Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,119 members, 7,814,929 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:52 PM

Ojukwu (Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu) Is Dead - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ojukwu (Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu) Is Dead (58159 Views)

Photos Of National Funeral Ceremony Of Late Dim Chukwuemeka Odunmegwu Ojukwu / Video:body Of Late Chief Dim Chukwuemeka Ojukwu Arrivin Imo State With Rochas Ok / Biography Of Chief Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (32) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ojukwu (Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu) Is Dead by Torch1(m): 10:01am On Nov 26, 2011
Death is inevitable, but Is this true? Who confirm it?
Re: Ojukwu (Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu) Is Dead by andyanders: 10:01am On Nov 26, 2011
@namfav

For you to say that Ojokwu should rot in hell, you too will follow him any moment from now so that you will go and meet Ojokwu. B4 his burial, you will be waiting there for him since you dont have respect for the dead.
You think you cannot die? You will even be there b4 Ojukwu is buried.
Re: Ojukwu (Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu) Is Dead by sheyguy: 10:02am On Nov 26, 2011
manchy7531:

Former biafran leader and leader of the All Progressive Grand Alliance (APGA) Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu Ojukwu is dead.

Thisday can confirm that he died late last night. He had been sick for a while and was receiving treatment at a united Kingdom (UK) hospital.More to follow . . .

Ojukwu was born in Zungeru, Northern Nigeria in 1933. His father, Sir Louis Phillipe Odumegwu Ojukwu was a wealthy businessman who made money from the transport industry. Ojukwu was sent to the UK at the age of 13 to study, first at Epsom College and later at Lincoln College, Oxford University where he earned a Masters degree in History.

Upon his return in 1956, he joined the civil service in then Eastern Nigeria. He would later leave the service to join the military, where he was one of the few university graduates.

Ojukwu was appointed Military Governor of Eastern Nigeria by Military Head of State, General Aguiyi Ironsi on January 17, 1966. By May of the same year, Nigeria was facing a serious crisis. A planned pogrom in Northern Nigeria targeting and killing South-easterners presented a problem. He made several assurances to the South-easterners about their safety but the crisis continued.  In May 1967, he declared Eastern Nigeria a Sovereign State named Biafra.

In July, 1967, then Head of State Yakubu Gowon declared war on Biafra. A civil war ensued. The war raged on for another 30 months. An attempt at peace during a meeting at Aburi, Ghana did not stop the war. In 1970, Ojukwu handed over power to his deputy Major-General Phillip Effiong and left the country to avoid assassination. He was granted political asylum in Cote D'Ivoire by President Felix Houphöet-Biogny.

The civilian President of Shehu Shagari granted him an official pardon and he returned in 1982 after 13 years in exile. Ojukwu would later go into politics, forming the All Progressive Grand Alliance (APGA). He was an active member until his death.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/dim-odimegwu-ojukwu-is-dead/103680/#.TtCZzy-LlEg.facebook

@bolded: Was that one neccesary too?
Re: Ojukwu (Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu) Is Dead by 9ja4eva: 10:03am On Nov 26, 2011
RIP Ojukwu , The Sun Sets on you smiling where ever you are,

You will be greatly missed.
Re: Ojukwu (Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu) Is Dead by JamesDoe: 10:05am On Nov 26, 2011
He finally joins the millions that his actions and inactions caused.

His death should not be glorified because his actions after the war of dining with and plotting with those who committed genocide should not be forgotten.

By accepting a "pardon" and collaborating with the same b.ast.ards who committed atrocities, Lt Col Ojukwu (Rtd) has shown he abandoned his "people" in his later years.

People should weep for the dead, the injured, the starved, the children and innocents killed at Asaba, Onitsha and elsewhere but don't weep for a dead army man. He failed his mission.

RIP Mr Soldier, mission not accomplished!
Re: Ojukwu (Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu) Is Dead by Lordrama: 10:06am On Nov 26, 2011
Oh Emeka I am Waiting To See Your Body Here In Nnewi R.I.P  PAPA ORA
Re: Ojukwu (Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu) Is Dead by Soundmind(m): 10:09am On Nov 26, 2011
God!
Ikemba,
Eze Igbo Gburugburu
Dike eji eje mba
Jee nke oma

Ur death even though painful is not untimely.
If one fifth of Igbo people thought and think like u, Igbo land would have been more developed than Japan
Rest in Peace.
One day we will pass on too.
Sleep well daddy.
Re: Ojukwu (Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu) Is Dead by Torch1(m): 10:11am On Nov 26, 2011
Death is inevitable, but Is this true? Who confirm it?
Re: Ojukwu (Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu) Is Dead by Areosapien(f): 10:14am On Nov 26, 2011
R.I.P. Sir!!!
If the story's true, that is.
Re: Ojukwu (Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu) Is Dead by gascoign1(m): 10:16am On Nov 26, 2011
Your legacy lives, R I P  D lion of Africa
Re: Ojukwu (Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu) Is Dead by smile4kenn(m): 10:19am On Nov 26, 2011
I have never being in support of biafra due to the millions of innocent lives that died during the war. But I must say may your brave heart rest in peace Ojukwu.
Re: Ojukwu (Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu) Is Dead by namfav(m): 10:21am On Nov 26, 2011
i didn't like him when he was alive for the things he did, i am not going to his grave to spit on it, i dont disrespect the dead, he will have to answer for what he did. of course we all die, that is the beauty of life  grin the rest is memories
from him we came from to him we will return  

andyanders:

@namfav

For you to say that Ojokwu should rot in hell, you too will follow him any moment from now so that you will go and meet Ojokwu. B4 his burial, you will be waiting there for him since you dont have respect for the dead.
You think you cannot die? You will even be there b4 Ojukwu is buried.
Re: Ojukwu (Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu) Is Dead by Yorisb: 10:23am On Nov 26, 2011
Adieu Ikemba!
Re: Ojukwu (Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu) Is Dead by Nobody: 10:25am On Nov 26, 2011
Finally you've got your rest, Ikemba. As an imperfect mortal, you did your best within your abilities.
Re: Ojukwu (Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu) Is Dead by philips70(m): 10:31am On Nov 26, 2011
namfav:

i didn't like him when he was alive for the things he did, i am not going to his grave to spit on it, i dont disrespect the dead, he will have to answer for what he did. of course we all die, that is the beauty of life  grin the rest is memories

JamesDoe:

He finally joins the millions that his actions and inactions caused.

His death should not be glorified because his actions after the war of dining with and plotting with those who committed genocide should not be forgotten.

By accepting a "pardon" and collaborating with the same b.ast.ards who committed atrocities, Lt Col Ojukwu (Rtd) has shown he abandoned his "people" in his later years.

People should weep for the dead, the injured, the starved, the children and innocents killed at Asaba, Onitsha and elsewhere but don't weep for a dead army man. He failed his mission.

RIP Mr Soldier, mission not accomplished!
sheyguy:

was that really necesary? Abba!!!
Ruq:

Good Riddance. But your people will miss you.

Why the disconnection from reality? Very bad students of history. The pogrom and unmitigated arsons still happening in that deluded northern Nigeria till today is a vindication on the Ikemba's struggle. He too faced a lot of betrayals and disappointments from various people with personal and parochial interests.
Re: Ojukwu (Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu) Is Dead by jle(f): 10:33am On Nov 26, 2011
Rest in peace.
Re: Ojukwu (Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu) Is Dead by airmark(m): 10:34am On Nov 26, 2011
RIP, the lion of iboland.
Re: Ojukwu (Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu) Is Dead by redsquare(m): 10:34am On Nov 26, 2011
May your soul RIP. Adieu Ikemba. You were a brave man! You live in the heart of every true Igbo man. All your dreams and aspiration for the Igbo nation shall become reality someday. Odogwu nwoke, jee ije i nke oma.
Re: Ojukwu (Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu) Is Dead by brainpulse: 10:38am On Nov 26, 2011
You fought for the emancipation of your people
Generations now and unborn will leave to hear and appretiate your story

You are one of the few leaders

- R.I.P
Re: Ojukwu (Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu) Is Dead by Nobody: 10:39am On Nov 26, 2011
R.I.P sir -
He deserves being honoured someday -
Re: Ojukwu (Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu) Is Dead by ugosly(m): 10:41am On Nov 26, 2011
Hero in liife time,
Hero in death!!

Ikemba,
Your vision and struggle for Ndigbo is etched permanently in our hearts and minds, Oga emezu ngbe oge ya ruru.

Anyi bu umuigbo na ndi enyi igbo nine na asi gi ga nkeoma,Eze igbo gburugburu!!
Re: Ojukwu (Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu) Is Dead by Jakumo(m): 10:42am On Nov 26, 2011
Love him or loathe him, Oxford and Sandhurst graduate Odumegwu Ojukwu was a military officer of keen mind, great conviction and yes, outstanding bravery, for he knew not only when to fight and advance, but also when to retreat and cut losses.

Later days Ikemba sir.    May your children live long and bear your name with pride.
Re: Ojukwu (Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu) Is Dead by Nobody: 10:51am On Nov 26, 2011
This guy died a long time ago to join the devil in hellfire.why this ariwon na abi hin don commit suicide ni or dey eutanize the maga ?
Re: Ojukwu (Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu) Is Dead by babestella: 10:52am On Nov 26, 2011
@namfav and @executinal, @sheyguy

You all are big fooooooools, you probably cannot and will never live up to 1% of your dreams before you join him. Ojukwu struggled for what he believed, to liberate his people and you are hear on nairaland talking about what you don't even know, judging him as if you will go to heaven, shame on to you for talking badly about a man who is dead, if you are given an opportunity to step into his shoes, will you be able to achieve 0.0001% of this man's achievement.
Watch your mouth your northern fools, someday your northern idiotic brothers will have themselves to blame. You simply have exposed the kind of idiot you all are.

Idiot, stupid bandits that you all are.
Re: Ojukwu (Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu) Is Dead by GentleAL(m): 10:53am On Nov 26, 2011
May his soul find sweet rest in the bosom of his creator. AMENNNN
Re: Ojukwu (Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu) Is Dead by Nobody: 10:54am On Nov 26, 2011
~Bluetooth:

This guy died a long time ago to join the devil in hellfire.why this ariwon na abi hin don commit suicide ni or dey eutanize the maga ?
 thunder blast you and your family. may the souls of ur parents rot in hell
Re: Ojukwu (Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu) Is Dead by Nobody: 10:56am On Nov 26, 2011
Did he die of AIDS ?
Re: Ojukwu (Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu) Is Dead by sheyguy: 10:56am On Nov 26, 2011
philips70:

Why the disconnection from reality? Very bad students of history. The pogrom and unmitigated arsons still happening in that deluded northern Nigeria till today is a vindication on the Ikemba's struggle. He too faced a lot of betrayals and disappointments from various people with personal and parochial interests.

wetin i do you na?enh  Bros?
If u want to refer to history that made him your hero, why not state what lead to the pogroms and arson u mentioned there. By telling one part of history you could be jeopardising someone elses history u know.
I no really get your time 4 now, because your points and argument supporting them r very weak to me.
Re: Ojukwu (Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu) Is Dead by Nobody: 10:57am On Nov 26, 2011
RIP dude, ☹

Can't people just drop their condolences and leave. Soon a dirty fight will start here.
Re: Ojukwu (Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu) Is Dead by Nobody: 10:58am On Nov 26, 2011
namfav:

amadioha strike you and your family in their sleep. From the year1000 to the year 3000 nobody in ur lineage was ever or would be ever courageous, famous and respected like ojukwu. Bloody bastard.
Re: Ojukwu (Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu) Is Dead by Bisijohn: 10:59am On Nov 26, 2011
He was a courageous and visionary leader. He agitated for the freedom of his people. RIP Ikemba.
Re: Ojukwu (Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu) Is Dead by koolman: 10:59am On Nov 26, 2011
The Ikemba of Igboland.
Whether alive or dead,your dreams will come true someday.
Adeu the greatest Igbo man.The lover of his own people.
The man who died that others may live.I salute your courage.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (32) (Reply)

FG Employs Ocholi's Son, Gives Others Scholarship / Thousands Of Ambode Supporters Defy Party Leaders, Stage Political Rally On Ikor / FG Declares September 16 As National Identity day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.