Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,012 members, 7,828,554 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:18 AM

The NBA Begins - Sports (2181) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The NBA Begins (1638733 Views)

Two Nigerian Players In The NBA Finals / Miami Heats Wins The NBA Final / Unbelievable! Kobe Bryant The Nba Player Of The Decade: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2178) (2179) (2180) (2181) (2182) (2183) (2184) ... (2227) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The NBA Begins by greypencils: 9:56am On Feb 19
Honlucas:
NBA all stars game should be cancelled if the players can't play defense.
Wtf was that .

I'm writing a letter to Adam silver before the day runs out.
We suppose gather signatures on top this matter. This year's ASG is the worst ever. What's is the use of gathering people to play basketball when you are not playing basketball? Basketball wasn't played last night. It was horrible to watch.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 2:33pm On Feb 19
Honlucas:
Wtf was that .

Why is this an issue now? It is a reflection of what the game is today. Few pages ago, some folks using the offensive prowess of this era to support the false narrative that the game being better and I was just cracking up. Fam, the league has been watered down to the bones.

In the past, hard nosed defensive players made the All-Star team from both conferences but not anymore. I couldn’t point to one single player who made the All Star because of his defensive attributes.

Even players who receive defensive player of the year dont make the All Star. Guys are putting up 50, 60 like it’s the new 30. Half time scores are going up to 70 and you are shocked at the final score of the All Star game?

The most defense you are going to watch is going to come during the playoffs and isn’t going to be exceptional but at least better than the regular season.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The NBA Begins by etidy: 5:24pm On Feb 19
Roland17:

Why is this an issue now? It is a reflection of what the game is today. Few pages ago, some folks using the offensive prowess of this era to support the false narrative that the game being better and I was just cracking up. Fam, the league has been watered down to the bones.

In the past, hard nosed defensive players made the All-Star team from both conferences but not anymore. I couldn’t point to one single player who made the All Star because of his defensive attributes.

Even players who receive defensive player of the year dont make the All Star. Guys are putting up 50, 60 like it’s the new 30. Half time scores are going up to 70 and you are shocked at the final score of the All Star game?

The most defense you are going to watch is going to come during the playoffs and isn’t going to be exceptional but at least better than the regular season.

100% facts.

I also think, the money is part of the problem.
All these guys are multi-millionaires, they are ceos in their own right. None of them is willing to risk the bag for one dunk contest or so called meaningless game.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 9:27am On Feb 20
Just cancel the game already.

It's turn to a 3pt spam off. Shey they told us this era's players are the most skilled yenyenyen

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 11:25am On Feb 20

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 11:53pm On Feb 20
Honlucas:
Wtf was that .

Isnt that what they say the fans wanted? They even have LED floors now, so the game can look like candy crush grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 11:54pm On Feb 20
A40:
Just cancel the game already.

It's turn to a 3pt spam off. Shey they told us this era's players are the most skilled yenyenyen

They are, but the business side of it is ruining things. Its almost getting to the point you have to go to the streets to watch a decent game.

Lets not take the "more skilled" thing personal. It doesnt take away from the greatness of MJ, Magic, etc. Truth is the game has advanced, many of these guys are playing only bball from as early as 5, and they know a lot of tricks. The problem is the mindset is still not like the greats. We have never seen anything like peak Harden. But the guy is as soft as charmin toilet paper. Lets not talk about Kawhi or KAT or ...
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 12:15am On Feb 21
birdman:

They are, but the business side of it is ruining things. Its almost getting to the point you have to go to the streets to watch a decent game.

Lets not take the "more skilled" thing personal. It doesnt take away from the greatness of MJ, Magic, etc. Truth is the game has advanced, many of these guys are playing only bball from as early as 5, and they know a lot of tricks. The problem is the mindset is still not like the greats.
Bruhh. All I'm seeing in these games is a 3pt spam off. There's a reason all the metrics and ratings are down in the supposedly most skilled era. It's not the same with the NFL it's other main competitor

This is not about Jordan and Magic. This is the cold and bitter truth. Nothing is exhilarating to me about watching Dame spam 26 3s at an all star game.

When you want to talk about skills I saw prime Jason Kidd, Tony Parker, Kevin Johnson, Steve Nash, Stephon Marbury, Steve Francis aka Franchise, Jason Williams (white chocolate) and I saw far more skills, finesse and pizazz than I am seeing today.

Peak Harden? Lmaoo. How the hell does his game translate in the playoffs? I would rather watch all those guys I listed above play than James Harden. There's nothing remotely pleasing about his game for me and most fans

KAT? That 7ft 3pt spamming merchant that goes ghost come playoff time? Anyway I'm not surprised you're the one who compared him to KG

It's ironic that even Kawhi you mention that's the only credible player is a throwback to the previous era

When we are talking strictly guard play I can count on one hand today the guys I'm wowed by and enjoy seeing today. The rest all play the same spam spam spam 3s, budget Steph Curry basically. And the numbers agree with me that people are not feeling today's game like they used to

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The NBA Begins by FBS: 10:34am On Feb 21
Genuinely surprised that they didn't demand to take part in the All Star Slam Dunk contest?
After all what men can do, women can do.....

Not sure what was more irritating, the feminazzes bleating about everything and anything or the supposed to be men encouraging them and beating the same drum?

Attempted to watch the WN,BA playoffs/final....walking the dog or reciting the Greek alphabet would be more interesting.
And what was the point of the 3 point contest? undecided pfff...A good high school team will totally obliterate the WN,BA Champions.

We know money talks and all that but when did it all get to this stage? Can't both exist without the need to compare?

Anyways, expect similar stunts in F1 very soon. cheesy

As for the All Star game itself, never took it serious even for 1 second.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 4:46pm On Feb 21
Isn't itfunny that when we complain about 3 point spamming in this era, no one complains about Steph Curry, the master of the 3 points spamming grin To all, he's a great and wonderful player despite his 3pt spamming. And I kid you not, Steph Curry attempts the most 3s per game this season at 12. And he has averaged 11.3 per game since 2016. But when others spam 3s like him it's a bad thing. E be like na selective amnesia grin

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 5:13pm On Feb 21
steady986:
Isn't itfunny that when we complain about 3 point spamming in this era, no one complains about Steph Curry, the master of the 3 points spamming grin To all, he's a great and wonderful player despite his 3pt spamming. And I kid you not, Steph Curry attempts the most 3s per game this season at 12. And he has averaged 11.3 per game since 2016. But when others spam 3s like him it's a bad thing. E be like na selective amnesia grin

Its not spamming if you have the capability to make it and have 4 rings based on it. As we have seen, even Klay and Barnes were feeding off of him, and both have regressed with time so this is a skill specific to Curry that no one else in nba history has been able to do consistently.

The issue of spamming has to do with trying to use 3s to win a game versus actually playing the game, something Dame has always been notorious for. Curry actually plays the game, will run through multiple screens and try to get an easy bucket off glass to keep defenders honest.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The NBA Begins by Afromentalist: 9:57pm On Feb 21
Curry is definitely one of the greatest PG no doubt but he has done more harm than good to the beautiful game of Basketball.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 10:22pm On Feb 21
birdman:

Its not spamming if you have the capability to make it and have 4 rings based on it. As we have seen, even Klay and Barnes were feeding off of him, and both have regressed with time so this is a skill specific to Curry that no one else in nba history has been able to do consistently.

The issue of spamming has to do with trying to use 3s to win a game versus actually playing the game, something Dame has always been notorious for. Curry actually plays the game, will run through multiple screens and try to get an easy bucket off glass to keep defenders honest.

Lol, you're just buttressing my point. The vast skill of 3pt shooting suits Curry and Curry alone grin You sef listen to yourself na. 27 players are shooting 40% or better while attempting 5+ threes this season. Reduce the attempts to 4 and it's 40 players shooting 40%+. Kawhi and Luke Kennard are shooting 45%. Grayson Allen is shooting 48%. Guys in this era are actually better shooters and there's no other way to put it. Because this same Kawhi wasn't shooting 45% 5 or 6 years ago. They actually put in work in the gym to become better shooters

And for the second highlighted point, the game plan of GS under Curry is essentially to shoot 3s. That is how they win games, so for you to say that trying to use 3s to win a game is retrogressive is out of order. 3s were not made for GS alone. If GS could use it to win then so can other teams. The game has changed, and 3pt shooting is a key feature in today's game. And it would only increase.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 8:35pm On Feb 22
Since 3pt spamming became a thing. Only one team has gone on to win championships with it. It's not a coincidence that said team has a certain Steph Curry on it's roster.
Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 8:38pm On Feb 22
Na wah o, LeBron out vs GS. Smh
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 2:58am On Feb 23
I am on a work related trip to Chicago and my Celtics are also in town. I was able to get last minute tickets..
#GREENRUNSDEEP

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The NBA Begins by greypencils: 3:32am On Feb 23
Roland17:
I am on a work related trip to Chicago and my Celtics are also in town. I was able to get last minute tickets..
#GREENRUNSDEEP
Nice One
Re: The NBA Begins by larride(m): 8:04pm On Feb 23
Roland17:
#GREENRUNSDEEP

Awesome.
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 10:59pm On Feb 25
Halftime score

Lakers 63-72 Suns

And I am supposed to take this era serious? I understand Adam Silver is frustrated with the situation, especially after the Al Star game.

Let me also add that this halftime score is now normal in the league, so this isn’t like an anomaly.

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 11:55pm On Feb 25
Na wah o, refs. Only 8 FTs? How do you expect us to win games? You know we survive by FTs grin
Re: The NBA Begins by larride(m): 1:48am On Feb 26
Klay getting hot against Nugget.
Re: The NBA Begins by yinkeys(m): 2:07am On Feb 26
You guys in Nigeria that stay up all night watching sometimes boring NBA
It can be boring, they sometimes go on commercial breaks while the game is on.
I tried to keep up for years and stopped deceiving myself.
The game isn’t as interesting
Sometimes the games in the fiba World Cup or Olympics can be more entertaining because something is on the line grin
I doze off watching some nba games
Can’t say that for hockey, football, mma, volleyball, water polo, handball or tennis

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The NBA Begins by larride(m): 2:15am On Feb 26
yinkeys:
Sometimes the games in the fiba World Cup or Olympics can be more entertaining because something is on the line grin
Can’t say that for hockey, football, mma, volleyball, water polo, handball or tennis

You are right. Was watching Hawks v Magic before but the play was annoying to watch, missing easy basket and coach calling sub players like it's an ncaa game.
Re: The NBA Begins by yinkeys(m): 2:25am On Feb 26
larride:

You are right. Was watching Hawks v Magic before but the play was annoying to watch, missing easy basket and coach calling sub players like it's an ncaa game.
Finally, an honest basketball fan who agrees with me
Sometimes I wonder how basketballers make so much money in the millions when the views globally aren’t crazy high
NFL, NBA, Baseball don’t have crazy high viewership I believe
It’s funny when I hear Americans compare super bowl to champions league final or fifa world cup
Re: The NBA Begins by aliondo: 2:30am On Feb 26
yinkeys:

You're right bro.... wasn't easy staying up late to watch games....I think something is missing or lacking in today's NBA....Don't Know if it's right to say the quality or gameplay has reduced drastically.... maybe the guys here will give their own input...
Re: The NBA Begins by larride(m): 2:38am On Feb 26
Warriors has lost the last 6 straight games against Nugget. If they lose this, it will be 7 straight loss to the Nugget.

They sure will want to avoid Nugget come playoff
Re: The NBA Begins by larride(m): 3:31am On Feb 26
4 straight loss to Nuggets this season and 7 straight overall.

Warriors are currently Nuggets bitch
Re: The NBA Begins by kendrick9(m): 9:45am On Feb 26
aliondo:

You're right bro.... wasn't easy staying up late to watch games....I think something is missing or lacking in today's NBA....Don't Know if it's right to say the quality or gameplay has reduced drastically.... maybe the guys here will give their own input...
Apart from some few games, with the teams I'm vested in, yeah I find most games boring.
Too many calls, which means defence has been eradicated
And the timeouts are way too long
Teams like Hawks are just terrible viewing with their 3's.
NBA isn't fun as the Kobe era when I started getting into Bball.
Just waiting for the playoffs

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by Honlucas: 8:04pm On Feb 26
yinkeys:

Watching Lakers games last night I was so angry I have to go to bed .

Shooting useless 3's that won't enter.. if they drive in the box and score 2 point is better than wasting the ball for 3point..

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 5:13am On Feb 29
I don’t think Ajala can the irony in his hypocrisy. In January, Ajala came out and told the world Bronny can play for the Lakers now, easy.

Now you asking the world to leave your son alone after he did not even make the mock draft. In simple terms, he isn’t good enough to be a one and done. nobody thinks he would be drafted if he declared this year.

Man, you set your son to fail with your mouth. You can’t eat your cake and have it. I said it here last year that the only reason Bronny is a topic is because he is Ajala’s son. Otherwise, he isn’t an NBA player based on what we saw in high school and college this year.

He needs another year and hopefully, he can push and become a 2nd round pick in 2025.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (2178) (2179) (2180) (2181) (2182) (2183) (2184) ... (2227) (Reply)

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.