Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,622 members, 7,820,207 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:21 AM

Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. - Computers (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. (65473 Views)

Post Your India Web Proxy problems Here / Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. / Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by asids55: 8:44pm On Jun 04, 2012
wot games can i instal on mac
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by otumfour(m): 9:21pm On Jun 04, 2012
^^^ I have N.O.V.A 2 on mine.....not a big fan of computer games, though I do I enjoy angry birds on my mac grin grin
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by bayfam(m): 8:37am On Jun 05, 2012
Thanks olisa74,i will have to sell it as it is.....An ibook G4 mac for sale, flat battery and it uses extenal mouse......07086437748

1 Like

Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by aurora777: 10:58pm On Jun 08, 2012
Olisa74:

Hello aurora777
Have you tried resetting the System Management Controller? http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964?viewlocale=en_US

If that does not help, then it seems like you might need a new battery connector. There is a switch in the connector which activates the sleep function when the magnet in the screen frame becomes closed. It sounds as if the switch is faulty. It only costs about £20 ( cheaper than a new charger) and is very easy to replace. This problem seems to only affect late 2008 MacBooks. Apple should be fixing it for free.

The image is what the battery connector looks like.

Thanks olisa74, I've tried the SMC but the problem still persists. I guess i have to change the battery connector as you suggested. Your assistance is highly appreciated.

1 Like

Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by filibust: 7:03pm On Jun 11, 2012
Hi Fellow Mac'kers,

Would like to know which is the best windows model to run with an apple OS. Is it the parallel or the bootcamp?

Pls explain both. Thanks.
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by Olisa74(m): 3:43pm On Jun 12, 2012
filibust: Hi Fellow Mac'kers,

Would like to know which is the best windows model to run with an apple OS. Is it the parallel or the bootcamp?

Pls explain both. Thanks.

Apple Bootcamp and Parallels are both options for running operating systems such as Windows on computers running Mac OS X. These two solutions both have pros and cons for the end user and both utilize quite different technology from one another. This article will walk you through the process of choosing between Apple Bootcamp and Parallels.

Apple BootCamp is a free utility that is pre-installed on all Macs running Mac OS X. This means the only cost associated with using this option is the cost of the operating system license you plan on installing.
The current Parallels software, Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac, is priced at $79.99 or $49.99 to upgrade from a previous version. You can, however, download and try Parallels for 14 days free of charge through their trial offer.
. 2
Evaluate the differences in technology
Apple Bootcamp allows you to run operating systems natively, i.e. giving it access to system resources such as full access to the CPU, Graphics, and all other system resources. This may be crucial for certain tasks such as playing games that require a lot of system resources. However, this means that you will only be able to boot into one operating system at a time, and cannot utilize both Mac OS X and the other operating system simultaneously.

Parallels will allow you to create a virtual machine for your operating system. This will allow you to run the operating system in a window within Mac OS X, allowing you to essentially run both operating systems simultaneously.
. 3
Examine the differences in user experience and Mac OS X integration
The obvious difference in user experience is the fact that Parallels allows you to instantly switch between Mac OS X and another operating system. Bootcamp, on the other hand, forces you to choose one or another when booting your system.
Parallels is highly integrated with Mac OS X, allowing you to transfer files from an operating system installed through Parallels such as Windows to Mac OS X and vice-versa via drag and drop. You can also access folders stored on your Mac through an operating system installed in Parallels and vice-versa. These are features that aren’t possible with Bootcamp.
The startup time associated with Parallels is typically much faster than using Bootcamp. Launching an operating system through Parallels is comparable to opening an application. Launching an operating system through Bootcamp is similar to booting an OS such as Windows installed natively on a PC.
. 4
Consider the impact on system resources.
When running an operating system in Parallels, it is sharing your system’s resources with your currently installed version of Mac OS X. You may experience sluggish performance even if your system meets the minimum system requirements for the application and operating system. If you are planning on running resource intensive applications such as games or video rendering software, it is probably best to utilize Bootcamp. This will allow you to have access to all system resources as if the operating system was installed natively.
. 5
Compare the setup process.
Setup of operating systems in both applications is done via detailed onscreen instructions and takes approximately 5 to 15 minutes. Installation of the actual operating system after the initial setup process is complete will be done using its own procedure. For example, when installing Windows, the installation process will the same as if you were installing Windows natively on a PC.
The Apple Bootcamp installation requires a utility that comes preinstalled on all Intel-based Macs called “Boot Camp Assistant” that will allow you to partition your hard drive, and provide you with a virtual CD containing all of the necessary drivers for your operating system.
Installation of an operating system through Parallels will walk you through the process of preparing the drive and creating a virtual machine for the OS. You will also be able to specify how much RAM is allocated to the operating system. One benefit of this installation process is the ability to select the “Expanding” disk format. This will allow the disk image to grow as more data is required, allowing you to only use as much disk space as necessary.

http://www.wikihow.com/Choose-Between-Apple-Bootcamp-and-Parallels
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by Nobody: 7:57pm On Jun 14, 2012
pls btw d new macbook pro wit retina display and d macbook pro 17 inch...wich one is d best and wich one do u tink i should buy.can i also configure macbook pro 17 inch jusk like in apple online store at marleygab international ? tanx
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by Olaone1: 10:26pm On Jun 14, 2012
Hi,
Why is it impossible to use 2 USBs on Macbook Pro at the same time? I have the 2011 Lion OS Mac and this seems impossible. The ports are too close to each other. Is there a way around this?
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by Olisa74(m): 7:35am On Jun 15, 2012
jehovahnoni: pls btw d new macbook pro wit retina display and d macbook pro 17 inch...wich one is d best and wich one do u tink i should buy.can i also configure macbook pro 17 inch jusk like in apple online store at marleygab international ? tanx

The new Macbook pro with retina display, is the culmination of everything Apple has learnt in the Macbook field. It is the most expensive Macbook pro out there. It is one of the most expensive laptops in the market today. If money is not an issue, then it is arguably the best laptop you can buy right now. I personally think the laptop is way ahead of its time. Apps and websites are not yet optimised for the retina display. I would save money and go for the 17 or 15 inch Macbook pro. If you get the MacBook Pro with Retina display now, you’ll be waiting on the world to change.
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by Olisa74(m): 7:42am On Jun 15, 2012
Ola one: Hi,
Why is it impossible to use 2 USBs on Macbook Pro at the same time? I have the 2011 Lion OS Mac and this seems impossible. The ports are too close to each other. Is there a way around this?

I feel you. Macbook Pros's have never been big on usb ports. You can easily get a USB extender ( google it). They are very cheap, and should ease your headache.
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by Olaone1: 1:45pm On Jun 15, 2012
^^Thanks

1 Like

Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by Nobody: 1:21pm On Jun 16, 2012
Thank u Olisa,pls do u knw who can lend me money to buy d macbook pro.I will pay back duely.my numba 08189303913.
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by brabus(m): 6:54am On Jun 17, 2012
I need Macbook Air A1304 LCD flex cable. The mac is 2010 model.

Pls where can I get the spare parts in Lagos?
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by Olisa74(m): 7:17am On Jun 18, 2012
brabus: I need Macbook Air A1304 LCD flex cable. The mac is 2010 model.

Pls where can I get the spare parts in Lagos?

Try:
The Orchard, Shop 3, Civic Centre Ozumba Mbadiwe Street, VI, Lagos, 07028064109

Or

iShopA.com
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by filibust: 12:50pm On Jun 18, 2012
Olisa74:

Hey! Thanks man!

Apple Bootcamp and Parallels are both options for running operating systems such as Windows on computers running Mac OS X. These two solutions both have pros and cons for the end user and both utilize quite different technology from one another. This article will walk you through the process of choosing between Apple Bootcamp and Parallels.

Apple BootCamp is a free utility that is pre-installed on all Macs running Mac OS X. This means the only cost associated with using this option is the cost of the operating system license you plan on installing.
The current Parallels software, Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac, is priced at $79.99 or $49.99 to upgrade from a previous version. You can, however, download and try Parallels for 14 days free of charge through their trial offer.
. 2
Evaluate the differences in technology
Apple Bootcamp allows you to run operating systems natively, i.e. giving it access to system resources such as full access to the CPU, Graphics, and all other system resources. This may be crucial for certain tasks such as playing games that require a lot of system resources. However, this means that you will only be able to boot into one operating system at a time, and cannot utilize both Mac OS X and the other operating system simultaneously.

Parallels will allow you to create a virtual machine for your operating system. This will allow you to run the operating system in a window within Mac OS X, allowing you to essentially run both operating systems simultaneously.
. 3
Examine the differences in user experience and Mac OS X integration
The obvious difference in user experience is the fact that Parallels allows you to instantly switch between Mac OS X and another operating system. Bootcamp, on the other hand, forces you to choose one or another when booting your system.
Parallels is highly integrated with Mac OS X, allowing you to transfer files from an operating system installed through Parallels such as Windows to Mac OS X and vice-versa via drag and drop. You can also access folders stored on your Mac through an operating system installed in Parallels and vice-versa. These are features that aren’t possible with Bootcamp.
The startup time associated with Parallels is typically much faster than using Bootcamp. Launching an operating system through Parallels is comparable to opening an application. Launching an operating system through Bootcamp is similar to booting an OS such as Windows installed natively on a PC.
. 4
Consider the impact on system resources.
When running an operating system in Parallels, it is sharing your system’s resources with your currently installed version of Mac OS X. You may experience sluggish performance even if your system meets the minimum system requirements for the application and operating system. If you are planning on running resource intensive applications such as games or video rendering software, it is probably best to utilize Bootcamp. This will allow you to have access to all system resources as if the operating system was installed natively.
. 5
Compare the setup process.
Setup of operating systems in both applications is done via detailed onscreen instructions and takes approximately 5 to 15 minutes. Installation of the actual operating system after the initial setup process is complete will be done using its own procedure. For example, when installing Windows, the installation process will the same as if you were installing Windows natively on a PC.
The Apple Bootcamp installation requires a utility that comes preinstalled on all Intel-based Macs called “Boot Camp Assistant” that will allow you to partition your hard drive, and provide you with a virtual CD containing all of the necessary drivers for your operating system.
Installation of an operating system through Parallels will walk you through the process of preparing the drive and creating a virtual machine for the OS. You will also be able to specify how much RAM is allocated to the operating system. One benefit of this installation process is the ability to select the “Expanding” disk format. This will allow the disk image to grow as more data is required, allowing you to only use as much disk space as necessary.

http://www.wikihow.com/Choose-Between-Apple-Bootcamp-and-Parallels
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by kael: 11:23pm On Jun 18, 2012
Please where can I find a Mac minidisplay to hdmi cable
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by Olisa74(m): 5:58am On Jun 19, 2012
kael: Please where can I find a Mac minidisplay to hdmi cable

If you live in Nigeria try
The Orchard, Shop 3, Civic Centre Ozumba Mbadiwe Street, VI, Lagos, 07028064109
Or
iShopA.com
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by Olisa74(m): 6:02am On Jun 19, 2012
An increasing number of people what to know where they can buy Mac accessories in Nigeria.
Is it not possible to order them from eBay or websites like Amazon.com, and have them delivered to Nigeria?
I ask this question as this would be a much cheaper option for most people.

1 Like

Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by brabus(m): 7:50pm On Jun 20, 2012
Olisa74: An increasing number of people what to know where they can buy Mac accessories in Nigeria.
Is it not possible to order them from eBay or websites like Amazon.com, and have them delivered to Nigeria?

I thought of that as well and was almost going to pay for the item that I wanted so badly. But on a second thought, I decided not to buy it online cos who'll pay for the shipping cost if the item happens to be defective.

_____
kael

I saw a 15ft mini display to HDMI cable at Mac Center, Ikeja today
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by Maleeq(m): 1:10pm On Jun 24, 2012
Olisa74: An increasing number of people what to know where they can buy Mac accessories in Nigeria.
Its been a while but I've seen "PC Outlet" at the Palms Shopping centre and V.I. stock up on Macs and accessories.

People are wary of online purchases as even I have been had 3times where I place an order, it gets shipped but never delivered to me! Inquiring from the merchants site/shipping firm, I get told I recieved and signed for it! shocked I surely won't risk that happening when I order a mac o! else, i go cry! grin

Retina display at 2880 x 1800 resolution? Awesome!!!
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by amor4ce(m): 8:20am On Jun 25, 2012
What's the meaning of the "Built-in power supply" of the Mac mini? Battery?
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by Olisa74(m): 10:04pm On Jun 25, 2012
amor4ce: What's the meaning of the "Built-in power supply" of the Mac mini? Battery?

It means that the power supply is built into the Mac mini. So there is no external brick like in most laptops or like in the xbox 360 power supply.Apparently making it clutter free.
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by amor4ce(m): 3:43am On Jun 26, 2012
OK, thanks!
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by whiskystan: 7:32am On Jun 26, 2012
whats up everybody am new to this forum, but just want to know is their any fix for facetime on os X lion. cos my facetime does not work after i upgraded to osx lion?? any solution
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by dastudent(m): 9:27pm On Jun 26, 2012
sun_temi: The thread says ' Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here.' so why all these MAC and PC arguments?

Gbam!
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by dastudent(m): 9:34pm On Jun 26, 2012

Check the apple store in computer village.Its not a an apple retail store.

The dude there is really nice and you would get answers to most of your questions there.

Plus that's where I get all my apple accessories.

1 Like

Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by Olisa74(m): 11:36am On Jun 27, 2012
whiskystan: whats up everybody am new to this forum, but just want to know is their any fix for facetime on os X lion. cos my facetime does not work after i upgraded to osx lion?? any solution

delete the .plist file for FaceTime from the Library, it should be in ~/Library/Preferences/ or ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/
then you should be back in business.
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by Olisa74(m): 11:43am On Jun 27, 2012
da student:
sun_temi: The thread says ' Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here.' so why all these MAC and PC arguments?
Gbam!

I think it is fair to say we can discuss anything Mac related on this thread. The PC vs Mac arguments are very informative.
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by brabus(m): 12:27pm On Jun 27, 2012
da student:

Check the apple store in computer village.Its not a an apple retail store.

The dude there is really nice and you would get answers to most of your questions there.

Plus that's where I get all my apple accessories.

Mac Center, right? I won't rate the shop until I collect my MacBook Air later tmrw. But I'm smelling rat already!
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by whiskystan: 2:12pm On Jun 27, 2012
Olisa74:

delete the .plist file for FaceTime from the Library, it should be in ~/Library/Preferences/ or ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/
then you should be back in business.

thanks bro let me do dat now

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply)

You Can Now Upgrade To Windows 10 / Difference Between China HP And Original HP? / Computer Professional Body In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.