Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,368 members, 7,868,078 topics. Date: Saturday, 22 June 2024 at 10:21 AM

Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 (20210 Views)

Chinwe Nnabuife Fumes Over Inclusion Of Her Town In The Proposed New State / Minimum Wage: Labour Slashes Demand To ₦‎500,000 / Nigeria Struggles With N30,000, South Africa Increases Minimum Wage To N126,400 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by PrinceofSarcasm: 6:01am On May 23
thesicilian:
Bunch of clowns. Anything more than 100k they're not ready

You are an inhuman beast
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by zionstaar75: 6:05am On May 23
OkpaNsukkaisBae:
500k can't do much in this economy.
do you have 500k?very funny
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by ogbonti: 6:07am On May 23
magoo10:
i am not proposing for employees that sit that to gossip like you said i am talking of workers in real sectors yes there are productive organisations than the one you belong.besides what is 100k a month in this economy.
Is it transport? Is it feeding? Is it clothing? What will 100k really do for a below average Nigerian let alone an average Nigerian?
Me i spend over 240k on fuel alone for my cars and generator and i dont even know where to classify myself whether average Nigerian or below average Nigerian.

I understand your point but you are not answering my question about is it worth to someone at the minimum level such minimum wage - do yoi mnow what minimum wage is? its not for company executives or skilled managers- its for the lowest level employees and I gave you am example of a messenger- so please remove emotions and justify in terms of productivity- why a messenger deserves N600k salary

Whatever his services are, will you pay him N600k if he were your employee? does his absence from work in a month cost the organization or company he works for profits or revenue worth N600k ? These are my arguments

I am sorry I may appear mean or insensitive to you because of my hard stance on this issue - but I have an MBA degree here at UCLA and this is how I was trained to evaluate wages and compensation - objective analysis, not raw emotions - This is why a soccer player can earn $500,000 a week for playing just 2 matches - of 90 minutes each and probably another 90 minutes trainingthat week - so for 270 minutes a football player made $500k while someone works for 40 years and will never make up to $500k in total earnings —/ you know why? The Value of service provided, the market for such services, revenue accrued for that service, demand amd supply forces, quality, all determines wages of every worker!
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by Doyin2(m): 6:09am On May 23
bentenny:

I believe you should go back and read your own comments while taking your own advise by gaining the same sense that you obviously lack!

How can you present your final bid as the first?
Being aware of a similar action of FG in the last negotiation of the minimum wage during the time of former NLC chairman necessitated bidding higher inorder to achieve their desired endpoint and so far it seems to be working as the FG will likely offer double their second offer when they meet with organised labour again!

That's called negotiation by logic which you obviously lack!

Perhaps you also lack numerical sense.

Otherwise you would understand that final bid of N100k or N75k and first bid of N150k are not the same.

Also,stupidity is when you think your first bid must be so far away from reality and sanity such that the other negotiation party considers you to be a clown or insane.

A day’s negotiation is enough ,insanity is when you think you have to spend weeks and months negotiating minimum wage that expired in April.

Any person expecting minimum wage of more than N75k or thereabouts,should go for a course in economics and financial analysis.

Minimum wage is not only about what the employees want,it is more about what the employer has the capability and capacity to pay.

How many private organisations with more than fifty employees or so,would be able to cope with a more than 100% jump in wage bills just within a year.

Also how many states are that viable to absorb the shock of over 100% jump in wage bills.

Even if we add back all the monies wasted and stolen by government officials,it cannot cover wages that must be paid continuously and continually.

Only people with sense would appreciate that you lack sense for which logic is a subset.

2 Likes

Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by zionstaar75: 6:09am On May 23
bentenny:

Walahi....I'm just baffled by the complete absence of common sense in nairaland!
At times I wonder if these people ever walked into a school!
gbam!I hardly come to nairaland again because it's now a dumping ground for senseless comment
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by correctguy101(m): 6:14am On May 23
Remman:
Mehn! Jokes have levels, but this one is beyond levels. 500 wetin?

Let also the government joke like Buhari by accepting and sign.

100k is still a terrible joke. But i know what they're trying to do anyway. They want the government to use their own mouth to pronounce something close to 100k so that if they refuse to pay, it won't be as if the amount was imposed.

Great job, Guys... Please keep it up!

Why all the time wasting? Waiting for government to agree on something closs to 100k... Smh

No serious public officials for our country abeg. All na crase people
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by Bhol28: 6:24am On May 23
cremedelacreme:
Dem never fit pay 30K, na 500K una dey propose. Bunch of jokers. grin
the thing tire me sef.
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by tnerro1(m): 6:28am On May 23
Abeg get serious, leave it at 150k and stand your ground. Break the 150k so suffer head APC supporters will comprehend and get support from the masses.

Then highlight what the politicians are taking home

Then prepare for the mother of all strikes to press home ur demands
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by alphaNomega: 6:30am On May 23
CommonSense1967:
Clowns.

If you make the minimum wage 500k from what it is now, the level of inflation will make Zimbabwe and Argentina child's play.
Inflation will be astronomical. The govt can't even afford to pay that anyway, they better come back to reality and come up with a realistic figure.
what do mean by inflation? whether you increase it or not, inflation will always happen because that is what capitalism demands.

it is better to cry in a bentley, please they should negotiate for minimum wage of 700k. Politicians are not the only ones entitled to excess funds.
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by Cmanforall: 6:36am On May 23
I don't disagree with you. Unfortunately they are the ones making the laws, and corrupt lawmakers will make laws that will favour them. Maybe that's among the first places to start by electing credible lawmakers.
The corrupt earnings I meant was from inflated contracts which are aided by civil servants including the directors and Permanent secretaries.
As I stated earlier, the legitimate salary of a Senator may not be more than 1million, but for them to be using the 'constituency' allowances for personal usage is corruption .
beejay85:

are senators engineers and contractors to paid constituency allowance?
are constituency allowances corrupt earnings?
do senators require the input of civil servants to be paid millions in constituency allowance quarterly? The answer is NO!
lets forget corrupt earnings and face d legitimate ones..its still too enormous!
if Nigeria can afford the politician humongous wages and benefits, a reasonable minimum wage of 100k is highly realistic for workers sir

1 Like

Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by Cmanforall: 6:38am On May 23
cheesy grin

Economic experts that are doing wonders to your Nigerian economy

I laugh grin
triplechoice:

And you think you know better than the economic experts in both the federal government negotiating team and those in the IMF who haven't said anything about hyperinflation?

What you fear is only possible if more than 80 percent in Nigeria will earn the minimum wage. The situation in this country is completely different than what's obtainable in countries where minimum wage is nearly for everyone.

In Nigeria, only less than 5 percent are qualified to receive minimum wage in both the public and private sector. So, tell me, how can that translate to too much money entering the system to cause hyperinflation?

Just rest . Your fears are unfounded. It's based on a very wrong application of basic economics theory and principles you learnt in secondary school. You need to learn more.

I don't fear anything.
It's you who will suffer it if things get worse.
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by bentenny(m): 6:39am On May 23
Doyin2:

Perhaps you also lack numerical sense.

Otherwise you would understand that final bid of N100k or N75k and first bid of N150k are not the same.

A day’s negotiation is enough ,insanity is when you think you have to spend weeks and months negotiating minimum wage that expired in April.

Any person expecting minimum wage of more than N75k or thereabouts,should go for a course in economics and financial analysis.

Minimum wage is not only about what the employees want,it is more about what the employer has the capability and capacity to pay.

How many private organisations with more than five employees or so,would be able to cope with a more than 100% jump in wage bills just within a year.

Also how many states are that viable to absorb the shock of over 100% jump in wage bills.

Even if we add back all the monies wasted and stolen by government officials,it cannot cover wages that must be paid continuously and continually.

Only people with sense would appreciate that you lack sense!
You write so much rubbish with confidence!

From the negotiation so far from FG,are they willing to present between 100-150k )without a negotiation?

The answer is absolutely no because they also don't want to be seen to be offering at a point of weakness!

If FG starts with a 100k or more,organized labour will assume they can pay more and also negotiate for more which will put FG in an uncomfortable situation....same applies to organised labour!

That's why both sides hired professionals to ensure no one loses out at the end of the bidding war...the goal is to come up with an amount that will grant both sides a win-win situation!

This is simple basic knowledge of negotiation!

If you don't know,Go to Google and acquire knowledge about negotiation tactics and stop behaving as if your entire schooling was a waste of time and funds!

Lastly,any minimum wage that cannot comfortably buy two full bags of rice is unacceptable!
If an employee's salary cannot address his/her basic needs esp food then don't complain when they start stealing from you!
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by Ensquare(m): 6:40am On May 23
There's a different between " they no want pay " and " they no fit pay"
cremedelacreme:
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by Truvelisback(m): 6:46am On May 23
OkpaNsukkaisBae:
500k can't do much in this economy.
For minimum, it isn't bad.
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by Doyin2(m): 6:47am On May 23
bentenny:

You write so much rubbish with confidence!

From the negotiation so far from FG,are they willing to present between 100-150k )without a negotiation?

The answer is absolutely no because they also don't want to be seen to be offering at a point of weakness!

If FG starts with a 100k or more,organized labour will assume they can pay more and also negotiate for more which will put FG in an uncomfortable situation....same applies to organised labour!

That's why both sides hired professionals to ensure no one loses out at the end of the bidding war...the goal is to come up with an amount that will grant both sides a win-win situation!

This is simple basic knowledge of negotiation!

If you don't know,Go to Google and acquire knowledge about negotiation tactics and stop behaving as if your entire schooling was a waste of time and funds!

Lastly,any minimum wage that cannot comfortably buy two full bags of rice is unacceptable!

Mr man stop exposing more,your lack of understanding.

Salary negotiations is not about muscle flexing with your employer.

The capacity and capability to pay ,is much more important than what the employees want.

In some instances,the employer can even surpass the expectations of the employees where the capacity and capability to pay are top notch.

You mention FG has if that is the only party in the negotiating table.The private sector representatives had presented a capacity to pay figure of N54,000 or thereabout.
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by Godsonkemz(m): 6:56am On May 23
Tinubu should not yield to their unrealistic demand. The present NLC leadership are jokers. What I expect them to demand for is the reduction of fuel and food prices that affect everyone not just workers and thus would increase the purchasing power of Nigerians including workers.
Not just an improved workers welfare but improved economy.
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by HRMK: 7:11am On May 23
NLC AND TUC ARE SIMPLY COMEDIANS AND JOKERS AND JESTERS!THEY ARE SIMPLY UNREALISTIC!!
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by magoo10(m): 7:11am On May 23
ogbonti:

I understand your point but you are not answering my question about is it worth to someone at the minimum level such minimum wage - do yoi mnow what minimum wage is? its not for company executives or skilled managers- its for the lowest level employees and I gave you am example of a messenger- so please remove emotions and justify in terms of productivity- why a messenger deserves N600k salary

Whatever his services are, will you pay him N600k if he were your employee? does his absence from work in a month cost the organization or company he works for profits or revenue worth N600k ? These are my arguments

I am sorry I may appear mean or insensitive to you because of my hard stance on this issue - but I have an MBA degree here at UCLA and this is how I was trained to evaluate wages and compensation - objective analysis, not raw emotions - This is why a soccer player can earn $500,000 a week for playing just 2 matches - of 90 minutes each and probably another 90 minutes trainingthat week - so for 270 minutes a football player made $500k while someone works for 40 years and will never make up to $500k in total earnings —/ you know why? The Value of service provided, the market for such services, revenue accrued for that service, demand amd supply forces, quality, all determines wages of every worker!
firstly in my write up i proposed 100k and not 600k which is very reasonable considering the cost of things abi will someone work for you pay transport,feed ,clothe then at tue end of month you tell him thank you.
Secondly you are not even in Nigeria to understand my point so there is no need for the argument.
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by bluebay(m): 7:14am On May 23
frank2zee:

Who is greedy, FG or Labour?
Foolish Nigerians
Labour and Nigerians
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by bentenny(m): 7:21am On May 23
Doyin2:

Mr man stop exposing more,your lack of understanding.

Salary negotiations is not about muscle flexing with your employer.

The capacity and capability to pay ,is much more important than what the employees want.

In some instances,the employer can even surpass the expectations of the employees where the capacity and capability to pay are top notch.

You mention FG has if that is the only party in the negotiating table.The private sector representatives had presented a capacity to pay figure of N54,000 or thereabout.
Mr Guy you still don't get it because you are bent on arguing like a roadside tout but forming educated!

Right from the start,it was apparent that to have a proper negotiation with FG one needed not to only be smart but also incorporate a little bit of precedence as a guide!

Based on the antecedents of present and past FG administration,it was mandatory that the use of a hardline in negotiation including 'muscle flexing' was needed to get anything substantial out of an insensitive FG that cares less about it's workers welfare!
And such stance are based on lack of trust for their employers!

The negotiations no matter what you tag it will continue until organised labour gets close to what is desired for it's workers!

The only party involved that I might have some sympathy for is the private sector!
However,as its usual of them,they can come up with an internal negotiation with their workers!
For now,this is between FG,states and organised labour!

Let me reiterate that any minimum wage that cannot comfortably purchase two full bags of rice is unacceptable and wicked!
The workers are not the ones responsible for the inflation rate in the country!
Neither are they the reason why transport cost have quadrupled and yet their salaries remain constant!
They are also not the ones to blame for the removal of subsidy on pms and the mindless floating of the naira!

As much as I doubt your intellectual competence,let me manage to engage you with this question.....if 75k was the maximum that you would get to,can you assist in breaking down this amount in terms of transport,food,shelter and utility bill expenses per month?
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by Teymanhenry(f): 7:23am On May 23
cremedelacreme:
The country have the money to pay. I think it is glaring already that the leadership don't have the masses at heart. So its ideal, the labour push them to implement a befitting minimum wage. That's for a start
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by Doyin2(m): 7:49am On May 23
bentenny:

Mr Guy you still don't get it because you are bent on arguing like a roadside tout but forming educated!

Right from the start,it was apparent that to have a proper negotiation with FG one needed not to only be smart but also incorporate a little bit of precedence as a guide!

Based on the antecedents of present and past FG administration,it was mandatory that the use of a hardline in negotiation including 'muscle flexing' was needed to get anything substantial out of an insensitive FG that cares less about it's workers welfare!
And such stance are based on lack of trust for their employers!

The negotiations no matter what you tag it will continue until organised labour gets close to what is desired for it's workers!

The only party involved that I might have some sympathy for is the private sector!
However,as its usual of them,they can come up with an internal negotiation with their workers!
For now,this is between FG,states and organised labour!

Let me reiterate that any minimum wage that cannot comfortably purchase two full bags of rice is unacceptable and wicked!
The workers are not the ones responsible for the inflation rate in the country!
Neither are they the reason why transport cost have quadrupled and yet their salaries remain constant!
They are also not the ones to blame for the removal of subsidy on pms and the mindless floating of the naira!

As much as I doubt your intellectual competence,let me manage to engage you with this question.....if 75k was the maximum that you would get to,can you assist in breaking down this amount in terms of transport,food,shelter and utility bill expenses per month?

Now I see your stupidity .

Sane people know that any internal negotiation with workers in the private sector,that is below the minimum wage law,is criminal.

Therefore any negotiation without the private sector interest is hog wash.

You also want to collect what your employer ,private or public,does not have the capacity and capability to pay?

Didirin.
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by bentenny(m): 8:09am On May 23
Doyin2:

Now I see your stupidity .

Sane people know that any internal negotiation with workers in the private sector,that is below the minimum wage law,is criminal.

Therefore any negotiation without the private sector interest is hog wash.

You also want to collect what your employer ,private or public,does not have the capacity and capability to pay?

Didirin.

You are the one hilariously unintelligent and a glorified olodo!
How much does the private sector currently pay an average worker in their company in terms of minimum wage!
You don't even need a magician or babalawo to tell you that 10% or even less of the private sector can even afford the 30k...the rest are private negotiation based on what the company can pay!
Totally different from FG,states and organised labour!

See how you have prevaricated like an aimless grasshopper from the main point!

I will reiterate that any minimum wage that cannot afford two bags of rice whether in the public or private sector is insensitive,wicked and unacceptable!
If you don't like it,then that's your problem!

You still haven't answered my question because your obviously flawed brain capacity is lacking!

Breakdown the 75k that you are proposing in terms of transportation,feeding,utility bills and shelter...let me know if I am engaging someone with an ounce of brain matter remaining or a beer parlour drunkard!

Olodo promax!
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by Testimony1988(m): 8:15am On May 23
lordm:
it won't get up to 70k. Seems you don't understand Nigeria
hahahahah, it will be better if FG pays N100,000 as minimum wage than the N70,000.
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by Doyin2(m): 8:28am On May 23
bentenny:

You are the one hilariously unintelligent and a glorified olodo!
How much does the private sector currently pay an average worker in their company in terms of minimum wage!
You don't even need a magician or babalawo to tell you that 10% or even less of the private sector can even afford the 30k...the rest are private negotiation based on what the company can pay!
Totally different from FG,states and organised labour!

See how you have prevaricated like an aimless grasshopper from the main point!

I will reiterate that any minimum wage that cannot afford two bags of rice whether in the public or private sector is insensitive,wicked and unacceptable!
If you don't like it,then that's your problem!

You still haven't answered my question because your obviously flawed brain capacity is lacking!

Breakdown the 75k that you are proposing in terms of transportation,feeding,utility bills and shelter...let me know if I am engaging someone with an ounce of brain matter remaining or a beer parlour drunkard!

Olodo promax!

You are just an idiot.

How does break down of minimum wage enhance the capacity and capability of your employer to pay?

You can also break down the current N30k minimum,may be that would make States that are still struggling to pay ,rush immediately to the bank,to discharge their liabilities.

Oponu.

Now the latest news indicates that both government and OPS(Organised Private Sector) are proposing N57,000, whilst your insane labour leaders are proposing N497,000 and wasting innocent employees time.

The danger now is if Labour keeps on pushing beyond the capacity of OPS,we shall end up in serious socioeconomic crisis and forced agreement that may never be fulfilled!
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by johbara: 8:35am On May 23
bluebay:
We all know Nigeria cannot pay 200k sef as minimum.wage . Its not possible ... put the greed behind and face reality

We all know Nigeria as of today can't pay that sum....me thinks the idea behind the #615 is aim for the Moon and fall on a star. Las las na a little over #100k the matter go end
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by bentenny(m): 8:41am On May 23
Doyin2:

You are just an idiot.

How does break down of minimum wage enhance the capacity and capability of your employer to pay?

You can also break down the current N30k minimum,may be that would make States that are still struggling to pay ,rush immediately to the bank,to discharge their liabilities.

Oponu.
You are really a pathetically naive fuul!😄
I can say this with all aplomb now!

Breakdown that 75k that you are proposing let me see if it will even be enough to cover for feeding or even transport cost!

I might even be talking to a boy that is still feeding from mama pot oblivious of the struggles going on in the society!

If you cannot do this simple breakdown then I doubt if you even comprehend the real meaning of minimum wage....oops,I forgot you are an olodo....why should I expect you to reason when that's a difficulty for you?😢
Gush see how you are confidently spewing balderdash!😄

Olodo come and breakdown your 75k let me see if you passed through nursery school!

Glorified olodo promax with PhD in motorparkism!

Now the latest news indicates that both government and OPS(Organised Private Sector) are proposing N57,000, whilst your insane labour leaders are proposing N497,000 and wasting innocent employees time.

The danger now is if Labour keeps on pushing beyond the capacity of OPS,we shall end up in serious socioeconomic crisis and forced agreement that may never be fulfilled!
At the risk of sounding like a broken record,any minimum wage that cannot afford the equivalent of two full bags of rice is wicked, insensitive and unacceptable even from the private sector!
If an employee cannot transport itself or feed properly or pay utility bills like electricity or provide for shelter,how will such employee perform optimally!
You fuuls see salaries as a privilege instead of being a reward for productivity and hard work!
As much as I maybe have some sympathy for the private sector,they are bound to increase their workers salaries based on the new minimum wage!
Educated mor.onica!
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by 77up(m): 8:53am On May 23
Mumu people grin
Ajairo remain the most f00lish labour leader that ever grace that seat.

500k minimum wage 😂
Can bitter Obi they all laboured in vain for ever pay that kind of money as minimum wage if he's the president?
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by Holluwhakemmy(f): 8:54am On May 23
Barims:

You are a 🤡🤡🤡
You are also a 😸😸😻😻
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by emmyN(m): 9:40am On May 23
Babysho:
It's funny that some on here are name calling NLC and saying 500k is too much. I can see that the psyche of poor Nigerians citizens are broken.

NLC/Nigerian professionals are finally fighting the class warfare that's been due for years. If you don't have anything to add, why not just keep mute.

These people love their chains. The disparity between the rich and poor in this country is too wide, and ironically the poor who should benefit from this change are the ones fighting to maintain the status quo.
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by thesicilian: 11:38am On May 23
PrinceofSarcasm:

You are an inhuman beast
Ok
Re: Labour Slashes Proposed New Minimum Wage To N500,000 by thesicilian: 11:45am On May 23
yommen:
Are you with the government or the suffering masses? We complain and complain we are demanding so low. What do we want actually?
I'm not for any of them, I'm what you can call an innocent bystander. Those who are used to negotiations will realise that one of the major rules is never to demand for what the other party cannot give you. If you were an employer of labour and your employee (let's say a cleaner) that you pay N30,000 monthly walks into your office to demand for a 1566% pay increase to N500,000, what would be your first reaction? No matter how nice you are as a boss, I'm sure your first reaction would be to laugh before sending him or her out of your office

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Do These Set Of People Vote ? / Kano Anti-Corruption Agency To Summon Sanusi Over Corruption Charges / Tinubu Condemns Killing Of Nasarawa APC Chairman, Philip Shekwo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.