Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,981 members, 7,863,487 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 06:47 PM

Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife (24090 Views)

Alaafin of Oyo, Lamidi Adeyemi Joins His Ancestors At 83 / Obi Of Onitsha: I Was Saved From Attacked Train Through Phone Call / The Significance Of Oranmiyan Staff And Ife Immovable Heritage Resource. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by PeterObi4LP: 7:02am On May 25
Watch how children of hate who know no history and have not been born then will come and attack HRH, Obi of Onitsha.

Any news wey the name OBI is inside, gives them goosebumps like tolotolo

2 Likes

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by JoeEeL(m): 7:02am On May 25
This is serious o. “One family”… hmmn 🤔

Did this guy just shade Ipob?

Damn thats serious

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by Franking: 7:07am On May 25
But why will he say Ijebu Igbo people are Igbos? Igbo means forrest in yoruba.

3 Likes

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by igwebuike01: 7:08am On May 25
Igbos own Benin and ife. Oni said it before

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by LadyExcellency: 7:11am On May 25
He said Ijebu Igbo is part of Igbo ancestry.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by Basic123: 7:12am On May 25
Onitsha has more affinity to Benin than Lagos but Benin and others don't even care because Onitsha has no glory to want to claim.

But Lagos wey be say Benin just colonized at some point,not as if they founded the place is being dragged left and right!

And when people talk about Lagos being owned by Britain,Again lack of glory to want to claim from Enugu,port Harcourt and kaduna has made people not to bring the fact that the 3 cities are the only three cities incorporated and founded by Britain in Nigeria.
Britain met Lagos,Kano,Onitsha,Aba and Ibadan as thriving cities!

5 Likes

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by Pennilessword1: 7:13am On May 25
Is it any wonder why the Anioma people of Delta state always shout that they aren't Igbos when people try to instill it into the fabric of their own self determination?

Igbos will call the Anioma, Ikwerre and Ika people fake Igbos. When these same people say we aren't Igbos despite the fact that we sometimes bear and speak a section of the igbo dialect the Igbos would start insulting the Anioma people.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by Armaggedon: 7:15am On May 25
gidgiddy:
Mischief makers who dont understand what the Obi of Onitsha said because they don't understand Igbo language

What the Obi of Onitsha said is that Onitsha are Igbos who initially left the East and ventured to Ife(Ado) but later had a misunderstanding with Ife people, then decided to return home. On their way back, they passed through Bini(Idu), crossed the River Niger and and settled in present day Onitsha. He also said that those Igbos founded several communities along the way back to the East, the Igbos of Delta State(Anioma)

He was adamant that they were initially Igbo, not Ife or Bini. Onitsha was founded by Igbos who were reverse-migrating
he even said it was not only Onitsha that lived there but other Igbos too lived in Ado before returning as a result of disagreement.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by 1bunne4lif(m): 7:16am On May 25
Orobadmeat:
Exactly my point brother, this should be an interesting thing, but because selfish agenda and hunger for domination they will not get the point
he said; dika ndi Igbo kwusiri na ALA YORUBA, enwere ijebu Igbo. IT MEANS THAT THE IGBOS STOPPED OVER IN YORUBA LAND, A PLACE NOW CALLED IJEBU IGBO

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by Pennilessword1: 7:16am On May 25
jimetagambo:

Thanks for the explanation. I wish our ancestors had written books and passed down. Alot of history was passed on through oral narration. We did not start documenting history till Europeans returned in the 19th century. There were a few European history about Benin/ife connection in the 17th century I think. A Benin prince was also sent to I think Portugal in the 16th or 17th century.

Exactly o..if there was a written history of the people , all these would have been made clear

2 Likes

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by Mccollins042(m): 7:17am On May 25
muykem:
Onitsha people are immigrants from Yoruba land.
He said not only onitcha, and he didn't say that onitsha were yorubas rather they lived as neighbours to the yorubas before the came down to their brothers, he said that ijebu Igbo and so on are Igbos that didn't return

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by waynetee(m): 7:17am On May 25
It's the truth, onitcha people are not Igbos. They have benin and yoruba ancestry

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by JuanDeDios: 7:18am On May 25
Nonybb:
Who says that Onitsha is not part of Igbo or Biafra? They have continued this propaganda perpetuated by Gowon during the war when he gave the Eastern governorship seat to Asika Ukpabi, an indigent of Onitsha in order to spite Ojukwu who declared Biafra. Ukpabi then rallied around his people and declare their non interest in Biafra

Since that time, some people rode on that ploy that was sanctioned by the northern oligarchs to divide the Igbos. They have successful brainwashed Ikwerre when Gowon visited Port Harcourt in solidarity during the war to distant them from Ndigbo. Till today, that propaganda still stood. They divide and they rule. I know you people might say that Nnaemeka Achebe is a custodian and should know the facts but cultural, linguistically and virtually otherwise, we are not the same with Bini people. If everyone claim to be Bini like Ikwerre people do, then where do Bini from? From the sky? (By the way, I don't even believe that Ikwerre people are not Igbos, because it's like saying, I am from Mbaise, I am not Igbos)

We call God Chineke, and they have theirs. Must everything be linked with the Bini people. Even Lagos State is proclaimed to be Bini original dwelling place, so Yorubas came from Bini too? What is so special about them that everyone else have to come from them? Then change the name of Nigeria to Bigeria
grin
Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by dododawa1: 7:18am On May 25
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

OBIDENTs

will finish

Obi of Onitsha

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by Armaggedon: 7:20am On May 25
Ignorance festering on the forum. Simple comprehension has become a tall order.

1 Like

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by Starhearts: 7:24am On May 25
jimetagambo:
I have always wondered why the Obi of Onitsha dresses as a SW king and not like other Igbo ezes. It's starting to make sense now.

Bitter obi crew will come 4 ur head becareful of those headless mob, dot in d circle

3 Likes

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by OredoPikin: 7:25am On May 25
WeddingParol:
No wonder it is the commercial capital of the east
Oh
It is now commercial state🤣🤣

1 Like

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by BadBradley: 7:28am On May 25
muhammaduyusufu:
https://www.bbc.com/igbo/afirika-50720633
The Obi says there are Igbos in Ile ife till today and they are Igbos who know where they came from.

He also said Ijebu Igbo in Yoruba land is Igbo alluding that Igbos must have come through from somewhere migrating through Yoruba land.

He never said they are one family with Yoruba but one which doesn't mean shared ancestry.

You gave a very twisted and misleading interpretation here for your own purpose

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by PureNigerDeltan(m): 7:28am On May 25
Igbos I know will not come out to say stuffs like these and not get a backlash from their people except they are up to something… I hope this man is not trying to set a trajectory for his people that wants to claim indigenous Lagosians😅😅😅 cunning MFs 🤦🏾‍♂️🤦🏾‍♂️🤦🏾‍♂️

1 Like

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by Elzazzi: 7:29am On May 25
Otuegbe:
Reno, Onitsha has always proclaimed they are not Igbo.. Not a new revelation. The city is Igbo City but the people migrated long time ago. I remember when I used to live at bishop onyeabo, inland town.Every other person is referred as 'nwa onyi igbo' by them.
So calm yourself down. Not a new thing. Now we have integrated
You can see Igbos are accommodating. The obi is even the chairman of the committee of kings in Igbo Land. If you have lived in Igbo Land you will notice the love and care for strangers.

Is it Reno that created this thread?

3 Likes

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by DECLAN2015(m): 7:29am On May 25
Nonybb:
Who says that Onitsha is not part of Igbo or Biafra? They have continued this propaganda perpetuated by Gowon during the war when he gave the Eastern governorship seat to Asika Ukpabi, an indigent of Onitsha in order to spite Ojukwu who declared Biafra. Ukpabi then rallied around his people and declare their non interest in Biafra

Since that time, some people rode on that ploy that was sanctioned by the northern oligarchs to divide the Igbos. They have successful brainwashed Ikwerre when Gowon visited Port Harcourt in solidarity during the war to distant them from Ndigbo. Till today, that propaganda still stood. They divide and they rule. I know you people might say that Nnaemeka Achebe is a custodian and should know the facts but cultural, linguistically and virtually otherwise, we are not the same with Bini people. If everyone claim to be Bini like Ikwerre people do, then where do Bini from? From the sky? (By the way, I don't even believe that Ikwerre people are not Igbos, because it's like saying, I am from Mbaise, I am not Igbos)

We call God Chineke, and they have theirs. Must everything be linked with the Bini people. Even Lagos State is proclaimed to be Bini original dwelling place, so Yorubas came from Bini too? What is so special about them that everyone else have to come from them? Then change the name of Nigeria to Bigeria

Which yoruba come from binu .can pikin born his parents

6 Likes

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by aguluobi: 7:30am On May 25
Stop shouting, all opinion from nonentity like you is inconsequential.

Nonybb:

2 Likes

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by Abagworo(m): 7:33am On May 25
Whoever misinterpreted and quoted lies for non-Igbos is deceiving himself. What he said is that Onitsha is of same stalk as all other Igbo people and they occupied all those area before the coming of others and their gradual migration towards East first from Ado then stopped at Iduu before moving further. He also placed importance to Eri in Igbo mythology . I will help translate his statement word for word

1 Like

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by EmperorCaesar(m): 7:36am On May 25
So Yorubas own even the most powerful royalty in Igboland

Now I understand Igbo obsession

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by oceaneverdry77: 7:36am On May 25
That obi of Onitsha did not really know all about it's poeple who claimed to be there king, forgotten that it was migrates from Arochukwu ( Present ABIA State) is the majority occupant of Onitsha. . The Obi should go and do more studies about a place where he claims the a knig. . For those commenting nonsense. Biafra Has come Nothing can stop it.

1 Like

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by Paraman: 7:37am On May 25
SS777:

He's not Igbo just like Obi of Asaba, but Igbo always want to force themselves on people's.
There's no title called obi of Asaba
Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by gigabyte13: 7:37am On May 25
The Nigerian Jews, didn't migrate from isreal ANYWAYS........
So who sold them the story that, they were descendants of the Jews....
Kanu l think...
Confused people
Dem no even know their source
How them no go dey disrespect elders anyhow
Yoruba people go say
Dem don join goat with people.

6 Likes

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by Cyberterror: 7:38am On May 25
This is the most prominent Igbo king agreeing that they are not fully Igbos but migrated from Benin but when Ikwerres say the same thing that they are not Igbos, you see the gully erosion people abusing Ikwerres just because of their lust for Ikwerre oil resources and access to the sea.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by oceaneverdry77: 7:39am On May 25
His is not. And can not be. What you don't know you don't know it. So don't be fooling yourself.
EmperorCaesar:
So Yorubas own even the most powerful royalty in Igboland

Now I understand Igbo obsession

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Ekpe Masquerades / Eight Bad Sides Of An African Man You Probably Don't Know / Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.