Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,952 members, 7,952,837 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 04:56 AM

The NBA Begins - Sports (1083) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The NBA Begins (1718510 Views)

Two Nigerian Players In The NBA Finals / Miami Heats Wins The NBA Final / Unbelievable! Kobe Bryant The Nba Player Of The Decade: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1080) (1081) (1082) (1083) (1084) (1085) (1086) ... (2277) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 3:36am On Feb 17, 2019
Now they're happy he got the money. I thought it wasn't about the money?
What a joke. grin

Re: The NBA Begins by AfroBlue(m): 4:19am On Feb 17, 2019
it's about to get really real!

NBA, FIBA launching 12-team Basketball Africa League

Tim Bontemps
ESPN

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26011129/nba-fiba-launching-12-team-basketball-africa-league

CHARLOTTE -- The NBA and FIBA jointly announced their plan Saturday afternoon to launch a basketball league featuring 12 club teams across Africa -- marking the first time the NBA will be part of the operation of a league outside of North America.

"The Basketball Africa League is an important next step in our continued development of the game of basketball in Africa," NBA commissioner Adam Silver said in a statement. "Combined with our other programs on the continent, we are committed to using basketball as an economic engine to create new opportunities in sports, media and technology across Africa."

The new league, which will be called the Basketball Africa League, or BAL, will be built upon existing team competitions FIBA is already organizing in Africa. It is scheduled to begin play in January 2020.

In order to determine which teams will be participating in the venture, the NBA and FIBA are jointly planning to conduct qualification tournaments later this year to identify the 12 teams that would represent several countries -- including Angola, Egypt, Kenya, Morocco, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, South Africa and Tunisia. There will be no more than two teams from any single country in the league.

In addition to the announcement about the creation of the BAL, the NBA introduced two other measures to continue bringing the sport to the continent: by the start of the 2019-20 season, a revamped direct-to-consumer offering of NBA games for fans in Africa, and (along with FIBA) dedicated financial support and resources toward the continued development of the sport on the continent -- including training for players, coaches, referees and infrastructure.

smiley

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 5:09am On Feb 17, 2019
SmooshCHN:
What a joke. grin

This is coming from someone who recently said he wants to own an NBA team. Bron is not doing himself any good with some of his recent public actions and comments.

I felt the cause Karp was fighting and kneeling for was good and justifiable but he lost focus as soon as it became monetized and politicized. I gave up on him after the Nike advert during the Super Bowl. To imagine they were calling Malcom Jenkins a sell out because he chooses to do things differently. I love to hear Jason Whitlock’s view about this because he has been very consistent about his dislike for the way Karp did his thing.

Hopefully the money is worth everything him and Reid lost.
Re: The NBA Begins by Decale: 12:24pm On Feb 17, 2019
Roland17:
J. Tatum win the skills challenge.
#greenrunsdeep

The only title Celtics can win...

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 12:37pm On Feb 17, 2019
Decale:

The only title Celtics can win...

Coming from a fan whose only representative to Charlotte is "Benny the Bull" not even a player grin

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by aliondo: 12:47pm On Feb 17, 2019
cheesy Decale don dey come up oh... grin

Roland,take note
Re: The NBA Begins by Decale: 12:48pm On Feb 17, 2019
Roland17:

Coming from a fan whose only representative to Charlotte is "Benny the Bull" not even a player grin

You support Arsenal, 4th
You support Celtics, 4th

All your life 4th...

Don't worry, Kyrie will win MVP to add to your Skills title. Then your second round exit won't be that painful...

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 1:11pm On Feb 17, 2019
Decale:

You support Arsenal, 4th
You support Celtics, 4th

All your life 4th...

Don't worry, Kyrie will win MVP to add to your Skills title. Then your second round exit won't be that painful...

The Bulls are so dedicated to tanking that they even Tank in the NBA summer league. grin grin

I can imagine you wake up in tank mode everyday.

The bulls have the easiest job to do in the NBA and that is to tank, yet you are still terrible at tanking.

Keep the tank bro! grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 4:11pm On Feb 17, 2019
Only room for one GOAT. Happy 56th

3 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 5:03pm On Feb 17, 2019
SmooshCHN:
What a joke. grin
But he was wrongfully denied employment. He is an activist not a martyr. Don't see why he isn't due compensation for what happened

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 5:42pm On Feb 17, 2019
Roland17:

This is coming from someone who recently said he wants to own an NBA team. Bron is not doing himself any good with some of his recent public actions and comments.

I felt the cause Karp was fighting and kneeling for was good and justifiable but he lost focus as soon as it became monetized and politicized. I gave up on him after the Nike advert during the Super Bowl. To imagine they were calling Malcom Jenkins a sell out because he chooses to do things differently. I love to hear Jason Whitlock’s view about this because he has been very consistent about his dislike for the way Karp did his thing.

Hopefully the money is worth everything him and Reid lost.
No this is where you guys are missing the point. The aftermath of his kneeling is what turned him to a social activist. The sheer outrage of people and their refusal to acknowledge the validity of his respectful protest led to all of this.

Do you expect someone who was wrongfully denied employment to not fight for their work benefits? Eric Reid was 'random' drug tested 7 times. I'm not sure he played more than 10 weeks

Is this an organization you should let go scot-free? No way Jose

If the likes of Nike jump on his gesture to boost their PR and CSR optics that's on them not Kap. Getting paid by Nike and not the primary offender is hustling backwards
Re: The NBA Begins by etidy: 2:37am On Feb 18, 2019
Na wa oh! The announcer doing the intro is just blaring out 3 time nba champ, 1 Time NBA champ etc... If you don't got a ring hide your face grin. That's still the holy grail of NBA greatness.

3 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 3:09am On Feb 18, 2019
That Curry/ Gianis combination has to be one of the best I have seen in an All Star game in a long time.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by hardeycute(m): 4:53am On Feb 18, 2019
Water is wer grin

Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 5:03am On Feb 18, 2019
KD always shows up! Dude is always on cheat mode whenever there is something at stake. grin

Congrats KD, well deserved MVP
Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 5:28am On Feb 18, 2019
awon enemies...waiting for team lebron to go down. but baba God no gree dem. a40 i see u angry
Re: The NBA Begins by KNIGHTBlaed(m): 7:28am On Feb 18, 2019
birdman:
awon enemies...waiting for team lebron to go down. but baba God no gree dem. a40 i see u angry

Everyone expected Lebron's team to win tho. Na them be fav going into the game
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 11:01am On Feb 18, 2019
birdman:
It would have been a shame on LeBron if that team didn't win despite having the far better squad. I didn't expect the contest to be this close sef
Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 8:07pm On Feb 18, 2019
Celtics back in the picture for AD, just keep Kyrie and they now have the group work to compete for championships. All Danny Ainge should be praying for is that the Knicks should not get the overall 1st round pick.
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 8:23pm On Feb 18, 2019
Khanben:
Celtics back in the picture for AD, just keep Kyrie and they now have the group work to compete for championships. All Danny Ainge should be praying for is that the Knicks should not get the overall 1st round pick.

I agree. I don't think we can win or get to the finals without Kyrie, that is my take. I have heard so many people say we lay better without him and I just laugh. Rozier cannot be trusted with leading the team from the point, he makes too many irrational decisions with the ball especially when he does not keep it simple. We saw what happened last year after Kyrie went down. If Kyrie played that final series against the Cavs, even on one foot, we would make the finals. Kyrie's clutch play is very important especially during tight games and that is what the postseason brings. We keep Kyrie and somehow keep Tatum and I am satisfied, irrespective of AD's landing spot. I would hate to lose Tatum because of AD.

The Celtics have to make a big move now and Ainge knows that. If that is AD then we must be sure it is long termed. The Knicks are doing everything right about tanking for the 1st pick of the draft.
Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 10:09pm On Feb 18, 2019
Roland17:

I agree. I don't think we can win or get to the finals without Kyrie, that is my take. I have heard so many people say we lay better without him and I just laugh. Rozier cannot be trusted with leading the team from the point, he makes too many irrational decisions with the ball especially when he does not keep it simple. We saw what happened last year after Kyrie went down. If Kyrie played that final series against the Cavs, even on one foot, we would make the finals. Kyrie's clutch play is very important especially during tight games and that is what the postseason brings. We keep Kyrie and somehow keep Tatum and I am satisfied, irrespective of AD's landing spot. I would hate to lose Tatum because of AD.

The Celtics have to make a big move now and Ainge knows that. If that is AD then we must be sure it is long termed. The Knicks are doing everything right about tanking for the 1st pick of the draft.

If AD will sign long term then trading Tatum makes sense. Tatum himself said 'i would trade me for AD'.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by Tundesam923(m): 10:23pm On Feb 19, 2019
Hmmm. Tatum could be a franchise cornerstone. I would think carefully before trading Tatum... especially when there is no assurance that AD signs a Max extension with the Celtics if/when they trade for him
Re: The NBA Begins by Tundesam923(m): 10:30pm On Feb 19, 2019
Even with Kyrie, there is no assurance Celtics reach the Eastern conference finals. Toronto, and the bucks would have something to say about that. Don't trust the sixers!!! The fit, and chemistry is not just there yet
Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 11:07pm On Feb 19, 2019
Tundesam923:
Even with Kyrie, there is no assurance Celtics reach the Eastern conference finals. Toronto, and the bucks would have something to say about that. Don't trust the sixers!!! The fit, and chemistry is not just there yet

Waiting to see Mirotic play for the Bucks, but I agree Toronto and Milwaukee have a team where every body knows their role. For the sixers IMO they fit especially their starting 5, but chemistry and egos will be their problem.
All things said and done the Celtics still have the best closer in the East with Kyrie, if the other players can accept their roles and do their job the Celtics still have a chance

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by Tundesam923(m): 11:22pm On Feb 19, 2019
[quote author=Khanben post=75909326]

Waiting to see Mirotic play for the Bucks, but I agree Toronto and Milwaukee have a team where every body knows their role. For the sixers IMO they fit especially their starting 5, but chemistry and egos will be their problem.
All things said and done the Celtics still have the best closer in the East with Kyrie, if the other players can accept their roles and do their job the Celtics still have a chance.

Kyrie? Best closer? What about having the best player on the floor when you play against Celtics, becos that's what Giannis and kawhi are...both would be the best player in a series against the Celtics.There is a perception Abt Irving that I don't get. Is it becos of the otherworldly ball handling skills? That gives me an air of invisibility in clutch situations or becos he made that 3 pointer against the warriors nba final 2016 or what? ]
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 11:25pm On Feb 19, 2019
Tundesam923:
Hmmm. Tatum could be a franchise cornerstone. I would think carefully before trading Tatum... especially when there is no assurance that AD signs a Max extension with the Celtics if/when they trade for him
I just dey laugh Boston. They have injury prone Kyrie and want to gut their roster for injury prone Davis. If I were Ainge any trade involving Tatum I would just hang up the phone.

It's better if they give them picks and maybe Brown and Hayward
Re: The NBA Begins by Tundesam923(m): 11:30pm On Feb 19, 2019
Kyrie is great! No hating on the brother, but that "closer" narrative is wearing thin...and am not sure he deserves. There is a great article on bleacher report on the best closers this season. And Kyrie is maybe what 4 or 5.
Re: The NBA Begins by Tundesam923(m): 11:33pm On Feb 19, 2019
[quote author=A40 post=75909707]I just dey laugh Boston. They have injury prone Kyrie and want to gut their roster for injury prone Davis. If I were Ainge any trade involving Tatum I would just hang up the phone.

It's better if they give them picks and maybe Brown and Hayward.
[Exactly!!! That's just a bad outcome all around and the upside of a Tatum; the physical tools, can defend multiple positions, score at every level...would rather trade Irving than him]
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 11:34pm On Feb 19, 2019
Lool don't remind me of 2016 abeg. Steph really went for 7 assists and 12 turnovers the final 3 games and shot 6/19 in Game 7. Top 5 MVP chokejobs in league history
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 11:35pm On Feb 19, 2019
Tundesam923:

Naah you don't trade Kyrie. Kyrie is supposed to be the bait to bring on AD. Give them Hayward, Smart, Brown and picks
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 11:45pm On Feb 19, 2019
Tundesam923:
Kyrie is great! No hating on the brother, but that "closer" narrative is wearing thin...and am not sure he deserves. There is a great article on bleacher report on the best closers this season. And Kyrie is maybe what 4 or 5.

Please stop it already with the bashing. Bron does not win his 3rd championship without Clutch Kyrie, that’s a fact that even Bron knows. Watch the last 2 minutes of all the finals series, all roads led to Kyrie.

4th or 5th in a league with over 400 players is not considered clutch or a closer? My brother abeg fear God.
Re: The NBA Begins by Tundesam923(m): 11:46pm On Feb 19, 2019
[quote author=A40 post=75909930]Naah you don't trade Kyrie. Kyrie is supposed to be the bait to bring on AD. Give them Hayward, Smart, Brown and picks
[would that be enough for you if you were the GM of the new Orleans pelicans? Really? Maybe the picks? And I might be intrigued Abt what brown could be...but the others? Not so much. Smart would not move the needle for me at all. ND Hayward? If he can be "hayward" of the Utah jazz.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1080) (1081) (1082) (1083) (1084) (1085) (1086) ... (2277) (Reply)

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.