Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,296 members, 7,815,515 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:47 PM

The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 (33829 Views)

New Photo Of Patience Jonathan / Lol Caption This Photo Of Patience Jonathan And Rotimi Amaechi! / GEJ's Speeches Used Against Him In APC Sponsored Newspaper Adverts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by Akainzo(m): 8:41am On Dec 30, 2011
freecocoa:

The first lady sure makes a lot of blunders in english language but all you laughing about"ojukwu is dead but his manhood lives on" are kinda dumb.

That sentence is a 100% percent CORRECT,manhood is not only another name for the manliness,check your dictionaries,its also

THE STATE OF BEING A MAN(adult male or maturity)
TRADITIONAL MANLY QUALITIES.
THE STATE OF BEING HUMAN etc

Laugh at all her mistakes but the above is not one of them(maybe she got lucky) its just ironic to laugh at this when you don't even know the joke's on you.

On the above posts, even by the definitions you have enumerated, she is completely wrong!

i. State of being a man - You can only be in the state of being a man when you can perform the functions of a man, and except na by winch, Ojukwu cannot definitely continue to perform the functions of a man.
ii. traditional manly qualities - Which of them can Ojukwu continue to display? courage? Bravery? Protection of wife and family? Speech? or what is living on?
iii. State of being human - I need not say anything on this or does Ojukwu continue to be in a human state?
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by Nobody: 8:41am On Dec 30, 2011
Baba_Eleko:

Of course Biance enjoyed Ojukwu's manhood while he lived.   grin grin

Hahahaha so how did patience know about this ? Did she also taste the magic stick ?
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by kokoA(m): 8:45am On Dec 30, 2011
freecocoa:

^
Have all your fun dear,I'm not trying to spoil it,all I'm saying is[b]LEAVE THE GREAT OJUKWU OUT OF YOUR JOK [/b]

"Ojukwu is a great man, he died but his manhood lives on" shocked shocked

Just imagine if you were Chief Ojukwu's family translator (asuming there are members of his family that doesn't understand english). How would you have translated the above statement to igbo at that moment considering what comes to an average Nigerian's mind when the word manhood is mentioned, grin grin Tell us.
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by Nobody: 8:52am On Dec 30, 2011
kokoA:

Just imagine if you were Chief Ojukwu's family translator (asuming there are members of his family that doesn't understand english). How would you have translated the above statement to igbo at that moment considering what comes to an average Nigerian's mind when the word manhood is mentioned, grin grin Tell us.

Why use ''manhood'' when ''legacy'' would have summed everything thing up ? How do you align the whole biafara struggle with a weak word like manhood ?
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by kokoA(m): 8:56am On Dec 30, 2011
^^^^

She been wan show us say she don improve naw grin grin
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by sniperwolf(m): 8:57am On Dec 30, 2011
Patience is a disgrace to Nigerian's academic system.
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by Nobody: 8:59am On Dec 30, 2011
Improve for knowingly using manhood in place of leagcy ? Abeg that winch no fit improve at all.
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by safarigirl(f): 9:39am On Dec 30, 2011
" We ÄŁĻ have Aids, only that some of us are positive ǡŋ₫ others are negative"

"I sympathise with the late family og Ojukwu"

Classics
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by freecocoa(f): 9:42am On Dec 30, 2011
Akainzo:

On the above posts, even by the definitions you have enumerated, she is completely wrong!

i. State of being a man - You can only be in the state of being a man when you can perform the functions of a man, and except na by winch, Ojukwu cannot definitely continue to perform the functions of a man.
ii. traditional manly qualities - Which of them can Ojukwu continue to display? courage? Bravery? Protection of wife and family? Speech? or what is living on?
iii. State of being human - I need not say anything on this or does Ojukwu continue to be in a human state?

[b]okay fine,in the above post after listing the meaning of "manhood" I said etc meaning it still has more meanings.
One of those meanings is,
MALENESS as DISTINGUISHED from femaleness or femininity,
Now I'll use this to explain that sentence.
It simply means Ojukwu is dead but the fact that he was a man and a great one at that lives on.
Further breaking it down
To distinguish something is to make it conspicuous(easily seen) by excellence,noted,eminent, famous etc. He is dead but his legacy which is very well accepted by his people lives on.
I'm not disputing that she could have used another word making it a lot easier to understand,all I'm saying is hard as it may seem or look,that sentence is CORRECT,she may not know this, I've said over and over again that she may have gotten lucky but let's not loose sight of the purpose of the thread,which is her blunders,take it or leave it that statement isn't one of them.

P.S any further question should be referred to the dictionary abeg.[/b]
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by Nobody: 9:46am On Dec 30, 2011
dunno which is funnier dame pjs bombs, or the ridiculous attempts to defend them
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by Nobody: 9:49am On Dec 30, 2011
oyb:

dunno which is funnier dame pjs bombs, or the ridiculous attempts to defend them

The thing tire me o.Atleast all of us can't be stu-pid,that i know of !
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by freecocoa(f): 10:02am On Dec 30, 2011
kokoA:

Don't misunderstand me please,I acknowledge that using another term would have been a lot better,I'm just trying to make it clear that though weird as it looks,the sentence is in context.

Many nigerians dey over do even when them sef na olodo.
Assuming this is an examination would you fail her because an average nigerian understands it only in the light he sees it?

Seriously I'm not doing this in her defense,just pointing out something.
Many people on this thread are gbagauing yet laughing at someone else, e make sense to you? Abeg make una free me and that statement jare.
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by freecocoa(f): 10:05am On Dec 30, 2011
oyb:

Don't get it twisted,not defending THEM just ONE out of All. get used to that.
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by doctokwus: 10:08am On Dec 30, 2011
Was watching d oda day wen police officers wives,led by IG's wife Ringim, went to pay her a visit& comparing d way d latter delivered her prepared speech& dame Patience's own delivery,u wud not but feel ashamed to see how flawless mrs Ringim's own was compared to d laboured& painfully slow delivery of d 1st lady.U come out wt d impression of telling s/body to take d speech frm her& complete d rest to save her frm a very burdensome task,it was simply painful to watch.
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by Nobody: 10:11am On Dec 30, 2011
freecocoa:

okay fine,in the above post after listing the meaning of "manhood" I said etc meaning it still has more meanings.
 One of those meanings is,
MALENESS as DISTINGUISHED from femaleness or femininity,
Now I'll use this to explain that sentence.
 It simply means Ojukwu is dead but the fact that he was a man and a great one at that lives on.
 Further breaking it down
To distinguish something is to make it conspicuous(easily seen) by excellence,noted,eminent, famous etc.   He is dead [b]but his legacy
which is very well accepted by his people lives on.
  I'm not disputing that she could have used another word making it a lot easier to understand,all I'm saying is hard as it may seem or look,that sentence is CORRECT,she may not know this, I've said over and over again that she may have gotten lucky but let's not loose sight of the purpose of the thread,which is her blunders,take it or leave it that statement isn't one of them.

P.S any further question should be referred to the dictionary abeg.[/b]
I can't help but laugh at this weak attempt to defend yourself. Someone has in fact rightly pointed out that none of the meanings attributable to manhood justifies the use of that word. To substitute it with "legacy" as you are attempting to do is indeed a long shot away from the real thing. No! Manhood and legacy are not synonymous. She made a huge mistake. His "manhood" cannot continue living, only what his supposed "manhood" leaves behind can do so. Check a dictionary, check the use of this word in modern literature, and you find that manhood cannot be attributed to a dead person. It'll be oxymoronic (hehehe lol)!!
In addition, it's almost impossible to let her pass. It's simply unforgivable. Relax your mind a bit and learn that in the English Language, not every correct word or sentence is correct . That'd be like saying "Freecocoa is a boy" is correct merely because the statement has no errors. Semantics, and not always syntax, plays a huge role in determining if a statement is disagreeable or not.
A good speech writer would never allow such construction to pass, if only because it's bound to be misinterpreted. An editor will mostly certainly strike it out for fear of communicating the wrong thing. A crafty writer will only allow it, if he intends to play on words or use pun as an instrument. Dear Freecocoa, English is more than just putting down words and checking them against the dictionary. . . .it's much more than running spellcheck on MSword. It's not only the use of words, but of sentences. . . .and it is as much about accurate and appropriate communication.
if Mrs. Jonathan had made no English errors before today, but had committed this really foul one, I'd be the first to suggest a really good English tutor. Oh my! this simply is unpardonable!! angry
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by Nobody: 10:14am On Dec 30, 2011
freecocoa:

Don't misunderstand me please,I acknowledge that using another term would have been a lot better,I'm just trying to make it clear that though weird as it looks,the sentence is in context.

Many nigerians dey over do even when them sef na olodo.
Assuming this is an examination would you fail her because an average nigerian understands it only in the light he sees it?

Seriously I'm not doing this in her defense,just pointing out something.
Many people on this thread are gbagauing yet laughing at someone else, e make sense to you? Abeg make una free me and that statement jare.

Yes, I'd fail her! angry. . . or better, I might call her over to explain her English, there and then she'd give me good reasons to FAIL HER!!
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by kruku: 10:36am On Dec 30, 2011
embarassed
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by freecocoa(f): 10:37am On Dec 30, 2011
^
No point dragging it any further cos I know that you'll never agree with me especially on this thread as we all know the purpose of it.

But before I rest my case,note that I said its correct in the CONTEXT it was used,I never said all sentences or words are correct cos they have no error(s).

Anyways if we want to go into modern day literature, and finding the oxymoron in my sentence,that one go turn another thing entirely so,I take my leave,my own is people should leave ojukwu out of the case.

Btw if you are a lecturer,I pity your students.you go wicked well well. undecided lipsrsealed angry
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by Nobody: 11:01am On Dec 30, 2011
grin grin
freecocoa:

^
No point dragging it any further cos I know that you'll never agree with me especially on this thread as we all know the purpose of it.

But before I rest my case,note that I said its correct in the CONTEXT it was used,I never said all sentences or words are correct cos they have no error(s).

Anyways if we want to go into modern day literature, and finding the oxymoron in my sentence,that one go turn another thing entirely so,I take my leave,my own is people should leave ojukwu out of the case.

Btw if you are a lecturer,I pity your students.you go wicked well well. undecided lipsrsealed angry
well. . . am no lecturer! grin. We just should put this right where they belong.
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by DRANOEL(m): 11:15am On Dec 30, 2011
i laff sote i begin throw up!! not at mrs. umbrerra though,actually at the one making a dumb effort defending manhood!
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by freecocoa(f): 11:35am On Dec 30, 2011
sauer:

grin ;Dwell. . . am no lecturer! grin. We just should put this right where they belong.
okay o,you just reminded me of one lecturer sha. grin
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by Josyrogers(m): 12:19pm On Dec 30, 2011
@freecocoa
Me thinks you are very dumb. Don't be mad! But think, why stupidly defend Madam Patience use of words when you didn't write her speech, nor knew what her real intention was before she came on air to flabbergast us with such ridiculous choice of words? Mrs Jonathan does not give a cow's tail if she's right or wrong. Else she would have made effort to speak better english.
Stop making a nuisance of yourself. Please.

Abi you be her chidreens from her fellow widows
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by freecocoa(f): 12:36pm On Dec 30, 2011
^
No be NL we dey?its not a new thing to be called dumb or a nuisance, so why would I be mad? Guy na you get your hand and keyboard,type away man,I could care less.
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by kokoA(m): 12:38pm On Dec 30, 2011
can you guys just enjoy the fun and leave freecocoa alone already?
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by Josyrogers(m): 12:39pm On Dec 30, 2011
Oh my!! I can no longer pronounce ''umbrella'' properly!!!!
What comes out of my mouth is ''umblerra''!!!
If anyone so mention the word ''umblerra'', ''umbrerra'',,

Um-bre-lla, yeeeeeh thank God!! I can now pronounce it!

Umblerraaa!!!!!
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by RuuDie(m): 1:39pm On Dec 30, 2011
I really do not care if this thread was solely created to ridicule or mock the first lady or even the entire first family. . . . . . .they have only themselves to blame for allowing it get to this level!

Really, I cover my head in shame. . . . . .the lady in question here holds degrees from Naija higher institutions and has served in various offices and capacities (going by the Wiki bio) - how does this reflect on us as a people generally; our educational system, even our processes of employment!? We should really be worried. . . . .
I don't know why the people close to her are not trying to help her 'brush up'; for all we know sef, this might well be another gimmick by the ruling party, this is afterall, politics and it is only the end that justifies whatever they seek - but if its only gonna take such 'public lambasting' to get that woman 'upgraded' or quietened significantly, then so be it, I so no reason why she shouldn't be mocked and laughed at!
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by unrattled: 2:05pm On Dec 30, 2011
Fellow Nigerians: On behalf of my husband, His Excellency Dr. Goodluck Ebele Azikiwe Jonathan, I want to thank you all for answering my call to please pless ya hands on the umblera everywhere and every time. My fellow widows and fellow shidrens, this has been a long journey.

From the market stalls of Abakaliki to the farmsteads of Zungeru, you listened to my voice and voted massively for my husband irrespective of your nationality. We are truly grateful. God is on the throne and it is well.

Now that we have finish election, I congratulate Professor Attahiru Jega and all the members of INEC for their success. The enemies tried but Nigeria has finally done it. Even all the international people who came to watch the election to make sure we do it properly, I am sure that when they report back to all the people that send them here to come and watch the election, they will say that Nigeria has carry third position in the business of democracy in Africa after South Africa and Ghana. This is a big ashivment my fellow Nigerians because it is not easy to carry third in democracy in the whole of Africa. Irrespective of my nationality, I am proud of Nigeria and Nigerians. If we continue like this, we will carry forst in 2015 by the special grace of God.

As I have told you before, my husband and Sambo is a good people and they will always deliver the dividends of this new democracy that you have awarded them. To all the faithful PDP members who voted umblera irrespective of your political affiliation, I say continue to have faith in our great party. To members of other political parties who did not vote for us irrespective of your political affiliation, we shall try to earn your trust and my husband will try to be the President of all of you. To the millions of youths who answered our call to come under the umblera, God will reward you by making you leaders of tomorrow. And if you have not already done so, please go to Facebook and like your President so as to move Nigeria forward with him. I am pleased to inform you that we are going to do raffle draw on Facebook for young friends of the president. The youth that carry forst will get to stand behind Chief Tony Anenih, Chief Bode George, and Baba Obasanjo on the presidential podium during inauguration ceremony on May 29, 2011.

To all my fellow Senators and Reps who also won election, remember that you were all once a shidren like the President so don’t go to the National Assembly and be making life difficult for him again. We need your cooperation to move Nigeria forward. Sometimes, the National Assembly will always be sitting on the budget for a long time and the president will not be able to do dehvehlopement projects. They will then carry rumour and talk opata that he spent excess crude money if he tries to look for another money to spend for dehvehlopement projects. I appeal to you to cooperate with him in the coming dispensation.

I also appeal to my fellow brothers and sisters who have just been elected Governors or declared Governors by tribunal especially in the rascality states of the southwest. Even if you are not umblera Governor, it will be good for you to cooperate with Ebele in the Governor’s foroom so as to move Nigeria forward. Do not do like Bukola Saraki who turn himself to president one time like this just because he was chairman of Governor’s foroom. As for our eminent stakeholders like Dimeji Bankole, Bode George, Iyiola Omisore, Olagunsoye Oyinlola, Gbenga Daniel, Bayo Alao Akala, Iyabo Obasanjo and so on and so forth who lost out to the rascals in that part of Nigeria, let me assure you, my brothers and sisters, that Ebele will try to find something for them, maybe Ambassador or Minister or board chairman, so that they can carry their experience back inside government and uphold our beloved Baba Obasanjo’s legacy as the founder of modern Nigeria.

I want to seize this opportunity to appeal to all the people that are fighting and killing in the north to accept the results of this election and let us build Nigeria together. They should remember that the life of every Nigerian is precious and we should not be killing ourselves to become widows. The killers should remember that it was a woman who born them. They were once a shidren and now adult now they are killing women and children and making some children a widow all over the north. I appeal to them to stop the violent.

Finally my fellow Nigerians, I wish to remember you all that we need to start working for 2015 as from today now that you have given my husband his first term so that he can carry second term in 2015. We all know that only one term will not be enough for all the big big dehvehlopement projects that he wants to do for great country.

Pless ya hands for progress!
Pless ya hands for unity!
Pless ya hands for the Federal Republic of Nigeria!

Yours Sincerely,
Her Excellency Dr. Dame Patience Jonathan, JP, NTA, CSSP, NGO
First Lady, The Federal Republic of Nigeria

Mordafaaken brilliant.
Hencefight, U are hereby award the fellow widows award (FWA) 2011
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by IYANGBALI: 2:32pm On Dec 30, 2011
abeg make una leave free brest grin grin grin grin grin sorry i mean freecocoa alone o
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by blackweaver(m): 2:50pm On Dec 30, 2011
i don't know why people are defending the woman sef, even leaders of "civilized" countries have been made fun of
(if you don't believe me just watch the daily show on cnn) and sometimes for less "shortcomings". The fact still remains that we
have freedom of speech. And besides when someone in such a position makes such grammatical blunders it's an embarassment -
at least to the youth if no one else. Believe me if michelle Obama made a grammatical error like the ones that first lady made, it will be in the news
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by Ajengogo(m): 3:33pm On Dec 30, 2011
It's quite disheartening for Nigeria to have this kind of First Lady at this stage of our National life. If these grammatical concorctions were to have oozed from the mouths of the likes of Tafawa Balewa's wife, Ahmadu Bello's wife, Nnamdi Azikiwe's wife, etc.; it would have been understable knowing fully well that few women were educated then. We are now fifty-something years into our independence; and the best first family we can present is what we have presently In terms of personality, charisma, national brand/pride, eloquence, leadership and sagacity, methink this family has fallen far far far below any benchmark one can imagine in most respected nations of the world. This is so sad.

Come to think of it, both of them (President & wife) are products of uniport. Isn't that a big dent on the quality of education in that university? I am just wondering!!! No ill feelings folks!!!
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by youngmyles: 4:24pm On Dec 30, 2011
She also said " Thank God the doctors are responding to treatment"

She is the true definition of a 'national disaster' grin
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by adaphik(f): 4:38pm On Dec 30, 2011
blackweaver:

i don't know why people are defending the woman sef, even leaders of "civilized" countries have been made fun of
(if you don't believe me just watch the daily show on cnn) and sometimes for less "shortcomings". The fact still remains that we
have freedom of speech. And besides when someone in such a position makes such grammatical blunders it's an embarassment -
at least to the youth if no one else. Believe me if michelle Obama made a grammatical error like the ones that first lady made, it will be in the news
spot on

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Governor Ambode Dancing Shoki At The One-Lagos-Fiesta / Court Sacks 20 Cross River Lawmakers For Defecting To APC / Okey Ahiwe Emerges Abia PDP Governorship Candidate (See Votes)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.