Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,448 members, 7,816,038 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:15 AM

Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! (117878 Views)

Attention: Nigerians Living And Working In UAE (dubai) / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Liekiller(f): 10:32pm On Nov 12, 2014
Santino1:

From MSc level upward, all courses are taught in English (At least for ETH and University of Zurich). Hence, you are not required to speak any of those languages. It doesn't hurt if you learn one of them though.

I'd like to add for the sake of clarity that it depends on the part of Switzerland you're in. In the west they speak french, a small part in the south italian, the big rest german. It definitely makes a LOT of sense to learn the one spoken wherever you are. It makes daily life a lot easier, and people treat you differently when they see that you are trying to integrate.

1 Like

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Kingsleypower: 10:56pm On Nov 16, 2014
I carried out a mini research and I discovered that MOST public universities in Switzerland lecture business related courses in English; I intend to study a business course,I am particularly interested in the university of applied sciences Zurich. for those who are students, what sorts of questions are asked in the admission examinations??.
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Kingsleypower: 10:59pm On Nov 16, 2014
how possible is it for a non German/Italian/French speaker to learn any of these languages so as to speak/understand nd write well enough in d space of months
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Santino1(m): 9:37am On Nov 18, 2014
Kingsleypower:
I carried out a mini research and I discovered that MOST public universities in Switzerland lecture business related courses in English; I intend to study a business course,I am particularly interested in the university of applied sciences Zurich. for those who are students, what sorts of questions are asked in the admission examinations??.

Yes, they do. However, Zurich University of Applied Science (ZHAW) has some courses that are exclusively in English (such as facility management) while others are both in German and English. In any case, a level C proficiency in English and German is usually required for most of the courses. As per questions asked, depends on the proposed course of study whether facility management or environmental engineering.

Kingsleypower:
how possible is it for a non German/Italian/French speaker to learn any of these languages so as to speak/understand nd write well enough in d space of months

Everything is possible or so they say. However, I must be honest with you, German is a very difficult language to learn. Throw in the added complication of everyone around you speaking Swiss German ( which is different from German, by the way), then you have a perfect recipe for frustration. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Akoachere: 5:39am On Nov 21, 2014
Hello to the house.please I'm a Cameroonian and understands English and French.I got my degree in a bilingual university.please can anyone help me with a cheap school in Geneva that I can easily gain admission?specifically in economics domain.
Thanks
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Santino1(m): 2:57pm On Nov 26, 2014
Akoachere:
Hello to the house.please I'm a Cameroonian and understands English and French.I got my degree in a bilingual university.please can anyone help me with a cheap school in Geneva that I can easily gain admission?specifically in economics domain.
Thanks

I'm not sure I can help you much as I don't know much about social sciences courses

Good luck
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Kingsleypower: 12:12pm On Nov 29, 2014
Lol by the grace of God I should be in Switzerland by next month ; I speak basic french. To further "polish" my French I intend to attend French tutorials. I've also discovered a university called UNIVERSITY OF LAUSANNE, a bilingual university that tutors both in English and French, particularly for business Administration.

1 Like

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Kingsleypower: 12:15pm On Nov 29, 2014
Akoachere:
Thanks
bro I have an answer for your first question; "please can anyone help me with a cheap school in Geneva", there is UNIVERSITY OF GENEVA, according to you, you are fluent in French and English hence you shouldn't have a problem getting in or university of LAUSANNE Or NEUCHATEL.
Moreso, economics in LAUSANNE is taught in both French and English so it seems a good option.
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by meekmill(m): 10:42pm On Dec 12, 2014
Pls i will like to be in Switzerland i can speak german pls who can work it out for me
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by redcliff: 11:25pm On Dec 27, 2014
meekmill:
Pls i will like to be in Switzerland i can speak german pls who can work it out for me

Your post has alot of intentions attached to it. and until you make it clear by what you want to do in Switzerland, you may not get the help you seek.

1 Like

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by redcliff: 11:26pm On Dec 27, 2014
Kingsleypower:
Lol by the grace of God I should be in Switzerland by next month ; I speak basic french. To further "polish" my French I intend to attend French tutorials. I've also discovered a university called UNIVERSITY OF LAUSANNE, a bilingual university that tutors both in English and French, particularly for business Administration.

Were you asked to provide 21k chf already in an account domiciled in Switzerland or Nigeria?
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by redcliff: 4:25pm On Dec 28, 2014
Liekiller:

I'd like to add for the sake of clarity that it depends on the part of Switzerland you're in. In the west they speak french, a small part in the south italian, the big rest german. It definitely makes a LOT of sense to learn the one spoken wherever you are. It makes daily life a lot easier, and people treat you differently when they see that you are trying to integrate.

You live in switzerland?
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Caleycash(m): 7:58am On Jan 06, 2015
Santino1:

I suggest you get in touch with the school's rectorate. The school is the one processing your visa with the "migrationsamt" (Office of Migration) and it is only when the "migrationsamt" approves/denies your application that the decision is transmitted to the embassy in Abuja, where they issue/deny you a visa.
To provide some perspective: When I applied for the visa, the embassy people told me to check in three month. However, in the fourth week, my school sent me a mail to go to the embassy and provided me with the mail and phone number of the contact person at the embassy.

So, you should contact your admission officer perhaps your school has similar arrangement with the "migrationsamt"

Good luck
pls man...I don't know if u have any idea of such.the embassy said I should check in two months time for my visa;of which I emailed them.then they emailed me back stating that they are not authorized to issue me a student visa...pls if u have any idea about this let me know ASAP. thanks
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Santino1(m): 2:40pm On Jan 06, 2015
Caleycash:
pls man...I don't know if u have any idea of such.the embassy said I should check in two months time for my visa;of which I emailed them.then they emailed me back stating that they are not authorized to issue me a student visa...pls if u have any idea about this let me know ASAP. thanks

Like I said in the earlier post you quoted, it's only the Migrationsamt that authorises whether a visa should be granted/denied. In case, you didn't understand my earlier post, below is how the process works:

When you submit your visa application (and supporting documents) to the Embassy in Abuja, the embassy forwards your application to the Migrationsamt in Switzerland. The Migrationsamt in turn contacts your school to verify your admission claims (and sometimes requests for some documents that can only come from your school) and evaluates (based on the supporting documents you submitted) whether you are "able" (usually, financially) to successfully undertake the proposed study. It is based on this evaluation that they decide to grant/deny you a student visa. It is this decision that is transmitted to Abuja embassy where they print your visa and stick it to your passport (if granted) or otherwise.

So, strictly speaking, the Abuja embassy is NOT authorised to grant/deny a visa application; such action is an exclusive preserve of the Migrationsamt.

Good luck
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Caleycash(m): 8:19pm On Jan 06, 2015
Santino1:

Like I said in the earlier post you quoted, it's only the Migrationsamt that authorises whether a visa should be granted/denied. In case, you didn't understand my earlier post, below is how the process works:

When you submit your visa application (and supporting documents) to the Embassy in Abuja, the embassy forwards your application to the Migrationsamt in Switzerland. The Migrationsamt in turn contacts your school to verify your admission claims (and sometimes requests for some documents that can only come from your school) and evaluates (based on the supporting documents you submitted) whether you are "able" (usually, financially) to successfully undertake the proposed study. It is based on this evaluation that they decide to grant/deny you a student visa. It is this decision that is transmitted to Abuja embassy where they print your visa and stick it to your passport (if granted) or otherwise.

So, strictly speaking, the Abuja embassy is NOT authorised to grant/deny a visa application; such action is an exclusive preserve of the Migrationsamt.

Good luck
thanks once more man
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Caleycash(m): 8:08pm On Feb 09, 2015
Santino1:

Good luck
Good day bro @Santino1;sorry to disturbe,pls I got a mail recently from the embassy requesting for my rentage papers and a student insurance sort of thing,up to 25,000chf accompanied with a letter. of which i have done...but I haven't received any reply from them since then, am a bit tense pls u got any idea of such?
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by redcliff: 12:33pm On Feb 22, 2015
Caleycash:
Good day bro @Santino1;sorry to disturbe,pls I got a mail recently from the embassy requesting for my rentage papers and a student insurance sort of thing,up to 25,000chf accompanied with a letter. of which i have done...but I haven't received any reply from them since then, am a bit tense pls u got any idea of such?

Just let them do their thing.. whatever the outcome, they'l let you know
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Caleycash(m): 12:34pm On Feb 23, 2015
redcliff:

Just let them do their thing.. whatever the outcome, they'l let you know
Thanks alot bro av gotten d visa and traveled already... am in Geneva now.are you around so we can meet?...thanks once more and God bless you

1 Like

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by redcliff: 12:35pm On Feb 23, 2015
Caleycash:
Thanks alot bro av gotten d visa and traveled already... am in Geneva now.are you around so we can meet?...thanks once more and God bless you

Hehe.. no time. I dont live in Geneva..
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Caleycash(m): 5:09pm On Feb 23, 2015
redcliff:

Hehe.. no time. I dont live in Geneva..
Lol...no tym oo,but u stay in Switzerland right?
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by rockybalboa123: 11:41am On Apr 17, 2015
@redcliff and @caleycash. Hi guys, thanks for the info so far but i'd need clarification on the following.

1. How do I prove I am financially sufficient, i've seen chf21k and chf25k as well, which is it? Let's assume I've got this sum, is it domiciled in a bank in Nigeria or do they require the sum transferred to a bank in ch?

2. Am I required to provide health insurance in Nigeria? Because I could not get clear info on the school's website.

Thanks.
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by redcliff: 12:12pm On Apr 17, 2015
rockybalboa123:
@redcliff and @caleycash. Hi guys, thanks for the info so far but i'd need clarification on the following.

1. How do I prove I am financially sufficient, i've seen chf21k and chf25k as well, which is it? Let's assume I've got this sum, is it domiciled in a bank in Nigeria or do they require the sum transferred to a bank in ch?

2. Am I required to provide health insurance in Nigeria? Because I could not get clear info on the school's website.

Thanks.

Hi, how do you do.. Its chf 21,000 and I heard the new policy now is that it must be domiciled in Switzerland which i find very stupid though and as for the health insurance thing, i do not think the embassy asks for it but if they do it means they just started it.
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by rockybalboa123: 5:20pm On Apr 17, 2015
redcliff:

Hi, how do you do.. Its chf 21,000 and I heard the new policy now is that it must be domiciled in Switzerland which i find very stupid though and as for the health insurance thing, i do not think the embassy asks for it but if they do it means they just started it.

Wow! That's a big ask, considering the stress involved and most banks in Switzerland I heard have a minimum account opening policy of chf50k(I don't know how true that is). Thanks for the prompt response.
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by redcliff: 5:23pm On Apr 17, 2015
rockybalboa123:

Wow! That's a big ask, considering the stress involved and most banks in Switzerland I heard have a minimum account opening policy of chf50k(I don't know how true that is). Thanks for the prompt response.

Lmao. Who gave you that kind of info?
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by rockybalboa123: 5:32pm On Apr 17, 2015
redcliff:

Lmao. Who gave you that kind of info?

Lol. I saw it on some English Switzerland forum. And here I thought I was just going to get my family members make deposits in my account. Pheeew!
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Caleycash(m): 10:47pm On Apr 20, 2015
rockybalboa123:

Thanks.
The money will be domiciled in Switzerland... tho it doesn't matter where the money is domiciled...but they need a concrete prove you have such fund in your account b4 coming and about the health issurance you will do.that when you ve arrived in Switzerland; it's obligatory... what school are you.applying at?
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Caleycash(m): 11:03pm On Apr 20, 2015
rockybalboa123:

Hahahahahaha...chf 50k ?!...that's outrageous.u be bill gates son?... you can open a students account with 10chf
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by rockybalboa123: 8:29pm On Apr 22, 2015
Caleycash:
The money will be domiciled in Switzerland... tho it doesn't matter where the money is domiciled...but they need a concrete prove you have such fund in your account b4 coming and about the health issurance you will do.that when you ve arrived in Switzerland; it's obligatory... what school are you.applying at?

Neuchatel. Letter came in today. Should head for the embassy by June. Hopefully, my money would be complete then. How's life over there?
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by rockybalboa123: 8:35pm On Apr 22, 2015
Caleycash:

And what's your definition of "concrete proof"
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Caleycash(m): 9:06pm On Apr 22, 2015
rockybalboa123:

no money lodging...proof the money is a flowing steadily in your account... no sudden increase of money; believe you know all this tho
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Caleycash(m): 9:06pm On Apr 22, 2015
rockybalboa123:

no money lodging...proof the money is flowing steadily in your account... no sudden increase of money; i believe you know all this tho

1 Like

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Caleycash(m): 9:08pm On Apr 22, 2015
rockybalboa123:

Neuchatel. Letter came in today. Should head for the embassy by June. Hopefully, my money would be complete then. How's life over there?
Nice country side@ Neuchatel...brother bring lots of money if you wan enjoy here

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (19) (Reply)

Port Harcourt Lockdown: What I Saw Around The City Yesterday- PICTURES / The Crystal Service immigration Scam / The Following Countries Are Visa-free For Nigerian Passport Holders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.