Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,996 members, 7,863,585 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 08:45 PM

Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 (20150 Views)

Chinwe Nnabuife Fumes Over Inclusion Of Her Town In The Proposed New State / Minimum Wage: Labour Slashes Demand To ₦‎500,000 / Nigeria Struggles With N30,000, South Africa Increases Minimum Wage To N126,400 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by Remman(m): 11:56am On May 23
beejay85:

but millions paid to senators and HOR members since 1999 isn't a joke right?
Am not sorry to pronounce u a fool sir...but am sorry for d foul language
You're rather describing yourself. Why not insist on the government fixing its constitution and policies that allow politicians to be unaccountable rather than sending the country into more recession. 500k as minimum wage would force the government to print more money which would in turn cause inflation such that only public servants can be able to afford anything while the rest of the citizens would be unable to buy anything due to high cost of things. What the government needs to do is empower the unemployed youths to be self reliance and boost our production, this alone would make everything very cheap as there will be surplus products and the need for minimum wage increase won't be necessary. This one is like adding pepper to wound because things will even be worse.
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by MysteryofLight: 1:47pm On May 23
cremedelacreme:
Dem never fit pay 30K, na 500K una dey propose. Bunch of jokers. grin
Since dem Sabi remove subsidy and float naira and no gree revert then NLC too must collect their own share o.
NLC,no gree for anybody o.
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by MysteryofLight: 1:50pm On May 23
Remman:
You're rather describing yourself. Why not insist on the government fixing its constitution and policies that allow politicians to be unaccountable rather than sending the country into more recession. 500k as minimum wage would force the government to print more money which would in turn cause inflation such that only public servants can be able to afford anything while the rest of the citizens would be unable to buy anything due to high cost of things. What the government needs to do is empower the unemployed youths to be self reliance and boost our production, this alone would make everything very cheap as there will be surplus products and the need for minimum wage increase won't be necessary. This one is like adding pepper to wound because things will even be worse.
Oga drop this your argument jare.Didn't FG know that subsidy removal and floating of naira would lead to inflation?
Weren't they prepared to deal with the resulting inflation?.
FG doesn't have the monopoly of destruction let the pay labour their demanded minimum wage.To hell with the consequent inflation.
#NLCnogreeforfg
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by triplechoice(m): 2:52pm On May 23
Vision101:

You can go ahead and pay #1m and face the consequences.

Which consequences?

You think 500k of today still has value?

Your naira is almost as worthless as tissue paper. These days,it doesn't exchange for much with other major currencies of the world, the dollar and pounds.

The actual value of your 500k is 3 times less in value than what it was a year ago. But because your mind is still stuck in the past when 500k was worth something, you still think paying that amount as minimum wage is too much money. It's not.

What can you get from the market these days with 500k that can match up with what you got a year ago? Is it food, clothing, transport or what?

The actual value of a nation's currency is what it can get for you from the market and not the figures attached to it.There are some African countries whose citizens are being paid millions in their local currency which when converted to naira will give you less., thousands in naira ,instead of millions. That's exactly the same situation the present government as created in Nigeria after floating the naira.

Tinubu led federal government has created an imbalance in the system and the only way to balance things so the economy doesn't crash in the long run is to increase wages to meet up with the current economic climate. Purchasing power is not like before.

Anything less than 250 to 300k we lead to more problems for the economy.

Manufacturers in this country are already complaining that their products are pilling up in their ware houses because of little or no saies yet you're here talking of consequences based on your theoretical understanding of what you read in an economic textbook which doesn't apply in real life.

If the naira still has much value like before and there's no inflation in the country,then, it may lead to consequences if minimum wage is increased to 500k. But unfortunately your naira is almost as worthless as shit money and so, 500k is nothing and won't result to that you fear may happen.
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by triplechoice(m): 3:10pm On May 23
thesicilian:

I'm not for any of them, I'm what you can call an innocent bystander. Those who are used to negotiations will realise that one of the major rules is never to demand for what the other party cannot give you. If you were an employer of labour and your employee (let's say a cleaner) that you pay N30,000 monthly walks into your office to demand for a 1566% pay increase to N500,000, what would be your first reaction? No matter how nice you are as a boss, I'm sure your first reaction would be to laugh before sending him or her out of your office

You people still think your naira still has value like before? No.

If the value of the naira still remains the same,then it's unreasonable to ask for 1566% increase , but when it has been devalued greatly, then it's reasonable to ask for an increase to meet up with current reality especially when you the employer has also increased the cost of either the goods and services you offer to the public to gain more money.

Tinubu led federal government has announced to the world that after removing subsidy and floating the naira government revenue has increased, it has tripled , and they now have money to share monthly to all the states in Nigeria.

If this is true why should the citizens of this country not also benefit. Or is the money only meant for the governors?
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by thesicilian: 3:16pm On May 23
triplechoice:

You people still think your naira still has value like before? No.

If the value of the naira still remains the same,then it's unreasonable to ask for 1566% increase , but when it has been devalued greatly, then it's reasonable to ask for an increase to meet up with current reality especially when you the employer has also increased the cost of either the goods and services you offer to the public to gain more money.

Tinubu led federal government has announced to the world that after removing subsidy and floating the naira government revenue has increased, it has tripled , and they now have money to share monthly to all the states in Nigeria.

If this is true why should the citizens of this country not also benefit. Or is the money only meant for the governors?
k
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by ogbonti: 3:25pm On May 23
magoo10:
firstly in my write up i proposed 100k and not 600k which is very reasonable considering the cost of things abi will someone work for you pay transport,feed ,clothe then at tue end of month you tell him thank you.
Secondly you are not even in Nigeria to understand my point so there is no need for the argument.

I may not be physically in Nigeria - but I have lots of family members and friends who communicate with me everyday through social media - I am ways here on Nairaland at my down times from work or bed time to scan the news and happenings in Nigeria - when in traffic going to work or coming from work - I have my Bluetooth headset on and listen to Nigerian news from Arise TV, Channels and sometimes even TVC - I visit Nigeria at least once a year and spend at least 1 month since the last 15 years (only missed 2020 due to covid) - so what are you talking about like I do not know what is happening in Nigeria ? even street interviews at market places "Bystanders" I watch them on weekends - I listen to Paranran Mock News - Ned Media and many more outlets - so I am on top of whats going on in Nigeria - maybe I know more than you do grin grin grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1NmhHCnU8w&t=229s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2syAa9I4Qk4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tYmD5Yi8q8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_PKjj-K0tQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVza60qYak4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xodpzxSVcKk

just to let you know grin grin grin - SO MAKE YOUR CASE ON FACTS - WHY DO THESE WORKERS DESERVE MORE MONEY than their services are worth?
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by triplechoice(m): 3:31pm On May 23
ogbonti:

I understand your point but you are not answering my question about is it worth to someone at the minimum level such minimum wage - do yoi mnow what minimum wage is? its not for company executives or skilled managers- its for the lowest level employees and I gave you am example of a messenger- so please remove emotions and justify in terms of productivity- ! why a messenger deserves N600k salary !

Whatever his services are, will you pay him N600k if he were your employee? does his absence from work in a month cost the organization or company he works for profits or revenue worth N600k ? These are my arguments

I am sorry I may appear mean or insensitive to you because of my hard stance on this issue - but I have an MBA degree here at UCLA and this is how I was trained to evaluate wages and compensation - objective analysis, not raw emotions - This is why a soccer player can earn $500,000 a week for playing just 2 matches - of 90 minutes each and probably another 90 minutes trainingthat week - so for 270 minutes a football player made $500k while someone works for 40 years and will never make up to $500k in total earnings —/ you know why? The Value of service provided, the market for such services, revenue accrued for that service, demand amd supply forces, quality, all determines wages of every worker!
The bolded shows you don't understand what minimum wage is at all. You have a layman understanding of it.

Minimum wage is synonymous with living wage which is the least amount of salary that can afford an average worker the basic necessities of life for himself and his other family members. If 100k is what can make that happen,then that's the minimum wage and should be paid to him. If it's 600k then also pay him that if not you're enslaving the person.

So, do your honest calculations and tell us what can afford a cleaner with a family of 3 in the present day Nigeria the basic necessities of life.

Modified. You said you have an MBA and yet you don't understand the concept of minimum wage. It's a shame you're using what's obtainable in Nigeria alone where businesses are notorious for underpaying their staff to interpret what's minimum wage. And you also don't know that the value of the currency used in paying wages is what determines what you pay.
Will a cleaner in the UK be paid the equivalent of 600k Nigeria currency ?
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by ogbonti: 3:41pm On May 23
triplechoice:

The bolded shows you don't understand what minimum wage is at all. You have a layman understanding of it.

Minimum wage is synonymous with living wage which is the least amount of salary that can afford an average worker the basic necessities of life for himself and his other family members. If 100k is what can make that happen,then that's the minimum wage and should be paid to him. If it's 600k then also pay him that if not you're enslaving the person.

So, do your honest calculations and tell us what can afford a cleaner with a family of 3 in the present day Nigeria the basic necessities of life.
Modified. You said you have an MBA and yet you don't understand the concept of minimum wage. It's a shame you're using what's obtainable in Nigeria alone where businesses are notorious for underpaying their staff to interpret what's minimum wage.

Dude - you are the bricklayer here talking with emotions - Every system or country has more private sector jobs than public sector jobs --- If government jobs in any country is 20,000 for instance - know that the private sector (private owned companies) have 2 million openings or positions - so let me ask you, for instance ----- you want to provide a living wage for your gateman who is a hard worker and you have 10 employees in your company and that your company makes N3 Million profits a month -- IF YOU AND YOUR 10 EMPLOYEES EARN THE SO-CALLED MINIMUM WAGE OF N600K MONTHLY -- THAT WILL BE N6.6Million in salaries only ---- where will you get the remaining N3.6 Million to pay yourselves the "LIVING WAGE"? ---------------> grin This is even considering your company ONLY exist to pay minimum wage NOT to make profits or progress
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by triplechoice(m): 4:41pm On May 23
ogbonti:

Dude - you are the bricklayer here talking with emotions - Every system or country has more private sector jobs than public sector jobs --- If government jobs in any country is 20,000 for instance - know that the private sector (private owned companies) have 2 million openings or positions - so let me ask you, for instance ----- you want to provide a living wage for your gateman who is a hard worker and you have 10 employees in your company and that your company makes N3 Million profits a month -- IF YOU AND YOUR 10 EMPLOYEES EARN THE SO-CALLED MINIMUM WAGE OF N600K MONTHLY -- THAT WILL BE N6.6Million in salaries only ---- where will you get the remaining N3.6 Million to pay yourselves the "LIVING WAGE"? ---------------> grin This is even considering your company ONLY exist to pay minimum wage NOT to make profits or progress

Hehehe

You're the one working with emotions here because you're ignorant of the fact that minimum wage is law in Nigeria like everywhere else in the world.

It's not what you as a private business man has decided to pay your lowest paid staff based on what you make from your business.

If your profit as a business man after tax is not enough to enable you pay minimum wage, living wage, to the lowest paid staff in your organization,then don't employ those people .Do the work yourself until you can afford a cleaner, gardener, gateman etc. That's what the law says in Nigeria. But Nigerians don't like obeying the laws of their country.

Moreover, in Nigeria, it's only those in the private sector with a staff strength of above 25 workers in their payroll that are mandated by law to pay minimum wage. Less than that figure don't pay. In the public sector everyone is captured. No exemption. You just learnt something from me today and should be thanking me instead of trying to mock me.

Please Google the minimum wage act signed into law by Buhari in March 2019, read all of it to confirm what
I just explained ,and come back, thank me and then let's continue the discussion. .
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by ogbonti: 6:16pm On May 23
triplechoice:

Hehehe

You're the one working with emotions here because you're ignorant of the fact that minimum wage is law in Nigeria like everywhere else in the world.

It's not what you as a private business man has decided to pay your lowest paid staff based on what you make from your business.

If your profit as a business man after tax is not enough to enable you pay minimum wage, living wage, to the lowest paid staff in your organization,then don't employ those people .Do the work yourself until you can afford a cleaner, gardener, gateman etc. That's what the law says in Nigeria. But Nigerians don't like obeying the laws of their country.

Moreover, in Nigeria, it's only those in the private sector with a staff strength of above 25 workers in their payroll that are mandated by law to pay minimum wage. Less than that figure don't pay. In the public sector everyone is captured. No exemption. You just learnt something from me today and should be thanking me instead of trying to mock me.

Please Google the minimum wage act signed into law by Buhari in March 2019, read all of it to confirm what
I just explained ,and come back, thank me and then let's continue the discussion. .

Thank you ? What a sense of senile entitlement

I may have made a hypothetical scenario, (for explanation reasons only) that was not the main focus of my analysis

Thats what shallow minds like you do, you amplify the inconsequential to drown the most important part of an argument which is “How do you pay people N600k ? the business - wether 100 or 200 workers.. IF the services rendered is not enough to generate the profit to pay people that amount of money, where will that money come from?

America here for instance has $7.25 as minimum wage. A fast food restaurant can pay even $9.50
an hour to their workers becase based on their sales on a given 8 hour shift, that worker makes a profit for the business worth $50 from the fries he cooks, burgers he prepares, packing of the food, delivery at the drive through- all that - so the fast food company has no problem paying even $10 an hour to that employee- which is even more than the minimum wage.

But in Nigeria, What value is your gate man, your driver, your messenger- your cleaner providing to warrant that amount of money - N600k a month? You cant tell me—-/ instead you are whipping up sentiments of applications for thank you mesaages on nairaland when you cant even answer a basic question.

For instance, If my company driver who claims he deserves N600k minimum wage fails to come to work for a month, will my business suffer a loss of N600k? heck No

I will drive myself to work, or probably catch a uber to work - pay N2,500 to go to work, N2,500 back which is N5k - X 20 work days a month = N100k … and then I dont even have to buy fuel because the uber ride is not my car

so what justifies that N600k pay for that company driver ? Even if there are 200 workers in that company- Business organizations are not charity- earnings are justified and if the cost/ benefit doesnt tally, it wont work - that position will be eliminated, the driver loses his job. Would you rather he is employed and earns N75,000 or is unemployed and looking for N600k (minimum wage work) without access to shi shi at the end of the month?

A person who makes $7.25 minimum wage in America can only do what someone who earns N60k to N75k can do in Nigeria - do you know how much is monthly rent in the USA ? No apartment is less than $500 a month in rents, and that must be some ghetto apartment with lots of crime, poor sanitation and general terrible neighbors. So a person making $7.25 and works 160 hours a month, which is (40 hours a week) Thats $1,160 a month before Taxes- Take away 10% Federal Income tax, ($116) take away $80 for Social Security and Medicare, whats left ? $964

He or she pays $500 for an apartment- pays light $75, pays water $50 - buys monthly bus card to go and come back from work $50 - Feed himself for the month $250 (thats the least he can get to pay for food to last him a month) then he pays cell phone - some cheap cricket phone $39—- what is left ? $0

He cant buy beer, he cant buy a shirt, he cant even take a lady out on a date - No savinsg - so is this minimum wage of $7.25 a living wage in “Almighty America” ? Heck No

The rent took more than 50% of the earnings BUt you have people in Edo State, Nigeria who make minimum wage of N70,000 and their monthly rent in a comfortable apartment is N10,000 to N15,000 a month

So this “LIVING” minimum wage of N600k brouhaha going on in Nigeria is dead on arrival -
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by triplechoice(m): 7:07pm On May 23
ogbonti:

I may have made a hypothetical scenario, (for explanation reasons only) that was not the main focus of my analysis

Thats what shallow minds like you do, you amplify the inconsequential to drown the most important part of an argument which is “How do you pay people N600k ? the business - wether 100 or 200 workers.. IF the services rendered is not enough to generate the profit to pay people that amount of money, where will that money come from?

America here for instance has $7.25 as minimum wage. A fast food restaurant can pay even $9.50
an hour to their workers becase based on their sales on a given 8 hour shift, that worker makes a profit for the business worth $50 from the fries he cooks, burgers he prepares, packing of the food, delivery at the drive through- all that - so the fast food company has no problem paying even $10 an hour to that employee- which is even more than the minimum wage.

But in Nigeria, What value is your gate man, your driver, your messenger- your cleaner providing to warrant that amount of money - N600k a month? You cant tell me—-/ instead you are whipping up sentiments of applications for thank you mesaages on nairaland when you cant even answer a basic question.

For instance, If my company driver who claims he deserves N600k minimum wage fails to come to work for a month, will my business suffer a loss of N600k? heck No

I will drive myself to work, or probably catch a uber to work - pay N2,500 to go to work, N2,500 back which is N5k - X 20 work days a month = N100k … and then I dont even have to buy fuel because the uber ride is not my car

so what justifies that N600k pay for that company driver ? Even if there are 200 workers in that company- Business organizations are not charity- earnings are justified and if the cost/ benefit doesnt tally, it wont work - that position will be eliminated, the driver loses his job. Would you rather he is employed and earns N75,000 or is unemployed and looking for N600k (minimum wage work) without access to shi shi at the end of the month?

A person who makes $7.25 minimum wage in America can only do what someone who earns N60k to N75k can do in Nigeria - do you know how much is monthly rent in the USA ? No apartment is less than $500 a month in rents, and that must be some ghetto apartment with lots of crime, poor sanitation and general terrible neighbors. So a person making $7.25 and works 160 hours a month, which is (40 hours a week) Thats $1,160 a month before Taxes- Take away 10% Federal Income tax, ($116) take away $80 for Social Security and Medicare, whats left ? $964

He or she pays $500 for an apartment- pays light $75, pays water $50 - buys monthly bus card to go and come back from work $50 - Feed himself for the month $250 (thats the least he can get to pay for food to last him a month) then he pays cell phone - some cheap cricket phone $39—- what is left ? $0

He cant buy beer, he cant buy a shirt, he cant even take a lady out on a date - No savinsg - so is this minimum wage of $7.25 a living wage in “Almighty America” ? Heck No

The rent took more than 50% of the earnings BUt you have people in Edo State, Nigeria who make minimum wage of N70,000 and their monthly rent in a comfortable apartment is N10,000 to N15,000 a month

So this “LIVING” minimum wage of N600k brouhaha going on in Nigeria is dead on arrival -

My friend go and Google the minimum wage act and get the answer to your questions and stop the emotional rantimg.

Your latest reply shows you didn't bother to read what I explained or bother to Google what they laws says about those who aren't capable of paying minimum wage in Nigeria. If you did, you won't keep asking me the silly question you keep asking me. You just what to use your common sense without making sense as it concerns the law.

There's a law guiding minimum wage implementation in Nigeria both in the public and private sector.Go and read it first and get
your questions answered before coming to Nairaland to display your ignorance
Mr MBA graduate.

SMH

Modified. Minimum wage law in Nigeria applies only to Nigerian workers who are qualified to receive it. It's not for everyone. Don't use the law in Nigeria it to interpret what's obtainable in the US
If you do ,then you're making a mistake .

Minimum wage in America is it monthly or hourly?
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by triplechoice(m): 7:25pm On May 23
ogbonti:

-
You're projecting yourself. You're the shallow minded person who can't understand what's explained for you in simple English language.
I already answered the question you're asking me again. Minimum wage in Nigeria is not for every employer of labour in Nigeria to pay.Some people are exempted and can negotiate what they capable of paying their employees. Na wah o. You nor they read

Minimum wage is law in Nigeria. You must obey the laws of the land once you're not exempted from minimum wage. 25 staff is what's required under the law.If you can't pay then it means your business is not profitable. Then close shop and look for something else to do instead of employing people to pay them slave salary. Slavery as been abolished long ago

I'm not the government who came up with the law. Direct your anger to the right people and not me
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by Geesaintagape: 7:51pm On May 23
Las Las na federal workers go enjoy minimum wage
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by ogbonti: 9:12pm On May 23
triplechoice:
You're projecting yourself. You're the shallow minded person who can't understand what's explained for you in simple English language.
I already answered the question you're asking me again. Minimum wage in Nigeria is not for every employer of labour in Nigeria to pay.Some people are exempted and can negotiate what they capable of paying their employees. Na wah o. You nor they read

Minimum wage is law in Nigeria. You must obey the laws of the land once you're not exempted from minimum wage. 25 staff is what's required under the law.If you can't pay then it means your business is not profitable. Then close shop and look for something else to do instead of employing people to pay them slave salary. Slavery as been abolished long ago

I'm not the government who came up with the law. Direct your anger to the right people and not me

how many of your states in Nigeria could pay the minimum wage of N30K since the law was passed ? ozuor grin una never fi t pay N30k na N600k ona won pay --- dey play in the circus called Nigeria grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWLWnxCSrJQ
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by HIPROFILE(m): 12:29am On May 24
superCleanworks:

is this what your mom and dad told you? or you just wan follow talk like small pikin make we notice you.
Have you ever stood up to challenge anybody in your life? not to talk of risking everything to challenge government? Or you just sit near the kitchen waiting for your mom to finish cooking while you type rubbish.

Hey Bro I am used to your type on nairaland its been many years here and going… Well your type is the reason I already concluded that Naija will never get better most unfortunately your type with your sick mentality happened to be much more in the society.

Now are you trying to say that Mr Ajaero did not know the tax and implications of being NLC president in Nigeria of today before accepting the offer?
So because of the challenges and fear for his life he should keep mute and align with this present government to downplay the priceless effort of workers in Nigeria? where their current wage can not afford meaningful food items for basic livelihood?
Well i guess you are part of the supporters of APC and Tinubu who was asked how would he manage the affairs of the the nation and he said he will hit the ground running. at another event he said “na statistics we go chop?” today look at him and his government how they are actually managing the country with trial and error approach because they have your kind of mindset which is “ Dont border about the position just get it by all means then when you get to the bridge you will cross it! that is the kind of mentality you have which is a total mediocrity and leads you no where. Now tell me are you proud of yourself?…well ofcourse you will be proud as a bonafide mediocre that you are.
If you can not function why take up the responsibilty… let me narrow it down to the point you will understand cos am sure you are daft. Here I go Bro! If you can not discharge the duties of a father as it can be extremely challenging atimes why take someones daughter in marriage and put her in a family way🤷🏼‍♂️ Come! try deh use your head! Do take out time to reason with your God gifted brains in your skull and stop fooooling around here Mind you, you just crossed 40 remember that saying that goes……….
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by Vision101(m): 3:07am On May 24
triplechoice:

Which consequences?

You think 500k of today still has value?

Your naira is almost as worthless as tissue paper. These days,it doesn't exchange for much with other major currencies of the world, the dollar and pounds.

The actual value of your 500k is 3 times less in value than what it was a year ago. But because your mind is still stuck in the past when 500k was worth something, you still think paying that amount as minimum wage is too much money. It's not.

What can you get from the market these days with 500k that can match up with what you got a year ago? Is it food, clothing, transport or what?

The actual value of a nation's currency is what it can get for you from the market and not the figures attached to it.There are some African countries whose citizens are being paid millions in their local currency which when converted to naira will give you less., thousands in naira ,instead of millions. That's exactly the same situation the present government as created in Nigeria after floating the naira.

Tinubu led federal government has created an imbalance in the system and the only way to balance things so the economy doesn't crash in the long run is to increase wages to meet up with the current economic climate. Purchasing power is not like before.

Anything less than 250 to 300k we lead to more problems for the economy.

Manufacturers in this country are already complaining that their products are pilling up in their ware houses because of little or no saies yet you're here talking of consequences based on your theoretical understanding of what you read in an economic textbook which doesn't apply in real life.

If the naira still has much value like before and there's no inflation in the country,then, it may lead to consequences if minimum wage is increased to 500k. But unfortunately your naira is almost as worthless as shit money and so, 500k is nothing and won't result to that you fear may happen.
All these your epistle is meaningless. If the least paid worker earns 500k, the middle earners will most likely earn #2m - 5m. A GM will most likely earn #50m. The employers that will pay them will pass them on to the prices of their products and services. Then a packet of the cheapest biscuit will be #1,000. Landlords will increase average rent of a flat from present #600k to #2m.

What will be the worth of your currency and what did you gain by high wages.

Labour is just playing to the gallery to please the public. They know that their figures are unrealistic.
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by triplechoice(m): 12:49pm On May 24
Vision101:

All these your epistle is meaningless. If the least paid worker earns 500k, the middle earners will most likely earn #2m - 5m. A GM will most likely earn #50m. The employers that will pay them will pass them on to the prices of their products and services. Then a packet of the cheapest biscuit will be #1,000. Landlords will increase average rent of a flat from present #600k to #2m.

What will be the worth of your currency and what did you gain by high wages.

Labour is just playing to the gallery to please the public. They know that their figures are unrealistic.
My friend you're ignorant. Minimum wage is for the lowest paid worker. Those at that top only enjoy marginal increase once minimum wage is reviewed upwards. It's not what you think. Go and verify from anyone you know working in the civil service.

Another thing, is that your mind is still stuck in the past and because of that you're not aware of the current value of your naira. It has been devalued after it was floated to the extent it's now almost as worthless as tissue paper. 500k doesn't have the same value like before. It's just about 150k now when you exchange it with the dollar.

And again, minimum is going to be paid to less than 5 percent of the population in Nigeria , and not everyone to cause inflation. If about 60 percent and upwards will receive it ,then you can start talking about inflation.

You're blinded by figures
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by triplechoice(m): 1:41pm On May 24
ogbonti:

how many of your states in Nigeria could pay the minimum wage of N30K since the law was passed ? ozuor grin una never fi t pay N30k na N600k ona won pay --- dey play in the circus called Nigeria grin

I'm not surprised you came up with this half truth. You're not too well informed.

States not paying minimum wage are few and they're paying close to minimum wage . Some pay 27k 28 or 25k .

Some States are even paying more than the minimum wage. Why don't use those ones as example?

"Ara" ozour If you don't still understand that the 600k is just a proposal.

An MBA graduate who doesn't know minimum wage is law in every country. If you're asked to mentioned the states not paying and the ones paying, you won't be able to.
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by triplechoice(m): 1:55pm On May 24
Cmanforall:
cheesy grin

Economic experts that are doing wonders to your Nigerian economy

I laugh grin

I don't fear anything.
It's you who will suffer it if things get worse.
I'm above suffering. My life is made already. I'm only here to fight for your own future so your government don't continue to enslave you.
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by ogbonti: 2:12pm On May 24
triplechoice:

I'm not surprised you came up with this half truth. You're not too well informed.

States not paying minimum wage are few and they're paying close to minimum wage . Some pay 27k 28 or 25k .

Some States are even paying more than the minimum wage. Why don't use those ones as example?

"Ara" ozour If you don't still understand that the 600k is just a proposal.

An MBA graduate who doesn't know minimum wage is law in every country. If you're asked to mentioned the states not paying and the ones paying, you won't be able to.

grin grin grin grin grin you claim something is A LAW - so close to, a bit above, a bit below, nearly to, quarter to the amount in the law --- IS THAT THE LAW? Igbakuan, uhun no gba be, Ozuor, am asking you? grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by Cmanforall: 3:51pm On May 24
triplechoice:

I'm above suffering. My life is made already. I'm only here to fight for your own future so your government don't continue to enslave you.

Whose future?
Keep that fight to yourself and your generations.

Good your life is made. I'm not here for my personal interest, and won't say certain things here. I wish Nigerians well
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by Vision101(m): 4:22pm On May 24
triplechoice:

My friend you're ignorant. Minimum wage is for the lowest paid worker. Those at that top only enjoy marginal increase once minimum wage is reviewed upwards. It's not what you think. Go and verify from anyone you know working in the civil service.

Another thing, is that your mind is still stuck in the past and because of that you're not aware of the current value of your naira. It has been devalued after it was floated to the extent it's now almost as worthless as tissue paper. 500k doesn't have the same value like before. It's just about 150k now when you exchange it with the dollar.

And again, minimum is going to be paid to less than 5 percent of the population in Nigeria , and not everyone to cause inflation. If about 60 percent and upwards will receive it ,then you can start talking about inflation.

You're blinded by figures

Very funny man. You call a chartered accountant ignorant in matters of wages, finance and inflation. Anyway this is public forum. Have you ever heard of consequential adjustment? No further mention please.
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by triplechoice(m): 5:37pm On May 24
Vision101:

Very funny man. You call a chartered accountant ignorant in matters of wages, finance and inflation. Anyway this is public forum. Have you ever heard of consequential adjustment? No further mention please.

Go back to your previous comment and see it wasn't consequential adjustment you talked about You were doubling each level like a layman as if that's how it's done in the civil service. You gave very wild figures. Instead of admitting your mistakes you want to brag.
The civil service wage structure is not the same as those in the private sector in case you don't know , Mr accountant
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by Vision101(m): 7:38pm On May 24
triplechoice:

Go back to your previous comment and see it wasn't consequential adjustment you talked about You were doubling each level like a layman as if that's how it's done in the civil service. You gave very wild figures. Instead of admitting your mistakes you want to brag.
The civil service wage structure is not the same as those in the private sector in case you don't know , Mr accountant
Minimum wage law all over the world covers all workers whether private or public sector. It's a law that sets the minimum every worker should earn in a particular country. If I work in a company where my driver earns 30k and I earn #500k, if his pay is increased to 500k are you expecting my pay to remain the same?

This is my last reply to you. Stop disturbing me. I'm forced to tell you that you lack proper understanding of what you are talking about.
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by triplechoice(m): 8:24pm On May 24
Vision101:

Minimum wage law all over the world covers all workers whether private or public sector. It's a law that sets the minimum every worker should earn in a particular country. If I work in a company where my driver earns 30k and I earn #500k, if his pay is increased to 500k are you expecting my pay to remain the same?

This is my last reply to you. Stop disturbing me. I'm forced to tell you that you lack proper understanding of what you are talking about.

You're the one not too well informed about what you think you know.

First of all, the 500k being proposed by labour won't happen. So stop using that figure and focus on reality., That' figure is for negotiation purposes. This is what labour do each time they're negotiating with government.

Secondly, you just proved you don't know what's stipulated in the minimum act signed into law by Buhari in March 2019 and because of that you have been arguing from a position of stubborn ignorance and also from what you Googled about other country's minimum wage act which doesn't apply here in Nigeria.

FYI, apart from those in public sector,it's only private businesses with 25 staff and above in their payroll that pays minimum wage in Nigeria. That's what the law says. Go and confirm it. Contract staff, artisans, and some others in the private sector are exempted from receiving minimum wage. And again go confirm and come back and tell me I'm lying. Those in the public sector are the ones who enjoy minimum wage more than any

Just provide data in support of your claim. Don't just say things and expect me to swallow it because you're claiming accountant on a public forum where it's impossible to know if you're telling the truth or not.

If you're yet to know that's it's just about 5 percent of the workers in Nigeria that receives minimum wage under the laws of this county, which is not supposed to be so, then no need replying me. I won't read your nonsense and half truths anyone until you say something you can substantiate.

Just go and Google the minimum wage act to get yourself informed.
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by manmade(m): 8:36pm On May 24
ogbonti:

What are the workers producing that is of N100k value per month ? wages are a reflection of the value am employee’s task add to an organization’s profit margin or the government’s revenue drive - so because one is a staff of a government office, maybe a messenger for instance - and he or she sits down all day gossiping - (for the ladies, playing with their phone and doing make up and slaying on IG all day and when no one is watching, they just go home and they are done for the day, and the men form groups to propage lousy inclinations; talk about football all day and their side chics, then month ends, they want the government to pay them at least N600k ?

hmmm this joke is getting distasteful

For any employer - be it the government or private sector to pay anyone N600k a month, such employee must be bringing a value of at least N650k to the table.. If not, are they trying to to scam the government by demanding such outrageous minimum wage when actually they are redundant with no value or quality ? I am not understanding

I am talking as a Nigerian _American

you're not talking like a Nigerian American but like a nigga that's still carrying slave mentality around . How much is the minimum wages in America? , Pls do the conversion and come back to apologize to good people of this forum
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by triplechoice(m): 8:44pm On May 24
ogbonti:

grin grin grin grin grin you claim something is A LAW - so close to, a bit above, a bit below, nearly to, quarter to the amount in the law --- IS THAT THE LAW? Igbakuan, uhun no gba be, Ozuor, am asking you? grin grin grin grin grin grin

Are you not a Nigerian?

Governors who have refused to pay minimum wage have been contravening the laws of the land without anyone bold enough to challenge them. The average Nigerian doesn't like obeying the laws of the country. That's the problem and the cause of impunity in government.

Well, if you still don't know minimum wage is law not only in Nigeria but elsewhere in the world, then no need continuing this conversation. You will never make sense with anything you say because you're stubbornly ignorant.

I have asked you repeatedly to Google the minimum wage act of 2019 to know better, but you have refused to do so for a reason only you can tell.

I have better things to do with my time than to waste it arguing back and forth with you.
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by triplechoice(m): 8:51pm On May 24
ogbonti:

The governors not paying it are crooks. Federal government has increased their allocation after subsidy removal,yet they still refused to pay. Does that not confirm thar those governors are crooks in government house?

If you want to make sense,use as example the ones paying it .
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by ogbonti: 9:54pm On May 24
triplechoice:

The governors not paying it are crooks. Federal government has increased their allocation after subsidy removal,yet they still refused to pay. Does that not confirm thar those governors are crooks in government house?

If you want to make sense,use as example the ones paying it .

you so much believe in ------ IT IS THE LAW ----- please show me where the law is enforced in the states where it is not payed

I am agreeing with you ---- IT IS THE LAW ---- please prove me wrong that your MINIMUM WAGE LAW WORKS!!!! ndi ara
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by ogbonti: 9:56pm On May 24
triplechoice:

Are you not a Nigerian?

Governors who have refused to pay minimum wage have been contravening the laws of the land without anyone bold enough to challenge them. The average Nigerian doesn't like obeying the laws of the country. [b]That's the problem [/b]and the cause of impunity in government.

Well, if you still don't know minimum wage is law not only in Nigeria but elsewhere in the world, then no need continuing this conversation. You will never make sense with anything you say because you're stubbornly ignorant.

I have asked you repeatedly to Google the minimum wage act of 2019 to know better, but you have refused to do so for a reason only you can tell.

I have better things to do with my time than to waste it arguing back and forth with you.

Am glad you know there is a problem --- and the big part of it is that it is outrageous - it is utopian --- such minimum wage cant be payed!!!
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by ogbonti: 9:58pm On May 24
manmade:
you're not talking like a Nigerian American but like a nigga that's still carrying slave mentality around . How much is the minimum wages in America? , Pls do the conversion and come back to apologize to good people of this forum

It shows you have not read my responses on this thread, if you did- you will see it that I have dealt with that exhaustively - making concrete comparative analysis of both climes - be guided, thanks! cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Patricia Etteh Celebrates Her 64th Birthday Today / Aare Ona Kakanfo: Tinubu Congratulates Gani Adams / Ekiti: Police Say Teargassing Of Crowd, A Mistake, Assure It Won’t Happen Again

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 167
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.