Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,842 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:24 AM

Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed (45510 Views)

Fuel Subsidy To Go Next Year. FG To Sell Petrol At 97 / Breaking News!!!!!!! : Fuel To Sell At N57/litre ? / Fuel Subsidy Removed - Full Transcript Of Press Release From The Pppra (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by omo9ja1(m): 6:15pm On Jan 01, 2012
GBAM!

NOW GEJ IS SHOWING HIS TRUE COLOUR

HAPPY FRESH AIR
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by OmoTier1(m): 6:15pm On Jan 01, 2012
Beaf:

You are a funny character indeed, bending the truth to make a washed out argument:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_tax#United_Kingdom

Taxes make up to about half the price paid for fuel at the pump in the UK. It is the same across the developed World, even former communist countries like Russia and China tax fuel.
Tell another story, bruv, cos your current one is weak.
Look dude, I do not do Wikipedia. I live here, and I know how the system works! If you really think VAT on Fuel are priced high, then you must be something else! Yes UK taxes Fuel just like Nigeria taxes Fuel. Or are you blind to the fact that of the N65 you pay currently at pump price, about N20 or so goes to FERMA for road maintenance? What do you call that?, free gift as your fisher man sees it?
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by vicade(m): 6:16pm On Jan 01, 2012
#fuelsubsidyremoval there are some really hillarious tweets right there
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Beaf: 6:16pm On Jan 01, 2012
ziccoit:

One thing is very very clear, removing fuel subsidy is not going to change anything. In fact life would be more difficult. We all know how much kerosine costs after its full deregulation. We need a true leader that will be ready to stand his ground and change the present Nigeria way of doing things.
GEJ told us, if subsidy stayed Nigeria would collapse. Mark my,word, he is coming back to tell us different story tomorrow when he fail to deliver on his promises post-subsidy removal.

GEJ has told you that you will begin to see the benefits of subsidy removal in 6 months, so why not wait?
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by bjdon: 6:17pm On Jan 01, 2012
Beaf:

You are a funny character indeed, bending the truth to make a washed out argument:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_tax#United_Kingdom

Taxes make up to about half the price paid for fuel at the pump in the UK. It is the same across the developed World, even former communist countries like Russia and China tax fuel.
Tell another story, bruv, cos your current one is weak.
Well said bro smiley
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by OmoTier1(m): 6:18pm On Jan 01, 2012
Beaf:

GEJ has told you that you will begin to see the benefits of subsidy removal in 6 months, so why not wait?
Like we can see 5000MW ight I was in Nigeria and I came back last week okay. Got home, thought the much blah blahed MW was for real, We ran our generators combined with solars and inverters to stay afloat.

Look, are you damm wicked at heart to always pay blind eyes to the deciet of GEJ and His croonies
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Nobody: 6:20pm On Jan 01, 2012
Beaf:

YOU lied to us that we would see a 600mw increase from shiroro, by the end of last year, why should your master be any different

his administration has hopped from one lie and crisis to the next.

a man without a shred of credibility left, he looked Nigerians in the eye, wishing them a happy new year, while planning to unleash hardship that will not touch him or his bloated government.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by AjCityOne: 6:21pm On Jan 01, 2012
So with the calculation running through my head now, Petro in Nigeria will be more expensive than Petro in the United state? As it is right now average Unleaded Petro is $2.99 per gallon. And Nigeria will be paying around N150.00 per litter. And for those coming up with the argument that Ghana subsidy has also been removed, give me a break because Ghana does not produce crude in the same capacity as Nigeria. And already Nigerian pay 15 to 20% higher that any citizens of OPEC members. If this was IMF idea, can out stupid president understand that IMF can even get their situation right with the European Union. Like FELA talk "IF NO BE CRAZE, WHY FOR AFRICA"
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by OmoTier1(m): 6:21pm On Jan 01, 2012
Even in the UK, the governemnt can put up taxes on cars and fuel 'cos there are options as per public transport you can use. When Fuel Duty goes up, the government freezes rail prices and Bus operators are made to freeze their prices for a further month or so, hence there is very little hardship placed on the least amongst the citizenry!
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Beaf: 6:22pm On Jan 01, 2012
Omo_Tier1:

Look dude, I do not do Wikipedia. I live here, and I know how the system works! If you really think VAT on Fuel are priced high, then you must be something else! Yes UK taxes Fuel just like Nigeria taxes Fuel. Or are you blind to the fact that of the N65 you pay currently at pump price, about N20 or so goes to FERMA for road maintenance? What do you call that?, free gift as your fisher man sees it?

I am not surprised that you lack knowledge of the UK since you are so ignorant about Nigeria, your home country.
Who gives a damn if you live in the UK? Would that change the fact that a litre of fuel cost £1.00 approx and 57 pence of that is tax?

"I don't do Wikipedia." Crap, how about, you don't do truth?

Nigeria is not a communist country where indolence is subsidised. That whole framework for expoitation has been uprooted.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by AjCityOne: 6:22pm On Jan 01, 2012
So with the calculation running through my head now, Petro in Nigeria will be more expensive than Petro in the United state? As it is right now average Unleaded Petro is $2.99 per gallon. And Nigeria will be paying around N150.00 per litter. And for those coming up with the argument that Ghana subsidy has also been removed, give me a break because Ghana does not produce crude in the same capacity as Nigeria. And already Nigerian pay 15 to 20% higher that any citizens of OPEC members. If this was IMF idea, can out stupid president understand that IMF can even get their situation right with the European Union. Like FELA talk "IF NO BE CRAZE, WHY FOR AFRICA"
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Nobody: 6:22pm On Jan 01, 2012
Hilary Clinton: Listen attentively Jonathan
GEJ: Yes ma
Hilary Clinton: Do every thing Ngozi tells you, okay
GEJ: Yes ma

Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Nobody: 6:22pm On Jan 01, 2012
[size=14pt]Whenever any of you here ever travel through Nnamdi Azikiwe Int'l Airport, take the time to count the number of private jets parked by the Apron.
For every commercial liner that lands at the Abuja Airport at least 5 private jets arrive or takeoff.
And 90% of this private jets are foriegn registered but owned 100% by Nigerians.
Most of the owners of this jets are into petroluem marketing in the downstream sector.
[/size]
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by sartorius(m): 6:23pm On Jan 01, 2012
Am not pained bt the removal cos its inevitable and nigeria is broke.what would pain me wud be if its going to be shared among the three tiers of goverment.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by youngmonie: 6:23pm On Jan 01, 2012
i have read most post on dis thread. i havent really seen anyone  who has  really stated the multiplier effects  as a removal of d subsidy. Which is the important question we should really be asking. fine money gotten would be put into other projects, but  how long  are people gonna feel the effects and long are the developmental projects gonna be completed.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by OmoTier1(m): 6:24pm On Jan 01, 2012
AjCityOne:

So with the calculation running through my head now, Petro in Nigeria will be more expensive than Petro in the United state? As it is right now average Unleaded Petro is $2.99 per gallon. And Nigeria will be paying around N150.00 per litter. And for those coming up with the argument that Ghana subsidy has also been removed, give me a break because Ghana does not produce crude in the same capacity as Nigeria. And already Nigerian pay 15 to 20% higher that any citizens of OPEC members. If this was IMF idea, can out silly president understand that IMF can even get their situation right with the European Union. Like FELA talk "IF NO BE CRAZE, WHY FOR AFRICA"  
Thank you, thats the simple maths so freaky idots can't comprehend! Even with their so called high taxes in the UK, We will be buying Fuel cheaper than they will be doing, and they expect the economy to grow!

Common sense will tell you economy grow not from MEGA industries but by a combined effect of spare cash people have to spend. Ask the Americans why their economy hasnt grown at the fast pace since 2008 despite their huge industrial base!
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by werepeLeri: 6:25pm On Jan 01, 2012
youngmonie:

i have read most post on dis thread. i havent really seen anyone  who has  really stated the multiplier effects  as a removal of d subsidy. Which is the important question we should really be asking. fine money gotten would be put into other projects, but  how long  are people gonna feel the effects and long are the developmental projects gonna be completed.

It is a band wagon here - nobody reasons.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by EvilBrain1(m): 6:25pm On Jan 01, 2012
Beaf:

Right, we should allow the bloated, corrupt government to take more money out of our pockets to fund their inflated, corrupt projects. The government has totally mismanaged the money it has available to it, and your solution is to give them more? You are either completely insane, or are benefiting somehow from their corruption.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by doctokwus: 6:26pm On Jan 01, 2012
What is dis rubbish about d PPPA setting a benchmark price for fuel,meaning as a marketer I cannot sell below their regulated price in a so called deregulated mkt.A marketer shd av d freedom to source& sell fuel @any price deemed appropriate,that's y deregulation was brought in.Its either they kp d fuel subsidy or allow mkt forces to totally determine prices.Did anybody set a benchmark for telecommunication companies?Abeg,they shd kp their fuc k ing,corrupt,leprous hands frm pricing entirely
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Nobody: 6:26pm On Jan 01, 2012
Beaf:

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=71371:fuel-subsidy-removal-takes-effect-april-1&catid=1:national&Itemid=559

CONTRARY to the widely held belief that the deregulation of the oil industry will begin on January 1, 2012, The Guardian can report that the take-off date is April 1, 2012 when the current budget would have come to an end.

The hint was dropped yesterday in Abuja by the Group Managing Director of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), Austin Oniwon, at the 2008 and 2009 Yearly General Meeting of the Pipeline and Products Marketing Company (NNPC).

The NNPC helmsman, who decried queues for fuel in some parts of the country, said deregulation was not expected to take off on January 1, 2012.

His words: “I think what people should really look out for is that in the 2012 budgetary proposal, there is no provision for subsidy. And if there is no provision for subsidy, it will be illegal for government to implement subsidy. We believe that when the implementation of the budget takes off, deregulation would then take off with it.”

The lifespan of the current budget is expected to terminate on March 31, 2012 while the new 2012 budget will begin on April 1, 2012.

thats the govt we should trust
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by werepeLeri: 6:26pm On Jan 01, 2012
Omo_Tier1:

Thank you,  thats the simple maths so freaky idots can't comprehend! Even with their so called high taxes in the UK, We will be buying Fuel cheaper than they will be doing, and they expect the economy to grow!

Common sense will tell you economy grow not from MEGA industries but by a combined effect of spare cash people have to spend. Ask the Americans why their economy hasnt grown at the fast pace since 2008 despite their huge industrial base!

I see- so cash flows freely in the UK? LOL. Is this the same UK I live? Why the shout of credit crunch then? Or I dont geddit?
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by OmoTier1(m): 6:27pm On Jan 01, 2012
youngmonie:

You do not need any boy to tell you this anymore, just give a ring or better still if you are in Nigeria, go out and take your 'Okada', and hear the price they will tell you. Like ever in Nigeria, prices always go up and never down, and you think the dust will settler for less?, have a nice day dream mate1
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Gbawe: 6:27pm On Jan 01, 2012
MarcAnthon:

Apparently this government doesn't feel that sovereignty belongs to the people. They don't feel our opinions count for anything. Just a few days ago Okonjo Iweala told the whole world that fuel subsidy removal is on hold for now, indefinitely, and that they were going to embark on more public sensitization. Jon Dumbo himself was on national TV telling us about wider consultations on the issue.

But they go ahead and do this?

So in effect we can be lied to, treated with disdain, and slammed with whatever is the will and caprice of the HOG at any point in time. Why? Because they feel we are all talk and no action.

NIGERIANS OVER TO YOU. You take it lying down or you stand up and let them them know we are all stakeholders in our country and our opinions should count as well. IT'S YOUR CHOICE.

They will build infrastructure and replicate heaven in Nigeria. . . that is all we've been hearing. But what have they done with what they've had all these years? How have they made the same sacrifices they are asking us to make? I insist that you do not reward mismanagement with more resources to squander. It's a simple logic.

All we see everyday is corruption and extravagance on their parts. Whatever 'savings' they might make from this will definitely go the same way. No doubt about it. Don't hold your breath.

At the end of the day a people deserve the kind of leadership they get. It is up to us to determine whether or not we want this to stay.

REMEMBER EGYPT, TUNISIA and LIBYA.

My brother that is why I wrote this earlier:

This is where affairs are heading if one understand that the perfect opportunity may be here for some to go beyond using Boko Haram and crude terrorism to gain what they want.

GEJ has played right into the hands of those who want to bring him down with his deception, insensitivity and outright refusal to align with Nigerians via leading by example , even if only symbolically, through showing that "I and my transformational team are shedding luxuries and largesse same as you folks" .

I have to laugh when the fans of GEJ childishly  taunted Nairalanders ,on this thread, to do their worst.  Are people so simple they think it is ordinary Nigerians they must focus on? GEJ did this because he has no regard for ordinary Nigerians. Those who are seeking to deal with him also have no regard for ordinary Nigerian. They understand opportunism well and , even as they are already using Boko Haram, will just step this up a notch to capitalise on how  they now have the perfect opportunity and circumstances to show government "wickedness" that will make any violent action 'understandable' and any embellished  'glory speech' even more acceptable than orkah's talk about the evil of a "homosexually centred" Government.

Yes , fans of GEJ should keep focusing on the docility of the ordinary Nigerian while conveniently ignoring what is going on worldwide (Tunisia, Egypt, Libya et al) that shows how even the world powers must take a back seat once the people themselves set their eyes on supporting a cause or group. Who is naive enough not to know that many Libyan rebels are themselves racist butchers even as they pretended that Ghadaffi was the lowest scum on Earth?

Like I said earlier, GEJ better spend the money allocated for security wisely. He has simply made himself a big moving target ordinary folks will not empathise with when the sh.it.e hits the fan.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by EvilBrain1(m): 6:29pm On Jan 01, 2012
youngmonie:

One of my earlier posts:

Evil Brain:

Removing subsidy is not going to provide any stimulus. In fact, it will do the exact opposite because they just drastically reduced everybody's disposable income. That will lead to less spending => less economic activity => the closing down of many small businesses => fewer private sector jobs => more unemployment => more poverty => less development.

The handful of refineries that may or may not get built as a result of this won't be anywhere near enough to compensate for all this. The government will grow even bigger relative to the private sector than it is now. And everybody who isn't a member of PDP will get poorer.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by ziccoit: 6:29pm On Jan 01, 2012
Evil Brain:

Why are you blaming god? No be una vote for am? You better stop whining and enjoy your PDP for the next 3 years.

Look on the bright side, suffering builds character! Maybe you people will learn something from this so you can open eye and open sense in 2015.

Good. But to be realistic Nigerians don't normally learn from anything. They are born to suffer in the midst of plenty. Let 2015 comes, they are still going to be blindfolded into voting pdp. What a bunch of gullible citizens.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Nobody: 6:30pm On Jan 01, 2012
why should Nigerians pay less for fuel than most of the rest of the world?

is it a right to squander a finite resource or have some one else pay for it?
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Nobody: 6:30pm On Jan 01, 2012
[size=28pt]NLC AND TUC,  TO THE TRENCHES[/size]

shake off that new year gulder and get down to work or have you also been compromised?

its time for a looong strike, demonstartions the whole nine yards

who do these mudafukkas think they are. empty headed incompetent bassturds
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by werepeLeri: 6:30pm On Jan 01, 2012
AjCityOne:

So with the calculation running through my head now, Petro in Nigeria will be more expensive than Petro in the United state? As it is right now average Unleaded Petro is $2.99 per gallon. And Nigeria will be paying around N150.00 per litter. And for those coming up with the argument that Ghana subsidy has also been removed, give me a break because Ghana does not produce crude in the same capacity as Nigeria. And already Nigerian pay 15 to 20% higher that any citizens of OPEC members. If this was IMF idea, can out silly president understand that IMF can even get their situation right with the European Union. Like FELA talk "IF NO BE CRAZE, WHY FOR AFRICA" 

U freely compared Nigeria to America, but you find it hard to freely compare Nigeria to Ghana? Whats up with that?
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by OmoTier1(m): 6:31pm On Jan 01, 2012
werepeLeri:

I see- so cash flows freely in the UK? LOL. Is this the same UK I live? Why the shout of credit crunch then? Or I dont geddit?
If you claimed to live in the UK, you should understand that the reason the UK has remained stagnat since D.C. took over is because there is less and less cash by the citizen to spend!

If you take out more cash from the citizenry, i.e. they can only pay their bills and that's it, how are they going to buy the TVs, Cars, etc your so called industrial giants produce? Or is it not from the sales of their goods those industrialist make their money?

That is why you play it safe, hence Osborne plan B which is more like saying.we need to free more cash up into the citizenry hands so that they can spend and get the private sectors rolling full speed while the government spending is cutailed behind little by little,
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by dastudent(m): 6:32pm On Jan 01, 2012
Federal govt right from time have not been subsidizing anything. Its just a charade trust me. Anybody in the petrolem product industry knows this. Without subsidy, PMS shouldn't sell more than 40 Naira.

Proof below: CRUDE FACTS!!!

1) One barrel of Crude oil = 42gallons or 159 litres

2) Our Refineries (i.e 4) Installed (combined) capacity = 445,000 barrels per day

3) Actual refineries capacity due to ageing equipment = 30% i.e. 133,500 barrels per day

4) 133,500 barrels = 21.2 million litres

5) Local required consumption (F.O.S) = 12millions litres

6) It means that even our MORIBOND refineries can actually meet our local consumption need of petroleum.

7) The cost structure of crude oil (i.e. Qua Iboe Crude Oil) production;- Findings / development - $3.5 - Production cost - $1.5 - Refining Cost - $12.6 - Pipeline/transportation - $1.5 - Distr/bridging fund Margin -$15.69

cool True cost of one litre of petroleum anywhere in Nigeria;- Total sum cost = $34.8 - 1ltr cost = $34.8/159 litres = $0.219 - Naira equiv.:$.219xN160= N35.02k - Add Tax N5 + N35.02 = N40.02

9) Let FGN refute the above composition and if not, they should tell us how they came about N65/litre.

10) Locally refined products cannot be sold at International price.

11) We really do not need FGN SUBSIDY as there was NONE in the first place.

12) What is LACKING, is the WILL to enforce LAW ON CORRUPTION.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by efisher(m): 6:33pm On Jan 01, 2012
Congratulations all, we finally got it right for once. A new Nigeria is born.

NO PAIN, NO GAIN.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Chubhie: 6:34pm On Jan 01, 2012
Beaf do you know how folks like you die?
Blind loyality at it's peak.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (23) (Reply)

Mayweather Visits Amaechi, Talks About Plans To Establish Boxing Academy / Dino Melaye And Festus Keyamo Laugh, Shake Hands After Asking Him To Sing Anthem / See Photos From Kano Mass Wedding Ceremony (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.