Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,515 members, 7,830,530 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 01:51 AM

Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update (42347 Views)

Occupy NASS : Hypocrisy Or Genuine Nat­ional Assignment? (photo) / AIG Mbu In Mild Drama At Lekki Toll Plaza / Jonathan’s Rally: Soldiers Occupy Rivers Amiesimaka Stadium (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by emmatok(m): 7:43pm On Dec 17, 2011
alj_harem:

I see your point but Lekki is an expensive area and as such the people that live there are the high and might of the society.

In recent years, more people have being moving their and as such the toll gate is a form of deterring people from moving there.

Lagos state is losing land fast and at the current level of urbanisation, it does not take a prophet to know that within 50 years, there would be no land left in Lagos.

Look at it as a form of tax basically.

But I want to make it clear, 3 toll gates is pushing it. I would rather it is just 1 toll gate.

Lekki is not an expensive area, those estate are filled with empty Mansions.

70% of Lekki residence live outside those estates in Villages.

You cannot compare Sand filled Lekki to VI, Ikoyi, GRA, Ilupeju and Antony .
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by aljharem3: 7:43pm On Dec 17, 2011
oche_ejemb:

To suggest that everyone that lives in Lekki is rich is ignorant, have you never been there? The whole area is as large and as diverse as any other place in Lagos, the rich, the poor and those floating in the middle, not everone that lives there owns a house there, heck therr are slums there too, i honestly think the best solution is that all residents of lekki be allowed to pay severly discounted rates,

hmmm, so those living in lekki cannot pay Just one toll gate ?

whereas mushin people pay toll gate.

jmaine:

What sorta stvpid question is this and what do you hope to gain by asking this sorta silly question  undecided  . . . Guy make you rearrange bo !

Yes, getting beaten by political thugs cos they were not policemen by his accounts, is part of the consequences of protesting against a government all over the world . . . . . and the police even added cover for their thuggery damn  embarassed  !!

let me hear people claim that the police is soly answerable to the F.G only
. . .

So in the context of this protest and my quoted post . .the PDP and the ACN were actually colluding to harass the peaceful protesters . . Good , i now understand your point.

Political thugs ? this is new

I thought it was mopol and the police force. maybe you can upload a pic to confirm it was thugs and not the authority

Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Skii(m): 7:44pm On Dec 17, 2011
Point of correction, the "RICH" as is being mentioned refers to LEKKI PHASE ONE RESIDENTS, not the generality of LEKKI
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by aljharem3: 7:45pm On Dec 17, 2011
emmatok:

Lekki is not an expensive area, those estate are filled with empty Mansions.

70% of Lekki residence live outside those estates in Villages.

You cannot compare Sand filled Lekki to VI, Ikoyi, GRA, Ilupeju and Antony .

Yes I know. but those that would be using the toll gates are the working class people isn't it majorly in lekki phase 1 ?

Those living in the villages can be exampled from the toll gate.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kobojunkie: 7:46pm On Dec 17, 2011
Skii:
@kobojunkie,
people in Lekki are comfortable what the outsiders or less comfortable would term as rich. I live there

I support the toll. Nothing in this life is free. Only that two toll gates at the extreme ends of the length of the road but at a reasonably lower cost of say N50

I happen to have a friend who lives in Lekki, in a face to face, in one of those villages, and he certainly would think you a grand- eejit for that statement you have above that people in Lekki are comfortable. He believes that there are those in Lekki who look down on the others(many of whom have been there longer) and almost believe that only those in Lekki Phase I are affected in anyway by this, and any other Lekki-related issues.  ROFLMAO!!! Even I wouldn't make such an arrogant statement of the people who live in my city here.

So, you mean because I am against the government's handling of this particular issue means I am against tolling, and possibly anti-development? WOW . . . .  and all the toll I gladly paid this week, travelling to-and-fro indiana(and loving the fact that I did not have to slow down to even 70 mph, thanks to electronic tolling) was for what??  shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by jmaine: 7:47pm On Dec 17, 2011
Quote from Harem

Political thugs ? this is new

I thought it was mopol and the police force. maybe you can upload a pic to confirm it was thugs and not the authority

Quit this aimless game and watch STV news by 10pm . .  .  i have giving you a reference to watch . .so don't come here asking me for pics again . . that was another silly question from you again . .

Unless you want to tell me that his assailant wearing a native was part of the Lagos state authority
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by aljharem3: 7:47pm On Dec 17, 2011
Kobojunkie:

[b] I happen to have a friend who lives in Lekki, in a face to face, in one of those villages, and he certainly would think you a grand- eejit for that statement you have above that people in Lekki are comfortable. [/b]ROFLMAO!!! Even I wouldn't make such an arrogant statement of the people who live in my city here.

So, you mean because I am against the government's handling of this particular issue means I am against tolling, and possibly anti-development? WOW . . . .  and all the toll I gladly paid this week, travelling to-and-fro indiana(and loving the fact that I did not have to slow down to even 70 mph, thanks to electronic tolling) was for what??  shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

does your friend use a car in that village ?
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by aljharem3: 7:48pm On Dec 17, 2011
jmaine:

Quote from Harem

Quit this aimless game and watch STV news by 10pm . .  .  i have giving you a reference to watch . .so don't come here asking me for pics again . . that was another silly question from you again . .

I would check it out

thanks
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kobojunkie: 7:48pm On Dec 17, 2011
alj_harem:

does your friend use a car in that village ?

Dude, learn when to stop with the ignorant ramblings.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Skii(m): 7:49pm On Dec 17, 2011
Skii:

Point of correction, the "RICH" as is being mentioned refers to LEKKI PHASE ONE RESIDENTS, not the generality of LEKKI

I corrected myself
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kobojunkie: 7:50pm On Dec 17, 2011
The world in LEKKI does not start and end with the rich in Phase I.  grin grin grin grin Lekki Expressway was used by everyone in Lekki, 20 or more years before what you know now as Phase I lekki came into being.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by aljharem3: 7:51pm On Dec 17, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Dude, learn when to stop with the ignorant ramblings.

does your friend have a car in that village yes or no

If yes, it means he is part of the working class isn't it ?

if he/she is then, I bet 150 N for just one toll gate which I supported is not bad or is it ?
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by aljharem3: 7:51pm On Dec 17, 2011
Kobojunkie:

The world in LEKKI does not start and end with the rich in Phase I. grin grin grin grin

and the poor have cars ?
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by TRUTHTELA: 7:53pm On Dec 17, 2011
Lekki residents must PAY for that TOLL, cos, people like them destroyed Nigeria with their " IT's NOT MY BUSINESS ATTITUDE ". They thought Govt policies can only affect the poor.

All you guys writing CRAP here, millons of Lekki residents are willing to pay. The people I know in Lekki, does not have time to challenge govt.They will pay, Wait till Monday. When they will be so anxious to get to their ALMIGHTY OFFICE. They do not care, stop having headache over something that is not yours.

If you call for protest against FUEL SUBSIDY or the FED. Govt toll gates on FEDERAL HIGHWAYS, this same Lekki, people will not see it as an IMPORTANT THING.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by emmatok(m): 7:54pm On Dec 17, 2011
alj_harem:

Yes I know. but those that would be using the toll gates are the working class people isn't it majorly in lekki phase 1 ?

Those living in the villages can be exampled from the toll gate.

How will that happen.

Will put a mark on their forehead differentiating the rich from poor.?

For your information most working class Lekki residence live in those villages.

lekki phase 1 and other estates are filled with money bags and not salary earners.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by aljharem3: 7:55pm On Dec 17, 2011
jmaine:

Quote from Harem

Unless you want to tell me that his assailant wearing a native was part of the Lagos state authority

Jamine, just called a friend to comfirm and yes you were right

thugs were used. very disappointing.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kobojunkie: 7:55pm On Dec 17, 2011
emmatok:

How will that happen.

[size=13pt]Will put a mark on their forehead differentiating the rich from poor.?
[/size]

lekki phase 1 and other estates are filled with money bags and not salary earners.

what a wonderful suggestion!
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by eros(m): 7:56pm On Dec 17, 2011
Way to go guys, but not a very smart move. We should know that Fashola and his goons would resort to violence. So pay them back in their own coin by burning down the tolls very early in the morning or late at night. Kipish
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kobojunkie: 7:57pm On Dec 17, 2011
^^ roflmao!!
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by TRUTHTELA: 7:57pm On Dec 17, 2011
FYI, by January, fuel prices will be over 100 naira, going by planned subsidy removal. Millions of those MIDDLE CLASS in Lekki will not see any REASON to protest. Cos their cars have to be on the ROAD. why?? Cos they can afford that & they can not afford a TOLL fee. INTERESTING!
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by jmaine: 7:58pm On Dec 17, 2011
alj_harem:

Jamine [size=20pt]Jmaine[/size], just called a friend to comfirm and yes you were right

[b][size=28pt]thugs were used. [/size][/b]very disappointing.

Okay !!!!
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by TRUTHTELA: 7:59pm On Dec 17, 2011
@ eros, that will be the mistake of your life. COS, they have 24 hrs MOPOL protection on that TOLL PLAZA. Lol, Govt is alwaz one step ahead of you guyz.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by aljharem3: 8:00pm On Dec 17, 2011
emmatok:

How will that happen.

Will put a mark on their forehead differentiating the rich from poor.?

If they are indigenes of those villages and are poor and it so happens that they "have cars"( poor having cars)

then they can issue a special exempted from the toll by giving them a from a sticker for them to place on the front screen of their cars.

the working class living in those villages and have cars can pay the ONE toll gate as I suggested initially.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by eros(m): 8:02pm On Dec 17, 2011
TRUTHTELA:

@ eros, that will be the mistake of your life. COS, they have 24 hrs MOPOL protection on that TOLL PLAZA. Lol, Govt is alwaz one step ahead of you guyz.

You think so. Just wait and see what happens. There are those of us who love to call the govt. bluff. Afterall, who is govt. bloody animals we elected into power to protect our interests, but have turned against us to exploit, maim and kill.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Skii(m): 8:04pm On Dec 17, 2011
eros:

You think so. Just wait and see what happens. There are those of us who love to call the govt. bluff. Afterall, who is govt. bloody animals we elected into power to protect our interests, but have turned against us to exploit, maim and kill.

Guy this one na African Government o, no be oyinbo wan
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Skii(m): 8:05pm On Dec 17, 2011
alj_harem:

If they are indigenes of those villages and are poor and it so happens that they "have cars"( poor having cars)

then they can issue a special exempted from the toll by giving them a from a sticker for them to place on the front screen of their cars.

the working class living in those villages and have cars can pay the ONE toll gate as I suggested initially.

My own is even cheaper than yours grin two tolls @ N50 = N100

your own is one toll @ N150
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by eros(m): 8:07pm On Dec 17, 2011
Skii:

Guy this one na African Government o, no be oyinbo wan

Bros so because say na African Government shey them get 2 heads? I tell you these people cup don full and we will fight for our right. They cannot continue to enrich their pockets at our own expense.

Fashola is a nobody and will become irrelevant the minute he leaves office.

Go ask Akala and his wife.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by emmatok(m): 8:08pm On Dec 17, 2011
alj_harem:

You want to compare a salary earner with 100k car and a big man with N12m car with N42m mansion.

You also forget that transporter will increase their fees.

How salary earner can buy a house in those estates.

They don't come cheap. wink wink wink
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Skii(m): 8:09pm On Dec 17, 2011
@eros
Very true

I only wish they could save the protest strength for the m0r0n at the centre
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by TRUTHTELA: 8:09pm On Dec 17, 2011
I'm so upset with these Lekki toll protesters. Mopol, should kick them out there. Is it now that they WAKE UP? All i'm saying is THERE SHOULD BE A GENERAL PROTEST ABOUT GOVT POLICIES IN TOTALITY & A PROTEST THAT WILL LEAD TO REVOLUTION. Is it only the Toll fee, that Lekki residents see as  BAD & UNFAIR Govt policy? everything is wrong with Nigeria. It's a SHAME that their protest is against their immidiate enviroment. Little minds. They should be reminded that Egyptians are still protesting, against what? BAD GOVT. Is that toll fee the only thing they see WRONG in Nigeria? They must pay it.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Chubhie: 8:10pm On Dec 17, 2011
Truthtela welldone o. You too make sense.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Remii(m): 8:12pm On Dec 17, 2011
Come to think of it, what is the gain of people living at the Lekki axis after paying 20% of Total Remuneration to Lagos as tax with  No govt water, no govt schools or hospital, now tool gate will collect average of N544,320 per year from a family with 2 cars (1 SUV + 1 Saloon car, leaving after LBS).

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (23) (Reply)

Amaechi In A Queue While Boarding A Flight In Abuja.. Photos / Obasanjo In Igbo Attire, Poses With Igbo Leaders (Photo) / Nigerians That Left High Paid Jobs Overseas To Serve Their Country

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.