Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,967 members, 7,863,442 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 05:49 PM

Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 (20149 Views)

Chinwe Nnabuife Fumes Over Inclusion Of Her Town In The Proposed New State / Minimum Wage: Labour Slashes Demand To ₦‎500,000 / Nigeria Struggles With N30,000, South Africa Increases Minimum Wage To N126,400 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by Yankee101: 12:45am On May 23
Na negotiating tactics

1 Like

Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by superCleanworks(m): 12:46am On May 23
Babysho:
It's funny that some on here are name calling NLC and saying 500k is too much. I can see that the psyche of poor Nigerians citizens are broken.

You soon lose sight of which way leads up when you are always being pushed down. - Akon.

Nigerians will glady hail a politician whose 16 year old daughter is driving a rolls Royce and flying presidential jet with public funds than to support those who stand in the face of government to say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

4 Likes

Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by bentenny(m): 1:01am On May 23
Doyin2:

Receive some sense.

There is no sense or tact in an extremely unrealistic,bogus and ridiculous demand,it portrays unseriousness ,clownishness and probably insanity.

Labour could have demanded for N150k and finally settle for not less than say N75k or even N100k.

Expecting government to pay for the stupidity of a fresh school cert holder earning a minimum wage,but decided to have a family of 6,is the highest level of insanity.

I believe you should go back and read your own comments while taking your own advise by gaining the same sense that you obviously lack!

How can you present your final bid as the first?
Being aware of a similar action of FG in the last negotiation of the minimum wage during the time of former NLC chairman necessitated bidding higher inorder to achieve their desired endpoint and so far it seems to be working as the FG will likely offer double their second offer when they meet with organised labour again!

That's called negotiation by logic which you obviously lack!

3 Likes

Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by bentenny(m): 1:03am On May 23
superCleanworks:

Please, don't stress yourself teaching common sense basics to suckling fools.
Walahi....I'm just baffled by the complete absence of common sense in nairaland!
At times I wonder if these people ever walked into a school!

1 Like

Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by Metrofox(m): 1:48am On May 23
bluebay:
We all know Nigeria cannot pay 200k sef as minimum.wage . Its not possible ... put the greed behind and face reality

we had 120$ under pdp ..
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by ussv: 1:49am On May 23
Make Labour sef get fear of God na ! 500K ?
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by Hotzone(m): 2:07am On May 23
615k or nothing, Ajaero don’t lose guard

1 Like

Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by Jagaban2012: 2:09am On May 23
will formally invite Peter Obi to the opening of my new Barber shop. He appears available to attend all events and post comments on social media since he is a jobless political failure. Therefore, I am using this platform to invite Mr. Peter Obi to my new Barber shop opening ceremony. Side attractions include barbecue, ice cream, doughnuts, and drinks.
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by Stallione(m): 2:21am On May 23
Labour mek una continue joking with our emotions, keep playing arnd with FG undecided
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by bluefilm: 3:00am On May 23
Jokers
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by Azazyel: 3:03am On May 23
500k as minimum wage? There's no sense in this except It is just a negotiation strategy. It would only cause inflation x10 cos Nigerians are so wicked. Once traders notice that minimum wage is 500k, just get ready to see magic. Bag of rice would become 400k. Farmers would do their own too. Everything would be too expensive. House rent would become like 10million per year for self con. embarassed anything above 100k is not sensible for now. I don't know if labour union can fight for workers to be paid per hour. If people are paid hourly, I believe there would be shifts and more spaces for people. Well... I might be wrong. Just thinking.
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by Vision101(m): 3:23am On May 23
OkpaNsukkaisBae:
500k can't do much in this economy.
You can go ahead and pay #1m and face the consequences.
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by Iamanoited: 3:48am On May 23
On what PRODUCTIVITY PLAN?
IT SHALL BE N50'000, A 67% INCREASE ON MUHAMMAD BUHARI 'S PRECEDENT..
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by Iamanoited: 3:52am On May 23
On what PRODUCTIVITY PLAN?
IT SHALL BE N50'000, A 67% INCREASE ON MUHAMMAD BUHARI 'S PRECEDENT..

ORISA37
NAIRA: DOLLAR MUST COME DOWN TO N500:$1 IMMEDIATELY.
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by ogbonti: 4:07am On May 23
magoo10:
A government that has the people in mind shouldn't pay less than 100k as minimum wage.

What are the workers producing that is of N100k value per month ? wages are a reflection of the value am employee’s task add to an organization’s profit margin or the government’s revenue drive - so because one is a staff of a government office, maybe a messenger for instance - and he or she sits down all day gossiping - (for the ladies, playing with their phone and doing make up and slaying on IG all day and when no one is watching, they just go home and they are done for the day, and the men form groups to propage lousy inclinations; talk about football all day and their side chics, then month ends, they want the government to pay them at least N600k ?

hmmm this joke is getting distasteful

For any employer - be it the government or private sector to pay anyone N600k a month, such employee must be bringing a value of at least N650k to the table.. If not, are they trying to to scam the government by demanding such outrageous minimum wage when actually they are redundant with no value or quality ? I am not understanding

I am talking as a Nigerian _American
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by Goodman247: 4:24am On May 23
Dey play
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by UzorIyke: 4:27am On May 23
bluebay:
We all know Nigeria cannot pay 200k sef as minimum.wage . Its not possible ... put the greed behind and face reality
All this things is negotiation, in my own opinion they want it to stop at 100K
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by honor4me: 4:32am On May 23
How about the multitudes that are not earning salaries or even unemployed? What will happen to those employed in the private sector? They will follow suit so that a primary school teacher will be earning nothing less than 500K/month? Now what will be the inflation level. One of our problems in this country was traced to Ndoji wage of the 70s. Why not be very realistic. Nairas value and purchasing power is low but not as bad as for minimum wage to be half a million. Even the 30K fixed sometimes ago is not easy to effect by the state governments. We need to be very realistic. It’s not a poverty mind set as someone observed up there but being very realistic
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by BizTrust: 4:40am On May 23
Dreams can come through
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by gabbytabby: 4:42am On May 23
They are just deceiving their members when they make unreasonable demands.

cremedelacreme:
Dem never fit pay 30K, na 500K una dey propose. Bunch of jokers. grin

1 Like

Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by Samaths001(m): 4:48am On May 23
NwaNimo1:
is that Last price?

. Pay for WAEC biology 08100654333
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by manmade(m): 4:48am On May 23
oluwaseyi0:
So in this people mind, the average private nursery school in Benue or Osun can afford to pay each of their teachers 500,000, and that one-man struggling business can afford to pay their cleaner 500,000k per month or you think minimum wage begins and ends at the public office, in fact, currently some states ain't even generating enough to pay the 30k minimum wage,

if level one step one is 500k, how much will fresh graduates which usually start at level 8 receive, 3.5million monthly I guess, then a level 13/14 senior public servant will receive 13m monthly or do you intend to pay level one step one 500k but intend to pay level fourteen 600k?

@ bolded, really? but they're generating enough to embezzled billions of dollars in 8 years and EFCC would be pursuing them up and down to recover the loots after their tenure expired.
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by greggng: 4:49am On May 23
Urgent1Million:
Illusion.
Even in the private sector where the real money is, it takes so much time for an employee to earn #500k.
I worked for 5 years before I struck the half a million naira salary.
In as much as I want Nigerian workers to have a good life and afford basic needs, labour should be reasonable enough to propose a minimum wage that the government can pay.

Your statement is very funny . Everyone is talking about what government can pay but nobody is bothered about what government is taking from.the people. Can 500k feed a family of 5 in the present day Nigeria? Bills inclusive. Right now electricity tariff has gone up . A tin of peak milk is now 1k to N1100. Add cost of transportation . Price of fuel has gone up . Have you visited the market recently ? 10k can't even cook a decent meal that can last a week . Every business is now at dead end in Nigeria...All this administration is interested in is how to tax the living hell out of the poor masses . There policy will further brew poverty and criminality ...a hungry man most find a way out .. .
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by magoo10(m): 4:54am On May 23
ogbonti:

What are the workers producing that is of N100k value per month ? wages are a reflection of the value am employee’s task add to an organization’s profit margin or the government’s revenue drive - so because one is a staff of a government office, maybe a messenger for instance - and he or she sits down all day gossiping - (for the ladies, playing with their phone and doing make up and slaying on IG all day and when no one is watching, they just go home and they are done for the day, and the men form groups to propage lousy inclinations; talk about football all day and their side chics, then month ends, they want the government to pay them at least N600k ?

hmmm this joke is getting distasteful

For any employer - be it the government or private sector to pay anyone N600k a month, such employee must be bringing a value of at least N650k to the table.. If not, are they trying to to scam the government by demanding such outrageous minimum wage when actually they are redundant with no value or quality ? I am not understanding

I am talking as a Nigerian _American

i am not proposing for employees that sit that to gossip like you said i am talking of workers in real sectors yes there are productive organisations than the one you belong.besides what is 100k a month in this economy.
Is it transport? Is it feeding? Is it clothing? What will 100k really do for a below average Nigerian let alone an average Nigerian?
Me i spend over 240k on fuel alone for my cars and generator and i dont even know where to classify myself whether average Nigerian or below average Nigerian.
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by yemex04(m): 5:04am On May 23
The joke is on NLC if they think 500k a minimum wage for govt.workers is realistic.. I will still take it as their own strategy of getting good deal from the Govt.
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by kolakolex: 5:25am On May 23
oluwaseyi0:
So in this people mind, the average private nursery school in Benue or Osun can afford to pay each of their teachers 500,000, and that one-man struggling business can afford to pay their cleaner 500,000k per month or you think minimum wage begins and ends at the public office, in fact, currently some states ain't even generating enough to pay the 30k minimum wage,

if level one step one is 500k, how much will fresh graduates which usually start at level 8 receive, 3.5million monthly I guess, then a level 13/14 senior public servant will receive 13m monthly or do you intend to pay level one step one 500k but intend to pay level fourteen 600k?

I know so many people receiving less than minimum wage in benue.Benue State government are struggling to pay 30k minimum wage and labour wants 500k.

They concentrate on government employees forgetting the private sector.All of us cannot work for government na.

1 Like

Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by ajerimitan: 5:30am On May 23
People are not asking the right questions. Those shouting 500k or something what are they producing.? Who amongst them have a single grain of corn planted in his or her compound?. Are these not the same set of workers that will laze off all day at their respective offices and pay no attention to public complaint. Are these not the same people who will tell you that whatever you need to process you should come very early in the morning knowing fully well that they will never be there so early and will be closing earlier than expected. For example the Government dental center at the oyo state library mokola Ibadan just behind the popular Cocoa house. Is our economy ripe enough for the rubbish wage proposal by the labour union. What type of school did they all attend. Are they all professors of nonsense and doctors of rubbish?. Sometimes I laugh at their senseless way of reasoning. A Dangote or Otedola or Billgates will never reason like that. No wonder when you see a man who looks up to his fellow man to live and survive or feed his family never expect loyalty or love or trust such fellow. He has done himself enough harm and he will never think twice to destroy yours. Employers know all these and they put the these caliber of people in their rightful place. So the workers think they. Can rip and reap the economy with some useless paper printed in bulk. What value do they think it will have by then. We are putting the chart before the horse. Our thinking is lopsided. It is the market forces and the level of productivity of Nigerians that will determine the minimum wage and not the Labour Unions.
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by geoworldedu: 5:44am On May 23
cremedelacreme:
Dem never fit pay 30K, na 500K una dey propose. Bunch of jokers. grin
Calling them jokers tell who the real jokers are. They are working based on what is real but you want them to present a poverty -stricken minimum wage like 100k or 120k at initial stage so that they can eventually arrive at 50k? Maybe you didn't realise that 120k is like 20k of 3 years back in value.
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by geoworldedu: 5:47am On May 23
yemex04:
The joke is on NLC if they think 500k a minimum wage for govt.workers is realistic.. I will still take it as their own strategy of getting good deal from the Govt.

If the government says something reasonable I am sure the NLC will make a compromise. But what do we have? A government that's proposing 50k. Does that make sense? 150k is okay in this inflation-stricken country.
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by bitingcool: 5:56am On May 23
All of the people saying 500k is ridiculous,
Has anyone pondered that lawmakers earn ridiculous amounts too.
Let the ridiculous meet the ridiculous.
As long as the select few are comfortable with a ridiculous pay, let NLC also propose a ridiculous pay for its workers.
No one has monopoly of ridiculousness.
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by geoworldedu: 5:58am On May 23
femmy2010:
LABOUR is a clown ,throwing more money at our problem is creating a bigger problem.
Labour should encourage government to close the wage disparity.
N60k minimum wage looks realistic.
E be like say Nigerians like poverty well well sha grin 60k minimum wage ko, 60k minidad wage ni undecided
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by PrinceofSarcasm: 6:00am On May 23
Remman:
Mehn! Jokes have levels, but this one is beyond levels. 500 wetin?

Let also the government joke like Buhari by accepting and sign.

100k is still a terrible joke. But i know what they're trying to do anyway. They want the government to use their own mouth to pronounce something close to 100k so that if they refuse to pay, it won't be as if the amount was imposed.

Great job, Guys... Please keep it up!

You are not human

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Heavy Security, Panic Buying As IPOB Holds Biafra Heroes Day / Jimoh Ibrahim Joins Twitter: "They Never Told Me The Level Of Disrespect Here" / Lagos Starts Total Evacuation Of Tankers On Apapa-oshodi Expressway

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.