Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,827 members, 7,862,721 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 01:58 AM

Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife (24009 Views)

Alaafin of Oyo, Lamidi Adeyemi Joins His Ancestors At 83 / Obi Of Onitsha: I Was Saved From Attacked Train Through Phone Call / The Significance Of Oranmiyan Staff And Ife Immovable Heritage Resource. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by muhammaduyusufu: 3:58am On May 25
Igwe Alfred Achebe, Obi Onicha Narrates the Origin of Onitsha and how his ancestors migrated from Benin to found present day Onitsha. He also mentions there was an earlier migration from ife(Ado) hence they’re called Onitsha Ado n’idu which simply translates to Onitsha of Ife and Benin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEhpZGC_BzM?si=jRI6QfUhBH9FecTU

Have you ever wondered why Onitsha has the western style rulership and not the Eastern style? Have you wondered why they Use the Ada and Evben, why they clothe in the royal cotton clothes of the Anioma people and why they consider themselves different from other igbos? Here’s why. Enjoy this revelation by the Obi himself, the custodian of culture and tradition of Onitsha, Agbogidi himself (I hope you all know the origin of the tittle Agbogidi)

For the benefit of those that don’t understand the Obi’s Dialect, The Obi after narrating the history known to him as passed to him from his ancestors went on to say that the next question that will be asked is ‘If the Onitsha people are indigenes of Ado or could they have come to Ado from somewhere else?’

And he went on to still ask that what they’re saying then is ‘Did the igbos move from Eri to Ado and then moved back from Ado’ (this was just him thinking aloud, as this part is not in Onitsha history but he was being diplomatic not to upset other igbos who might not be comfortable with this account passed to him by his ancestors), so he’s leaving these questions for our perusal.

He goes further to ask ‘is it that igbos came from Egypt to Ado and then Benin to their present location ?’ (remember that these are just rhetorical questions and he didn’t provide an answer to it). And then he says ‘all these (questions he raised) are for our perusals

And then he goes on to say that he and the previous Oni and the the present one are in touch/contact/communicate(d) (in an attempt to decipher some of the questions raised)

He also says that the reason why Obi of Onitsha and the Oni (past & present) keeps in touch is because they know that they’re the same (I wanted to use ‘one family’ but I remembered it’s the slogan of a terrorist organization and I have no intention of implying that ife people are parts of it).

Personal Opinion of X user; Obi Achebe has no need to be diplomatic with his origin, he owes no one no apology wether his people are considered second class ibos because they have migrated from across the Niger shouldn’t be his concern. I do appreciate the fact that he was courageous to do this as this will be preserved for unborn generations.

Conclusively, it’s called Onitsha Ado n’idu portraying their origin and not Onitsha Eri.
https://www.bbc.com/igbo/afirika-50720633

76 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by Fortruth: 4:01am On May 25
[quote author=muhammaduyusufu post=130128581][/quote]

Yeah Muhammaduyusufu

Igbo Amaka is the summary for those not wanting to waste time...

Congrats to the return of Lamido oooh...

May Fulani continue to rule for there....

He is a gentle man shaaa

8 Likes

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by muhammaduyusufu: 4:03am On May 25
Fortruth:

Yeah Muhammaduyusufu

Igbo Amaka is the summary for those not wanting to waste time...

Congrats to the return of Lamido oooh...

May Fulani continue to rule for there....

He is a gentle man shaaa
You are welcome sir.

55 Likes

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by Ebibedike1: 4:16am On May 25
Onitsha is not part of Biafra. Know this and know peace.
Oduduwa republic is actually bigger than you all know.,and we will claim and accommodate all of them

102 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by Justiceganduje: 4:44am On May 25
Obi of Onitsha is not the custodian of Igbo.

45 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by Orobadmeat: 4:48am On May 25
Justiceganduje:
Obi of Onitsha is not the custodian of Igbo.
He didn't claim to be one

128 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by muykem: 4:51am On May 25
Onitsha people are immigrants from Yoruba land.

182 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by Orobadmeat: 4:53am On May 25
Ebibedike1:
Oduduwa republic is actually bigger than you all know.,and we will claim and accommodate all of them
The Post is not about Biafra please, That people migrate from a region don't mean they should share a country with you, that people speak same language don't mean they should share a country with you, allow people self determination,

73 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by Thundafireseun: 4:57am On May 25

1 Like

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by NiRfreak(m): 5:07am On May 25
The reason most Africans are so stupidly neck deep into tribalism and war against themselves is basically because they don't know their history
Now look at how this king is tracing a historical relationship btw an Igbo people to Ife (Yoruba) and Benin...yet these three people insult each other on the basis of tribalism for no reason..,May Africans have sense someday so that they CAN unite to do the right things for themselves and nation

216 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by WeddingParol: 5:10am On May 25
No wonder it is the commercial capital of the east

53 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by Orobadmeat: 5:11am On May 25
NiRfreak:
The reason most Africans are so stupidly neck deep into tribalism and war against themselves is basically because they don't know their history
Now look at how this king is tracing a historical relationship btw an Igbo people to Ife (Yoruba) and Benin...yet these three people insult each other on the basis of tribalism for no reason..,May Africans have sense someday so that they CAN unite to do the right things for themselves and nation
Exactly my point brother, this should be an interesting thing, but because selfish agenda and hunger for domination they will not get the point

67 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by jimetagambo: 5:29am On May 25
I have always wondered why the Obi of Onitsha dresses as a SW king and not like other Igbo ezes. It's starting to make sense now.

103 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by Difrent: 5:31am On May 25
Ebibedike1:

But Onitsha used to be the HQ of IPOB

EVEN PO SAID HE LIVES WITH THEM

73 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by Difrent: 5:34am On May 25
jimetagambo:
I have always wondered why the Obi of Onitsha dresses as a SW king and not like other Igbo ezes. It's starting to make sense now.

The king looks more like a Benin palace chief than an igboman
And his title is Obi
While other igbos kings are known as Igwe. The heavy influence of Benin in Onitsha cannot be overlooked
But also we can't take away the fact of Exe Chima also being a founding member of Onitsha along with igalas.
Simply put Onitsha isn't igbo but benin

110 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by jimetagambo: 5:35am On May 25
Difrent:

And his title is Obi
While other igbos kings are known as Igwe. The heavy influence of Benin in Onitsha cannot be overlooked
But also we can't take away the fact of Exe Chima also being a founding member of Onitsha along with igalas.
Thanks for the explanation. I wish our ancestors had written books and passed down. Alot of history was passed on through oral narration. We did not start documenting history till Europeans returned in the 19th century. There were a few European history about Benin/ife connection in the 17th century I think. A Benin prince was also sent to I think Portugal in the 16th or 17th century.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by Difrent: 5:39am On May 25

This is why I laugh when igbos think they taunt yorubas with Lagos belonging to Edos
The part of Lagos Edo own is part of Lagos Island (not even all of Lagos Island )

Even though the influence of Eze Chima, the progenitor of igbos in Onitsha can't be washed away, the city dont belong to igbos alone as the influence of Edo cant also be wished away

92 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by Otuegbe: 5:56am On May 25
Reno, Onitsha has always proclaimed they are not Igbo.. Not a new revelation. The city is Igbo City but the people migrated long time ago. I remember when I used to live at bishop onyeabo, inland town.Every other person is referred as 'nwa onyi igbo' by them.
So calm yourself down. Not a new thing. Now we have integrated
You can see Igbos are accommodating. The obi is even the chairman of the committee of kings in Igbo Land. If you have lived in Igbo Land you will notice the love and care for strangers. NB: obi said they passed through Ife and Benin and not that they originated from there.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by Nonybb: 5:58am On May 25
Who says that Onitsha is not part of Igbo or Biafra? They have continued this propaganda perpetuated by Gowon during the war when he gave the Eastern governorship seat to Asika Ukpabi, an indigent of Onitsha in order to spite Ojukwu who declared Biafra. Ukpabi then rallied around his people and declare their non interest in Biafra

Since that time, some people rode on that ploy that was sanctioned by the northern oligarchs to divide the Igbos. They have successful brainwashed Ikwerre when Gowon visited Port Harcourt in solidarity during the war to distant them from Ndigbo. Till today, that propaganda still stood. They divide and they rule. I know you people might say that Nnaemeka Achebe is a custodian and should know the facts but cultural, linguistically and virtually otherwise, we are not the same with Bini people. If everyone claim to be Bini like Ikwerre people do, then where do Bini from? From the sky? (By the way, I don't even believe that Ikwerre people are not Igbos, because it's like saying, I am from Mbaise, I am not Igbos)

We call God Chineke, and they have theirs. Must everything be linked with the Bini people. Even Lagos State is proclaimed to be Bini original dwelling place, so Yorubas came from Bini too? What is so special about them that everyone else have to come from them? Then change the name of Nigeria to Bigeria

29 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by Airdropboss(m): 5:58am On May 25

1 Like

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by SS777(m): 6:00am On May 25

Igbo states are not even upto 3 states.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by SS777(m): 6:02am On May 25
Ebibedike1:

Igbo states are not even upto 3 states.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by SS777(m): 6:04am On May 25
jimetagambo:

He's not Igbo just like Obi of Asaba, but Igbo always want to force themselves on people's.

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by Putinofrussia: 6:14am On May 25
Ebibedike1:

Even Zik and other real Igbos confirmed this history except the fake Igbos like Anamb.ra1stson,Bestmanfornow and co. grin
Yorubas own the South.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by gidgiddy: 6:16am On May 25
Mischief makers who dont understand what the Obi of Onitsha said because they don't understand Igbo language

What the Obi of Onitsha said is that Onitsha are Igbos who initially left the East and ventured to Ife(Ado) but later had a misunderstanding with Ife people, then decided to return home. On their way back, they passed through Bini(Idu), crossed the River Niger and and settled in present day Onitsha. He also said that those Igbos founded several communities along the way back to the East, the Igbos of Delta State(Anioma)

He was adamant that they were initially Igbo, not Ife or Bini. Onitsha was founded by Igbos who were reverse-migrating

72 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by simpleseyi: 6:20am On May 25
So Onitsha people are runaway Yorubas, yet they hate Yorubas so much.

35 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by simpleseyi: 6:23am On May 25
Orobadmeat:
The Post is not about Biafra please, That people migrate from a region don't mean they should share a country with you, that people speak same language don't mean they should share a country with you, allow people self determination,

We are not saying we want to share a country with you. In fact, we will be happy to let you bear another name different from Nigeria. However, what we are saying is that there will never be an independent drug trafficking nation in West Africa, not to talk of being Nigeria's neighbor.

That will be another Mexico beside USA. So our advice is that you talk to your fellow drug trafficking nations like Mexico, Columbia, e.t.c. to give you a small piece of land within their own drug farms so that you can migrate your people there. You just need a small piece of land around the area that Mexico, Columbia, e.t.c. are, just a small piece afterall the land you occupy in Nigeria which is split into 5 states is not even up to the size of Niger State alone

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by oluztx: 6:26am On May 25
C
Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by nabiz(m): 6:27am On May 25
Difrent:

And his title is Obi
migrating from benin may not mean that they are from benin. It may mean that they once settle in benin may be something happened the decided to move out. The truth is that Igbo and Yoruba not all Yorubas have a lot in common, may even be a bros or a very close relation

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by Almaigaa: 6:36am On May 25
Obi of Onitsha and other first class kings in the East don run from East to the North. As the East is no longer safe for them.

10 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by Emyogalanya: 6:39am On May 25
Otuegbe:
Reno, Onitsha has always proclaimed they are not Igbo.. Not a new revelation. The city is Igbo City but the people migrated long time ago. I remember when I used to live at bishop onyeabo, inland town.Every other person is referred as 'nwa onyi igbo' by them.
So calm yourself down. Not a new thing. Now we have integrated
You can see Igbos are accommodating. The obi is even the chairman of the committee of kings in Igbo Land. If you have lived in Igbo Land you will notice the love and care for strangers.
I wonder why people still think they are not Igbo's its like saying that americans are still italians cos they Migrated from italy. Or that israelians are egyptians after staying there for over 400 years

14 Likes

Re: Obi Of Onitsha Narrates Migration Of His Ancestors From Benin And Ife by bewla(m): 6:55am On May 25
Another alie down inside them if you no you no

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Learning French Language / ABU, Zaria Management Storms Onitsha For Ofala Festival (Photos) / Similarity In Some Nigerian Languages

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.