Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,581 members, 7,816,431 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:11 AM

Ph Carnival Pics; The Saturday Street Parade - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ph Carnival Pics; The Saturday Street Parade (17916 Views)

Ooni Ogunwusi Wedding Invitation & Details,To Marry Wuraola Obanor Next Saturday / Calabar Carnival 2015: Live Update With Photos / Man Turns Attraction At Lagos Carnival (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ph Carnival Pics; The Saturday Street Parade by stunna2(m): 6:12pm On Dec 21, 2011
thank you very much for sharing, i'm gratified!! i do hoever have a few questions, k

1) why was traffic allowered on a Carnival parade route??

2) why where there so very few people to watch?

the very idea of Carnival from here is to celebrate the human body, so why are people wearing so much clothing?

3) where are the food stands for visitors or where there none? did u try some of the foods or where u too upset about the traffic to participate?

4) was this the 1st time it was held? pls there can be room for more than one carnival so, people pls dont get negative and try to kill it ooo!!

celebrating life and our bodies is good for everyone and again, thanks for posting!

if people are interested, i have dozens of pictures from the biggest such Carnival in all of North America from Toronto from earlier in the summer and can put up a few so that people can see the idea and see if they like it!!

everybody stay blessed and onelove
Re: Ph Carnival Pics; The Saturday Street Parade by chuksme(m): 6:46pm On Dec 21, 2011
I Thank you Zenakobokovery very much for sharing these pictures.Job well done.

you really took time to gather all these pics. thank you
Re: Ph Carnival Pics; The Saturday Street Parade by pslm23(f): 6:58pm On Dec 21, 2011
Nice pics but those horses look hungry! grin
Re: Ph Carnival Pics; The Saturday Street Parade by tundysho(m): 7:03pm On Dec 21, 2011
afam4eva:

They don't even seem happy. When did carnivals replace festivals. Are there no Ikwerre Carnivals that can be upgraded or something. Must we copy everything from the white man?

But why is it so hard to ever appreciate anything in this country.It tells so much the kind of people we are.Damn!
Re: Ph Carnival Pics; The Saturday Street Parade by humblebee: 7:18pm On Dec 21, 2011
$tunna:

thank you very much for sharing, i'm gratified!! i do hoever have a few questions, k

1) why was traffic allowered on a Carnival parade route??

2) why where there so very few people to watch?

the very idea of Carnival from here is to celebrate the human body, so why are people wearing so much clothing?

3) where are the food stands for visitors or where there none? did u try some of the foods or where u too upset about the traffic to participate?

4) was this the 1st time it was held? pls there can be room for more than one carnival so, people pls dont get negative and try to kill it ooo!!

celebrating life and our bodies is good for everyone and again, thanks for posting!

if people are interested, i have dozens of pictures from the biggest such Carnival in all of North America from Toronto from earlier in the summer and can put up a few so that people can see the idea and see if they like it!!

everybody stay blessed and onelove

and where did this idea come from? a carnival without bras ad pants is no carnival, is that wat u're saying?
Re: Ph Carnival Pics; The Saturday Street Parade by Oba234: 7:59pm On Dec 21, 2011
isn't this a Caribbean tradition? Africa has Masquerade not carnivals.
Re: Ph Carnival Pics; The Saturday Street Parade by Calamama: 8:19pm On Dec 21, 2011
This is embarrassing. I thought Nigeria would never be infested with this crutch showing madness. Besides, whats the point? I mean, if this uneasy looking Carnival in Nigeria was created to encourage tourism, can i ask why would a Carnival seeking tourist visit Nigeria instead of Carnival expert nations such as Brazil, Trinidad, Spain and many other Caribbean nations?

You'd have thought that Nigeria, so rich in culture, would find some other indigenous devise to lure tourists. Well, if folks back home lack imagination let me venture a few ideas.

1) masquerade:

Why not gather all those various ethnic masquerade, spend time on their masks and costumes, i.e make sure the raffia are thick, tidy and plentiful, get artists to redo the masks.

2) Dances:

we have so many tribal dances. With over 350 ethnic groups in Nigeria, the world would pay to come to Nigeria if we had yearly dance competitions. I mean something well-staged and well paid for. I mean something professionally handled.

3) Durban in North Nigeria

4) Nollywood:

Yearly, hold casting events for blacks around the world for parts in Nollywood movies.
Re: Ph Carnival Pics; The Saturday Street Parade by Sibe007(m): 8:31pm On Dec 21, 2011
Calamama:

This is embarrassing. I thought Nigeria would never be infested with this crutch showing madness. Besides, whats the point? I mean, if this uneasy looking Carnival in Nigeria was created to encourage tourism, can i ask why would a Carnival seeking tourist visit Nigeria instead of Carnival expert nations such as Brazil, Trinidad, Spain and many other Caribbean nations?

You'd have thought that Nigeria, so rich in culture, would find some other indigenous devise to lure tourists. Well, if folks back home lack imagination let me venture a few ideas.

1) masquerade:

Why not gather all those various ethnic masquerade, spend time on their masks and costumes, i.e make sure the raffia are thick, tidy and plentiful, get artists to redo the masks.

2) Dances:

we have so many tribal dances. With over 350 ethnic groups in Nigeria, the world would pay to come to Nigeria if we had yearly dance competitions. I mean something well-staged and well paid for. I mean something professionally handled.

4) Nollywood:

Yearly, hold casting events for blacks around the world for parts in Nollywood movies.

Great Ideas you've got,
Re: Ph Carnival Pics; The Saturday Street Parade by akinolasam: 8:52pm On Dec 21, 2011
Nothing copied can ever look like the original.
what we know to do best in this part of the world is FESTIVAL and not CARNIVAL.
Re: Ph Carnival Pics; The Saturday Street Parade by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:25pm On Dec 21, 2011
Calamama:

1) masquerade:

Why not gather all those various ethnic masquerade, spend time on their masks and costumes, i.e make sure the raffia are thick, tidy and plentiful, get artists to redo the masks. 2) Dances:

[size=16pt]we have so many tribal dances. With over 350 ethnic groups in Nigeria, the world would pay to come to Nigeria if we had yearly dance competitions. I mean something well-staged and well paid for. I mean something professionally handled.[/size]

4) Nollywood:

akinolasam:

[size=64pt]GBAM![/size]

we need to encourage our traditional dancers, masqeraders, spirit dancers, war dancers, handicrafts, carvers, etc. these skilled peoples can be lost 4eva if we dont protect, preserve and nurture them NOW!
Re: Ph Carnival Pics; The Saturday Street Parade by Nobody: 10:31pm On Dec 21, 2011
wake up peeps, some of this carnivals are bank rolled by people who want you to adopt their system thereby losing yours. that way they benefit by helping you throw away your tradition and market theirs and because people know were the original is ,they would pay to go there and enjoy it leaving you copycats with empty purse embarassed embarassed in the end -jobs jobs jobs for their people lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Ph Carnival Pics; The Saturday Street Parade by Nobody: 11:04pm On Dec 21, 2011
Which yeye half tank did you burn mr OP. almost all these pictures were taking in the same spot. Stop the show off and post more pictures ojare. angry
By the way, this is not a carnival. More of a Protest
Re: Ph Carnival Pics; The Saturday Street Parade by hbrednic: 11:05pm On Dec 21, 2011
trashie
Re: Ph Carnival Pics; The Saturday Street Parade by moremi2008(m): 11:41pm On Dec 21, 2011
This is tragic. I wonder who go the contract for the costumes! I would have gone to China to find the cheapest ones too! Nonsense.
Re: Ph Carnival Pics; The Saturday Street Parade by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:12am On Dec 22, 2011
the costumes are so bad. sad

[size=32pt]LOOK WHAT CHRISTIANITY HAS DONE TO OUR COUNTRY!!!!!!!![/size] angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Ph Carnival Pics; The Saturday Street Parade by Rgp92: 1:02am On Dec 22, 2011
PAGAN  9JA:

[size=32pt]LOOK WHAT CHRISTIANITY HAS DONE TO OUR COUNTRY!!!!!!!![/size] angry angry angry angry angry angry

Agreed! Not just christian, islam too!

Those costumes sucks.
Re: Ph Carnival Pics; The Saturday Street Parade by olajide8(m): 3:37am On Dec 22, 2011
@op what I liked were the girls legs apart from that it was more of a compulsory walk along the street we don't have any eating carnival, carnival for upcoming artist to show case their acts get booo and selecting new acts this was quite boring from the looks and seriously needs overhauling and I just had to over run the pictures I heard their are a lot of small rivers in rivers can't they develop and do water sport carnivals things unique to the state that would bring in foreign exchange with time if well harnessed.
akinolasam:

Re: Ph Carnival Pics; The Saturday Street Parade by ogaju007(m): 5:45am On Dec 22, 2011
PAGAN 9JA:

sorry dont understand the link with religion. can you please explain/////
Re: Ph Carnival Pics; The Saturday Street Parade by AreaFada2: 6:49am On Dec 22, 2011
@ Calamama,

We're simply confused. We cannot help copying others and the expense of our own rich culture.

If you see how uneasy the PH participants look, it is clear they have no idea what it's all about.

Somebody in govt wanted a carnival and he/she got one.
If I really wanted to see a carnival, I'd go to Rio DJ or Caribbean.

I'd rather go and see Argungu, Igue, Eyo, Durbar and many other  display our  rich cultures than these copycat ones. By the way, oversea tourists will probably do same.
Re: Ph Carnival Pics; The Saturday Street Parade by Ivynwa(f): 7:05am On Dec 22, 2011
Who said that Carnival was borrowed from the whites? Carnival is an African thing, it's the same masquerading that we do here in Africa that they do there dressed up in funky masquarade-looking costumes playing Mas.
It has great positives for the society, it stirs up money into the economy and into the pockets of people making the costumes and organizing the event. In some societies it is millions of dollars business as it boosts tourism. If they have such pecks like music and costume competitions, people take away millions of dollars as prizes. The entertainment, hospitality, tourism and clothing industry benefit a lot from it.
The greater part of it is that it brings people together with people looking forward to it working hard together to get the prizes.
It enables people to de-stress and have fun together. I don't see anything wrong with it as long it makes people happy and doesn't hurt anybody.

It's nice that our people are now into it but let them not forget that it's same old masquerading that it's all about. They should feature our own traditional masquarades and stuffs too. The only thing that seems to be missing there is Soca music blazing in the air. If the Nigerian music industry can explore this event , they will reap greatly from it.

Poster thanks for sharing the pictures, it's lovely to watch people having fun. They should have organized better and blocked some roads temporary with another alternative made for motorists. People do not deserve to have their precious time wasted like that.
W-o-o-y-i-i-i(clapping) I'm loving it, have fun people!
Re: Ph Carnival Pics; The Saturday Street Parade by dadicvila(m): 8:15am On Dec 22, 2011
This OP is a first class bad belle person,with your yeye phone with poor camera, i was with the Carnival train from Aggrey Road to the end point at Waterline axis and i must say it was well staged and managed with much pageantry,so much crowd around to watch and cheer the dancers, power bike stunt shows,horses around,the carnival village{liberation stadium}was also a beehive of activities with lots of artist performing including P square, Nobody is comparing Carniriv with Calaber Carnival but atleast it was a beauty to behold,make no mistake about it
Re: Ph Carnival Pics; The Saturday Street Parade by eghost247(m): 9:51am On Dec 22, 2011
looks boring
Re: Ph Carnival Pics; The Saturday Street Parade by Zenakoboko(m): 9:59am On Dec 22, 2011
Thanks to all who appreciate!
My comments represent my opinion. You are entitled to yours.

@Dadicvila
I no be bad belle O! Was just pissed about being held up for hours plus my fuel (remember say dem go soon remove subsidy undecided)  
Lol "@ yeye fone". My fone no be yeye O! Actually I would like you to ask around ya and find out the 2011 Nokia fone with 12megapixel resolution. GBAM!  wink.
I was inside my ride, the fact that they were in motion, the harmattan haze and the armana chilling effect too  wink could have been it.
They just should have specified the carnival routes in advance by announcing over and over on radio or tv but they didnt. Publicity about the whole thing was low. Imagine what good publicity could have done if you were to plan a trip into the garden city (naija's petroleum hub) as a 1st time visitor on that particular day.  

By the way, like the carnival peps, maybe I still dey learn work as per photo-journalism  grin
Re: Ph Carnival Pics; The Saturday Street Parade by Switup: 10:23am On Dec 22, 2011
Geez dat was a pretty interesting piece. Less sweat to ur armpit my broda:*
Re: Ph Carnival Pics; The Saturday Street Parade by Pennywise(m): 10:35am On Dec 22, 2011
Port na wrong place for this kain thing. No fine babes. OP thanks though for the colours.
Re: Ph Carnival Pics; The Saturday Street Parade by Okijajuju1(m): 10:36am On Dec 22, 2011
The truth is that RIVERS STATE is yet to get the canival thing right.

First of all, the road show causes so much traffic that like the OP said, you would cry just sitting in you vehicle waiting for them to pass.

I personally think that we should go back to RIVIFEST, what it was a show of masquerades and boat regattas.

Maybe, start with a one day road walk the would take into consideration the different ethinicities in the state.

Secondly a Masquerade show and end it with a colourful boat regatta round port-Harcourt with the different war-canoe houses putting up a show to win a grand price in the end.

But in comparison to Calabar festival, Port-Harcourt dosent measure up. This is a city that is all about the money and less about leisure.
Re: Ph Carnival Pics; The Saturday Street Parade by mbulela: 11:06am On Dec 22, 2011
Calamama:

you think they are interested in tourists and by extension your ideas?
this is just one of the several half baked ideas those who hang around the governors cook up to siphon public funds.
wait until you hear how many hundreds of millions were budgeted for this carnival.those of you complaining abou tthe costume, your BP will rise when you hear how much the contract was worth.
they should just do their carnival and not block road for other road users who have other things to do with teir time.
Re: Ph Carnival Pics; The Saturday Street Parade by y2kaustin(m): 11:09am On Dec 22, 2011
if its not panadol,it can never be panadol, my state Calabar is the best
Re: Ph Carnival Pics; The Saturday Street Parade by Baawaa(m): 11:11am On Dec 22, 2011
Very soon gov wil organize carnival and ppl wil nt come out!!"a hungry man is an angry man"
Re: Ph Carnival Pics; The Saturday Street Parade by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:52am On Dec 22, 2011
Rgp92:

Agreed! Not just christian, islam too!

Those costumes sucks.

[size=32pt]YES ISLAM TOO!!!!!!!!!!![/size]

THESE PEOPLE LOOK LIKE PANZIES GOING ON A PROTEST. IT DOESNT MAKE NO SENSE.!!!!! angry angry angry angry angry angry

ogaju007:

sorry dont understand the link with religion. can you please explain/////

i think you should be asking yourself that question. THIS IS CULTURAL GENOCIDE WE ARE TALKING ABOUT! angry

[size=16pt]NIGERIANS, ASK YOURSELF! DO YOU WANT THIS?:[/size]

(overtly obsessive morality)

[size=16pt]OR THIS?[/size]

(complete immorality)
[img]http://3.bp..com/_mRrj-tY5DbU/SaYJKjeEw4I/AAAAAAAABFI/3BWyp3l5n_s/s400/90227-Carnaval+2009+-+Belas+da+2o+noite+de+desfiles+image149.jpg[/img]

[img]http://naijamusicbiz.files./2010/09/nottinghill-carnival-pics.jpg[/img]

[size=16pt]OR FINALLY THIS?[/size]

(balance of morality, free-mind, culture and nature-religious values)

Re: Ph Carnival Pics; The Saturday Street Parade by patlead: 12:45pm On Dec 22, 2011
mtchewww, nonsense, na by force to do carnival
Re: Ph Carnival Pics; The Saturday Street Parade by ogaju007(m): 12:55pm On Dec 22, 2011
oohh oki get your point, the problem is we aren't capable of hinking talkless of being innovative. i can bet my life if the west worshipped sango, majority of these so called xtians would have been great sango worshippers.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

7 Benefits Of Speaking Nigeria’s Three Major Languages / The Black Race Is A Disgrace And Curse To Humanity.. / OLOWU OF OWU Kingship: Meet The Final 7 Candidates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.