Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,022 members, 7,828,597 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:53 AM

Serious Fire Outbreak At Ebute Metta, Near 3rd Mainland Bridge - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Serious Fire Outbreak At Ebute Metta, Near 3rd Mainland Bridge (24809 Views)

Ambode Lights Up Third Mainland Bridge (photos) / Graphic Photo Of Sunday Terror Killed At Ebute-metta Lagos Yesterday / Gej Banners Defaced With Paint On 3rd Mainland Bridge(pix). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Serious Fire Outbreak At Ebute Metta, Near 3rd Mainland Bridge by Nobody: 3:47pm On Dec 31, 2011
atasteve:

Brf address these issues under our bridges. Please you need to sustain what you strated

Impressive! Fashola MUST not allow them to build the lost structures under bridges again. It's dangerous as no bridge is built to last forever. One day, it will surely collapse and what will be the fate of people living under it? Anyway, I commiserate with the victims. Too bad , so sad.

But If I may ask, why can't God, the so called omnipotent, for once prevent all these stuffs? Why? why?? Just asking
Re: Serious Fire Outbreak At Ebute Metta, Near 3rd Mainland Bridge by tpia5: 3:48pm On Dec 31, 2011
Until i read it from authentic news sources. . . . . . .

I think it would be quite foolish of me to believe everything i read on nl given the high number of scammers operating freely here.

I googled "fire on third mainland bridge" yesterday and saw a video dated 2010.

So, the whole thing remains fishy until confirmed through the proper channels.

Seems like 2012 is going to be a wierd year, with all out assaults on people's common sense and mind games will be the order of the day.
Re: Serious Fire Outbreak At Ebute Metta, Near 3rd Mainland Bridge by Nobody: 4:03pm On Dec 31, 2011
tpia@:

Until i read it from authentic news sources. . . . . . .

I think it would be quite foolish of me to believe everything i read on nl given the high number of scammers operating freely here.

I googled "fire on third mainland bridge" yesterday and saw a video dated 2010.

So, the whole thing remains fishy until confirmed through the proper channels.

Seems like 2012 is going to be a wierd year, with all out assaults on people's common sense and mind games will be the order of the day.

I can't but laugh. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Serious Fire Outbreak At Ebute Metta, Near 3rd Mainland Bridge by bigfat01: 4:04pm On Dec 31, 2011
@ tpia come down to ebute-metta to  see things for your self and really if you confirmed if it is really true, what can do about ,you are just another powerless citizen like us here,all you like to do is to argue and argue about politics and cant do anything to change things ,the powerful ones are in charge and MR TPIA ,the is nothin you can do about ,i wish you can just SHUT UP YOUR BIG MOUTH.i CAN ONLY RESPECT YOUR IF YOU can do something about incident like this and nigeria as a whole. cry.
Re: Serious Fire Outbreak At Ebute Metta, Near 3rd Mainland Bridge by bigfat01: 4:05pm On Dec 31, 2011
[size=15pt]SHUT YOUR TRAP ONCE AGAIN, [/size] @TPIA
Re: Serious Fire Outbreak At Ebute Metta, Near 3rd Mainland Bridge by Pharoh: 4:09pm On Dec 31, 2011
Artists document Oko Baba as Lagos goes mega
Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - The Guardian
WHENEVER posterity finds its past missing in the archive, historians are usually held responsible.

To enrich the archive for tomorrow's sake, a research team of artists, have come up with an initiative in support of the ongoing urban renewal project of the Lagos State government.

Unavoidably, redevelopment in most urban cities across the world comes with loss of some identities while new ones are ushered in. Also, whenever the proposed mega city project of the government in power comes to fruition, the history of Lagos has to be re-written, as more structures would have to give way to this urban renewal.

Such loss of physical identities as experienced in the past with the shanty settlements of Maroko, Victoria Island and Ilubinrin, Ikoyi, both in Lagos were most likely not properly documented before the bulldozers rolled over them. It will be recalled that Maroko was leveled under the administration of the then military Governor of Lagos State, Colonel Raji Rasaki. In place of the demolished structures is a choice estate.

To avoid such loss of history, the artists, 27 in number, took off with what is expected to be a series under the theme, Documenting Eko. The first of the series, Documenting Eko-1, Oko Baba, a group art exhibition of works of the artists from their research on extinction-bound timber land, Oko Baba, in Ebute Metta is scheduled to open at the Terra Kulture, Victoria Island, on Sunday, March 23 through 30, 2008. The works, during a preview revealed that the show is an opportunity for people to see the other side of habitation that is so uniquely cut off from the urban structure, yet a major feeder to the constructions of high rise buildings on the islands and the city in general.

Among the exhibiting artists are Rukeme Noserime, Kolade Oshinowo, Raqib Bashoroun, Emma Idiong, Adeola Balogun, Grace Soyinka, Odun Orimolade, Kema Mordi, Shade Thompson Aladegbongbe Aderinsonye, Toni Ogunde, Sheba Onabanjo and Mary Onote Kasim.

Oko Baba, a sub settlement of Lagos Mainland local government council is a very well known timber industrial area that takes a chunk of the coastline stretching close to Iddo, near Lagos Island. Having existed for over 50 years without recognition by successive government of the state, the Lagos State government under the immediate past governor, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu started the negotiation to relocate the 'industrial estate' to a new site in Agbowa, Badagry local government council. Set to execute the outcome of that negotiation is the new administration of Lagos State under Governor Babatunde Raji Fashola.

It would amount to a disservice to posterity if the bulldozers roll over the place without proper documentation in the art gallery, the artists explained. The show, which is expected to be of benefit to a cross section of professionals, mostly those in the creative business, including architects and others, have a multi purpose value for technocrats and policy makers in the business of urban development. The coordinator of the exhibition, Rukeme Noserime, during the preview at Terra Kulture, the exhibition is to compliment the project of the state government in relocating the people.

In their diverse medium such as oil, wood, ceramic photography and textile, various activities inside the timber land from which multi purpose use of wood are derived make the artists' expressions. From Oshinowo's representational piece, Man Alone, oil and acrylic on canvas, Bashorun's Shield, wood; to the clay and rubber works of Kema Mordi, Thompson's dress work Couture Kaftan and Jewellery, Orimolade's mixed media, What If, and Soyinka's ceramic works, posterity has a thumb up for these historians.

Bashorun's Shield, a semblance of Victorian art piece may not be able to stop the bulldozers from rolling over the timber land very soon, but this work is a tribute to the natural colours of wood. Between seven to10 the artist used colours of such gift of nature to mankind as each colour further offer different shades to demonstrate that nature couldn't have been so kind to man.

Oshinowo's brush strokes must have come at the right time to save another loss of history in what looked like a mountain of wood off-cuts, waiting for another round of recycling. Even as a heap, those natural colours of woods could not escape that bold stroke Oshinowo is known for.

In addition to the artists' social responsibility, this project also meant a lot to the creative sector, given the significant place of wood in the art gallery.

This much, the curator of the show, Balogun explained noting that artists, framers and every other persons who have something to do with art gallery should show concern for the future of the timber people.

For Orimolade, her mixed media, What If, , suggested a disastrous occurrence in case of a fire outbreak. "What if there is a fire. Just as in other communities that cooking is done; machines are in use, electricity and so forth. The recent news of fire then gives credence to these fears and brings up the need to evaluate the possible effects of an outburst of fire in such an environment."

Fears like this and others that may inhibit adequate development of the people in their new location are part of the concerns of the artists. The artists who are teachers from the Yaba College of Technology, Yaba, Lagos State did not stop at using the gallery as a major outlet to justify the responsibility society expects of them. They have taken upon themselves the role of activists to ensure that the new timberland, Agbowa, meets the required standard.

They had a presentation for the Lagos State government on the future of the timber workers, who, perhaps, have known no other jobs in their lives, but wood.

Factors crucial to this redevelopment, Noserime, Head of Department, Fine Art, Yabatech said are being addressed. The sudden culture shock for a people that have lived and worked in a place for over 50 years could be easily corrected only if the new abode, Agbowa, Badagry, as promised by the state government meets the standard required of modern timber industries, Rukeme warned.

This much, he said is part of the concerns of the research group as presented to the state government: "At Oko Baba, wood does not have a waste product. This is the whole essence of this research documentation. It is also to highlight the effective role of the government in trying to enhance the whole timber market phenomena in respect to current global trends. This is a very laudable and bold attempt by the Lagos State government."

In her ceramic works, Soyinka revisited motherhood from the point of view of Oko Baba and concluded that motherhood remains the same anywhere. "In the city or the village settlement of Oko-Baba, motherhood is a creative challenge. No matter where a mother is located, household hi-tech gadgets are not what make a good mother. Basic household equipment and strength of character is what make good mothering strength to identify what is good and right; strength to encourage, strength of today for tomorrow. Strength to keep on when others long to quit motherhood calls for strength."

The team's presentation to government, Noserime added included findings on the health implication for the timber workers as a result of constant exposure to woods, a Lagos State owned cyber caf� among others.

http://ndn.nigeriadailynews.com/templates/default.aspx?a=7022&template=print-article.htm

I am very sad because i lived most of my life in ebute metta and i do know that place very well. That is where we all get our wood for different purposes and truly speaking a little fire will ignite the whole place just as someone already explained.  sad

The government should speed up the process of relocating them to a safer and conducive place, my condolence to the dead people and the child in that picture. The bridge should be checked immediately because i don't think it is safe for cars to pass through it anymore without adequate repairs.
Re: Serious Fire Outbreak At Ebute Metta, Near 3rd Mainland Bridge by Oba234: 4:25pm On Dec 31, 2011
Why are people living under a bridge anyway? This is not safe at all. The bridge can collapse killing people underneath it or there could be an an accident where cars can and debris can fall on people.

I really don't understand the attraction of living in Lagos. It looks like a big slum
Re: Serious Fire Outbreak At Ebute Metta, Near 3rd Mainland Bridge by extension: 5:02pm On Dec 31, 2011
only 3 people dead. what a cheap country.
Na waoo for this country ooo. Isreal govt exchanged one citizen for 1,000 pakistans.
In Nigeria who cares. Now Nigerians dont care or value life anymore.
only 3 people?
Re: Serious Fire Outbreak At Ebute Metta, Near 3rd Mainland Bridge by calculusx(m): 5:10pm On Dec 31, 2011
@ poster: I read this post this morning and i'm happy you went ahead and take pics to prove your story. May GOD bless you.
@ all the doubting thomas, i don't know what to say. We Nigerians hardly believe or trust ourselves. I reserve my comment to all those who doubted your story.
Re: Serious Fire Outbreak At Ebute Metta, Near 3rd Mainland Bridge by Fhemmmy: 5:51pm On Dec 31, 2011
Sad to read this . . . But hope this will trigger the people to stop the govt from spending all their money and nothing to show for it
Re: Serious Fire Outbreak At Ebute Metta, Near 3rd Mainland Bridge by highjumper: 6:11pm On Dec 31, 2011
no b small thing a day 2 new year pple no get home to celebrate new year
shap
bad news
Re: Serious Fire Outbreak At Ebute Metta, Near 3rd Mainland Bridge by Reference(m): 6:48pm On Dec 31, 2011
No it did not happen until I see it. I see it but will not believe unless it is video probably with an authentic copy of today's newspapers. No there are no structures under the bridge. It crosses over water alone. No I'm in construction buildings are not permitted near buildings.

How anyone can say these things beats me. There are countless flyovers near buildings all over Lagos, countless kitchens, mechanic workshops refuse dumps, petrol tankers and other fuel harzards under bridges everywhere. Ebutte-metta water front has been like that for a generation. Fashola proposed to remove them after the last major flood that sacks them regularly and causes flooding right up to Yaba. Pity fire has stepped in. For those passing the 3MB and hasn't seen buildings underneath, learn to be more conscious of your environment as it could save your life. These are the guys that do the fishing when vehicles and passengers go overboard.
Re: Serious Fire Outbreak At Ebute Metta, Near 3rd Mainland Bridge by EkoIle1: 7:03pm On Dec 31, 2011
Fhemmmy:

Sad to read this . . .  But hope this will trigger the people to stop the govt from spending all their money and nothing to show for it

This sounds very off base and simplistic. Are you suggesting that the state should build freeking house for every poor folks in lagos or to go to the border and start handing keys to free houses to poor folks from every corner of nigeria as they cross into lagos?

The only solution is for other states to improve their economic conditions and living standards, also for the federal government to institute better people oriented economic policies and not the current situation where the federal government is spending 80% of the national budget on itself while the rest of the country scrambleso  for the remaining 20%,

L agos can not solve everybodys problems or provide for all the poor people in nigeria.

When is this going to stop? When 50 million people crammed inside lagos with shanties all over lagos state even makeshift houses floating on the marina?.
Re: Serious Fire Outbreak At Ebute Metta, Near 3rd Mainland Bridge by bigfat01: 7:08pm On Dec 31, 2011
i am jobless nigerians are dying doesnt concern me thou ,

Re: Serious Fire Outbreak At Ebute Metta, Near 3rd Mainland Bridge by moremi2008(m): 7:10pm On Dec 31, 2011
Watch Tinubu and his boys reclaim the land for luxury villas managed by LCC! grin grin grin grin
Re: Serious Fire Outbreak At Ebute Metta, Near 3rd Mainland Bridge by tpia5: 7:49pm On Dec 31, 2011
it has to be reported by valid newspapers, thank you!!!

the op or a concerned citizen should send them the photos and tell them where to go.
Re: Serious Fire Outbreak At Ebute Metta, Near 3rd Mainland Bridge by Limaoscar: 7:53pm On Dec 31, 2011
BIGFat01, good job!

NL is a complicated place to want to argue with people about something you witnessed. Too many tend to use this place as a vent-off location. So , don't even bother to continue to respond to them.

Some have been on NL so long they behave like they Own Seun Osewa  meanwhile the guy himself do not even try to show, "I run things here" or stuff like that.

If you want to know if this is a habit with particular people just go to most threads and read their post and you will see the consistencies in their ignorance.
Re: Serious Fire Outbreak At Ebute Metta, Near 3rd Mainland Bridge by deols(f): 7:57pm On Dec 31, 2011
tpia@:

the op or a concerned citizen should send them the photos and tell them where to go.

accept u'r wrong or better, not reply and move on!
Re: Serious Fire Outbreak At Ebute Metta, Near 3rd Mainland Bridge by norrisman: 8:33pm On Dec 31, 2011
Some people cant help but dig themselves deeper into a hole. Even the biggest news organisations sometimes refer to citizens accounts of breaking news events over the phone before they can get their crew and cameras to the scene. Why dont these organisations refuse to report these stories until they see pictures?
Re: Serious Fire Outbreak At Ebute Metta, Near 3rd Mainland Bridge by 2mch(m): 8:42pm On Dec 31, 2011
Well this is a good opportunity for the state government to secure the area with high voltage fences. People are not supposed to be living under any structure or infrastructure. What about in the event of a collapse or a car that flies over the bridge? More casualties than a fire. Fashola shoul really start implementing policies to stop people trooping into lagos like this. This is so inhumane. All that free, free stuff he is throwing about will attract more of this. Lagos is simply too small for this.
Re: Serious Fire Outbreak At Ebute Metta, Near 3rd Mainland Bridge by bigfat01: 9:30pm On Dec 31, 2011
10,000 Nigerians have viewed this news and nothin has been done till now,till you and I die for Lagos nothin will be done, i cant imagine nobody has told fashola about this case or maybe he just want to bury the case until third mainland bridge spilt into two and like 2,000 people lose their lives . After all the wahala i did to post this things nothin has been done .NA WAH , DRUNK,
Re: Serious Fire Outbreak At Ebute Metta, Near 3rd Mainland Bridge by Nobody: 10:04pm On Dec 31, 2011
Jeez! That area need to be cleared of brothels, squalor and be cleaned up! shocked shocked shocked. Lagos need total cleanup!
Re: Serious Fire Outbreak At Ebute Metta, Near 3rd Mainland Bridge by Fhemmmy: 10:09pm On Dec 31, 2011
Eko Ile:

This sounds very off base and simplistic. Are you suggesting that the state should build freeking house for every poor folks in lagos or to go to the border and start handing keys to free houses to poor folks from every corner of nigeria as they cross into lagos?

Not to build homes for people, however, i am sure the govt could have stopped this by not allowing people to build and reside under the bridge.
Re: Serious Fire Outbreak At Ebute Metta, Near 3rd Mainland Bridge by princeonx: 11:16pm On Dec 31, 2011
Its kind of becoming scary for people to say any thing any more on this forum. Whatever you say or however you put it someone will jump from no where and start calling you names. A life is a life even on a sick or death bed but in some Terrible, dangerous, or deadly situation or instances 3 can be addressed as "only" not because of no regards or value for life but because it could be worst or way more than 3 people. America lost over 3,000 people in the world trade center in sep of 2001, how I wish it was only 3 people? We've all heard of Plane crashes killing hundreds of passengers! How I wish it was only 3 people that died out of all on board? Someone mentioned middle east where people die in hundreds on a daily basis! How they wish it was only 3 people every time the suicide bombers strike/attack. In my own understanding and as explained in the dictionary, only means "not more" because whatever that figure with "only" involved could be more! Way more!! Make Una no name me killer oh cux I call or follow call 3 dead people only!
Re: Serious Fire Outbreak At Ebute Metta, Near 3rd Mainland Bridge by EkoIle1: 11:17pm On Dec 31, 2011
Fhemmmy:

Not to build homes for people, however, i am sure the govt could have stopped this by not allowing people to build and reside under the bridge.

Obviously, you were insinuating something different. Anyways, im all for the government enforcing it's laws, but short of deporting millions of these shanty settlement dwellers or just let them move to other parts of lagosian state and course same or more problems.

What'sneeded is a root course solution from the federal to state level. Even with this fire situation, thousands of other potential slum dwellers are crossing into lagos to join in or create their own settlements

All these  simplistic one liners don't mean nothing.
Re: Serious Fire Outbreak At Ebute Metta, Near 3rd Mainland Bridge by princeonx: 11:27pm On Dec 31, 2011
tpia@:

Just wondering or rather curious to know how many you sent out monthly or even yearly! Abi you be one of those people that just wait or want other to do everything
Re: Serious Fire Outbreak At Ebute Metta, Near 3rd Mainland Bridge by fm7070: 3:30pm On Jan 01, 2012
it is same people that set Yaba Market on fire that did same to this place.
They have been asked to vacate that place a long time ago.
Another place you may see this kind of occurence is Makoko
Let's watch out.
Re: Serious Fire Outbreak At Ebute Metta, Near 3rd Mainland Bridge by Ossaifamous(m): 11:53pm On Jan 01, 2012
it really happen even someone I know lives there
it's very devastating ,my friend wasn't hurt and his kid weren't home ,that was his saving grace
He told me the fire was started by a woman's electric cooking
Re: Serious Fire Outbreak At Ebute Metta, Near 3rd Mainland Bridge by kaykaybaba(m): 1:08am On Jan 02, 2012
tpia@:

^^ I can't believe you came back to post that trash. You and kobojunkie must be sharing a single brain. We're talking of something happening in Lagos at almost midnight, you're talking bullsh1t about google. angry angry nonsense. Please examine the half part of that brain you're using and when you're done, come back and apologize to bigfat01.
Re: Serious Fire Outbreak At Ebute Metta, Near 3rd Mainland Bridge by Nobody: 1:22am On Jan 02, 2012
Eko Ile:

Obviously, you were insinuating something different. Anyways, im all for the government enforcing it's laws, but short of deporting millions of these shanty settlement dwellers or just let them move to other parts of lagosian state and course same or more problems.

What'sneeded is a root course solution from the federal to state level. Even with this fire situation, thousands of other potential slum dwellers are crossing into lagos to join in or create their own settlements

All these  simplistic one liners don't mean nothing.

I agree on helping slum dwellers but not to create more slums. There has to means of controlling these slum dwellers from resorting to creating more slums everywhere. Jeez! The govt. need to be strict on enforcing the laws and find something useful for these population and chase them out of the bridge areas.
Re: Serious Fire Outbreak At Ebute Metta, Near 3rd Mainland Bridge by bigfat01: 10:11am On Jan 03, 2012
[size=15pt]this happened and nothin still has been done ,the masses are rats who dont mean anything to the government.The Govt doesn't even see you and me cos we are JUST MAKING NOISE IN THS FORUM,why wont any AVERage Nigerian be corrupt when the govt doesnt give a damn about them.GOD HELP US.[/size]
Re: Serious Fire Outbreak At Ebute Metta, Near 3rd Mainland Bridge by ignis: 9:07am On Jan 04, 2012
May God help us.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Dr Joe Odumakin 49th Birthday Celebration In Pictures / Ipob’s Threat Forces Bishops To Flee Anambra / Man Slams Ogun Government For Going To Watch Antony Joshua’s Fight

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.