Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,320 members, 7,819,100 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:10 AM

Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed (45511 Views)

Fuel Subsidy To Go Next Year. FG To Sell Petrol At 97 / Breaking News!!!!!!! : Fuel To Sell At N57/litre ? / Fuel Subsidy Removed - Full Transcript Of Press Release From The Pppra (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Gbawe: 5:22pm On Jan 01, 2012
texazzpete:

Is it the same Ngozi Okonjo Iweala that told Nigerians that the subsidy removal was not imminent and consultations were still ongoing?
You have so much trust in these lying politicians, it's amusing (and somewhat pathetic)

If you really think refineries will be rushed out the door, I am truly sorry for you. There's a reason why the likes of shell, chevron etc are selling off all their refineries. It's a typically low profit margin business.

My brother, abeg leave them. They are yet to see anything. Did the current Minister of Petroleum (Allison-Madueke) not weep and vow action over a certain road while handling the Works portfolio? Can anyone remind us of the state of that road several years after she gave that oscar performance? A President who is not prepared to cut even the flimsiest of luxuries for himself and 'awon boys' will be the one to supervise genuine spending on infrastructure? Lest some folks know it, huge contracts continue to be issued by the FEC every time . Are we seeing any 'development'?

Anyway, all I will hint people (allied to the stance IBB took over a chap called Moussa Dadis Camara) is to note that the sheer insensitivity of what has happened now would make Nigerians (if and when it happens) look beyond the act itself in backing those who will restore the real element of subsidy (circa N240 billion according to Femi Falana) and , perhaps in populist fashion, parade the 'scammers' who "wickedly" added over N1 trillion to subsidy. They will instantly get the backing of Nigerians whatever the noise of the international community. Can the "hypocrites" preach after backing the rebels in Libya? This is where affairs are heading if one understand that the perfect opportunity may be here for some to go beyond using Boko Haram and crude terrorism to gain what they want.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by tivta(m): 5:22pm On Jan 01, 2012
According to the PPPRA website, petrol (PMS) is to be sold for N143 as at december 29 www.pppra-nigeria.org/index.asp
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by OmoTier1(m): 5:23pm On Jan 01, 2012
drills:

From a realistic view point I think the issue of fuel subsidy has outlived its relevance, it has been a legitimate means to loot foreign treasury to the tune of trillions yearly. If this money is injected back into the economy it will stimulate economic multiplier effect, translating to increase in capital investment and diversificatn from oil based fund.
Have you asked yourself what INFRASTRUCTURAL DEVELOPMENT  the money saved from the removal of subsidy from disel was used for

Jonathan is a coward Ciroma actually said He was!
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by EvilBrain1(m): 5:23pm On Jan 01, 2012
aikuda:

We all know that removing fuel subsidy is supposed to provide stimulus for development and all that, but what people are worried about is that this government is not capable of delivering on those development. This more of an issue of distrust of the government.
Having said that, I will say lets give them a chance. It would have been noce if the government can provide other forms of credit for the people in place of the fuel subsidy.

Removing subsidy is not going to provide any stimulus. In fact, it will do the exact opposite because they just drastically reduced everybody's disposable income. That will lead to less spending => less economic activity => the closing down of many small businesses => fewer private sector jobs => more unemployment => more poverty => less development.

The handful of refineries that may or may not get built as a result of this won't be anywhere near enough to compensate for all this. The government will grow even bigger relative to the private sector than it is now. And everybody who isn't a member of PDP will get poorer.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by stagger: 5:25pm On Jan 01, 2012
Well, it has finally arrived.

This week, I am heading to a sports shop to buy a sports bicycle to be riding around my neighbourhood and surrounding areas.

Nigerians, we need to readjust out mentality now and start riding bicycles to improve our physical fitness.

I am losing my pot belly in three months, and I am sure our ladies will find it attractive if their men follow suit. So let us stop complaining about the subsidy removal. I am one of those against subsidy removal 100%, but the fact is that by the time Nigerians stop using cars the way we use them, the demand for PMS will fall and the service station owners will be forced to crash prices to attract patronage.

Simple!
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by trimwis: 5:25pm On Jan 01, 2012
Thank you Jonathan for distracting us from Boko Haram grin grin grin grin
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Osama10(m): 5:27pm On Jan 01, 2012
Hmmmn, thought it was april.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by OmoTier1(m): 5:27pm On Jan 01, 2012
Gbawe:

My brother, abeg leave them. They are yet to see anything. Did the current Minister of Petroleum (Allison-Madueke) not weep and vow action over a certain road while handling the Works portfolio? Can anyone remind us of the state of that road several years after she gave that oscar performance? A President who is not prepared to cut even the flimsiest of luxuries for himself and 'awon boys' will be the one to supervise genuine spending on infrastructure? Lest some folks know it, huge contracts continue to be issued by the FEC every time . Are we seeing any 'development'?

Anyway, all I will hint people (allied to the stance IBB took over a chap called Moussa Dadis Camara) is to note that the sheer insensitivity of what has happened now would make Nigerians (if and when it happens) look beyond the act itself in backing those who will restore the real element of subsidy (circa N240 billion according to Femi Falana) and , perhaps in populist fashion, parade the 'scammers' who "wickedly" added over N1 trillion to subsidy. They will instantly get the backing of Nigerians whatever the noise of the international community. Can the "hypocrites" preach after backing the rebels in Libya? This is where affairs are heading if one understand that the perfect opportunity may be here for some to go beyond using Boko Haram and crude terrorism to gain what they want.
The road is Benin-Lagos express way. I tell you, we had to fly in from Lagos to Benin last december and fly back to Lagos when we had a function in Benin City! A matey coming in from South Africa attempted to travel by road and got the shocker of His life! 4 Hrs spent on traffic Jam!

I tell you, the BOKO HARAM would garner more followers in the North and the FG will end up spending tripple on security in this current year! Just watch out.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Nobody: 5:30pm On Jan 01, 2012
PMS now 141 naira per litre according to the press release.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by OmoTier1(m): 5:30pm On Jan 01, 2012
stagger:

This week, I am heading to a sports shop to buy a sports bicycle to be riding around my neighbourhood and surrounding areas.

Nigerians, we need to readjust out mentality now and start riding bicycles to improve our physical fitness.

I am losing my pot belly in three months, and I am sure our ladies will find it attractive if their men follow suit. So let us stop complaining about the subsidy removal. I am one of those against subsidy removal 100%, but the fact is that by the time Nigerians stop using cars the way we use them, the demand for PMS will fall and the service station owners will be forced to crash prices to attract patronage.

Simple!

Good thinking but in the wrong context! Would you use bicycle to power your generator? Would you use bicycle to transport tomatoes, yam, cattles, etc, from Benue to Lagos?
Dude, lets be real, I live in the UK and there is subsidy in form of reduced VAT on energy here! The issue s not subsidy, but the weakness of the GEJ led FG to truly manage the moneis appropriated for it and send the cabal into oblivion. Rather, He sees the options of heaping hardship on Nigerians as the easiest of both, COWARD HE IS!
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by kayalla(f): 5:31pm On Jan 01, 2012
It was supposed to be April. Re they now in a hurry for the suffering to begin.
God help us in 2012.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Chubhie: 5:31pm On Jan 01, 2012
This politricians think say na only boko fit carry bomb? When a man's source of survival is under any percieved threat, Such a fellow is prone to act in ways that seems illogical.
The stage is set! The next 48hrs will determine the trend things take. Let the spirit of revolution sweep our dear country clean!!! Some politicians are making their own moves already-checkn outta of the country now.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by nastydamus(m): 5:32pm On Jan 01, 2012
Omo_Tier1:

Good thinking but in the wrong context! Would you use bicycle to power your generator? Would you use bicycle to transport tomatoes, yam, cattles, etc, from Benue to Lagos?
Dude, lets be real, I live in the UK and there is subsidy in form of reduced VAT on energy here! The issue s not subsidy, but the weakness of the GEJ led FG to truly manage the moneis appropriated for it and send the cabal into oblivion. Rather, He sees the options of heaping hardship on Nigerians as the easiest of both, COWARD HE IS!

Thanks. Almost stepped in to stop him in his tracks.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by koruji(m): 5:33pm On Jan 01, 2012
Sorry for you. Where is your bicycle going to come from? Abroad, imported.

You will still be competing for foreign exchange - nothing has changed except the government is going to keep more of the nation's revenue to support its frivolous spending.

stagger:

Simple!

Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by EvilBrain1(m): 5:33pm On Jan 01, 2012
NoblePat:

PMS now 141 naira per litre according to the press release.

More like N143.56 according to the PPPRA website

Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Nobody: 5:35pm On Jan 01, 2012
Evil Brain:

Removing subsidy is not going to provide any stimulus. In fact, it will do the exact opposite because they just drastically reduced everybody's disposable income. That will lead to less spending => less economic activity => the closing down of many small businesses => fewer private sector jobs => more unemployment => more poverty => less development.

The handful of refineries that may or may not get built as a result of this won't be anywhere near enough to compensate for all this. The government will grow even bigger relative to the private sector than it is now. And everybody who isn't a member of PDP will get poorer.

at one point, i was spending close to 40k a month on petrol for generators. i was able to knock this to 32k by rotating between a 5kva, a 2.5kva, a 1.2 kva and an inverter. now with this bs, i will prolly be at 60k / month.

my barber has repeatedly raised his prices because he runs on an i pass my neighbour

the okada i took from cms to vi on friday, when i was dragging 250-300 with the rider, will now be at least n500

fresh air
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Cleartalk: 5:36pm On Jan 01, 2012
Dear all, i want to sell my range oooo. I need to buy a 1.3 litre engine.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Nobody: 5:36pm On Jan 01, 2012
l just resigned as the Senior Special Adviser on Social Media/NL Affairs, becos of this deceit. Am tendering my resignation letter to Mr Pres. nw at the place where he is playing ludo with Sambo.

If u r interested in joining the mother of all protests, please lets meet at Transcorp Hilton, there will be plenty of Suya and drinks u like
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by maasoap(m): 5:37pm On Jan 01, 2012
Even PPPRA made announcement of #141 per litre! Is setting the price for the marketers part of de-regulation? How can you dictate new price and still call it competitive price? Pro-subsidy removal on Nairaland said govt has nothing to do with business, but why dictating the price now? These people are not sincere at all. I only pity those who are supporting them blindly and making a case for their anti-people policy.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Nobody: 5:38pm On Jan 01, 2012
stagger:

Simple!

do you work in lagos? would you also ride your bicycle across third mainland bridge at 9pm?

as has been pointed out , will nigeians run their businesses on bicycles?
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by OmoTier1(m): 5:38pm On Jan 01, 2012
PPRA must be day dreaming. A dollar is N163 to $1. And I tell you if in the city the price is N146, then in the villages, you will be certain it will be N300.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by OmoTier1(m): 5:42pm On Jan 01, 2012
Enough of Talk, any NEWS of protest being planned for tomorrow?, Sad I just returned to the UK last week, any news guys My head is doing me in typing this, Any PROTEST !!!
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Nobody: 5:42pm On Jan 01, 2012
I think GEJ and his cabinet wants to frustrate nigerians with bad roads, no money to ful genrators, poor health system, and poverty, so that everyone will run away from the country and they can then continue looting the treasury like never before! Boko haram, i think has wrong priorities, these govt people needs to be taken down one by one, cos they dont keep in touch with reality, they will still continue having their govt vehicles fueled with govt money!
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by bjdon: 5:43pm On Jan 01, 2012
pokur:

Dude,u should really get off that shyte u are smoking.Ending govt regulation of the downstream sector(i don't believe there ever was  true subsidy regime) will simply leave the citizenry at the mercy of sharks who can fleece us anyhow they want.
The only reasonable solution has always been local refining of the petroleum products we consume,not importation.
GEJ should first fix our refineries or sell them to competent firms before throwing us to the wolves
lol! Alas I am not smoking anything, just enjoying some good red wine to toast in the new year. Do you not agree that the fuel importing cartel will now effectivly be out of business? you refer sharks fleecing the nation, well we would expect that competion in the downstream sector will put a check to that.I really dont' understand how anybody can want a continuation of the current system which only favours the connected few. GEJ is taking on vested interestes in the Oil and Power sectors and he should be appluded for doing this.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Nobody: 5:44pm On Jan 01, 2012
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-815060.32.html

see the above . this is what will become of the so called benefits.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by werepeLeri: 5:44pm On Jan 01, 2012
Omo_Tier1:

Enough of Talk,  any NEWS of protest being planned for tomorrow?, Sad I just returned to the UK last week,  any news guys My head is doing me in typing this,  Any PROTEST !!!

LOL. Why dont u come back dude?
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Nobody: 5:45pm On Jan 01, 2012
This is a very very bad policy
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by werepeLeri: 5:45pm On Jan 01, 2012
valacious:

I think GEJ and his cabinet wants to frustrate nigerians with bad roads, no money to ful genrators, poor health system, and poverty, so that everyone will run away from the country and they can then continue looting the treasury like never before! Boko haram, i think has wrong priorities, these govt people needs to be taken down one by one, cos they dont keep in touch with reality, they will still continue having their govt vehicles fueled with govt money!

I learnt GEJ is digging pot holes on Naija roads since 1977
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Beaf: 5:46pm On Jan 01, 2012
Helleluyah!
Subsidy is gone, gone, gone, gone, gone, gone, gone, gone, gone, gone, gone, gone, gone, gone, gone, gone, gone, gone, gone, gone, gone, gone, gone, gone, gone, gone, gone, gone, gone, gone, gone, gone, gone, gone, gone!!!!

[size=33pt]Gone!!![/size]
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by EvilBrain1(m): 5:47pm On Jan 01, 2012
Omo_Tier1:

PPRA must be day dreaming. A dollar is N163 to $1. And I tell you if in the city the price is N146, then in the villages, you will be certain it will be N300.

maasoap:

Even PPPRA made announcement of #141 per litre! Is setting the price for the marketers part of de-regulation? How can you dictate new price and still call it competitive price? Pro-subsidy removal on Nairaland said govt has nothing to do with business, but why dictating the price now? These people are not sincere at all. I only pity those who are supporting them blindly and making a case for their anti-people policy.

Have no doubt that the government is still going to be setting prices. By the time northerners start complaining that they are paying far more for fuel than people in the south; or the next time oil prices rise and it starts getting close to N200 per litre. You can bet your @ss that they'll succumb to political pressure and start "stabilizing" and "price fixing" (with a heavy dose of corruption) again.

Deregulation my foot.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Nobody: 5:47pm On Jan 01, 2012
bjdon:

lol! Alas I am not smoking anything, just enjoying some good red wine to toast in the new year. Do you not agree that the fuel importing cartel will now effectivly be out of business? you refer sharks fleecing the nation, well we would expect that competion in the downstream sector will put a check to that.I really dont' understand how anybody can want a continuation of the current system which only favours the connected few. GEJ is taking on vested interestes in the Oil and Power sectors and he should be appluded for doing this.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/439644_gej_obudu_retreat_jpg4dfb50fc6b514955fba55c9280ce1640

yeah, hes right behind them
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by dastudent(m): 5:47pm On Jan 01, 2012
Like I said earlier,we have been forcefully f, c.ked in the a.s, s without lubricant .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply)

Mayweather Visits Amaechi, Talks About Plans To Establish Boxing Academy / Dino Melaye And Festus Keyamo Laugh, Shake Hands After Asking Him To Sing Anthem / See Photos From Kano Mass Wedding Ceremony (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.