Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,229 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:08 AM

Crackdown On Okada Riders, Over 200 Arrested In Lagos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Crackdown On Okada Riders, Over 200 Arrested In Lagos (8602 Views)

Shiites: Iran Calls Nigeria To Stop Crackdown On Group / Fayose Riding On "Okada" To Inaugurate The New House Of Assembly [Photo] / Gridlock In Lagos As Tricycle, Okada Riders Endorse Jonathan 0 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Crackdown On Okada Riders, Over 200 Arrested In Lagos by jidsoon(m): 4:45pm On Nov 29, 2011
Massive Crackdown On Okada Riders; Over 200 Arrested In Lagos; More Roads Banned

The Lagos State Government has begun a massive clampdown on commercial motorcyclists, a.k.a. Okada riders with the arrest of over 200 yesterday.
The government, after due consultation with the relevant Okada riders’ associations gave the riders a period of grace which expired by midnight on Sunday. The clampdown began yesterday in all the affected zones.

CAUGHT IN THE ACT… A commercial motorcycle (Okada) operator arrested for driving against traffic on Mile 2 - Badagry road by the enforcement team of the Governor of Lagos State, recently
The clampdown is coming on the heels of orders by Governor Babatunde Raji Fashola to the state Commissioner for Transportation, Mr. Kayode Opeifa, to ensure that Okada riders obey the traffic laws of the state.
Opeifa declared last Thursday that ”government can no longer watch and allow Okada riders break the laws of the state with impunity.”
In the new regulations guiding the operations of okada riders in the state, Okada riders are not allowed to operate without a valid rider’s licence; a standard crash helmet with full head protection; carry more than one passenger; carry pregnant women, school children and load and drive against traffic. They have also been banned from operating beyond 10 p.m. in all parts of the state except Victoria Island and Ikoyi, Ikeja GRA where they were restricted from operating beyond 8 p.m.
Okada riders have also been banned from plying the expressway, bridges, Awolowo Way, Bank Anthony Way and some other roads in the Lagos metropolis.  The police, officials of the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority, LASTMA and other security agencies have been directed to arrest any Okada operator found to have violated the law.
General Manager, LASTMA, Engineer Babatunde Edu confirmed that aggressive enforcement of the law had begun and that over 200 Okada riders had been arrested so far.
He lamented that several criminal activities were being perpetrated through the use of Okada by men of the underworld.
Governor Fashola, who was bitter about the menace posed by Okada riders, vowed that the enforcement would be total. To show his seriousness, he personally led a team of officials to arrest five Okada riders who drove against the traffic in Apapa area of the state last week.  Fashola disclosed that a new policy was in the offing to deal decisively with the problems posed by Okada riders.
“As I have said to all those who cared to listen, if Okada is a problem to you, stop using it; because it is a business and if you don’t patronize it, it will leave you alone,” he stated.
The governor arrested more Okada riders driving against the traffic on Sunday in Badagry during his tour of ongoing projects in the state.
“You will see my next line of action in the fullness of time, but I think ultimately Lagosians must decide whether or not they want Okada.
“In the meantime, they have to comply with our rules and if they don’t, they will have the law enforcement agencies to contend with. We will not allow this incessant and sheer disregard for our laws, those who cannot comply should leave our state.”
Rising from the state Security Council meeting last week, the Deputy Commissioner of Police (Operations), Mr. Tunde Sobulo disclosed that a new policy on commercial motorcycle is on the way to deal with errant riders who still disobey government rules and regulations on the operation of commercial motorcycles (Okada) on the state’s roads.
According to him, “Okada riders are still giving us problems. They are still riding against the traffic and carrying two to three passengers and without helmet. Majority of the culprits are those that are not members of the motorcyclists’ unions. There is nothing to identify them with. But I believe there is going to be a policy soon and when it is out we will know how to deal with them.”

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2011/11/29/massive-crackdown-on-okada-riders-over-200-arrested-in-lagos-more-roads-banned-for-riders/
Re: Crackdown On Okada Riders, Over 200 Arrested In Lagos by otokx(m): 5:08pm On Nov 29, 2011
Some of these okada people behave like something is loose in their brains.
Re: Crackdown On Okada Riders, Over 200 Arrested In Lagos by Nobody: 5:12pm On Nov 29, 2011
A very welcome development. go fash
Re: Crackdown On Okada Riders, Over 200 Arrested In Lagos by Afam4eva(m): 5:23pm On Nov 29, 2011
Even though taking an Okada is a very fast way of getting to one's destination. I think it should be banned. Those guys throw caution to the wind whenever they handle a bike. Especially the Aboki ones who ride as if they don't have scruples.
Re: Crackdown On Okada Riders, Over 200 Arrested In Lagos by eghost247(m): 5:35pm On Nov 29, 2011
Eko oni Baje
Re: Crackdown On Okada Riders, Over 200 Arrested In Lagos by jmaine: 5:36pm On Nov 29, 2011
Good move . . .Can they sustain this correct drive . . .
Re: Crackdown On Okada Riders, Over 200 Arrested In Lagos by babaowo: 5:40pm On Nov 29, 2011
good 1,brake law and go to jail from jail to your state chikena.
Re: Crackdown On Okada Riders, Over 200 Arrested In Lagos by maxtum(m): 5:40pm On Nov 29, 2011
I talk am!!! esp, those Boko Haram around Marina,V.i Ikoyi, Lagos lsland, environ! cuz of those boko mharam, i go karate school!

even go learn dangerous language join, they can make a Pope curse!!

i think,  there should be a programme on air everyday showing how many okader riders don carry people go igbobi, luth, general hospital and even hell, we go run from okada!

i subscribe to keke riding  grin!

Chikena!
Re: Crackdown On Okada Riders, Over 200 Arrested In Lagos by Baawaa(m): 5:40pm On Nov 29, 2011
Police self dey ride okada
Re: Crackdown On Okada Riders, Over 200 Arrested In Lagos by jennyb2: 5:44pm On Nov 29, 2011
wrong or right direction?
Re: Crackdown On Okada Riders, Over 200 Arrested In Lagos by babaowo: 5:46pm On Nov 29, 2011
with police whoever involve,all of them will end in jail,cos they use okada for robbery than car nowadays.
Re: Crackdown On Okada Riders, Over 200 Arrested In Lagos by Pukkah: 5:54pm On Nov 29, 2011
afam4eva:

Even though taking an Okada is a very fast way of getting to one's destination. I think it should be banned. Those guys throw caution to the wind whenever they handle a bike. Especially the Aboki ones who ride as if they don't have scruples.

Honestly, they have no scruples.  They are mad and insane.

otokx:

Some of these okada people behave like something is loose in their brains.

Frankly, most of them have no brains.

In fact, it is as if they are permanently intoxicated from 'ogogoro' or cannabis. They drive on every part of the road - right, left, and centre; they drive in all directions - backwards and forwards.  While meandering through human and vehicular traffic like snakes, they hit both humans and cars, leaving behind shrieks and wails from humans & dents and scratches on cars.

They are audacious, carefree and careless.  They are callous and reckless. They congregate at junctions and congregate to beat up and manhandle other motorists. They break traffic laws with impunity and zoom off without pausing at pedestrian crossings or traffic lights. Ah, 'okada' riders are a menace!

I must say, in the order of recklessness on Lagos roads, 'okada' riders take the numero uno position, followed by commercial bus drivers.

I suggest that in order to balance safety/responsibility with the need to move around, 'okadas' should be banished from major roads and expressways to the hinterlands or Trunk C roads only.

1 Like

Re: Crackdown On Okada Riders, Over 200 Arrested In Lagos by sugardaddy1(m): 5:56pm On Nov 29, 2011
A very bold step indeed, this will reduce armed robbery to a great extent.
Re: Crackdown On Okada Riders, Over 200 Arrested In Lagos by omosexy1: 6:19pm On Nov 29, 2011
please ban all okada they just bashed my car (sobbing)
Re: Crackdown On Okada Riders, Over 200 Arrested In Lagos by lepasharon(f): 6:21pm On Nov 29, 2011
but okada is very fast and cheap nah undecided
Re: Crackdown On Okada Riders, Over 200 Arrested In Lagos by Afam4eva(m): 6:25pm On Nov 29, 2011
lepasharon:

It's also a fast and cheap way to get to hell. It's a good investment if you ask me.
Re: Crackdown On Okada Riders, Over 200 Arrested In Lagos by Pukkah: 6:30pm On Nov 29, 2011
lepasharon:

It is fast and furious, cheap and deadly.
Re: Crackdown On Okada Riders, Over 200 Arrested In Lagos by okadaman2: 6:31pm On Nov 29, 2011
What the hell is going on here?   angry
Re: Crackdown On Okada Riders, Over 200 Arrested In Lagos by Afam4eva(m): 6:31pm On Nov 29, 2011
okada_man:

We're putting you and your likes out of business.
Re: Crackdown On Okada Riders, Over 200 Arrested In Lagos by lepasharon(f): 6:32pm On Nov 29, 2011
okada_man:

LOOL grin grin
Re: Crackdown On Okada Riders, Over 200 Arrested In Lagos by maxtum(m): 6:33pm On Nov 29, 2011
okada_man:

we are Banning you!!! tongue
Re: Crackdown On Okada Riders, Over 200 Arrested In Lagos by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 6:33pm On Nov 29, 2011
to think that the same Fashola used them to get elected -figures grin grin grin
Re: Crackdown On Okada Riders, Over 200 Arrested In Lagos by HyeBits: 6:42pm On Nov 29, 2011
Okada man, you are BANNED!
Re: Crackdown On Okada Riders, Over 200 Arrested In Lagos by Dsage1: 6:56pm On Nov 29, 2011
To b sincere,taking okada here is a risk especially Aboki riders,dis is wat i've been expectng from Fasola.Dey shud b even ban completely.
Re: Crackdown On Okada Riders, Over 200 Arrested In Lagos by horny4u(f): 7:00pm On Nov 29, 2011
lagerwhenindoubt:

to think that the same Fashola used them to get elected -figures grin grin grin

You have no proof ! and if you donot see why a Govt shld stop Okada driving against the traffic then you must agree with me that the phrase common sense is untrue as it is not common at all.

Smh

Fasho baba !!!!
Re: Crackdown On Okada Riders, Over 200 Arrested In Lagos by atasteve: 7:14pm On Nov 29, 2011
BRF well done, pls follow this to a logical conclusion.
Re: Crackdown On Okada Riders, Over 200 Arrested In Lagos by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 7:23pm On Nov 29, 2011
horny4u:

You have no proof ! and if you donot see why a Govt shld stop Okada driving against the traffic then you must agree with me that the phrase common sense is untrue as it is not common at all.

Smh

Fasho baba !!!!

You hash ooh - now who said anything about supporting riding on a one-way street just commenting outside the topic dear
Re: Crackdown On Okada Riders, Over 200 Arrested In Lagos by Nobody: 7:25pm On Nov 29, 2011
This is long overdue.
Re: Crackdown On Okada Riders, Over 200 Arrested In Lagos by jason123: 7:33pm On Nov 29, 2011
okada_man:

afam4eva:

Lol. grin grin grin grin grin
Okada_man no vex o! cheesy
Re: Crackdown On Okada Riders, Over 200 Arrested In Lagos by Nobody: 7:40pm On Nov 29, 2011
jason123:

Lol. grin grin grin grin grin
Okada_man no vex o! cheesy
Time for him to go into pure water business. grin
Re: Crackdown On Okada Riders, Over 200 Arrested In Lagos by jason123: 7:45pm On Nov 29, 2011
~Bluetooth:

grin grin grin

Okada_man, na just jokes o! No hard feelings cool.
Re: Crackdown On Okada Riders, Over 200 Arrested In Lagos by okadaman2: 8:04pm On Nov 29, 2011
afam4eva:

maxtum:

we are Banning you!!! tongue

~Bluetooth:

Foolish car drivers, I dey wait for all of una at the junction. Nansense people angry

Jason, my regular customer, no mind them o, they need me die grin

That one called blueyansh , I still dropped his galfriend for their house yesterday night embarassed

(1) (2) (Reply)

EFCC Grants Reuben Abati Bail - See Conditions Attached / Nigerians Speak In Unity With #NaijaMeansUnity / Turkish Diplomat Mourns Nnamdi Kanu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.