Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,983 members, 7,835,297 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:15 AM

If Your Husband-To-Be "Murders" Queen's English Daily! - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / If Your Husband-To-Be "Murders" Queen's English Daily! (4532 Views)

Is It Polite For Husband To Seek Wife's Approval On This? / Will You Allow Your Husband To Bring A House Help Like This Into Your Home? / I Want My Husband To Be My Slave (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If Your Husband-To-Be "Murders" Queen's English Daily! by Ndipe(m): 12:43am On Nov 20, 2006
I agree with you, Vox, English language should not be a yardstick in your selection of a mate. Sure, we'd like an educated person for a spouse, but na English I go chop? How about you enroll them in college to grasp the fundamentals of the language. Thiefofhearts is out here bragging that she writes perfect English, but her writing does not reflect that. Please chill!!!
Re: If Your Husband-To-Be "Murders" Queen's English Daily! by ThiefOfHearts(f): 12:44am On Nov 20, 2006
Stfu.
Re: If Your Husband-To-Be "Murders" Queen's English Daily! by tseg(m): 12:47am On Nov 20, 2006
Well prepare for the worst of embarrassing situations ahead. That is if you wish to continue with him after all l you love him
Re: If Your Husband-To-Be "Murders" Queen's English Daily! by iice(f): 2:13pm On Nov 20, 2006
Why even get to the point of marriage if the english grammar or tone has been bothering you. Me sha, i like a man who speaks good english, he has to be better than i am although, my english sux sometimes tongue tongue
Re: If Your Husband-To-Be "Murders" Queen's English Daily! by Galadriel(f): 12:05am On Jul 31, 2007
This discussion is really interesting. About why Nigerians have adopted English as its official language, I think it should stay that way for the sake of peace. We do not have a unified language, and if we adopt any of the various languages or dialects we speak as the official language, hmm there might be uprising due to different ethnic groups shouting, "WHY DIDNT YOU PICK OUR OWN NOW? IS YOUR OWN LANGUAGE BETTER?"
Re: If Your Husband-To-Be "Murders" Queen's English Daily! by Ndipe(m): 2:15am On Jul 31, 2007
Galadriel, you know, this is something that crossed my mind a while back. Why do we have to adopt English Language as our Linga Franca, to the point of viewing our own languages with a negative vibe? Truth is that, any enforcement of a particular Nigerian language as the official language would create dissension among other ethnic groups, and perhaps give the 'favored' group a feeling of superiority over the rest. Maybe we can just set aside our differences and adopt just one of our native dialects. Sometimes ( and that falls on me too) I feel that having English as our official language defeats the purpose of being independent in the first place. On another thread, someone was criticizing the garb that a Nigerian official was wearing (it was our traditional garb) and the person was suggesting that the official should have choosen another outfit. Now, that did not seat well with some folks on this board.
Re: If Your Husband-To-Be "Murders" Queen's English Daily! by Galadriel(f): 4:21am On Jul 31, 2007
I get your point but would everyone be in agreement? I believe Nigeria has bigger issues than an official language and we need to face that now. The issue of adopting an official language would only be rocking an already capsized boat, considering the unease in the nation right now.
Re: If Your Husband-To-Be "Murders" Queen's English Daily! by Ndipe(m): 4:32am On Jul 31, 2007
Yeah, but how can we really regard ourselves as independent when we have adopted the languages of our colonial master? Tell me, in the villages, when grandkids visit their grandparents, there is that feeling of alienation experienced by the generation, due to language differences. Some parents would even say with pride that their children do no know how to converse in their native dialect.
Re: If Your Husband-To-Be "Murders" Queen's English Daily! by Galadriel(f): 12:55pm On Jul 31, 2007
We are independent ! the fact that I am a Nigerian and converse in Swahili doesnt make me any more south african than the south africans themselves. Adopting a country's language doesnt mean they rule us or we cant think for ourselves. Surely we are not blaming our problems on the fact that English is our national language. Its up to us as Nigerians to sell our identity to the world with pride through tourism and that way we preserve our culture. The fact that we are speaking English can not excuse the fact that we have been left to govern ourselves for the last 47yrs. What have we done since then?
Re: If Your Husband-To-Be "Murders" Queen's English Daily! by presido1: 1:15pm On Jul 31, 2007
@poster
If speaking English is one of the qualities you want from your Guy to be then the guys has not got all the qualities you are looking for. Its then left for you to decide if you going to accept him or not. Come to think of it if somebody has got all the quality then the person is perfect. Is their any perfect human being? if yes keep on serching but if your answer is NO" then curtail your requirments. Am out of here guys but will check back later.
Re: If Your Husband-To-Be "Murders" Queen's English Daily! by Agod: 1:43pm On Nov 30, 2007
Abeg, E no gud make we make Pigin one of our official languages. i feel d lang. na the main 4 awi land.
Re: If Your Husband-To-Be "Murders" Queen's English Daily! by amaikama(m): 9:44am On Apr 07, 2009
@poster!! what has English or language got to do with your feelins for each other angry
Re: If Your Husband-To-Be "Murders" Queen's English Daily! by typical: 10:39am On Apr 07, 2009
Even English citizens murder the language anyhow and they dont care.
Re: If Your Husband-To-Be "Murders" Queen's English Daily! by Excellentspirit(f): 8:40pm On Jan 24, 2013
Hmmmmmmm,jst passing bye.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Help / thanks evry1. / Please Advice Me On My Family Issue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.