Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,002 members, 7,821,510 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:07 PM

The NBA Begins - Sports (2178) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The NBA Begins (1633447 Views)

Two Nigerian Players In The NBA Finals / Miami Heats Wins The NBA Final / Unbelievable! Kobe Bryant The Nba Player Of The Decade: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2175) (2176) (2177) (2178) (2179) (2180) (2181) ... (2217) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 7:59pm On Feb 04
chic2pimp:

Social media calls them "Nostalgia Merchants" and I tend to agree. For some reason they think we did not watch those game ourselves. Heck even if you did not, you can easily re watch the whole game in it's entirety.

This is something I also had to deal with before I read studies on how bad eyewitness testimony and memory recall actually are in reality.
So what I do now is actually go watch these old games and you are right, it's all nostalgia. I remember during the pandemic, I watched the Bulls vs. Suns finals games, and the whole series was tailor made for the Bulls to win. The Suns had a team which had no way of slowing down the best scorer that they were facing
They had no interior defense because they played small, every wing defender big enough to guard MJ was too slow, and the ones quick enough was too little. Personally I came away with more respect for Sir Charles after that series, he was constantly being doubled by Pippen and Grant or one of them with MJ showing help and he still took them 6 games with his 2nd option being an inconsistent mess all through the series.

PS: I recently watched a scoring cut of the Heats Tim Hardaway Sr game 7 against the Knicks. What he did that day was hailed as one of the best game 7s ever. But after watching it 3x, his performance that day is what Steph does every other day, for those who keep saying Steph couldn't play in the 90s that game is a window to how dominant he would have been. Those rugged hard nosed Knicks had no answer for someone who was pulling up from 23ft

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 8:51pm On Feb 04
Khanben:

Every metric and even the so called salty old heads all agree that if it just comes to shooting, the average nba player today is far better than it has ever been.
People like you always talk about 3pts spamming, I tend to watch either scoring cuts or highlights of 90s 2000s or 2010 basketball and as far as I can see all the emphasis on 3pts has done is remove those stupid 19ft-22ft long twos and replace them with 3s. You watch and see more 3s I watch and see less long 2s. Shooting a 19ft-22th midrange at 38% when you can take shoot 3s at 35% has always been the most stupid shoot selection choice I have ever seen.
Also you act like Embiid is the first player who plays great in regular season games and then drop off in post season games, why didn't you name Luka, Jokic, J murray, Kawhi, Steph, Giannis,etc all players consistently raise their performance levels come playoff time.
Peyton manning was and still is the greatest regular season QB of all time, but come postseason his play took a dip, same with Thierry Henry, greatest striker in EPL history, but he more often than not came up small in the biggest of games.
So it is very possible Embiid has a big game block, hopefully he gets back healthy and puts that possibility to bed this season with a great playoffs run.

PS: As for cherry picking games, a 90s finals game had a final scoreline of 96-54, not a first round or regular season game but a FINALS game.
If any of today's star played on either side of a match-up of this they would be buried with abuse

What is this food you're cooking like this? cheesy
Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 10:17pm On Feb 04
steady986:

What is this food you're cooking like this? cheesy

No lies were written baba grin grin cheesy grin

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 10:26pm On Feb 04
Khanben:

Every metric and even the so called salty old heads all agree that if it just comes to shooting, the average nba player today is far better than it has ever been.
People like you always talk about 3pts spamming, I tend to watch either scoring cuts or highlights of 90s 2000s or 2010 basketball and as far as I can see all the emphasis on 3pts has done is remove those stupid 19ft-22ft long twos and replace them with 3s. You watch and see more 3s I watch and see less long 2s. Shooting a 19ft-22th midrange at 38% when you can take shoot 3s at 35% has always been the most stupid shoot selection choice I have ever seen.
Because they take more 3s. It's purely down to sheer volume of attempts.

Again I used the Marc Gasol and Brook Lopez example. We will never know if this era has better shooters cos the previous era did not take 3s. Dillon Brooks spamming 6 3s a game today does not mean he's a better shooter than the generation before him. It just means he spams more 3s

There's a downside to taking huge volume of 3s. What you have is guys good at shooting a bunch of 3s and not much else. Just go and ask Roland what his eye has been seeing with his team. Any night their 3 is not falling the game is lost already. They have no counter move

Bigs cannot post, wings have no midrange game. No counter when the 3pt spam machine is not working.

It's not coincidence that the team that took the 2nd fewest 3pters in the playoffs went all the way.

Khanben:

Also you act like Embiid is the first player who plays great in regular season games and then drop off in post season games, why didn't you name Luka, Jokic, J murray, Kawhi, Steph, Giannis,etc all players consistently raise their performance levels come playoff time.
Peyton manning was and still is the greatest regular season QB of all time, but come postseason his play took a dip, same with Thierry Henry, greatest striker in EPL history, but he more often than not came up small in the biggest of games.
So it is very possible Embiid has a big game block, hopefully he gets back healthy and puts that possibility to bed this season with a great playoffs run.
What do all these names have in common? Besides Steph and Luka there are no 3pt spammers there, the rest are more of a throwback to the players of yore. You didn't add Jimmy Butler

Further proof that come playoff time the players who go back to the previous era are the ones getting the most success

Embiid not playing like a big is why he's not been able to dominate come postseason

Khanben:

PS: As for cherry picking games, a 90s finals game had a final scoreline of 96-54, not a first round or regular season game but a FINALS game.
If any of today's star played on either side of a match-up of this they would be buried with abuse
And? That era was never marketed as the golden age of offense. Lool I can bring up more similar low scoreline from the 90s to the late 00s.

Spurs and Pistons played 84-69
81-74
Lakers vs Celtics in 2010 89-67
Lakers vs Pistons 88-68 in 04

That is what this era would also look like on bad shooting nights or nights teams actually played some defense and tried to stop their opponents. Bottomline just because you take 45 3s a night as against the guys that only took 10 doesn't make you better.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 10:33pm On Feb 04
I will still say it anywhere sha. Spamming 3s is the only thing that stands this era out from previous eras. Guys are merely jacking up more 3pters
Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 10:48pm On Feb 04
A40:

Because they take more 3s. It's purely down to sheer volume of attempts.

Again I used the Marc Gasol and Brook Lopez example. We will never know if this era has better shooters cos the previous era did not take 3s. Dillon Brooks spamming 6 3s a game today does not mean he's a better shooter than the generation before him. It just means he spams more 3s

There's a downside to taking huge volume of 3s. What you have is guys good at shooting a bunch of 3s and not much else. Just go and ask Roland what his eye has been seeing with his team. Any night their 3 is not falling the game is lost already. They have no counter move

Bigs cannot post, wings have no midrange game. No counter when the 3pt spam machine is not working.

It's not coincidence that the team that took the 2nd fewest 3pters in the playoffs went all the way.

What do all these names have in common? Besides Steph and Luka there are no 3pt spammers there, the rest are more of a throwback to the players of yore. You didn't add Jimmy Butler

Further proof that come playoff time the players who go back to the previous era are the ones getting the most success

Embiid not playing like a big is why he's not been able to dominate come postseason

And? That era was never marketed as the golden age of offense. Lool I can bring up more similar low scoreline from the 90s to the late 00s.

Spurs and Pistons played 84-69
81-74
Lakers vs Celtics in 2010 89-67
Lakers vs Pistons 88-68 in 04

That is what this era would also look like on bad shooting nights or nights teams actually played some defense and tried to stop their opponents. Bottomline just because you take 45 3s a night as against the guys that only took 10 doesn't make you better.

You keep seeing more 3s, I see less long 2s.
Why has the bad 3s shooting night not happened in a finals game that led to a 20+ point blowout.
As for Dillon Brooks, in the 90s/2000s/2010s a player like him instead of taking 6 3s in a game he would have taken 6 very long midrange shots ranging from 17ft-22ft, you would have no problems with those midrange shots but every metric would say it is better to take the 3s than take those idiotic long 2s. Try watching the atrocity that was the two Nets finals runs and see the level of long midrange spamming that was just atrocious.

PS: You say Denver took the least 3s without acknowledging that they have the best big man in the league and that the team that took the least 3s lost in the 2nd round.
Finally, in the nba the more volume of shots taken the worse the efficiency, so players who are statistical bad at taking 3s in small volumes don't become more efficient at huge volume. That is why guys like Steph are considered freaks of nature, because he can take them at such volume and still remain very efficient
Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 10:49pm On Feb 04
A40:
I will still say it anywhere sha. Spamming 3s is the only thing that stands this era out from previous eras. Guys are merely jacking up more 3pters

What of the previous eras spamming of long 2s were those good.
Nba.com stats show that on average drives to the basket now is like 6-8 % points higher than 2013-14 which is the farthest they have the data for.
So we know for a fact that players get to the basket more these days, we also know that they take more 3pts shots, so it is the midrange that got short changed.
My opinion is that if you take all those inefficient longs 2s that used to be the norm and compress them into 3pts shots, that you will find that there is negligible difference in shots taken. The main difference is that players have been advised to jettison the very inefficient long 2, for the more efficient 3.
If players are going to make long 2s at 37%, they are better off taking the 3s at even 30%.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 2:48am On Feb 05
Khanben:

What of the previous eras spamming of long 2s were those good.
Nba.com stats show that on average drives to the basket now is like 6-8 % points higher than 2013-14 which is the farthest they have the data for.
So we know for a fact that players get to the basket more these days, we also know that they take more 3pts shots, so it is the midrange that got short changed.
My opinion is that if you take all those inefficient longs 2s that used to be the norm and compress them into 3pts shots, that you will find that there is negligible difference in shots taken. The main difference is that players have been advised to jettison the very inefficient long 2, for the more efficient 3.
If players are going to make long 2s at 37%, they are better off taking the 3s at even 30%.
Bro there's nothing entertaining about watching a 3pt spam off every night

Mike Malone said it along with many others. We all agreed the last all star game was the worst we had ever seen.

This so called long 2pt talk you keep going on about. There was defenders and shot alterers in the paint. You couldn't just drive to the rim willy nilly

Physicality was allowed. You could actually hand check and make people work for buckets instead of a lot of the sham we see today

My point is today's era what we have is guys who just bomb 3s, no flair, no footwork, no finesse. No go to moves.

A guy like Ginobili, Tony Parker, T-Mac, AI, Baron Davis would all be shoehorned to 3pt spammers today. Tim Duncan, Hakeem, David Robinson. Would be spamming the 3 ball

It's why nobody particularly stands out. They all play the same

Skilled midrange guys are not shooting 37% from 2 anyway. Not quite sure what you're on about. Even Kobe that was taking tonnes of contested 2s. Cos you actually had to play defense wasn't putting such a bad percentage

A made 2 still better than a missed 3 nonetheless. Just ask the Rockets in 2019

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 3:24am On Feb 05
Khanben:

You keep seeing more 3s, I see less long 2s.
Why has the bad 3s shooting night not happened in a finals game that led to a 20+ point blowout.
As for Dillon Brooks, in the 90s/2000s/2010s a player like him instead of taking 6 3s in a game he would have taken 6 very long midrange shots ranging from 17ft-22ft, you would have no problems with those midrange shots but every metric would say it is better to take the 3s than take those idiotic long 2s. Try watching the atrocity that was the two Nets finals runs and see the level of long midrange spamming that was just atrocious.
Duhhh. Smaller sample size. When did teams start taking 45 3s a game

Final score doesn't always determine the closeness or competitiveness of a contest either

Dillon Brooks on a bad night which is most nights is an offensive black hole regardless.

The Nets as a whole lacked equal talent to compete with the Lakers took the Spurs to 6 though and were massively outgunned. Reducing their low scoring output to long midrange shots is lazy.

I keep telling you the physicality allowed from the mid late 90s to 00s the players today will not be able to cope.

How games are whistled and what and what isn't allowed factor hugely and can transform what you're watching to a completely different sport. A Flagrant 2 today is a clean hard foul from Ben Wallace in 2004

Khanben:

PS: You say Denver took the least 3s without acknowledging that they have the best big man in the league and that the team that took the least 3s lost in the 2nd round.
Finally, in the nba the more volume of shots taken the worse the efficiency, so players who are statistical bad at taking 3s in small volumes don't become more efficient at huge volume. That is why guys like Steph are considered freaks of nature, because he can take them at such volume and still remain very efficient
Exactly. They didn't fall for the 3 ball spam ball okey doke. They understood the need for a balance scoring style

The team that took the least 3s lost to who though? The team that took the 2nd least 3s. And who took them the furthest? Who dragged their series to at least 6 games

Last part of your post is patently false. Higher volume means more wiggle room and margin for error. A notorious 3pt spammer like James Harden can miss his first 6 3pt attempts make his next 4 and they say he shot 40% from 3. If he stopped at 7 they will say he only shot 15% from the field

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/lopezbr01.html

If Brook Lopez had retired in 15/16 the verdict would have been he couldn't shoot. Meanwhile there's really nothing to it besides attempting them
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 3:34am On Feb 05
Udoka still playing Jalen Green big minutes is coaching malpractice. Blud is tracking towards bust trajectory
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 5:48am On Feb 05
Patrick Mahomes Snr is just a selfish man at this point. I mean, I don’t care the demon you are battling, it is the week leading to SB Sunday and you get caught DWI. You couldn’t restrain yourself for a week, at least for the sake of your son?
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 5:49am On Feb 05
And Adrian Griffin was the problem. I better be watching Giannis get disrespectful and calling out coaching.
Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 5:58am On Feb 05
A40:

Duhhh. Smaller sample size. When did teams start taking 45 3s a game

Final score doesn't always determine the closeness or competitiveness of a contest either

Dillon Brooks on a bad night which is most nights is an offensive black hole regardless.

The Nets as a whole lacked equal talent to compete with the Lakers took the Spurs to 6 though and were massively outgunned. Reducing their low scoring output to long midrange shots is lazy.

I keep telling you the physicality allowed from the mid late 90s to 00s the players today will not be able to cope.

How games are whistled and what and what isn't allowed factor hugely and can transform what you're watching to a completely different sport. A Flagrant 2 today is a clean hard foul from Ben Wallace in 2004

Exactly. They didn't fall for the 3 ball spam ball okey doke. They understood the need for a balance scoring style

The team that took the least 3s lost to who though? The team that took the 2nd least 3s. And who took them the furthest? Who dragged their series to at least 6 games

Last part of your post is patently false. Higher volume means more wiggle room and margin for error. A notorious 3pt spammer like James Harden can miss his first 6 3pt attempts make his next 4 and they say he shot 40% from 3. If he stopped at 7 they will say he only shot 15% from the field

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/lopezbr01.html

If Brook Lopez had retired in 15/16 the verdict would have been he couldn't shoot. Meanwhile there's really nothing to it besides attempting them

Brook couldn't shoot when he came into the league, he learnt and improved.
The most ridiculous thing I have just heard is that volume of shots improves a players efficiency. All the metrics show that an inefficient player's percentages reduce with more volume of shots taken. That is why nobody just uses PPG to measure a player, we also use efficiency.
We have seen many a average player on bad teams average above 20pts per game by jacking up as many shots as they can
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 6:15am On Feb 05
Boston will always be home for you M. Smart!
Re: The NBA Begins by greypencils: 4:48pm On Feb 05
steady986:
Hahahahahahahahaha!!!

So the problem has been LeBron and AD all this while. Who would have thought? grin This is Reaves and DLo's team now.
I don't know about AD but it is Forsho LeBron's. Dude has been playing PG when he is not one, holding the ball for unnecessarily long before passing and making very bad shot selections. Plus, he is a defensive minus. He is last to track back when he misses his shot.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by chic2pimp(m): 12:52am On Feb 06
Khanben:

This is something I also had to deal with before I read studies on how bad eyewitness testimony and memory recall actually are in reality.
So what I do now is actually go watch these old games and you are right, it's all nostalgia. I remember during the pandemic, I watched the Bulls vs. Suns finals games, and the whole series was tailor made for the Bulls to win. The Suns had a team which had no way of slowing down the best scorer that they were facing
They had no interior defense because they played small, every wing defender big enough to guard MJ was too slow, and the ones quick enough was too little. Personally I came away with more respect for Sir Charles after that series, he was constantly being doubled by Pippen and Grant or one of them with MJ showing help and he still took them 6 games with his 2nd option being an inconsistent mess all through the series.

PS: I recently watched a scoring cut of the Heats Tim Hardaway Sr game 7 against the Knicks. What he did that day was hailed as one of the best game 7s ever. But after watching it 3x, his performance that day is what Steph does every other day, for those who keep saying Steph couldn't play in the 90s that game is a window to how dominant he would have been. Those rugged hard nosed Knicks had no answer for someone who was pulling up from 23ft

That is why we call them Nostalgia Merchants. Imagine thinking Steph or any all time Great will be dominate any era of basketball. Steph was greater than EVERY 90s guard bar a certain Michael Jordan.

If a player like Reggie Miller whose game is built around mastering off-ball movement and historically good shooting can dominate in the 90s, a guy like Steph Curry—who is somehow still outwardly better at shooting and moving without the ball, and is so much better at finishing makes a recipe utter domination. Basically Steph is so much better than Reggie at what He(Reggie) does best it's a joke then add in the fact Steph's passing and Ball Handling(Top 3 all time imo) is so good, Reggie can only dream of coming anywhere close in two lifetimes.
Re: The NBA Begins by Skrrrrrrr: 3:55am On Feb 06
Just wondering what it would take for Kerr to Bench Klay Thompson and Draymond. Klay especially. How can you score 8 points in 30 minutes as a starter in today's highly offensive NBA?
Green atleast anchors the Defence.
What does Klay do?
Re: The NBA Begins by NEZON(m): 11:27am On Feb 06
Please who can send code to be stake on sport bet,I don't knw how predict volleyball.Thanks 08106292069
Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 12:09pm On Feb 06
greypencils:
I don't know about AD but it is Forsho LeBron's. Dude has been playing PG when he is not one, holding the ball for unnecessarily long before passing and making very bad shot selections. Plus, he is a defensive minus. He is last to track back when he misses his shot.

Bron can be a good PG at times so I don't mind. But by and large, what he gives us on the offensive end is enough to overlook his shortcomings on the defensive end
Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 12:21pm On Feb 06
Skrrrrrrr:
Just wondering what it would take for Kerr to Bench Klay Thompson and Draymond. Klay especially. How can you score 8 points in 30 minutes as a starter in today's highly offensive NBA?
Green atleast anchors the Defence.
What does Klay do?

I don't think you should look at Klay as the second option anymore. You have Kuminga who has been tearing it up lately. Podzeimski has turned it up too. Klay is now more or less a role player. And what a luxury it is to have Klay as a role player smiley
Re: The NBA Begins by benji93: 6:11pm On Feb 06
There you go again, as usual. Building up to your 'they are stacked" narrative. cheesy grin.Luxury, based on history, or based on performance?
steady986:

I don't think you should look at Klay as the second option anymore. You have Kuminga who has been tearing it up lately. Podzeimski has turned it up too. Klay is now more or less a role player. And what a luxury it is to have Klay as a role player smiley

3 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 8:08pm On Feb 06
benji93:
There you go again, as usual. Building up to your 'they are stacked" narrative. cheesy grin.Luxury, based on history, or based on performance?

Based on recent history. Klay might not be giving you much right now but Klay is still Klay. Same with Draymond. They've both won 4 championships and they were a major reason why they did. Kerr still believes in these guys, and so should you. He has stuck with Draymond despite all his shortcomings. They waited two long years to get Klay back from that double injury, and you think they'd dump him now because of a few months of poor form? grin Wake up bro, this team has winners and people who know how to win championships. Did you think you could win a championship in 2022? As long as these guys are healthy you have a real chance of winning.

But if you guys want to offload Dray, which I doubt una go do, I go like get am. He's the type of person we need on our team.
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 3:20pm On Feb 07
Where is the outcry you hypocrites! Giannis has suddenly gone dumb and can’t talk…Where is the ranting? You can’t give what you don’t have.. If this was AG, he would be all over the news dawging AG but the entire locker room has become a grave yard.

The Bucks are lucky Embiid is out, otherwise, they should slip even further… Watch Giannis demand for a trade if they don’t make it to the conference finals.
Re: The NBA Begins by Skrrrrrrr: 3:33pm On Feb 07
Who gonna stop the Clippers though?

Whoever makes it out of the western conference between Denver and the Clippers would be NBA champions.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 7:24pm On Feb 07
Skrrrrrrr:
Who gonna stop the Clippers though?

Whoever makes it out of the western conference between Denver and the Clippers would be NBA champions.

Both teams healthy, I like the Lakers' chance against the Clippers.
Re: The NBA Begins by etidy: 7:34pm On Feb 07
steady986:

grin grin it must be igbo cheesy
The clipper will cook the lakers, better pray for OkC grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 9:17pm On Feb 07
etidy:

grin grin it must be igbo cheesy
The clipper will cook the lakers, better pray for OkC grin

Playoff basketball is not regular season
Re: The NBA Begins by etidy: 4:25am On Feb 08
etidy:
If I am the warriors front office , there is no way I am trusting Steve kerr's judgement again.

You have this stud (kuminga), perennial all star talent on your team but you will keep benching him for silly players like Anthony lamb and cory Joseph, the guy went a whole 3 quarters without missing a shot but you kept him on the bench while choking a 17 points lead. You didn't even give him a chance until he express his frustrations to the press.

Moody is practically out of the rotation and I can bet that he's a better player than Klay Thompson right now.

Kerr needs to go, same with klay and draymond, thanks for their service.

I know it's the sixers but up till recently steve kerr was saying Kuminga and Wiggins couldn't play together and would rather play a three guard line up of Cp3, Klay Steph that has zero athleticism, zero rebounding and defense.
Steve kerr you are on fraud alert angry

3 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by Skrrrrrrr: 5:51am On Feb 08
steady986:

Make una get out abeg....

The difference between una and warriors no much. Second round na una ceiling.
Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 9:06am On Feb 08
Skrrrrrrr:

Make una get out abeg....

The difference between una and warriors no much. Second round na una ceiling.

Lol. I dey sure say I go beat Warriors if we meet grin
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 3:56am On Feb 09
This trade deadline just dey somehow. Most teams just moving laterally

I dey sorry for Bucks, you no see coach hire you go carry Papa Ajasco grin

Now Dame is injured, Middleton injured. I would not be surprised if Giannis demands a trade in the offseason.

Can understand wanting to do right by Middleton but that extension was an egregious mistake if they wanted to remain in contention

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 6:32am On Feb 09
Lol, Lakers/Nuggets went down how it has always gone. Tight in the final minutes of the game only for the Nuggets to run away with it in the very end. Would have loved the win but it was always going to be difficult with the array of injuries we have. I loved the effort from Hayes in the 4th quarter.

There's this extra energy that Jamal Murray brings whenever he's playing the Lakers. It's not normal grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (2175) (2176) (2177) (2178) (2179) (2180) (2181) ... (2217) (Reply)

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.