows To Resist Inter-service Transfer / Kidnapped Wife Of Olugbenga Ale, Akeredolu's Chief Of Staff Rescued By Amotekun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.