Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,739 members, 7,851,540 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 10:02 PM

Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (43) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 (2353253 Views)

R36L Madrid - Most Successful & Greatest Champ15ns of Spain, Europe & W8rld / Arsenal Fans Thread (for Arsenal Fans) / Chelsea Fans Thread : Winners of the FA Cup And League Winners 09/10 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) ... (3544) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by dipo1: 4:59pm On Feb 20, 2012
Wenger must accept that though we don't have unlimited funds, he has done rather poorly with monies we have. His signed Park, renewed JD's contract and keeps Arshavin whose pay is relatively high. Waste of our little funds.

We are not performing so badly cos of lack of money, we are cos we mismanaged what we have.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by coogar: 5:32pm On Feb 20, 2012
ritchboy:

How did Wenger manage to misspend LITTLE, lose some of his best players, yet remain in the top four? The EPL must be shit then!

epl is not shyte. . . . .wenger was winning league titles before now.
he won 2 titles in 3 seasons at a point in his career and now he's struggling to stay in the top four.
of course, arsenal have regressed as a club if staying in the top four is now the priority instead of going out there to win titles.

ritchboy:

And received how much from player sales? It's all relative!

If Wenger has really been misspending the "little" he's got, Arsenal woulda been relegated a long time ago!

he spent £53m and made £70m in sales.
i believe he could still have made astute signings with that £53m instead of the quacks he bought in the last minute of the transfer window.

debosky:

Yeah, and how is Ben Arfa better than Gervinho? What has Cheik Tiote done that Song has not done? What exactly has Cabaye done for Newcastle? What are his goals/assists stats compared with Arteta?

who is alex song compared to cheik tiote? are you a troglodyte? you are comparing their level at newcastle to a team like arsenal where the general performance is high and thus everyone in the team gets carried forward. the question should be how would gervinho, arteta and song perform in newcastle with less technical players in the squad? the answer i am sure is not what you would want to answer.

alex song is shyte. . . . .i was arguing on a thread the other day about alex song vs mikel obi.
it is fair to say mikel is 50 times better than him. he's more brawns than brains.
his statistics is disgusting in the things he should be doing as a defensive midfielder. that per metresacker and koscielny get exposed week in week out is because alex song as a screen is useless.

Is Friedel better than Sczezney or just benefiting from a settled defence playing in front of him game after game?

friedel is 1000 times better than szczesny unless you are a billy goat.

Of that lot the only ones that merit discussion are Demba Ba and maybe Parker. The others are shyte.
Any phool can assemble a list of players from 100 clubs and say Wenger could've bought them.

demba ba was a free transfer, he's better than chamakh, park and bendtner all put together.
if arsenal have ba as a weapon on the bench. . . .most of the games you have drawn or lost would have been salvaged.

parker was acquired for peanuts and he's better than anyone in the arsenal midfield as we speak.
arsenal have no full-back of good quality. gibbs, santos, sagna have all become also rans. ryan taylor was another free transfer for newcastle - i am sure he would have done a better job than metresacker. . . . .you must be an irredeemable tool if you think shawcross and robert huth are not better than any arsenal defender as we speak. they are no sicknotes too. . . . .they play in almost every game.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by dayokanu(m): 5:34pm On Feb 20, 2012
Didnt Wenger buy Arteta, Mertersacker, Oxlade, Benayoun, Gervinho, Santos etc this summer?

Yet the excuse is lack of money?

What was used to buy those players?
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by slimshay(m): 5:39pm On Feb 20, 2012
Huth and Shawcross. . . .bwahahaha. Nucca GTFOH!!
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by coogar: 6:02pm On Feb 20, 2012
slimshay:

Huth and Shawcross. . . .bwahahaha. Nucca GTFOH!!

you are hopelessly deluded if you think shawcross is not better than metresacker who is a bumbling oaf!
then you have the ever reliable robert huth who gives you 100% commitment and is ready to die for the shirt with peanuts as wages.

i have seen teams in this very league on shoe-string budgets and they still deliver good performance week in week out.
i would have done better with £53m than what arsene wenger assembled in the summer.

was money the factor when arsenal were bundled out of the cup final against obafemi martins' birmingham fc.
what was birmingham's total worth compared to arsenal on the night? how come arsenal still failed to win that game within 90 mins?
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by ritchboy(m): 7:51pm On Feb 20, 2012
Hehehe, everyone that has played Football Manager or FPL now think they have valid opinions! cheesy

Nuccahs are asking why Wenger didn't sign Tom, Nick and Kim or sell Bert, Ernie and Barney. Ninjas obviously don't understand the dynamics of the transfer market to be making such daft statements. . . This ain't a movie dog!

OK, why didn't Fergie sign Cabaye last summer? After all many United fans will tell you they have the worst central midfield in the top six.

Why didn't Spurs sell Bentley, Giovanni etc and replace them with Ben Arfa or Siphiwe Tshabalala? cheesy
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by biolabee(m): 9:16pm On Feb 20, 2012
kenkruse:

Delusional statements here and there, what a defeat can cause. sad  We have got more Piers Morgan in this thread. Surprise to note that debo is in. Things cant go your way every time, only the strong can survive. More accusing fingers on Dudu. It's a shame, REALLY!

Everybody is singing 7 years without a trophy as if it is all that matters. I started supporting Arsenal within this years of trophyless seasons. Not that i dont like glory but i enjoy myself watching Arsenal play beautiful football. SURELY, trophy will come but we have to show solidality to this team and manager at this trying time. No team is destined to win a trophy. Players are not only motivated by money, but passion from fans.Ask Samir Nasri, he will tell you that he left because Arsenal fans lack passion. Win a game and everybody will be happy, at defeat, they call for Wengers head and criticise all the players. Again, it is a shame.

Well for me, I will continue supporting this team and manager until, trophy wining clubs start sharing money to their fan. RUBBISH!

i like your post but unfortunately your point is not valid
The issue with arsenal is not money,  money or lack of it did not make us lose the Carling Cup final, did not cause indiscipline which made van P get himself sent off against Barca in the Nou Camp
Money did not make us play poorly against the da Silva and 7 defenders in the FA Cup.
Money did not account for the poor play at the San Siro,

So for those of us that are not happy with the state of things at the club, dont come here sounding so superior and telling we are not fans of the club
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by coogar: 12:23am On Feb 21, 2012
ritchboy:

Hehehe, everyone that has played Football Manager or FPL now think they have valid opinions! cheesy

yes it is that easy when there's £53m to spend.

Nuccahs are asking why Wenger didn't sign Tom, Nick and Kim or sell Bert, Ernie and Barney. Ninjas obviously don't understand the dynamics of the transfer market to be making such daft statements. . . This ain't a movie dog!

arsene wenger is a knuckle-head. nothing compares to his stupidity, intransigence and lunacy.

OK, why didn't Fergie sign Cabaye last summer? After all many United fans will tell you they have the worst central midfield in the top six.

that worst central midfield won the league and played in the final of the champions league.
many managers would kill for that same central midfield. had wenger's troops achieved the same results last season, would we be here discussing your gaffer's lunatic tendencies?

ritchboy, do you reason with the corn on your toes?

Why didn't Spurs sell Bentley, Giovanni etc and replace them with Ben Arfa or Siphiwe Tshabalala? cheesy

spurs are doing just fine too.
they have the best central midfield in the league. parker + sandro + modric = quality.
there's a marked improvement of the spurs of this season and that of last season. they keep improving every season unlike arsenal who keep regressing.
stop mixing apples and oranges.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by ritchboy(m): 9:42am On Feb 21, 2012
coogar:
that worst central midfield won the league and played in the final of the champions league.

ritchboy, do you reason with the corn on your toes?

See scatter-brained analysis at it's finest. . .

First of all, the central midfield alone didn't win the league and reach UCL final, every team has it's weakest link. In fact most people agree United lost the UCL final cos their central midfield was gangbanged by Barca.

Secondly, i don't understand what last season's achievements have to do with United strengthening their squad for THIS season. In case you missed the memo, United were already out of three competitions by January after being knocked out of the FA Cup by Liverpool, losing to lowly Crystal Palace in the League Cup, and failing to qualify from a relatively weak UCL group and are currently playing Thursday night football.

Facts easily forgettable considering Arsenal/Chelsea are hogging the crisis headlines. You cannot possibly tell me Cabaye isn't an improvement over Anderson/Giggs etc.

spurs are doing just fine too.
they have the best central midfield in the league. parker + sandro + modric = quality.

More of the same. . . OK, they're "doing fine", couldn't they have done "finer" with a better squad?

I named Giovanni and Bentley, are Parker, Modric and Sandro wingers?

there's a marked improvement of the spurs of this season and that of last season. they keep improving every season unlike arsenal who keep regressing.

Selective amnesia. I doubt there's any team that improves/regresses "every" season unless you're only seeing what you want to see. Spurs finished fourth two seasons ago and fifth last season, that's improvement according to Coogar. Save your premature ejaculations for the end of the season when we'll actually know where they ended up.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by v3: 9:58am On Feb 21, 2012
Frimpong is going HAM on Piers Morgan on twitter grin grin
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by proudly9ja(m): 10:34am On Feb 21, 2012
Meanwhile,

However, while the knives are clearly out in force, the Frenchman maintains that Arsenal can rescue their season by securing Champions League football for next term, but recognises that he needs to revitalise several highly paid yet under performing members of his team first.

They include struggling forwards Marouane Chamakh and Park Chu-Young, who featured as a strike duo in the Carling Cup earlier in the season, but are now pencilled in to start against Norwich City reserves on Tuesday evening, with the mandate that they must improve if they want to be considered for Sunday's North London derby with Tottenham.

Wenger is also set to throw Andrey Arshavin into the second string squad, should he pass a fitness test, again with the notion that he must show dramatic improvements in the coming months if he is to stay at the club, while Yossi Benayoun and Kieran Gibbs have also asked if they can play, to put themselves in contention.

The decision is seen as Wenger's last throw of the dice in a bid to transform Chamakh, Park and Arshavin, with the hope that they will see the climb down as a challenge, ahead of a vital run of games for the club.

Elsewhere, Arsenal are expected to give a run out to Carl Jenkinson against Norwich, as he completes his come back from a stress fracture to his back

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/890890-marouane-chamakh-and-andrey-arshavin-relegated-to-arsenal-reserves#ixzz1n0VvSQ5K
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by coogar: 11:19am On Feb 21, 2012
ritchboy:

See scatter-brained analysis at it's finest. . .
First of all, the central midfield alone didn't win the league and reach UCL final, every team has it's weakest link. In fact most people agree United lost the UCL final cos their central midfield was gangbanged by Barca.

your comment puts the i in idiotic. . . . .

most people agree united lost the ucl because their central midfield was gangbanged? which football team hasn't lost to guardiola's barca? teams like spurs, real madrid, arsenal, etc all lost to barcelona. united were just unfortunate to be in the same competition as one of the best teams in the history of football. nothing to do with united's central midfield that won the english league and reached the european final having mopped the floor with chelsea(which you perceive have a better central midfield). we all saw how arsenal was mentally detached by the same barcelona team. why didn't your superior midfield beat barcelona over 2 legs? grin cheesy why didn't madrid's supersonic midfield damage barca over 2 legs? united lost and it's because they have a weak midfield.

you are so inscrutable, you make the bawling of a newborn sound like mozart's 5th symphony!

Secondly, i don't understand what last season's achievements have to do with United strengthening their squad for THIS season. In case you missed the memo, United were already out of three competitions by January after being knocked out of the FA Cup by Liverpool, losing to lowly Crystal Palace in the League Cup, and failing to qualify from a relatively weak UCL group and are currently playing Thursday night football.

all that is down to the obscene amount of injured players @ man utd. if we cut it down to the football, united have played, they have been loads better than last season when they could only win 5 games away from home. united had their best start under fergie this season then injury to key players undid them. that they are even 2 points off the top is a testament to the strength of their squad. the points accrued so far also agree with me.
a cursory glance at the injury room website should tell you had united been lucky to have man city's clean bill of health, they would be at least 10 points clear on the table as we speak.

Facts easily forgettable considering Arsenal/Chelsea are hogging the crisis headlines. You cannot possibly tell me Cabaye isn't an improvement over Anderson/Giggs etc.

improvement on giggs that single-handedly obliterated the chelsea midfield last season that took united to their league title or the european final?
if it ain't broke, don't fix it. i am very happy with anderson/giggs @ man utd. cabaye is not even 5 levels close to the perennial winners in the man utd team.

it is arsenal that cannot win a pin for 7 seasons consecutively. they need an immediate revamp after 7 years of gnashing of teeth.
i look at the arsenal midfield and it's softer than the core of trebor. who do we have there? ramsey? song? arteta? an ordinary apprentice called tom cleverley took them to the cleaners in the 8-2 debacle and arsenal's season hasn't been the same since then.

More of the same. . . OK, they're "doing fine", couldn't they have done "finer" with a better squad?
I named Giovanni and Bentley, are Parker, Modric and Sandro wingers?

how finer can they do? you have tottenham who didn't even make the top four last season in the top three and you are telling me they have not improved?
even a blind bartimeaus knows tottenham have stepped it up. giovanni and bentley are squad players. they have bale, lennon, van der vaart and even modric who can play on the flank. they have adebayor on loan and saha who are causing mayhem in the attack.

they don't have the kind of money arsenal command from the gates but they have done better than arsenal under harry redknapp.
tottenham keep progressing, arsenal keep regressing.
your show of shame would be obvious when they put wenger out of his misery on sunday.

Selective amnesia. I doubt there's any team that improves/regresses "every" season unless you're only seeing what you want to see. Spurs finished fourth two seasons ago and fifth last season, that's improvement according to Coogar. Save your premature ejaculations for the end of the season when we'll actually know where they ended up.

look at this troglodyte.
so arsenal have not regressed since 2005? a team that used to compete with man utd for the titles and suddenly stopped winning hasn't regressed?
yes, spurs finished 4th 2 seasons ago but that was down to man city's fortunes. . . .with the kind of money city spent last season, spurs had to be the scape goat dropping out. . . . .but now they are back in it and arsenal(once a great club that every one admired) are now struggling to get into the top four.

you have to be a blind bat not to think arsenal have regressed so badly.
it's gotten so bad wenger thinks staying in the top four is winning a trophy. by wenger's idiotic logic, arsenal have won a trophy in the last 7 seasons.
how deluded can this man get? i heard some supporters held a meeting last night to discuss wenger. his bubble has burst, i really hope tottenham paste him on sunday so we can get rid of this useless recidivist once and for all. grin
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by debosky(m): 11:36am On Feb 21, 2012
Personally Arsene made only one bad buy in the summer and that’s Park. Santos was a decent signing, so were Per, Arteta and Gervinho. Benayoun didn’t cost anything in transfer fees so shouldn’t be added to the list. Oxlade Chamberlain has also been a good signing for Arsenal. For the prices paid for Joel Campbell and Jenkinson, I consider them reasonable gambles for the future.

Utd made £50m worth of signings as well, without losing the calibre of players that Arsenal lost (in terms of importance to the team).

Considering that Utd won the title and reached the UCL finals last year and STILL went ahead to spend that amount, it shows you that in reality, the £53m spent by Wenger is a paltry sum considering the yawning gaps in the squad even prior to the loss of Cesc, Nasri, Clichy and Wilshere, not mentioning Comrade Eboue the fufu king. grin
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by coogar: 11:43am On Feb 21, 2012
debosky:

Personally Arsene made only one bad buy in the summer and that’s Park. Santos was a decent signing, so were Per, Arteta and Gervinho. Benayoun didn’t cost anything in transfer fees so shouldn’t be added to the list. Oxlade Chamberlain has also been a good signing for Arsenal. For the prices paid for Joel Campbell and Jenkinson, I consider them reasonable gambles for the future.

arteta, santos, metresacker were all horrible buys. . . .

Utd made £50m worth of signings as well, without losing the calibre of players that Arsenal lost (in terms of importance to the team).

says who?
in terms of quality, brown, van der sar, oshea, etc are not bad at all. they are all proven winners.
after all, we saw how o'shea sodomized van persie @ the stadium of light on saturday.

Considering that Utd won the title and reached the UCL finals last year and STILL went ahead to spend that amount, it shows you that in reality, the £53m spent by Wenger is a paltry sum considering the yawning gaps in the squad even prior to the loss of Cesc, Nasri, Clichy and Wilshere, not mentioning Comrade Eboue the fufu king. grin

united spent that amount because 8 players in the senior squad were moved out.
oshea, brown, neville, scholes, van der sar, gibson, obertan and diouf!
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by debosky(m): 12:14pm On Feb 21, 2012
coogar:

united spent that amount because 8 players in the senior squad were moved out.
oshea, brown, neville, scholes, van der sar, gibson, obertan and diouf!

Arsenal moved out Eboue, Clichy, Nasri, Cesc, Bendtner, Denilson, Campbell and Vela.

This doesn't exclude the prolonged absences of Diaby, Wilshere amongst others due to injury.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by coogar: 12:20pm On Feb 21, 2012
debosky:

Arsenal moved out Eboue, Clichy, Nasri, Cesc, Bendtner, Denilson, Campbell and Vela.

This doesn't exclude the prolonged absences of Diaby, Wilshere amongst others due to injury.

and they brought in santos, park, chamberlain, gervinho, arteta, benyaoun, metresacker, eisfeld, joel campbell and they promoted coquelin.
what a way to spend £53 million.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by debosky(m): 2:07pm On Feb 21, 2012
For those that believe Arsenal was a 'poor club' before Arsene joined, an interesting article:

[img]http://afchistory.files./2012/02/21021995-editorial-on-his-dismissal.png?w=584[/img]
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by ritchboy(m): 2:27pm On Feb 21, 2012
Mr Coogar, you must be mad if you think i have time to address all the rubbish you typed up there!
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by coogar: 2:40pm On Feb 21, 2012
ritchboy:

Mr Coogar, you must be mad if you think i have time to address all the rubbish you typed up there!

thunder roast your testicles. grin
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by ritchboy(m): 2:50pm On Feb 21, 2012
May your balls grow in inverse proportion to the universe! grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by dayokanu(m): 3:16pm On Feb 21, 2012
debosky:

So you are saying Arsene made decent buys, But why is he going trophyless again as early as february

Signings were not the problem according to you, So could it be that its the coaching thats the problem?
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by debosky(m): 3:38pm On Feb 21, 2012
If you add decent (not outstanding) buys to a depleted squad, you get average performance - which is what we are getting now.

I didn’t say signings were not the problem, I said the signings made in the summer were decent in themselves. However, they were still inadequate to fill the gaping holes in the squad.

The problem with signings still remains - more aptly the problem with failing to replace your best talent still remains.

If we didn’t lose Cesc, Nasri and Clichy for example, but sold Rozzi, Diaby and Squillaci with the same level of signings in the summer you’d have gotten a net improvement of the squad, not a weakening.

Secondly, the signings could have been optimised if we didn’t lose those players - instead of splashing cash on Santos and Gervinho for example, we could’ve bought a good striker for £18m to back up RVP - again strengthening the squad.

We can all play football manager all day if we want, but the key problem for Arsenal over the past 7 years remains failing to replace your best players but replacing them with average players.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by dayokanu(m): 4:13pm On Feb 21, 2012
Taking Man Utd as an example

Who did they replace outstanding players like Ronaldo and Tevez with?

And since both left Have they won titles? Its all to do with the Management.

Are you saying If Wenger had bought Valencia to replace Ronaldo it would have won them the title
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by coogar: 4:29pm On Feb 21, 2012
ANGRY ARSENAL FANS DEMAND ANSWERS ON NO-SPEND.

The Arsenal Supporters’ Trust are demanding to know why Wenger did not dip into a £50m transfer kitty as they are facing a seventh season without a trophy.
The 3,000 strong AST group held a “passionate and concerned” meeting tonight and will put forward their findings to the club in another meeting at the Emirates on Wednesday.
Arsenal’s majority shareholder Stan Kroenke is also due to fly in this week for a board meeting on Thursday while under-pressure Wenger faces a crunch game against bitter rivals Spurs on Sunday.

Tim Payton, of the Arsenal Supporters’ Trust, said: “It was lively, passionate and concerned. Arsenal fans are not happy and they showed a lot of spirit.
“We will ask at the end of the season if Arsene Wenger is the right man for the job but during the season we will always back the manager and support the team. That is our philosophy and that will never change.

“But questions need to be asked. We had a summer profit of £50m on player trading, lots of money in the bank and figure out whether there was money to invest and where we might be going.
“Last year, there was a collapse on the four trophies then straight after there was a 6.5 per cent rise on top of the most expensive tickets in world football.

“A worry for next year for the fans is that next year they will be paying for Thursday night football rather than the Champions League they’ve been used to.
“We spend so much on wages. This year we’re going to spend 40 per cent more than Spurs, it’s £130m wage bill. Are we overpaying a lot of players that we then can’t move on. “Our business model has fallen behind. Our sponsorship is not up for renewal until 2014. We can’t compete for the very best players.”

The AST also believe ticket prices should be frozen as Arsenal face a battle to get into the Champions League next season.

“We’re going to feed into the club later in the week on ticket prices - Arsenal supporters not very happy when they went up 6.5 per cent - and we’re going to look at the club’s financial position,” said Payton.
“I think they will probably keep prices flat depending on what competition we are playing in next year, hopefully it will be the Champions League.”

But Payton also says Wenger deserves respect - but the fans also want to be sure the club is moving forward.
Payton added: “What we have to do is try to have the debate in a civilised way and respect everything he’s done for the club in the past.
“He’s been our greatest ever manager, made a terrific contribution to the club but clearly things are not going well.

“It’s the whole football set-up. Who on the board does the David Dein role? Who keeps Arsene Wenger fresh? Is he fresh and making the right decisions.
“It’s a very legitimate question that the Arsenal Supporters’ Trust asking: is Arsenal’s football set-up and Arsene Wenger still right for taking the club forward?
“It could be that going somewhere else would re-energise him [Wenger]. It could be that time for a change works both ways. He was a fantastic manager and is a fantastic manager.

“Arsene Wenger, Pat Rice, Boro Primorac have all been there since 1996 and surely that needs some freshening up.”

Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by debosky(m): 4:33pm On Feb 21, 2012
First question - did they both leave at the same time? No.

Second question - how reliant was Utd on the aforementioned players? Not as reliant as Arsenal were on Cesc and Nasri in one season. Utd could confidently win games if either was absent.

Did Utd’s starting line up have only 2 world class players and lose one of them? No.

Third question - did Utd have ample preparation for their departure? Yes - Nani, Valencia for Ronaldo for example. Berbatov cost £30m and was bought before Tevez left. Tevez’ goal haul has more than been replaced by Berbatov, not to mention Hernandez.

That Utd won titles is not in dispute - the fact is that Utd had a better squad to start with and always replaced their stars, even if not directly thereby keeping their overall squad quality level high.

Valencia did not replace Ronaldo’s output solely - Nani was already at the club understudying Ronaldo and obviously stepped up when he left. He wasn’t cheap either at £17m. Utd’s formation during Ronaldo’s time was optimised to get the best out of him. Once he left, the squad became more balanced and optimised to get excellent output from Rooney.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by coogar: 4:43pm On Feb 21, 2012
debosky:

tevez and ronaldo left in the same window. . . .just before the 09/10 season.
what have you been drinking?

Second question - how reliant was Utd on the aforementioned players? Not as reliant as Arsenal were on Cesc and Nasri in one season. Utd could confidently win games if either was absent.

ronaldo and tevez? the holy trinity components.
i can actually tell you tevez/ronaldo contributed more goals @ united than nasri/cesc ever did for arsenal.

Did Utd’s starting line up have only 2 world class players and lose one of them? No.

united lost the best player in the world in 08/09.
you cannot even dispute ronaldo's importance. many people including yourself felt that was the end of man utd as far as challenging for titles in england was concerned. you celebrated ronaldo's loss than van persie's recovery from his injury that season.

Third question - did Utd have ample preparation for their departure? Yes - Nani, Valencia for Ronaldo for example. Berbatov cost £30m and was bought before Tevez left. Tevez’ goal haul has more than been replaced by Berbatov, not to mention Hernandez.

nani was still fluffing his lines when ronaldo left. fergie had to tweak the team.
he bought valencia and programmed his head to always look for rooney and that's the tactical problem wenger is having. he still sets up arsenal like nasri and fabregas are still there, whereas the replacements are not good enough.

wenger should tweak that team and make the others work only for van persie(who's the only world class player left in the team).

That Utd won titles is not in dispute - the fact is that Utd had a better squad to start with and always replaced their stars, even if not directly thereby keeping their overall squad quality level high.

so valencia was a suitable replacement for ronaldo or fergie should be praised for taking the dive?
had valencia not worked out, wouldn't we be here stabbing fergie with a spear about his stupidity? who replaces a winger of £80m with £14m?

Valencia did not replace Ronaldo’s output solely - Nani was already at the club understudying Ronaldo and obviously stepped up when he left. He wasn’t cheap either at £17m. Utd’s formation during Ronaldo’s time was optimised to get the best out of him. Once he left, the squad became more balanced and optimised to get excellent output from Rooney.

nani wasn't spectacular after ronaldo left.
as a matter of fact, when fergie got valencia, united fans feared nani's days were over. cos the general perception was giggs/js park would take the left side of the pitch and valencia would take the right flank. nani looked suddenly lost until he had that meeting with fergie in december 09 and everything changed.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by dayokanu(m): 4:52pm On Feb 21, 2012
debosky:

You now know the answer.

2/3rds of the holy trinity left . Ronaldo was the major player in Man Utd . The team sold 2 of 3 world class players and still won the league

What was the ample preparation Man Utd had to replace the world Best Player.

Valencia a player from Wigan was bought to replace the world best player, That is a miracle on the proportions of using Aluwe to replace Denzel Washington yet Ferguson was able to pull it off

What was Nanis output before Ronaldo left, Why didnt Walcott who was already at the club and understudying replace Nasri or why didnt Ramsey who was already at the club and understidying replace Fabregas. Walcott wasnt cheap neither was Ramsey cheap
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by debosky(m): 5:01pm On Feb 21, 2012
dayokanu:

You now know the answer.

2/3rds of the holy trinity left . Ronaldo was the major player in Man Utd . The team sold 2 of 3 world class players and still won the league

One of the replacements cost £30m. Please identify one replacement at Arsenal for £30m. Granted they still won the league, but even Utd suffered a drop in performance with Ronaldo's exit.

What was the ample preparation Man Utd had to replace the world Best Player.

Keeping him a season longer while Nani was his understudy AND buying Valencia. In essence, two players attempted to replace his output, in addition to Rooney stepping up from helping Ronaldo to shining for himself.

Valencia a player from Wigan was bought to replace the world best player, That is a miracle on the proportions of using Aluwe to replace Denzel Washington yet Ferguson was able to pull it off

That he was a Wigan player does not mean he wasn't a good player.

What was Nanis output before Ronaldo left, Why didnt Walcott who was already at the club and understudying replace Nasri or why didnt Ramsey who was already at the club and understidying replace Fabregas. Walcott wasnt cheap neither was Ramsey cheap

Ramsey was out with a leg break for a year so it hardly counts. Walcott was a regular alongside Nasri in the same team so you can can't replace Nasri with Walcott.

In any case, Nasri and Cesc while present only got Arsenal to 4th and the same level in the CL. It is not surprising that the new side is struggling to maintain that level.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by dayokanu(m): 5:12pm On Feb 21, 2012
debosky:

One of the replacements cost £30m. Please identify one replacement at Arsenal for £30m. Granted they still won the league, but even Utd suffered a drop in performance with Ronaldo's exit.

A drop in performance but still won the league and got to the CL finals same thing they achieved in Ronaldos last season. So without the drop in form what would they have achieved.

Was berbatov not in the team with Ronaldo the same way 15m Arshavin was in the same team with Fabregas, The same way multi million Walcott/Ramsey was in the same team with Nasri

Keeping him a season longer while Nani was his understudy AND buying Valencia. In essence, two players attempted to replace his output, in addition to Rooney stepping up from helping Ronaldo to shining for himself.

Didnt Wenger also keep Cesc a season longer? wasnt ramsey his understudy? Didnt Wenger also buy Arteta 2 players to replace Cescs output? In addition to keeping Van persie, buying Gervinho, Keeping Arshavin

So why havent Wenger done any good with Arteta he bought from Everton, Gervinho from Lille, PM from Bremen, Benayoun from Chelsea etc?

Ramsey was out with a leg break for a year so it hardly counts. Walcott was a regular alongside Nasri in the same team so you can can't replace Nasri with Walcott.

Nani too was a sub so he hardly counts

In any case, Nasri and Cesc while present only got Arsenal to 4th and the same level in the CL. It is not surprising that the new side is struggling to maintain that level.

So why has Arsenal gone 7 seasons without a trophy?

When Fergie sells megastars like Stam, Beckham, Ruud, Ronaldo, Tevez regularly and still win trophies
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by coogar: 5:12pm On Feb 21, 2012
debosky:

that was the same berbatov whose butt-prints left indents on old trafford bench. how many games did the replacement start in 09/10?
even when rooney got injured later that season in munich, berbatov wasn't trusted to lead the line and rooney was rushed back.

in fact, it was michael owen that replaced tevez not berbatov. grin

but no one has tied wenger's hands not to buy players. the emirates is a 60,000 capacity stadium charging the highest matchday tickets in europe.
arsenal make £100m at the gates alone and that excludes food/drink. arsenal also sold big players. why did wenger fail to replace quality with quality?
is there an evil spirit that prevents arsenal from spending?

you cannot replace nasri with walcott but you can pay quacks over the average at the emirates.
i heard djourou got another 3-year contract after the show of shame he keeps showing. what sorta manager is wenger?
can a man be so intransigent and insensitive to the yearnings of his own fans?
would you give djourou another contract after what he has shown so far at the emirates?

you are a proper wenger apologist!
what about spending the money made on nasri/cesc judiciously and getting able replacements to push for the title.
chelsea and liverpool have been w@nk this season. this is the season arsenal could have really challenged for the title as some of their adversaries were far below average. yet again, wenger missed the opportunity.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by debosky(m): 5:51pm On Feb 21, 2012
dayokanu:

A drop in performance but still won the league and got to the CL finals same thing they achieved in Ronaldos last season. So without the drop in form what would they have achieved.

They lost ONE player and had a stronger squad than Arsenal even with the loss of Ronaldo. That is the problem - the inherent weakness of the squad Arsenal has had since the invincibles were disbanded.

Was berbatov not in the team with Ronaldo the same way 15m Arshavin was in the same team with Fabregas, The same way multi million Walcott/Ramsey was in the same team with Nasri

Berbatov had 3 seasons of 20+ hoals in the EPL - which of those Arsenal players had the same pedigree. In case your math is weak, 30.75m is over two times 15m for Arshavin.

Didnt Wenger also keep Cesc a season longer? wasnt ramsey his understudy? Didnt Wenger also buy Arteta 2 players to replace Cescs output? In addition to keeping Van persie, buying Gervinho, Keeping  Arshavin

How could Ramsey understudy Cesc with a broken leg? Even if he kept the players you mentioned, the squad with Cesc was still weak.

So why havent Wenger done any good with Arteta he bought from Everton, Gervinho from Lille, PM from Bremen, Benayoun from Chelsea etc?

He has done as well as last season at this stage, minus the CC final. That is all that has been achieved - some level of replacement but no improvement.

So why has Arsenal gone 7 seasons without a trophy?

Because of an inherently weaker squad than its main rivals caused by chronic underinvestment after the invincibles left. To be clear, Arsenal could have won a minor trophy if the club's focus had been to do that, but Arsenal has focused primarily on winning the big prizes and have come up short.
Re: Arsenal Fans Thread: Finally Reborn! The Red & White Army: FA CUP Champions 2020 by coogar: 6:48pm On Feb 21, 2012
debosky:

They lost ONE player and had a stronger squad than Arsenal even with the loss of Ronaldo. That is the problem - the inherent weakness of the squad Arsenal has had since the invincibles were disbanded.

should we blame natural hazard for that? tsunami tied wenger's hands behind him and prevented him from buying?

Berbatov had 3 seasons of 20+ hoals in the EPL - which of those Arsenal players had the same pedigree. In case your math is weak, 30.75m is over two times 15m for Arshavin.

that berbatov was bought for £30.75,m does not make him possess 8 limbs he can score with. he's the same as arshavin(2 legs and a football brain).
torres and andy caroll combined cost £85m. demba ba who was brought in for £0 has outscored the two of them put together.

How could Ramsey understudy Cesc with a broken leg? Even if he kept the players you mentioned, the squad with Cesc was still weak.

i agree but he could have sold cesc, buy a talented midfielder and change the way arsenal play.
arsenal's problem stems from playing like they still have cesc/nasri whereas they don't have that level of quality again.

He has done as well as last season at this stage, minus the CC final. That is all that has been achieved - some level of replacement but no improvement.

what about the fa cup loss at old trafford when fergie lined up 8 defenders to beat up a very strong arsenal team.
it was rafael and fabio as wingers on the night and you cannot argue arsenal did not have a better starting team that night.

Because of an inherently weaker squad than its main rivals caused by chronic underinvestment after the invincibles left. To be clear, Arsenal could have won a minor trophy if the club's focus had been to do that, but Arsenal has focused primarily on winning the big prizes and have come up short.

what is a minor trophy? what is the big prizes?
even when arsenal had the invincibles, they never won in europe - not in their history. . . .
which leaves one other title(the league title). na that one you dey call big prizes? grin cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) ... (3544) (Reply)

Fc Barcelona Fan Thread: "més Que Un Club" / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion / Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.