Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,989 members, 7,863,538 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 07:39 PM

Ever Tracked A Stolen Phone Before? Share Your Experience - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Ever Tracked A Stolen Phone Before? Share Your Experience (17265 Views)

How Long Is The Ideal Maximum Period To Use A Smart Phone Before Replacing It? / How Can I Track A Stolen Phone.. HELP!! / How To Disable A Stolen Android Phone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ever Tracked A Stolen Phone Before? Share Your Experience by Enskynelson(m): 1:59pm On May 26
BarrElChapo:

The police was kind to the person you recovered the phone from. Receiving stolen property can get you 5years in prison.
Police will not charge them to court... They will prefer to have them pay money and they get released.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ever Tracked A Stolen Phone Before? Share Your Experience by juwoonn(m): 2:00pm On May 26
Sometimes around 2013.
It happened in church. A choir member was charging his phone and we couldn't find it again after service.

We dialled the number and it was ringing but they wouldn't pick. After sometimes, dialled again and it was on another call...so I got the details of the owner and called mtn customer service. I explained everything to them and requested for the Id of the person/number the lost phone/line was speaking with at the time it was on another call...she was nice to provide a name and a location but wasn't able to help with the audio of what they were saying. I followed up with the person he was calling and we got him by tricking him. So he led us to the guy who stole the phone from the church and it was recovered. No police was involved; only I and the owner of the phone.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ever Tracked A Stolen Phone Before? Share Your Experience by travelzcruix: 2:00pm On May 26
Never buy a phone you can't afford to loose. Many have gone! Not supporting crime in anyway but a living goat is better than a dead lion.

3 Likes

Re: Ever Tracked A Stolen Phone Before? Share Your Experience by illicit(m): 2:00pm On May 26
BarrElChapo:

The police was kind to the person you recovered the phone from. Receiving stolen property can get you 5years in prison.

Police will bill him and let him go after he gives them info that wi help them arrest the real culprit, and the culprit was arrested

Police is not interested in jailing anyone, except the phone owner was killed in the process of robbing or the victim is influential

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ever Tracked A Stolen Phone Before? Share Your Experience by Enskynelson(m): 2:01pm On May 26
dominique:

A lot has changed since then. Nowadays, the police will keep billing you till you give up and forget about the phone
Quite true. More reason I advised he thread carefully. I used an independent tracker and not even the Police. The Police only came in at the tail end of it, when we were ready to apprehend the culprits.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ever Tracked A Stolen Phone Before? Share Your Experience by MaziObinnaokija: 2:01pm On May 26
sad sad NIG POLICE sad,some of them are SCAMMERS too if u nor SHINE your eyes grin undecided. I go reported my STOLEN phone @ Police HQ sad.The peepz I meet there told me to go my hood to report sad with the pali plus receipt. Nah so I ๐Ÿš— back to Elemoro .The ๐Ÿ‘ฎโ€โ™€๏ธ wrote down the report and asked me to drop tracking fees sad undecided ?, I asked her if there's ATM around sad? She directed me to one POS girl. sad.Nah so I take style ๐Ÿƒโ€โ™€๏ธ ๐Ÿƒโ€โ™‚๏ธ ๐Ÿƒโ€โ™€๏ธ ๐Ÿƒโ€โ™€๏ธ.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ever Tracked A Stolen Phone Before? Share Your Experience by KillahPriest: 2:01pm On May 26
Redomi:
3 weeks ago (3/5/2023) thief climb the fence of our house and jump into our compound, cut the window netting of each apartment and takes away 4 phones including my Oraimo 27,000mah power bank.
The next day we report the case at the police station, the police asked us to pay 30k for tracking of one of the phone (oppo A55) we paid immediately.
Today the police called that they have gotten a target, someone using the phone in a nearby town, just 35km to where we stay.
The police still charged us another 65k which is for mobilization and other things.
Please share your experience let's learn.
track and deal with those bloody criminals, the police will make sure they pay for every expenses you made. No gree for anybody o
Re: Ever Tracked A Stolen Phone Before? Share Your Experience by bekpo(m): 2:05pm On May 26
Enskynelson:
In 2016, my counsin's wife lost her phone when she came home for a wedding. They didn't have much time so they went back to base in Abuja leaving me to follow up with the tracker (not police) who was at Abuja. The tracker communicated with me and told me what to do. When he successfully tracked the phone, he told me to go to the nearest police station and make a report which I did. I was assigned an officer and the number of the person with the phone. The tracker kept calling a guy whom the guy with the stolen phone used the stolen phone to call. He called the guy to meet him for business at a certain location where I and the police officer were waiting. Lo, the guy came. We explained to him and he took us to the guy who was with the stolen phone and surprisingly, the guy was with the Camon phone.
Police arrested the guy ... The guy said he bought the phone for about 10k from a man. We picked the man too.
They were made to pay for all the expenses of the tracking and I am sure police milked them too before letting them go.

My advice is that you guys should thread carefully to be sure the police are not trying to make money from you. But if the thief is caught, he should be made to pay for all the expenses as well as the gadgets stolen from your compound.

That's how I bought phantom 6+ some yrs ago, 4 days later it was stolen. I reported to d police because I was curious to know how it was stolen n who actually stolen it. I think I paid 20k. Few days afterwards, I was invited to identify a particular lady in a photograph, I couldn't identify her including her phone number. A pharmacist that she communicate with oftentimes was picked up but he claimed not knowing her house (though admitted knowing her n her kids). He was kept in custody to avoid leaking information. Few days afterwards, her husband was arrested but was released to produced d wife(without my knowledge). Immediately I heard of it, I called d DPO who wasn't aware of d arrest n subsequent released. He was actually d one that bought d phone for 5k n gave same to his wife. Immediately he was released, he rushed, collected d phone n returned to d criminal. He later led d police to arrest d criminal who worship with Jehovah's witnesses. They actually bought a new phantom for me, though was charged to court. I later withdraw d case at d receipt of my new phone.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ever Tracked A Stolen Phone Before? Share Your Experience by wunmi590(m): 2:06pm On May 26

Phone tracking was the most easiest during the days of blackberry, people hardly steal blackberry phones because of the BB pin, except you don't want to use the bb pin to ping, and you won't accept people...

I've seen where SARS came to pock up somebody I know, he bought and resold a stolen blackberry and the person was just accepting anybody via the BBC pin, until he was caught and traced to the person that sold it to her...

Omo, not small thing ooo, if not for the grace of God, the guy would have been forgotten in prison

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ever Tracked A Stolen Phone Before? Share Your Experience by BarrElChapo(m): 2:07pm On May 26
illicit:

Police will bill him and let him go after he gives them info that wi help them arrest the real culprit, and the culprit was arrested

Not is not interested in jailing anyone, except the phone owner was killed in the process of robbing

Okay. Youโ€™re speaking from your guts. Iโ€™m speaking from life cases in court Iโ€™ve witnessed.
Re: Ever Tracked A Stolen Phone Before? Share Your Experience by miniziter(m): 2:08pm On May 26
Enskynelson:
In 2016, my counsin's wife lost her phone when she came home for a wedding. They didn't have much time so they went back to base in Abuja leaving me to follow up with the tracker (not police) who was at Abuja. The tracker communicated with me and told me what to do. When he successfully tracked the phone, he told me to go to the nearest police station and make a report which I did. I was assigned an officer and the number of the person with the phone. The tracker kept calling a guy whom the guy with the stolen phone used the stolen phone to call. He called the guy to meet him for business at a certain location where I and the police officer were waiting. Lo, the guy came. We explained to him and he took us to the guy who was with the stolen phone and surprisingly, the guy was with the Camon phone.
Police arrested the guy ... The guy said he bought the phone for about 10k from a man. We picked the man too.
They were made to pay for all the expenses of the tracking and I am sure police milked them too before letting them go.

My advice is that you guys should thread carefully to be sure the police are not trying to make money from you. But if the thief is caught, he should be made to pay for all the expenses as well as the gadgets stolen from your compound.

Please can we get that your tracker link except for security purpose Sha.
Re: Ever Tracked A Stolen Phone Before? Share Your Experience by Tom1960: 2:14pm On May 26
In 2022, when I lost my phone to armed robbers. I was asked to contact a policeman who scammed me and collected my money, till today he hasn't been able to track the phone. He keeps telling me stories.
Re: Ever Tracked A Stolen Phone Before? Share Your Experience by Tijani009: 2:16pm On May 26
Enskynelson:

People are telling me I just gave police free 60k that he is gone, in fact the insult wen I don receive no be small note my money was also stolen
Re: Ever Tracked A Stolen Phone Before? Share Your Experience by jmoore(m): 2:17pm On May 26
Redomi:
you are a novice in phone tracking
You are novice here. Police is doing to you what the phone thief did.

You have already lost 100k to the police.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ever Tracked A Stolen Phone Before? Share Your Experience by warlordd(m): 2:28pm On May 26
Foodqueen:
smiley

They will definitely bring your phone back to you but u will pay triple of the money u spent to purchase the phone.
What if the phone has no tracker and it is switched off completely?

3 Likes

Re: Ever Tracked A Stolen Phone Before? Share Your Experience by symbianDON(m): 2:30pm On May 26
Well, I have a colleague whose car, a highlander was stolen. Actually, armed robbers tracked him and family from church till they got home then they struck; robbing them of phones and the vehicle. A report was made at the police station. His phone was tracked by police/network provider. Phone and vehicle were recovered and the armed robbers arrested. I was impressed.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ever Tracked A Stolen Phone Before? Share Your Experience by tolexy007(m): 2:30pm On May 26
Justwuse:
Tracking a lost phone is like chasing shadows. The energy and cash needed in tracking a device with the Nigerian police is enough to buy a new phone and still get spare change on top. Meanwhile, if you reside in Abuja and wears vintage shirts, see my thread for a special offer

Same thing I told a colleague of mine in the office untill police proof me wrong. Her iphone was stolen. We discouraged her that the fone is gone, but she keep pushing. She took the matter to police , she first pay 45k for the tracking, 5days later the police told her the phone around Bariga area, she pay Another 50k for mobilisation. After 2 days she was called to come to police station. She found her found with a guy crying, the guy said he bought the fone at Mushin, fone that was stolen at Abule egba. She got her fone back.

Infact we are all surprise. Police will work if They are ready to work. Or if u can fund Dem well

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ever Tracked A Stolen Phone Before? Share Your Experience by Treasure17(m): 2:41pm On May 26
65k Plus 30k.. will just kuku forget the phone .

1 Like

Re: Ever Tracked A Stolen Phone Before? Share Your Experience by chukwuoke(m): 2:43pm On May 26
Redomi:
3 weeks ago (3/5/2023) thief climb the fence of our house and jump into our compound, cut the window netting of each apartment and takes away 4 phones including my Oraimo 27,000mah power bank.
The next day we report the case at the police station, the police asked us to pay 30k for tracking of one of the phone (oppo A55) we paid immediately.
Today the police called that they have gotten a target, someone using the phone in a nearby town, just 35km to where we stay.
The police still charged us another 65k which is for mobilization and other things.
Please share your experience let's learn.

Oga or madam police done chop me 19k, 2k for file opening 17k for tracking until now I never see phone or the thief. Make una cruise well ooo

1 Like

Re: Ever Tracked A Stolen Phone Before? Share Your Experience by ridbell01(m): 2:46pm On May 26
Henrypraise:
My younger bro bought a phone and left it to charge in church, after closing, he couldn't find the phone, dude saved almost a life time to get that phone and he was very emotional about it. He had just lost his previous phone to pick pockets and he bought this one barely a month interval.

My sister stood in and went to DPO calabar at ebrumede division, they told her to pay about 40k for tracking, which she did. The worth of the phone then was about 50k (so it was a gamble for us). She went with receipt of purchase, the phone pack and identity cards.

It took almost 2 months when they called her to the station, they didn't show her anything, just gave her a new phone of same specifications and refunded the 40k back to her. She dashed the police people 10k and came home with the new phone.

They didn't disclose to her any other information... When she asked to see the thief, they asked if that's what she wanted or she wanted back the phone...

But another police officer informed her personally that the person who was arrested with the phone bought it from a shop and he took them to the shop, the shop owner could not identify who he bought the phone from, so he had to pay for everything and refunded money to everyone and also bail himself...

Phone sellers have been told that before buying second handed phones, they should record faces and collect i.ds of sellers, else they will be the ones to answer once issues arise.

Meanwhile, I think the rise in decluttering business is increasing criminality in Nigeria especially asaba, thieves go into houses to pack properties so they can render to declutters.

The govt have to find a way to regulate this surge. I like the idea of decluttering but it's giving criminals easy channel to sell stolen properties unchecked.
the police would have make huge money in that case

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ever Tracked A Stolen Phone Before? Share Your Experience by noobody(m): 2:47pm On May 26
Re: Ever Tracked A Stolen Phone Before? Share Your Experience by Chukazu: 2:53pm On May 26
Exactly two years ago my new redmi 9a was stolen.
Was already thinking buying another phone when a friend told me I could track the phone.
Was skeptical but she told me that her own sister had same experience and the phone was tracked successfully.

Immediately I call the officer and promised to come meet me less than 20minutes and did exactly that.

He asked for the phone pack which I couldn't provide as I hardly keep such things.
Then he just collected my phone and phone features and then ask me to pay 20k mobilization, with the promise the thief would pay back once caught, which I did.

About 2months later, when I had almost started plans to get a new phone, the man called me to come to the...that was after collecting another 10+ for another mobilization (later found out the phone was already found before he requested for that money)
I went to the station and collected my phone.
Time to refund me the money, they gave me only 15k , I shaa no reason am as I am more thankful I got my phone back

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ever Tracked A Stolen Phone Before? Share Your Experience by airsaylongcome: 2:54pm On May 26
warlordd:

They don't need a "tracker" to locate someone. All of the information to locate a phone is available at the telecom provider. They can see what type of phone you use, and where you are using it from. They also know which other SIMs on their network have used that phone if it has previously been used on their network. The police just need to get a court warrant for them (telco) to handover that info

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ever Tracked A Stolen Phone Before? Share Your Experience by Chukazu: 2:57pm On May 26
warlordd:

Doesn't matter, the phone can still be tracked. There's nothing like tracker or no tracker... your phone is tracked by IMEI number

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ever Tracked A Stolen Phone Before? Share Your Experience by yusufu16: 2:58pm On May 26
The money for tracking is even enough to buy another phone.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ever Tracked A Stolen Phone Before? Share Your Experience by SaLongs1(m): 3:10pm On May 26
davis51:
no worry urself u go spend money tired u no go see dats phone
Abi na you thief the phone?

2 Likes

Re: Ever Tracked A Stolen Phone Before? Share Your Experience by Percy0006(m): 3:11pm On May 26
grin
FuckYeyeMods:
In 2008, thieves climbed over our main gate, open it from inside and made away with 2 bikes (mine inclusive). I went to police headquarters to make report. They directed me to their radio House in the same Headquarters.
The woman police on seat said I have to pay 11k for solar to radio 73 divisions. I looked at her with confidence and anger then replied her...
My bike is stolen....
I will 11k for solar...
I pointed at the arrays of solar panel and told her, I'm a final year student of Engineering. Also a student of Alternative Sources of Energy which at that time is one of my best course.
I told her that I know exactly how solar technology works. Why would she ask me 11k for service that can be free.
I left the office and about exiting the gate when I heard someone shouting trying to get my attention, I turned back and she waved me to comeback. She collected the bikes details and in my presence, she made the announcement to 73 divisions. I thanked her and left.
The bikes was never found.
Re: Ever Tracked A Stolen Phone Before? Share Your Experience by alizma: 3:11pm On May 26
davis51:
Just 4get dats phone
Why? Aside the cost of tracking, it is easy to recover your phone when lost

1 Like

Re: Ever Tracked A Stolen Phone Before? Share Your Experience by Nctrice(m): 3:12pm On May 26
Enskynelson:

please can you share the contact of the tracker with me. Lost my phone few days back
Re: Ever Tracked A Stolen Phone Before? Share Your Experience by Enskynelson(m): 3:18pm On May 26
Nctrice:
please can you share the contact of the tracker with me. Lost my phone few days back
OMG. Really sorry about that. I have lost the contact of the tracker too.
Re: Ever Tracked A Stolen Phone Before? Share Your Experience by Enskynelson(m): 3:22pm On May 26
Tijani009:

People are telling me I just gave police free 60k that he is gone, in fact the insult wen I don receive no be small note my money was also stolen
It's just how unreliable the police is. I pray your get your phone back sir and may the thief be apprehended also because, it's painful to labour for years to buy a gadget only for a thief to come and posses it in one day. ๐Ÿ˜ญ

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

GLO Increases Their Internet Data Bundle Allowance / My Bitter Experience With A Phone Buyer In Enugu / Make Free Internet Calls To Any Country + Within Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.