Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,976 members, 7,952,927 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 07:34 AM

Subsidy To Wait For Now –okonjo-iweala - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Subsidy To Wait For Now –okonjo-iweala (13995 Views)

New Petrol Price: A Shift From Subsidy To Profit Making / FG Ends Kerosene Subsidy, To Sell For N83 Per Litre / Fuel Subsidy To Go Next Year. FG To Sell Petrol At 97 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Subsidy To Wait For Now –okonjo-iweala by aljharem3: 12:53am On Dec 16, 2011
so df2006 = dmainboss cool
Re: Subsidy To Wait For Now –okonjo-iweala by dmainboss: 12:53am On Dec 16, 2011
The real issue for me here is how we should go about the fuel subsidy problem. I am a strong advocate for the removal of fuel subsidy. Why? I am in the private sector and I hate government handouts. Secondly, I understand, from the principles of economics, that there is nothing like free money. Money used for subsidy is money that is supposed to serve other very important purposes. Thirdly, the world economies are shaking right now. Europe is on the brink. If Nigeria does not curtail some of these excesses, then we will meet real trouble ahead.

There are several arguments I have heard that I will like to question.
1. If GEJ's motivation is corruption, then why doesnt he just connive with the oil importers? Why go thru the long route?
2. They say Nigeria can sustain subsidy. But have you seen the Nigerian budget? Imagine we are still doing around 20 to 30 billion dollars in a country of around 200 million people? Nigerian earnings are far too small to sustain Nigeria. That is the rel truth. The president has a massive task to turn Nigeria around. Even our oil earnings is not really adequate not to talk of using it to subsidize petroleum. The US with all its development on the ground is still doing a budget of about $1.344 trillion with 350 million citizens. We need massive infrastructure. We need major major turn around in agriculture, mining, technology and human capital development. These will not come cheap.
Re: Subsidy To Wait For Now –okonjo-iweala by aljharem3: 1:01am On Dec 16, 2011
dmainboss:

The real issue for me here is how we should go about the fuel subsidy problem. I am a strong advocate for the removal of fuel subsidy. Why? I am in the private sector and I hate government handouts. Secondly, I understand, from the principles of economics, that there is nothing like free money. Money used for subsidy is money that is supposed to serve other very important purposes. Thirdly, the world economies are shaking right now. Europe is on the brink. If Nigeria does not curtail some of these excesses, then we will meet real trouble ahead.

Sorry nwanne but I can see that you are one of those dispora politician

TWO simple question for you and please answer it to the best of your knowledge

What is subsidy, Does it exist ? If yes, then what lead the country to be paying subsidy ? No refinery thus importation of oil right ? If so then why not build refineries
Or how are you people thinking ?

WHAT IS ON GROUND TO SUGGEST THAT MONEY GENERATED FROM SUBSIDY WOULD BE USED FOR THOSE OTHER THINGS YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT ?

I really hope this is not the way the FG is thinking.
Re: Subsidy To Wait For Now –okonjo-iweala by emmatok(m): 1:02am On Dec 16, 2011
dmainboss:

I come here trying to discuss with forward thinking Nigerians and all I see are idio.tic rascals posing as progressives (whatever that means these days). If you guys actually passed your exams in school and didn't use shukuli, then you would have tried to dissect the issues and discuss intelligently. But alas, you cannot, because you went to school with free education but no books and chairs to sit on. Lets break down the issues and lets see how much you know. Lets take away the insults and lets test your brains and see if you really passed your exams or you used expo!

You messed up when you introduced tribe to the discussion, next time stick to the issue.

FROM dmainboss

It is now very obvious that those criticizing GEJ here on NL are partisan,  tribal bigots and absolute morons. You have been screaming the man should not remove subsidy, now he says, OK let me consult and see how we can go around it, then you come back to NL and scream he should remove it or he has backed down because he is clueless.

Of course I am not surprised because it is obvious those of you posting here are ACN and CPC members. You do not love Nigeria or seek its good. You are just Yoruba and (some) northern tribal bigots who are not happy GEJ is president just because he is from a minority. From your posts, it is obvious you have no clue what you are talking about but it doesn't matter really because now we know where you stand.

It is a pity though because it will come back and bite you in the behind soon. Obviously, there is nothing you can do about GEJ's presidency because he will go down in history as the best president ever and the man that changed Nigeria forever. You can keep hating till you get ulcer but it wont change a thing.
Re: Subsidy To Wait For Now –okonjo-iweala by aljharem3: 1:03am On Dec 16, 2011
emmatok:

You messed up when you introduced tribe to the discussion, next time stick to the issue.

FROM dmainboss

It is now very obvious that those criticizing GEJ here on NL are partisan,  tribal bigots and absolute morons. You have been screaming the man should not remove subsidy, now he says, OK let me consult and see how we can go around it, then you come back to NL and scream he should remove it or he has backed down because he is clueless.

Of course I am not surprised because it is obvious those of you posting here are ACN and CPC members. You do not love Nigeria or seek its good. You are just Yoruba and (some) northern tribal bigots who are not happy GEJ is president just because he is from a minority. From your posts, it is obvious you have no clue what you are talking about but it doesn't matter really because now we know where you stand.

It is a pity though because it will come back and bite you in the behind soon. Obviously, there is nothing you can do about GEJ's presidency because he will go down in history as the best president ever and the man that changed Nigeria forever. You can keep hating till you get ulcer but it wont change a thing.

+ 10

thank you
Re: Subsidy To Wait For Now –okonjo-iweala by Nobody: 1:04am On Dec 16, 2011
jason123:

Lets think, mathematically speaking:

If I pick a stance (A) on an issue but I have been proved wrong by another person's stance (B). Will I still be objective if I stick to "A"??
This is called decision maths!

Bruv, where did you school?? Are you sensible at all?

countless nos of times you have been proved wrong here on NL, some have even taken their time to educate you, but you still come here to spew forth rubbish, notice i say, you are unstable? we don't argue for argument sake, it is to learn, beaf having brought out an article to prove to you that goodluck was a substantial effort in the amnesty process, you will still come tmoro and argue that he did nothing, dude grow up.
Re: Subsidy To Wait For Now –okonjo-iweala by JamesDoe: 1:05am On Dec 16, 2011
PDP a party of rogues.

Gowon, Shagari, IBB, OBJ are all PDP members, so anyone claiming that the cabal in PDP has not been in power for decades is lying through his teeth. The chap before GEJ was "s"elected because his brother wa OBJ's deputy in the 70s.

It is not enough that you must steal from us and cheat us, but must you also lie!
Re: Subsidy To Wait For Now –okonjo-iweala by jason123: 1:05am On Dec 16, 2011
dmainboss:

In an ideal society, YES. In Nigeria, no way. Knowing my country, that money will NOT be used for development. You see, Nigeria is a VERY corrupt country where common sense is turned upside-down. The question is, if the private investor hates handouts, what has that got to do with subsidy removal? As the private sector, whether the government gives you money or not, you'll still get your profits; especially when the economy is dependent on your product. What is stopping you from moving it from  N150/Litre to N500/litre?? Is its not your money? The government cannot oppose you because they (NNPC), apart from being the epitome of corruption, can't cater for the needs of Nigerians.

Secondly, what is stopping the construction of more refineries and reservoirs? Will this not create more jobs?

1. If GEJ's motivation is corruption, then why doesnt he just connive with the oil importers? Why go thru the long route?
2. They say Nigeria can sustain subsidy. But have you seen the Nigerian budget? Imagine we are still doing around 20 to 30 billion dollars in a country of around 200 million people? Nigerian earnings are far too small to sustain Nigeria. That is the rel truth. The president has a massive task to turn Nigeria around. Even our oil earnings is not really adequate not to talk of using it to subsidize petroleum. The US with all its development on the ground is still doing a budget of about $1.344 trillion with 350 million citizens. We need massive infrastructure. We need major major turn around in agriculture, mining, technology and human capital development. These will not come cheap.

1. What has oil importer got to do with GEJ? After all, they are the private investors. It is their money/investment they are putting in line.

2. Agreed. How can he turn the country around? By hyper-inflation ? What happened to the building of more refineries? Create Jobs? GEJ is trying in other sectors, especially agriculture but not good enough in the oil sector, sorry.
Re: Subsidy To Wait For Now –okonjo-iweala by emmatok(m): 1:09am On Dec 16, 2011
df2006:

countless nos of times you have been proved wrong here, some have even taken their time to educate you, but you still come here to spew forth rubbish, notice i say, you are unstable? we don't argue for argument sake, it is to learn, beaf having brought out an article to prove to you that goodluck was a substantial effort in the amnesty process, you will still come tmoro and argue that he did nothing, dude grow up.

Sorry for your Information Yaradua gets full credit for the amnesty process and not GEJ.

Or will you give[b] Sambo[/b] credit for negotiating with BOKO-HARAM, if it dies down tomorrow?NO.
Re: Subsidy To Wait For Now –okonjo-iweala by jason123: 1:11am On Dec 16, 2011
df2006:

countless nos of times you have been proved wrong here, some have even taken their time to educate you, but you still come here to spew forth rubbish, notice i say, you are unstable? we don't argue for argument sake, it is to learn, beaf having brought out an article to prove to you that goodluck was a substantial effort in the amnesty process, you will still come tmoro and argue that he did nothing, dude grow up.

Yes and that is why I gladly asked him to educate me which he did. You must have been blind if you didn't see it. You need the growing up because you lack sense to realize that during debates, likes of you run away. You need to be a man, not a coward! A man admits his mistakes. A man proves his case. That I have done. What have you done? Criticize others to hide your own insecurities! What a waste! grin
Re: Subsidy To Wait For Now –okonjo-iweala by Nobody: 1:15am On Dec 16, 2011
emmatok:

Sorry for your Information Yaradua gets full credit for the amnesty process and not GEJ.

Or will you give[b] Sambo[/b] credit for negotiating with BOKO-HARAM, if it die down tomorrow?NO.

if sambo ever grow the balls to go to the den of boko haram, to negotiate peace he would have substantially contributed to the effort like i said concerning jonathan.
Re: Subsidy To Wait For Now –okonjo-iweala by jason123: 1:15am On Dec 16, 2011
emmatok:

Or will you give[b] Sambo[/b] credit for negotiating with BOKO-HARAM, if it die down tomorrow?NO.
I know people like them.
They(df2006) hide under other's comment so they can be seen as someone important but in reality, he is probably knows nothing. Lonely because he is not original and therefore criticizes every thing people say or do. I am sure his girl has had enough of him. Nothing to offer the world. Waste man grin. Born throway!
Re: Subsidy To Wait For Now –okonjo-iweala by dmainboss: 1:17am On Dec 16, 2011
jason123:

In an ideal society, YES. In Nigeria, no way. Knowing my country, that money will NOT be used for development. You see, Nigeria is a VERY corrupt country where common sense is turned upside-down. The question is, if the private investor hates handouts, what has that got to do with subsidy removal? As the private sector, whether the government gives you money or not, you'll still get your profits; especially when the economy is dependent on your product. What is stopping you from moving it from  N150/Litre to N500/litre?? Is its not your money? The government cannot oppose you because they (NNPC), apart from being the epitome of corruption, can't cater for the needs of Nigerians.

Secondly, what is stopping the construction of more refineries and reservoirs? Will this not create more jobs?

1. What has oil importer got to do with GEJ? After all, they are the private investors. It is their money/investment they are putting in line.

2. Agreed. How can he turn the country around? By hyper-inflation ? What happened to the building of more refineries? Create Jobs? GEJ is trying in other sectors, especially agriculture but not good enough in the oil sector, sorry.

You seemed to have missed my point a bit.

There is nothing like fringe money in society. Money is neither created nor destroyed but simply passes from one man to the other. The fuel subsidy money is not free money.
Secondly, the government cannot construct more refineries for obvious reasons. Nigeria situation has made it very difficult for government business to flourish and sustain. That why we have to privatize. Secondly, the massive financial commitment needed for these refineries is not something the government can afford right now. I just pointed out to you how grossly inadequate our budget is for 200 million people. That is why we are still talking of 18, 00 (around $120) as monthly minimum wage. But then, you cannot privatize except there is garantee that the private companies will make some profit. No one will invest money without making profit. So the kee is deragulation and allowing market forces of demand and supply to drive competition and determine prices. Government cannot build more refineries. It could have been easier 20 years ago, but now, there is too much to attend to and the population is fast increasing
Re: Subsidy To Wait For Now –okonjo-iweala by Nobody: 1:18am On Dec 16, 2011
jason123:

Yes and that is why I gladly asked him to educate me which he did. You must have been blind if you didn't see it. You need the growing up because you lack sense to realize that during debates, likes of you run away. You need to be a man, not a coward! A man admits his mistakes. A man proves his case. That I have done. What have you done? Criticize others to hide your own insecurities! What a waste! grin

commot for my front
Re: Subsidy To Wait For Now –okonjo-iweala by dmainboss: 1:19am On Dec 16, 2011

And you obviously didnt get the questions I put forward. Please review and give me an answer.
Re: Subsidy To Wait For Now –okonjo-iweala by emmatok(m): 1:20am On Dec 16, 2011
df2006:

if sambo ever grow the balls to go to the den of boko haram, to negotiate peace he would have substantially contributed to the effort like i said concerning jonathan.

And who told you Sambo is not Negotiating Peace.

How did GEJ solved militancy when he was Bayelsa State governor with all his executive powers.
Re: Subsidy To Wait For Now –okonjo-iweala by Nobody: 1:25am On Dec 16, 2011
^^^^^ my brother nothing concern me with sambo, scroll above and find out one of Gej 's contributions in quelling the violence in the ND, i no fit shout.
Re: Subsidy To Wait For Now –okonjo-iweala by jason123: 1:28am On Dec 16, 2011
dmainboss:

You seemed to have missed my point a bit.

There is nothing like fringe money in society. Money is neither created nor destroyed but simply passes from one man to the other. The fuel subsidy money is not free money.
Secondly, the government cannot construct more refineries for obvious reasons. Nigeria situation has made it very difficult for government business to flourish and sustain. That why we have to privatize. Secondly, the massive financial commitment needed for these refineries is not something the government can afford right now. I just pointed out to you how grossly inadequate our budget is for 200 million people. That is why we are still talking of 18, 00 (around $120) as monthly minimum wage. But then, you cannot privatize except there is garantee that the private companies will make some profit. No one will invest money without making profit. So the kee is deragulation and allowing market forces of demand and supply to drive competition and determine prices. Government cannot build more refineries. It could have been easier 20 years ago, but now, there is too much to attend to and the population is fast increasing

My view is that we have a cabal, what is stopping them from controlling the prices?? Nigeria is dependent on oil. Will that not be too much power given to them? What is stopping them from forming a body to protect their interest (like OPEC)? I sincerely think that the law of demand and supply will not work in this sector.
Our POVs are very different. I am looking at it in terms of the masses, you are looking at it in terms of the overall economy.
I love Nigerians and I am sure you do too. We are all just looking at the best way to bring this country up to her potential. Thanks for your time.
Re: Subsidy To Wait For Now –okonjo-iweala by jason123: 1:30am On Dec 16, 2011
df2006:

commot for my front
grin grin grin. *spits on you and your post*. Useless!
Re: Subsidy To Wait For Now –okonjo-iweala by Nobody: 1:34am On Dec 16, 2011
^^^^^^ remain small wey u go use swallow food o, you don dey spit since yesterday
Re: Subsidy To Wait For Now –okonjo-iweala by dmainboss: 1:36am On Dec 16, 2011
jason123:

My view is that we have a cabal, what is stopping them from controlling the prices?? Nigeria is dependent on oil. Will that not be too much power given to them? What is stopping them from forming a body to protect their interest (like OPEC)? I sincerely think that the law of demand and supply will not work in this sector.
Our POVs are very different. I am looking at it in terms of the masses, you are looking at it in terms of the overall economy.
I love Nigerians and I am sure you do too. We are all just looking at the best way to bring this country up to her potential. Thanks for your time.

I think using the so called presence of a cabal is at best "lame". Why did the cabal not fix the prices for phone tarrifs? One insinuation I read here on NL is that the rich guys out there are always good friends. Well that insinuation is sooooo wrong. These rich guys are constantly trying to outdo each other. Sometimes, the competition is so bad, that they are willing to take losses just for their competition to fail. No cabal is going to fix any price. They are individual businesses looking for the edge and looking for economic dominance. The laws of demand and supply will always kick in and competition will always determine the final price regime.
Re: Subsidy To Wait For Now –okonjo-iweala by jason123: 1:37am On Dec 16, 2011
df2006:

^^^^^^ remain small wey u go use swallow food o, you don dey spit since yesterday

Abi o! I could smell your stench since yesterday. grin
You are disgusting!
Re: Subsidy To Wait For Now –okonjo-iweala by jason123: 1:40am On Dec 16, 2011
dmainboss:

I think using the so called presence of a cabal is at best "lame". Why did the cabal not fix the prices for phone tarrifs? One insinuation I read here on NL is that the rich guys out there are always good friends. Well that insinuation is sooooo wrong. These rich guys are constantly trying to outdo each other. Sometimes, the competition is so bad, that they are willing to take losses just for their competition to fail. No cabal is going to fix any price. They are individual businesses looking for the edge and looking for economic dominance. The laws of demand and supply will always kick in and competition will always determine the final price regime.

Okay, if you say so! I wish GEJ and Nigeria all the best. We all want what is best for our country, hence, the passion. Thanks for your time though. I'm out
Re: Subsidy To Wait For Now –okonjo-iweala by Beaf: 1:49am On Dec 16, 2011
All the clods hammering dmainboss for exposing the obvious need to be ashamed of yourselves.
Everybody knows that the insulting of GEJ is driven by ethnic bigotry. We see it and you know it, so why pretend?

Bloody ethnically bigotted hypocrites that are as weak as little girls. When is your "revolution" starting? The subsidy is now gone, just to remind you and you've been mouthing off for months now.
Re: Subsidy To Wait For Now –okonjo-iweala by Nobody: 1:54am On Dec 16, 2011
^^^^^ don't forget spitting off as well
Re: Subsidy To Wait For Now –okonjo-iweala by jason123: 1:55am On Dec 16, 2011
^^^
Shut up.
Re: Subsidy To Wait For Now –okonjo-iweala by Nobody: 2:11am On Dec 16, 2011
jason the spitter

Re: Subsidy To Wait For Now –okonjo-iweala by jason123: 2:18am On Dec 16, 2011
lol
Re: Subsidy To Wait For Now –okonjo-iweala by Obiagu1(m): 2:43am On Dec 16, 2011
Fuel subsidy should be removed now or never talk about it again!
Re: Subsidy To Wait For Now –okonjo-iweala by sidnazious(m): 11:19am On Dec 16, 2011
I dont know if i am wrong, but is fuel subsidy removal the only way to cut down on our excesses? what about our reccurent expenditure?

cant the senators and house of rep guys take a pay cut? Obasanjo was the one who gave them 300% increase in the first place,

Also how can we be sure about the subsidy figures? in my opinion it is grossly inflated. corruption in high places, logically how can the figure jump by more than 3times between two years? Did Nigeria's population increase or people are using fuel to cook now? (simple------products are getting diverted and subsidy is being put on them wrongly).

Lets not forget that one of functions of NNPC is to make products readily available and implement subsidies when neccesary.

What if after they remove subsidy and things are still not right, what will happen then? will they bring it back? No, untold suffering looms.

subsidy removal is not the solution. lets check the exact volume of product to be subsidized and prevent room for fraudulent manipulations by the cabals. Lets think straight.
Re: Subsidy To Wait For Now –okonjo-iweala by Nobody: 2:15pm On Dec 16, 2011
Nairalad is possibly one of the places the FG is looking up to for candid advices and on what to do next.
Re: Subsidy To Wait For Now –okonjo-iweala by chikis(m): 6:32am On Dec 17, 2011
I think the goverment is making a point here. Let fuel subsidy go so that the price of fuel will go up, then private and foriegn investors will come in because of the apparent boom in the businness, then competition will arise and that will lead to a fall in price and steady availability of the commodity.
Although we are going to exprience hardship at first because of the policy but with time we shall find light at the end of the tunnel.
Come think of it we still have some fears; which is we don't know wether the money gain from the removal of subisdy will be used to achieve what is planned for maybe becuase of poor management of fund becuase goverment can never be trusted. May God help Nigeria, Amen![color=#006600][/color]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Candidates Jostle For Babachir Lawal’s Position At APC NWC / VAT: Samuel Ortom Supports Lagos, Rivers In Case Against FIRS / Sowore Declares To Run For Nigerian President In 2023

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.