Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,230 members, 7,815,299 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:27 AM

The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 (33827 Views)

New Photo Of Patience Jonathan / Lol Caption This Photo Of Patience Jonathan And Rotimi Amaechi! / GEJ's Speeches Used Against Him In APC Sponsored Newspaper Adverts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by stanleybiggie(m): 9:39pm On Dec 29, 2011
What's wrong wiv no6
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by Nobody: 9:39pm On Dec 29, 2011
freecocoa:

The first lady sure makes a lot of blunders in english language but all you laughing about"ojukwu is dead but his manhood lives on" are kinda dumb.

That sentence is a 100% percent CORRECT,manhood is not only another name for the manliness,check your dictionaries,its also

THE STATE OF BEING A MAN(adult male or maturity)
TRADITIONAL MANLY QUALITIES.
THE STATE OF BEING HUMAN etc

Laugh at all her mistakes but the above is not one of them(maybe she got lucky) its just ironic to laugh at this when you don't even know the joke's on you.          

That really is nothing in defence of her. While I do not encourage laughing at anyone for making grammatical errors, I must argue that Patience's mention of Ojukwu's manhood is in every way wrong. Also, your little ramble does not sufficiently defend her. Manhood might very well mean every other different thing, but you fail to understand that constantly implying a meaning for a word can cause the word to completely take this meaning, with every other meaning paling before this central meaning. Factor in cultural use and regional preferences and you have that virtually all Nigerians are bound to misinterpret that choice of word, even if she meant it the other way. If this is the case, as is evidently seen on this minor thread, then she has simply not communicated rightly. "Manhood" was definitely a massively wrong choice of word, not when there were countless other synonyms to choose from!  angry
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by isalegan2: 10:42pm On Dec 29, 2011
She's a wife and mother; she holds no elective office.  Until she becomes a politician in her own right, or if there's allegations of law-breaking on her part, deal with her husband.  I don't think too many guys will allow anyone to mock their wives.  Even Jonathan might work up the nerve to stand up and beat you down if you talk badly about his wife to his face.

There are so many threads about the woman.  Is she that hateful?  I think a thread about whether or not she used her husband's position to steal money is more appropriate, IMHO.

P.S.: That wasn't a response to Sauer's post above. Just a general contribution to the thread.
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by seankay(m): 11:00pm On Dec 29, 2011
I sympathise with d late family members of ojukwu
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by moremi2008(m): 11:17pm On Dec 29, 2011
isale_gan2:

She's a wife and mother; she holds no elective office.  Until she becomes a politician in her own right, or if there's allegations of law-breaking on her part, deal with her husband.  I don't think too many guys will allow anyone to mock their wives.  Even Jonathan might work up the nerve to stand up and beat you down if you talk badly about his wife to his face.

There are so many threads about the woman.  Is she that hateful?  I think a thread about whether or not she used her husband's position to steal money is more appropriate, IMHO.

P.S.: That wasn't a response to Sauer's post above.  Just a general contribution to the thread.

If she holds no elected office and isn't a politician, then why won't she shut-up and stop embarrassing Nigeria?! Why must she open her mouth to give speeches full of horrendous grammatical and syntax errors? Doesn't she claim a university degree from Uniport? Were her classes taught in Delta language? Was her final project written in pidgin? Where was she when her classmates were learning how to communicate in the English language? Selling pepper at the market? Please, stop defending the indefensible. That woman is a disgrace to the nation.
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by bsparks: 11:26pm On Dec 29, 2011
freecocoa:

The first lady sure makes a lot of blunders in english language but all you laughing about"ojukwu is dead but his manhood lives on" are kinda dumb.

That sentence is a 100% percent CORRECT,manhood is not only another name for the manliness,check your dictionaries,its also

THE STATE OF BEING A MAN(adult male or maturity)
TRADITIONAL MANLY QUALITIES.
THE STATE OF BEING HUMAN etc

Laugh at all her mistakes but the above is not one of them(maybe she got lucky) its just ironic to laugh at this when you don't even know the joke's on you.          

Whatever tongue; it's my favourite of the lot and I'm sticking with it, ab initio inference et al
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by ajanaku2(m): 11:29pm On Dec 29, 2011
I've been in and out of Nigeria and I've met and learnt of a lot a Nigerians. Gawd, Nigeria deserves more than Jonathan and Patience! Fortunate Mammals!
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by obelisk(m): 12:05am On Dec 30, 2011
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by vedaxcool(m): 12:10am On Dec 30, 2011
I barely survived her blunders the year 2011, i bet maybe her blunders shows the extremes of the comedy that rules Nigeria, mahood lives on grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by xynerise: 12:20am On Dec 30, 2011
grin grin grin grin. More pls. Hope her next year's birthday will be celebrated in Jupitar? Her type no dey enter class for school but dey come out with first class.
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by freecocoa(f): 12:21am On Dec 30, 2011
^
Err mm oga Sauer,good points you have there but I'd like you to understand also that, a word which has many meanings may constantly be used making it easy to take that particular meaning,doesn't change the FACT that it has other meanings and therefore shouldn't be confined to the widely known meaning.

Forget that its about patience jonathan and look at it the way it is,if you want to give a proper account of the word"manhood" you definitely won't restrict its meaning to the male Instruments,now coming back to patience,I don't really care about her flaws in the english language now,my concern is that the context in which she used the word is very correct,(though I said she may have gotten lucky) but it still changes nothing.
Whether nigerians listen to her everyday and are only familiar to that particular meaning of the word used is not even an issue here,what we should be concerned about is the correctness of the sentence,especially since the argument is about her inability to make proper use of the english language.
Even if want to maintain that she meant his pennis still lives on,how do you defend that? when I can easily give the word "manhood"a more appropriate place and definition by breaking it down without deviating or changing anything from the original sentence in this case.
Finally,just because someone makes mistakes doesn't mean if he gets it right,it should still be classified as a mistake,let's call a spade a spade,I don't know the particular meaning she had in mind when she made that statement,all I do know is that in that situation,she was right, not minding whether she knows this or not.

Oh and btw if you asked me to explain what she meant,by"ojukwu is dead but his manhood lives on" I'll simply say in another correct sentence, Ojukwu is dead but his manly qualities or qualities as a man lives on, go further to ask me what those qualities are? and I'll tell you,bravery,kindness,transparency etc. He is dead but the stories of his bravery and exploits lives on.

P.S I don't ramble.
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by xynerise: 12:26am On Dec 30, 2011
^ that is not what d thread is all about. Pls stay on topic. grin.
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by freecocoa(f): 12:30am On Dec 30, 2011
^
I am on topic bro,just want to let y'all know that the ojukwu statement shouldn't be on that list,it has no place there.
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by aagarba05(m): 12:47am On Dec 30, 2011
Ah, Mr President's sweetheart! Be gentle, you guys! Is it an established fact that the Nigeria's number one citizen's spouse can't express herself in simple British English? Supposing that the reply is in the affirmative, I do have a piece of advice for her before it's too late. The point is that, albeit a sound command or mastery of standard and correct English isn't a prerequisite for her being the 'First Lady' (as Nigerians didn't ever vote for her), she should employ the service(s) of a seasoned English tutor, given all the resources at her disposal. Otherwise, let her restrict her series of terrible grammatical blunders to the corners of her husband's sitting-room. Or, is it a must for her to go out making public speeches or addresses? Lastly, let her realise that the best Nigerian Heads of State Nigerians have ever seen didn't rule the country with their own 'First Ladies' parading themselves and showing off empty-headed.
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by Nobody: 1:08am On Dec 30, 2011
a dumb and a clown indeed, perfect match if u ask me, i cant just stop laughing. I think she shld be given an award for most funniest first lady world wide
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 1:14am On Dec 30, 2011
freecocoa:

^
Err mm oga Sauer,good points you have there but I'd like you to understand also that, a word which has many meanings may constantly be used making it easy to take that particular meaning,doesn't change the FACT that it has other meanings and therefore shouldn't be confined to the widely known meaning.

Forget that its about patience jonathan and look at it the way it is,if you want to give a proper account of the word"manhood" you definitely won't restrict its meaning to the male Cores,now coming back to patience,I don't really care about her flaws in the english language now,my concern is that the context in which she used the word is very correct,(though I said she may have gotten lucky) but it still changes nothing.
Whether nigerians listen to her everyday and are only familiar to that particular meaning of the word used is not even an issue here,what we should be concerned about is the correctness of the sentence,especially since the argument is about her inability to make proper use of the english language.
Even if want to maintain that she meant his manliness still lives on,how do you defend that? when I can easily give the word "manhood"a more appropriate place and definition by breaking it down without deviating or changing anything from the original sentence in this case.
Finally,just because someone makes mistakes doesn't mean if he gets it right,it should still be classified as a mistake,let's call a spade a spade,I don't know the particular meaning she had in mind when she made that statement,all I do know is that in that situation,she was right, not minding whether she knows this or not.

Oh and btw if you asked me to explain what she meant,by"ojukwu is dead but his manhood lives on" I'll simply say in another correct sentence, Ojukwu is dead but his manly qualities or qualities as a man lives on, go further to ask me what those qualities are? and I'll tell you,bravery,kindness,transparency etc. He is dead but the stories of his bravery and exploits lives on.

P.S I don't ramble.

Just to be clear, how many times have you heard people say that another person's "manhood" lives on after the person's dead? if you want to go into the various meanings of words in sentences, do you know how many everyday statements will become ambigous? we all know what she meant by that but, let's face it, you can't semantically defend that statement. it is not a common expression in both local and urbane locales, so no defence for madam Jona.

dang, that must have been rather embarassing for the Ojukwu family.
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by drstone1: 1:28am On Dec 30, 2011
I cant help myself laughin at dis contraption. Its a coloration of actual speeches of mrs jonathan in a relaxed setting mixed wit so much bile from a mischievous mind. I see in dis woman wot a woman shd be 2a man. A true support, down2earth. Usin what she has 2aid ha man- n SUCCESSFUL AT THAT. Not many sophisticated women of 2day can b dat pillar of support wit their queens english. In anycase, jona made his choice in marriage n he has come dis far by dat choice. It may b laughable 2u n not make sense. So r some of d best decisions of life. I dey laff here 2!
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by susanbussy(f): 1:41am On Dec 30, 2011
I laugh so teeee my kids thought I was crying and were so concern, This woman go kill person.
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by isalegan2: 3:41am On Dec 30, 2011
mufc009:

1. My Husband and Sambo is a good people

2. The President was once a Child and the Senators were once a Children

3. My Fellow Widows

4. A Good Mother takes care of his Children

5. The people sitting before you here were once a Children

6. Yes we are all happy for the effort,it is not easy to carry second in an international competition like this one – Addressing Press men after Female Under 19 Fifa World Cup

7. The Bombers who born them?wasn’t it not a woman? They were once a Children now a adult now they are bombing women and children making some children a widow

8. My Heart feels sorry for these Children who have become Widows by losing their Parents for one reason or another

9. We should have love for our fellow Nigerians irrespective of their NATIONALITY?

10. vote UMBLERRA and press your finger for UMBLERRA

Below is the 2011 complete list,  grin grin grin grin grin grin

cheesy tongue
[flash=480,300]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ux3DKxxFoM[/flash]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ux3DKxxFoM
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by Nobody: 4:44am On Dec 30, 2011
Henry46:

a dumb and a clown indeed, perfect match if u ask me, i cant just stop laughing. I think she shld be given an award for most funniest first lady world wide
Pot calling the kettle black! Just saying, no one is perfect.
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by BabaEleko(m): 4:44am On Dec 30, 2011
Yours Sincerely,
Her Excellency Dr. Dame Patience Jonathan, JP, NTA, CSSP, NGO, GEJ, EFCC, DBN, CNN, BBC, IBB
First Lady, The Federal Republic of Nigeria

grin grin grin grin
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by Basics007: 7:03am On Dec 30, 2011
And to think the admin is not even a year old yet. By the time the 4yrs are over somebody would have compiled a Compedium of Madam Goodluck's Grammar. Publishers must be licking their lips by now
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by Nobody: 7:19am On Dec 30, 2011
Can't still stop lmao @ children making some children a widow.

grin grin grin
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by Dele99: 7:34am On Dec 30, 2011
Bleep YALL! she was never elected for any office and she hasn't contested for any office. The last i checked Sarah Palin made so many mistake during her run for Vice Presidency in the US and she was not condemned.
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by kokoA(m): 7:41am On Dec 30, 2011
Dele99:

The last i checked Sarah Palin made so many mistake during her run for Vice Presidency in the US and she was not condemned.

Who is condemning her Show me! Haba! Thats unfair naw!! Why should they condemn our wonderful first lady who makes us forget Nigeria's problems by puting good laughter in our mouths Nigerians are soo ungrateful grin
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by freecocoa(f): 7:59am On Dec 30, 2011
senbonzakura_kageyoshi:

Just to be clear, how many times have you heard people say that another person's "manhood" lives on after the person's dead? if you want to go into the various meanings of words in sentences, do you know how many everyday statements will become ambigous? we all know what she meant by that but, let's face it, you can't semantically defend that statement. it is not a common expression in both local and urbane locales, so no defence for madam Jona.

dang, that must have been rather embarassing for the Ojukwu family.
judging from your post,its glaring that all you wanna do on this thread is mock mrs jona,take it or leave it that sentence was correct,yes you may not get to hear people use it everyday,does that make it wrong? Talking about everyday sentences becoming ambiguous,if a sentence is used in the right context and gives a very clear meaning,you don't mark it wrong cos you don't understand it or it doesn't fit well into the only understanding you have of it.
Why do you even think I'm trying to explain this here? Simply because this thread is about BLUNDERS in english language by mrs jona,she got this right,why can't you all let that one be? My dear since you all are professors in english,treat that sentence like you were marking an exam script,I decide to use an everyday word which has other meanings to make a sentence that probably may be misunderstood to mean something else by a layman but is clearly correct, how would you as a very intelligent and enlightened professor or scholar in the english language mark it? Will you mark it as wrong cos a layman doesn't understand it the only way he knows? Or would you do the right thing and mark it correct?

what experts in english(like you all are on this thread)do is try to understand and use the language in a way that puts them above the layman,why is it now hard for you to open your eyes to this? You want to show how better you are than mrs jonathan in english, all you have to do is make sure you don't make a mistake while at it. Imagine someone laughing at another's mistake saying"she is the most funniest" what irony.

Please I'm not defending her but just that statement,its no news that she murders english language but as someone who atleast understands the basics of the language,I'll not class a correct sentence as a blunder cos the speaker or writer is synonymous with mistakes,btw you don't know for sure she can't defend it,I mean she is an olodo or whatever but is she really that daft not to know that every organ in the body dies along with a dead body?especially the pennis that can be seen sef. Don't let your sentiments cloud your reasoning abeg.
That sentence is correct and laughing at it means you need to work on your comprehension of the language too. The only way you can laugh at that is when you prove that it is wrong,for now laugh at that sentence but know the joke's on you.

Its kinda funny when many people who don't even know the first things about english laugh at someone else's blunders.
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by ghm: 8:13am On Dec 30, 2011
@freecocoa,

There is another thread for teaching English Language's syntax and semantics. That will be a better one for your contributions.

STOP SPOILING OUR FUN. Okay.
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by freecocoa(f): 8:20am On Dec 30, 2011
^
Have all your fun dear,I'm not trying to spoil it,all I'm saying is[b]LEAVE THE GREAT OJUKWU OUT OF YOUR JOK [/b]
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by Nobody: 8:22am On Dec 30, 2011
Dele99:

bleep YALL! she was never elected for any office and she hasn't contested for any office. The last i checked Sarah Palin made so many mistake during her run for Vice Presidency in the US and she was not condemned.

she's not elected yet she gets paid in billions ?
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by freecocoa(f): 8:24am On Dec 30, 2011
@ghm,that was an error,I'm not spoiling your fun,I just want people to leave ojukwu out of it since the sentence is correct. Thank you.
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by skyred8115: 8:28am On Dec 30, 2011
So what
Re: The Best Of Patience Jonathan Speeches 2011 by BabaEleko(m): 8:34am On Dec 30, 2011
Of course Biance enjoyed Ojukwu's manhood while he lived. grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Buhari Will Assign Ministerial Portfolios / Nigeria Now Ranks Fourth In The World Bank’s Top 10 Debtors / Governor Ambode Dancing Shoki At The One-Lagos-Fiesta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.