Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,073 members, 7,814,713 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:06 PM

Ojukwu (Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu) Is Dead - Politics (32) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ojukwu (Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu) Is Dead (58156 Views)

Photos Of National Funeral Ceremony Of Late Dim Chukwuemeka Odunmegwu Ojukwu / Video:body Of Late Chief Dim Chukwuemeka Ojukwu Arrivin Imo State With Rochas Ok / Biography Of Chief Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ojukwu (Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu) Is Dead by ono(m): 10:17pm On Dec 04, 2011
^^^ You sure aren't from this shores then. . .

I'm not Igbo. . . . sorry, I can't answer your question. Let someone of the Igbo extraction do that. . . . .in a minute.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RIP Ojukwu.
Re: Ojukwu (Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu) Is Dead by Onlytruth(m): 11:23pm On Dec 04, 2011
Pifa:

I am sorry to see this man go. Everything I know about him is from history books on Nigeria and scholarly articles about the Nigerian civil war. He might still be alive today, if Nigeria had a hospital that could adequately deal with the cerebro-vascular condition that contributed to the decline of his health. Who knows what damage he might have sustained to his organs, when they had to fly him for over four hours to the UK for treatment?

RIP.

Question for you guys:

1) What does Ikemba mean?
2) What does "Dim" translate to in English? Is it a title?

"Ikemba" is standard Igbo which literally translates to "the power or might or strength of a nation". However, being a title given to him by the Igwe of Nnewi (Igwe Orizu III), it means much more than that literal definition. If I attempt to define it, I would say it translates to "the mystical power by which a nation defends itself or fights a war".

For you to understand the title of "Dim", you have to understand Nnewi culture, but it translates roughly to "a tested warrior". It is an "ozo" title. Nnewi is made up of 4 parts : Otolo, Uruagu, Umudim and Nnewi-ichi ( in order of seniority, each of which is big enough to be town of its own). Ojukwu is from Umudim.

You find that same title bearing different names in different Nnewi quarters.
In Otolo it is "Dala";  in Uruagu and Nnewi-ichi, I believe it is "Dunu"; in Umudim, it is "Dim".
Only FEW warriors are given that class of title. I believe Ojukwu is the only Dim I know in Nnewi. It is not a title you can buy with money. Elaborate rituals are performed before the title is conferred. 
Though I am from Otolo, I am not old enough to know more, lol  grin

I have not seen anyone bearing the title of "Dala" (Otolo) or "Dunu" (Uruagu, Nnewi-ichi) either. So, in essence, Ojukwu was the only one in Nnewi with that class of title.

I would wait till older Nnewi folks show up to correct me.  grin  cool
Re: Ojukwu (Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu) Is Dead by Pifa: 2:05am On Dec 05, 2011
@Onlytruth,

Thanks for taking the time to explain in detail Mr. Ojukwu’s titles. I now have a better understanding of what “Ikemba” and “Dim” mean.

Thanks again.
Re: Ojukwu (Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu) Is Dead by otitisteve: 12:45pm On Dec 05, 2011
rest in peace , such a great man ,
Re: Ojukwu (Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu) Is Dead by ak47mann(m): 6:30pm On Dec 05, 2011
THE MAKER OF HISTORY. cool cool cool
Re: Ojukwu (Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu) Is Dead by ono(m): 7:11am On Dec 06, 2011
Onlytruth:

"Ikemba" is standard Igbo which literally translates to "the power or might or strength of a nation". However, being a title given to him by the Igwe of Nnewi (Igwe Orizu III), it means much more than that literal definition. If I attempt to define it, I would say it translates to "the mystical power by which a nation defends itself or fights a war".

For you to understand the title of "Dim", you have to understand Nnewi culture, but it translates roughly to "a tested warrior". It is an "ozo" title. Nnewi is made up of 4 parts : Otolo, Uruagu, Umudim and Nnewi-ichi ( in order of seniority, each of which is big enough to be town of its own). Ojukwu is from Umudim.

You find that same title bearing different names in different Nnewi quarters.
In Otolo it is "Dala";  in Uruagu and Nnewi-ichi, I believe it is "Dunu"; in Umudim, it is "Dim".
Only FEW warriors are given that class of title. I believe Ojukwu is the only Dim I know in Nnewi. It is not a title you can buy with money. Elaborate rituals are performed before the title is conferred. 
Though I am from Otolo, I am not old enough to know more, lol  grin

I have not seen anyone bearing the title of "Dala" (Otolo) or "Dunu" (Uruagu, Nnewi-ichi) either. So, in essence, Ojukwu was the only one in Nnewi with that class of title.

I would wait till older Nnewi folks show up to correct me.  grin  cool

Thank you and well done. I have learnt something new about the Igbos again.
Re: Ojukwu (Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu) Is Dead by noiseless: 12:48pm On Dec 17, 2011
May those that misunderstood you, one day learn. Sleep well the selfless one. cry cry
Re: Ojukwu (Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu) Is Dead by kingneo: 2:49am On Feb 01, 2012
go to www.neogenerationnigeria.org to make ur voice count, its time for the new generation to take control of their future/ listen to live naija music
Re: Ojukwu (Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu) Is Dead by Ebukapaul1(m): 6:40pm On Apr 24, 2012
HTC IS GOOD, I USE GPS ON IT AND I LIKE IT SO MUCH.......IF U NEED ANY APPls ON UR HTC LET ME KNOW......LIKE RUNING JAVA ON IT LIKE 2GO .......AND I CAN TEACH U HW 2 USE GPS 2 VIEW EVERY WERE IN DIS WORLD.....

Re: Ojukwu (Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu) Is Dead by omonnakoda: 8:10pm On Sep 15, 2013
was he aware of FFK ? Is that why he committed suicide
Re: Ojukwu (Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu) Is Dead by geeez: 8:14pm On Sep 15, 2013
omonnakoda: was he aware of FFK ? Is that why he committed suicide

Did he have the liver to take his own life after dressing up like a woman and fleeing in the face of death?
Re: Ojukwu (Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu) Is Dead by lepasharon(f): 9:00am On Dec 26, 2013
did jonathan really sleep with bianca? ?
Re: Ojukwu (Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu) Is Dead by Nobody: 12:47pm On May 17, 2015
namfav:
the heroes

Heroes now crying Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (Reply)

Sule Lamido: Peter Obi, Doyin Okupe Are Alive To Attest To What I Told Them / Stop Adding To Our Problems, Give Us A Little Respect - Soldier Warns Nigerians / FG Employs Ocholi's Son, Gives Others Scholarship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.