Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,480 members, 7,819,751 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:19 PM

The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread - Car Talk (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread (210482 Views)

Comparing Some Honda, Toyota, Nissan And Volkswagen Cars / Is The Audi A6 A Good Car To Buy? / Sienas Help And Advice To Eternal05 On The Audi A6 2001 Model. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (58) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by SMOOOTH(m): 6:32pm On Jan 04, 2012
Siena,

i need ur advice as regards my 3.2l vr6 touareg, i recently changed one of the post cat oxygen sensors in a bid
to correct the permanently illuminated CEL,unfortunately, the light is still on and i ran a scan again just to realise that the second post cat lambda sensor needs to be changed.

After series of maintenance checks were warried out, i realised that the tranny sump had a wet patch, which indicates that the gasket is probably torn and needs to be changed, this is most likely responsible for the harsh downshifts ive been experiencing from D5 toD4.

In this regard, im wondering if u could help procure the replacement gasket,o2 sensor,aisin recommended tranny oil.

Also, a detailed expalnation of how to carry out the tranny oil change will be highly appreciated.

Thanks a zillion
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by abbeybj(m): 10:47am On Jan 05, 2012
Compliments of the season to you,

Please i need your expertise knowledge to diagnose the problems i have seen with my Audi car.

Audi
A4
V4
Manual transmission of 5 speed
The year am not sured of.
It is US or Euro
Front wheel,

The car is always difficult to start when cold or hot (when parked for a short while). Also the car jerks in motion. the airbag light is always on while the handbrake light on the dashboard comes up intermittently.

Mr. Siena, what are the possible causes of these problems highlighted. Sir, your speedy response is highly looked up to. The car is going bad each day. you can reach me on: abbeybj2002@yahoo.com

Biodun
Lagos, Nigeria.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 2:33pm On Jan 05, 2012
@ Smooth and Abbeybj, I'll post possible solutions later in the day.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by abbeybj(m): 2:47pm On Jan 05, 2012
OK. Thanks in anticipation of your valued response.

Regards.
Biodun.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by SMOOOTH(m): 6:19pm On Jan 05, 2012
PROF SIENA ,

waiting on ur advice ,
thanks
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by abbeybj(m): 11:50am On Jan 06, 2012
Morning Mr. Siena,

I wish to remind you of the discussion posted here yesterday on the Audi A4 issues raised. However, your reply stated your intention of getting back to us later in the day but we are still awaiting your most sort after solutions.

Thanks.

Warm Regards
Biodun.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 1:18pm On Jan 06, 2012
SMOOOTH:

Siena,
i need your advice as regards my 3.2l vr6 touareg, i recently changed one of the post cat oxygen sensors in a bid
to correct the permanently illuminated CEL,unfortunately, the light is still on and i ran a scan again just to realise that the second post cat lambda sensor needs to be changed.
After series of maintenance checks were warried out, i realised that the tranny sump had a wet patch, which indicates that the gasket is probably torn and needs to be changed, this is most likely responsible for the harsh downshifts ive been experiencing from D5 toD4.
In this regard, im wondering if u could help procure the replacement gasket,o2 sensor,aisin recommended tranny oil.
Also, a detailed expalnation of how to carry out the tranny oil change will be highly appreciated.
Thanks a zillion

Hi, my apologies for my late response.

Volkswagen Touareg 3,2 VR6 DOHC 24V, 250 bhp.

From your engine, your Touareg is from Europe. When you ran a scan, what code did you come up with? I only ask, because I need to know the code definition you came up with. If you don't have the definition, just the code itself would be helpful.

The shifting issues in the Aisin transmission have been well documented, it's a very sensitive usit, and ideally, the fluid change needs to be carried out at a set temperature, otherwise the level may be wrong - too high, or too low. The filter MUST be replaced too. I can procure the oil, filter and gasket for the Aisin tiptronic in your Touareg. Procedure is fairly easy, as long as you follow the steps as listed below:

* Jack up your Touareg, and support the front securely on axle stands. Do no work under the car whilst just supported by a jack, the Touareg weighs just over 2 metric tonnes, and if it collapses, the results could be fatal.

*Remove underbody panel. Remove metal brace that rear section of underbody panel attaches to.
* Drain fluid via torx drain plug.
* Remove pan and gasket.
*Replace filter, don't forget the black o-ring!!! torque to 7.5 ft-lb
*Clean pan, fit new gasket. re-install pan. Torque the bolts to 4.5 ft-lb
* Install drain plug, 21 ft-lb
*Remove hex head fill plug. We have a special tool for filling the trans. Good luck with this. Maybe you could use one of the generic pumps you can get at Napa, etc. Fill trans until fluid spills out of hole. Re-fit hex head plug.
*Now this is were the we use the PIWIS, you must set the level with the transmission at 40 C. Maybe use a infared heat gun
* Warm up transmission in lower load range. Switch all transmission ranges several times while doing so. (P,R,N,D 2nd and 1st)
*Read out ATF temperature using the PIWIS Tester. ATF temperature: 40 °C.
*Selector lever is in position P.
*Test and filling process at idle speed.
* Fill trans. until fluid overflows hole.
*Torque fill plug to 52 ft-lb
* Filling capacity is 8.5Liters or 9.6Liters pending on trans. build date.

To compensate for any spilled fluid, I would suggest 10 litres.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by abbeybj(m): 1:45pm On Jan 06, 2012
Mr Siena, Pls I am seriously longing for your reply. As it appears you have answered the other guy that wrote same day with me.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by abbeybj(m): 2:22pm On Jan 06, 2012
Siena, You have not attended to my request, please.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 2:27pm On Jan 06, 2012
abbeybj:

Compliments of the season to you,

Please i need your expertise knowledge to diagnose the problems i have seen with my Audi car.

Audi
A4
V4
It is US or Euro
Front wheel,

The car is always difficult to start when cold or hot (when parked for a short while). Also the car jerks in motion. the airbag light is always on while the handbrake light on the dashboard comes up intermittently.

Mr. Siena, what are the possible causes of these problems highlighted. Sir, your speedy response is highly looked up to. The car is going bad each day. you can reach me on: abbeybj2002@yahoo.com

Biodun
Lagos, Nigeria.

Sorry Biodun for my late response. The Spam BOT's been at work, it's still hasn't released my response to SMOOTH.

You're not sure of the year of your car, so will ask just one question to clarify.

Is your car turbo, or non-turbo?
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by abbeybj(m): 2:32pm On Jan 06, 2012
it is non-turbo.
I think it is '95 or 96. well am not so sure.
Thanks.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 3:10pm On Jan 06, 2012
Audi A4 B5.
Engine: 1,8 I4 DOHC 20V, 125 bhp.
Fuel type: Petrol
Fuel system: Multi-Point Fuel Injection.
Transmission: 5-speed 01A manual.
Drive configuration: FWD.
Model year: 1996.
Country of origin: Europe.

Original query:

abbeybj:

Audi
A4
V4
It is US or Euro
Front wheel,

Biodun
Lagos, Nigeria.

1) Engine difficult to start hot or cold, no check engine light.

The 1,8 non-turbo is prone to throttle body issues, especially if the battery has been disconnected, or the battery has gone flat.

a) Scan engine for codes. You'll need more than a generic code reader to return engine to basic setting. This will reset the throttle body, and sync it to the ECU.

b) Possible faulty coil pack, or plugs. The 1,8 non-turbo has two coil pack, if one is faulty, it will affect two cylinders, and running will be rough and jerky.

c) Possible faulty crankshaft angle sensor. This is a well known cause of poor running, and difficulty in starting, hot or cold. It is bolted to the engine block, on the driver's side, below and behind the oil filter. Often replaced as a preventive measure, if the car has covered a lot of miles (above 85,000 miles).

d) Possible dirty fuel filter. I would replace this as a matter of course. And it wouldn't be a bad idea to run injector cleaner / fuel system treatment through the tank. About 125/150 ml is enough to treat a tankful (approx. 66 litres).

2) Airbag warning light on. Possible causes:

a) Dislodged connector for seat airbag (under seat, yellow connector). Check connections are secure, both front seats have airbags.

b) Faulty clock spring. This is the link between the steering wheel airbag and the steering column. It is very delicate, and can be damaged simply by removing the steering wheel, and replacing without first putting the steering wheel in the straight-ahead position. Or just normal wear in the tracks.

c) Damaged airbag crash sensor/s. These are located on the front chassis fraim rails, behind and underneath the headlamps. They can be damaged by continous immersion in water, which will corrode the connectors. Unplug, clean and reconnect.

d) Faulty airbag control module. Failure is rare, but possible. It's unlikely to get damaged by water, as it's inside the car, on the central tunnel behind the centre console.

I would scan the airbag system for codes. By all means, clear the codes, but make sure you write them down first, and their definitions if shown. The same goes for the engine, we'll take things from there.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by SMOOOTH(m): 4:53pm On Jan 06, 2012
Thanks siena !

So now that i have a well documented DIY procedure, whats d next step as per procuring d replacement parts?

As per your request, what came up after the scan was something like this:

P301 O2s ckt no activity 2 of 1
It baffles me , cos i dont know what that means.

I hope the description makes sense?
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by SMOOOTH(m): 5:01pm On Jan 06, 2012
Mr Siena,

Please could you describe the location of the hexagonal head fill plug?

I cant locate it .

Thanks so much
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 5:11pm On Jan 06, 2012
SMOOOTH:

Mr Siena,
Please could you describe the location of the hexagonal head fill plug?
I cant locate it .
Thanks so much

No worries bro, it's actually under the oil pan. There are two plugs there - the small one's the drain, the large one's the refill plug (#13). Diagram posted helow:

Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by SMOOOTH(m): 5:14pm On Jan 06, 2012
Sienna ,

Just an update , ive been able to set my hands on a torque wrench , a fliter belt, my challenge is how to use d filter belt to get a torque of 7.5pounds/feet or maybe the filter is tightened using attached bolts? i guess i will find out by the time i carry out disassembly

im still trying to look for an infra red heat gun and a generic pump,

Rather than jack it up, i could carry out the job by working from a pit the type found in filling stations in nigeria?

still waiting on the cost of :

1 post catalytic converter lambda sensor

1 tranny oil filter

1 tranny sump gasket

10ltrs of aisin recommended tranny oil.

Thanks !
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 5:15pm On Jan 06, 2012
SMOOOTH:

Thanks siena !

So now that i have a well documented DIY procedure, whats d next step as per procuring d  replacement parts?

As per your request, what came up after the scan was something like this:

P301 O2s ckt no activity 2 of 1
It baffles me , cos i dont know what that means.

I hope the description makes sense?

Sure the code wasn't P0301? Please verify.

For procurement, please shoot me an email. siena_@hotmail.co.uk
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 5:28pm On Jan 06, 2012
SMOOOTH:

Sienna ,

Just an update , ive been able to set my hands on a torque wrench , a fliter belt, my challenge is how to use d filter belt to get a torque of 7.5pounds/feet or maybe the filter is tightened using attached bolts? i guess i will find out by the time i carry out disassembly

im still trying to look for an infra red heat gun and a generic pump,

Rather than jack it up, i could carry out the job by working from a pit the type found in filling stations in nigeria?

still waiting on the cost of :

1 post catalytic converter lambda sensor

1 tranny oil filter

1 tranny sump gasket

10ltrs of aisin recommended tranny oil.

Thanks !

It's good to see one tackling jobs on their vehicle themselves, it gives a great feeling of achievement. smiley

Two items here are chassis number dependent. There are 6 different part numbers for the Aisin fluid, and getting the wrong one will be a major pain. The post-catalyst O2 / Lambda Sond has 4 part numbers too.

If you could post the VIN, that will enable me get the correct items, without any guesswork. smiley
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 5:32pm On Jan 06, 2012
An inspection pit, as used in most Nigerian filling stations will do just fine.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by SMOOOTH(m): 11:02am On Jan 07, 2012
Siena ,

yea it was p0301. ill shoot u a mail immediatelyas per the quote.
thanks
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by tobee: 10:05pm On Jan 07, 2012
Hi Siena, I salute u for the great job u are doing here. I just wanted to know if Volkswagen Tiguan is a good choice. Ve deposited some money for it. I'm buying and shipping from America, so it's American specs. There is this premium oil issue I read about it. Pls advise as it is not too late. Thank you.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 11:04pm On Jan 07, 2012
tobee:

Hi Siena, I salute u for the great job u are doing here. I just wanted to know if Volkswagen Tiguan is a good choice. Ve deposited some money for it. I'm buying and shipping from America, so it's American specs. There is this premium oil issue I read about it. Pls advise as it is not too late. Thank you.

The Volkswagen Tiguan is related to the current Volkswagen Passat, Jetta and the ever popular Golf V and VI, so in terms of the mechanicals, the Tiguan is pretty much the same. So far, no reported issues.

What engine is the one you're looking to buy? And is yours AWD or FWD?
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by tobee: 11:14pm On Jan 07, 2012
Oh, thanks for the swift reply. U are the best. I decided to go for the FWD cos I don't really need the AWD for anything . I only need to drive my car to work and back home .
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by tobee: 11:16pm On Jan 07, 2012
I forgot to mention the engine. It's a 2.0turbocharged engine
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 12:02am On Jan 08, 2012
tobee:

I forgot to mention the engine. It's a 2.0turbocharged engine

So it's a 2,0 TFSI.

I'll post details relating to your choice tomorrow.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by tobee: 12:05am On Jan 08, 2012
Exactly. Thanks
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by femmy2010(m): 5:32am On Jan 08, 2012
Wonder why this thread was not made sticky cos it is sure more educative than many stuck up there ooo.

Great Job Oga Sienna and a happy new year.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 2:44pm On Jan 08, 2012
^^^ Thanks bro, all the best for you and yours in the year 2012.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by tobee: 11:09pm On Jan 08, 2012
Hey Siena, pls don't forget the details u said to post. Pls help do that when it's convenient. Thanks in advance
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by iKoksi(m): 3:33pm On Jan 09, 2012
Hello Siena/All,
Happy New Year to You.
Apologies for late update on my car situation.

On receipt of parts, the following were carried out:
1. Belt renewed - my neighbours are now able to sleep in the morning when I start the car

2. Mass Air Flow Meter renewed DIY -
   * Fuel consumption dropped significantly
   * Steady steaming at idle (no more irregular revving)
   * Code clears for Random Misfire (no need to renew coils)

3. Transmission Range Sensor Renewed (Although managed to break Transmission Mount bracket in the process):
   All them transmission sickness healed!
   * No More limp mode at any shift position
   * smooth change up/down gears

The car is in a fairly stable condition now. in the past 3weeks it has done Abuja-Jos-Abuja, Abuja-Calabar-Uyo-Abuja with no issues (only damaged my shocks on bad roads)

Very many thanks Siena/All. Will sort A/C out once i'v got the funds.
Thanks and regards.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 4:06pm On Jan 09, 2012
^^^ Glad to hear your Audi A4 B6, 3,0 Quattro is back in good health, Ikoksi. And even happier to hear you tackled some of the jobs yourself. cool
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by tobee: 12:24am On Jan 14, 2012
Hi Siena, pls enlighten me on Volkswagen diagnostic tool. I want to buy one from America. I need to know where and which is the best to buy. Thanks. God bless u

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (58) (Reply)

What Causes A Car To Start Consuming Fuel Excessively / Help.my Honda Crv Drive "d" Indicator Light Blinks (Now solved) / BMW Owners' Forum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.